PDA

View Full Version : Apple Sold More iOS Devices in 2011 Than It Sold Macs in Almost 30 Years

MacRumors
Feb 16, 2012, 02:42 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/16/apple-sold-more-ios-devices-in-2011-than-it-sold-macs-in-almost-30-years/)

Asymco's Horace Dediu noticed a startling statistic (http://www.asymco.com/2012/02/16/ios-devices-in-2011-vs-macs-sold-it-in-28-years/): Apple sold 156 million iOS devices in 2011. That's 30 million more than the 122 million Macs that Apple has sold since the first one went on sale in 1984.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/cumsaleschart.jpg

To date, Apple has sold 316 million iOS devices total, across the three iOS product lines.

Article Link: Apple Sold More iOS Devices in 2011 Than It Sold Macs in Almost 30 Years (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/16/apple-sold-more-ios-devices-in-2011-than-it-sold-macs-in-almost-30-years/)

PlaceofDis
Feb 16, 2012, 02:44 PM
well it does help that there is a big price difference between the Mac and iOS devices but this is just astounding really.

bushido
Feb 16, 2012, 02:46 PM
well it does help that there is a big price difference between the Mac and iOS devices but this is just astounding really.

i was going to say ...

buying a 1500 mbp is different than a 200 iPod Touch

applefan289
Feb 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
The mass gotta have 'em gadgets under any conditions!

OllyW
Feb 16, 2012, 02:48 PM
It looks like the iPad will overtake the Mac by the end of this year.

Northgrove
Feb 16, 2012, 02:48 PM
Crazy graphs...

wordoflife
Feb 16, 2012, 02:49 PM

Not to mention the price of Macs 30 years ago.

milani
Feb 16, 2012, 02:55 PM
It looks like the iPad will overtake the Mac by the end of this year.

The real question is if and when the iPad will overtake the iPhone.

orangerizzla
Feb 16, 2012, 02:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quality not Quantity :)

MasterHowl
Feb 16, 2012, 03:03 PM
Wow. Just wow!

I can see the appeal of an iOS device to your standard person, whether it be an iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad... but I'd chose my Mac over all of those things any day.

Munnichs
Feb 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
Wow. Just wow!

I can see the appeal of an iOS device to your standard person, whether it be an iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad... but I'd chose my Mac over all of those things any day.

Same for me, I will always choose Mac above IOS:apple:

But this graph,,, makes me wonder when IOS devices hit the 1bil sold:apple:

kainjow
Feb 16, 2012, 03:12 PM
As long as Macs keep selling I'm happy :)

ChrisTX
Feb 16, 2012, 03:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

LONG LIVE THE MAC!!! Proud to say I've been using Macs long before iOS was around :D

BillyBobBongo
Feb 16, 2012, 03:23 PM
As long as Macs keep selling I'm happy :)

As long as Apple keep making Macs, I'm happy! :cool:

duffmanth
Feb 16, 2012, 03:33 PM

Not to mention the price of Macs now.

Tilpots
Feb 16, 2012, 03:36 PM
And MacRumors still doesn't have an app. :confused:

Icaras
Feb 16, 2012, 03:48 PM

I doubt Apple would approve, considering the nature of MR. ;)

But you can install a web app on your home screen. Just add it as a bookmark.

Exhale
Feb 16, 2012, 03:50 PM
If in sales, thats already the case in sweden. Though then again the iPhone is arguably having sales "problems" here, seeing thats its not even in the top 3 right now.

Lesser Evets
Feb 16, 2012, 03:50 PM

Actually, the REAL question is ... when with the iPad become a Mac?

It's a few years off, but I'd expect the iPad to morph into the low-end Mac as it expands processing power and the OSX and iOS meld into one OS sooner or later. I'd throw a dart at a calendar and say 2015.

Icaras
Feb 16, 2012, 03:52 PM

Nah, we have it MUCH better today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_128K

The Macintosh 128K machine, released as the "Apple Macintosh", is the original Apple Macintosh personal computer...It had a selling price of US$2,495.

Also factor in inflation of the US dollar and no, I don't think the average college student were buying this in droves in 1984 like they do today.

ThunderSkunk
Feb 16, 2012, 04:00 PM
Well yea. & the more iOS devices they sell, the more OS X devices they sell.

The Halo effect is strong with this one.

Adidas Addict
Feb 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
License out OS X and continue to domintate the media consumption device market?

ArtOfWarfare
Feb 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
Now I understand not including obscure Apple products for comparison, like the Apple Pippin (WOW! Apple actually includes that product in Mac OS X's dictionary! I typed that lowercase and it corrected it to have a capital P!) and the Apple Newton, but I don't understand why they didn't include, oh, IDK, any of the non-touch* iPods?

*I don't mean to exclude the current generation of nano.

Mad-B-One
Feb 16, 2012, 04:19 PM
Price is one thing - margin another. I bet selling iOS devices also makes way more money that the expensive Mac line - and the risk is lower since you can steer production easier (just on demand) and scale it according to demand - of course within its limits.

douglaswilliams
Feb 16, 2012, 04:19 PM
Wholly Crap.

fred222
Feb 16, 2012, 05:01 PM
OK, so there's an order of magnitude price difference between an iPod and a high-end laptop or workstation. What matters here is the inflection of the curve.

Look at the Mac curve, paying attention to 20-10 years ago, then 10-5 years ago, then 5-present. The curve is bending upwards. This is the ultimate halo effect - and as you said, there is an order of magnitude price difference. So when Apple can get the WORLD buying their high-end laptops and workstations, their profits (given their ability to maintain margins) should be a whole new "sleeper" story.

troop231
Feb 16, 2012, 05:16 PM

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=558210&page=23

nagromme
Feb 16, 2012, 05:22 PM
Now dig up the loyalty statistics: % of iOS users who plan iOS for their next device, vs. % of other mobile OS users who plan to stay with that. iOS has only begun to grow!

The introduction of the first iPhone really seems like a bigger milestone in the history of computing than the first Mac was (and that was no small thing).

Tilpots
Feb 16, 2012, 05:23 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=558210&page=23

Uh, yeah. I know. :)

ixodes
Feb 16, 2012, 05:31 PM
Now that Apple is a mass market gadget maker, it's simply no surprise to me.

Consumer electronics in the form of relatively inexpensive stuff is the backbone of Apple. So easy not even a dummies book is required, there's nothing to be excited about unless you are easily impressed.

It's nothing more than entertainment at this point.

troop231
Feb 16, 2012, 05:38 PM
Uh, yeah. I know. :)

Good man :)

Macintosh-HD
Feb 16, 2012, 05:44 PM
This is perhaps another nail in the coffin for their desktops, especially the Mac Pro I hate to say... :(

adrianweller
Feb 16, 2012, 06:02 PM
My immediate thought is "What will those curves do next?
If they continue up at anything like the current trajectory, it's going to be astounding (it already is). The other alternative is that they suddenly flatten. That would be a pretty big problem for Apple, though not catastrophic. Really I can't image how this could possibly happen. So I really think they will continue at roughly their current trajectory, with some flattening. The ramifications of this are amazing for Apple's future sales, profits and market dominance. The future holds more history-making times for Apple, I think. Can't wait for it all to unfold!

----------

Now that Apple is a mass market gadget maker, it's simply no surprise to me.

Consumer electronics in the form of relatively inexpensive stuff is the backbone of Apple. So easy not even a dummies book is required, there's nothing to be excited about unless you are easily impressed.

It's nothing more than entertainment at this point.

...ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ........ ha.
Oh deary, deary me! that's great!

La Porta
Feb 16, 2012, 06:39 PM

Yeah, try $10,000 or so for a Mac II in 1990's dollars...I'd like to see your average Joe plunking down for that today!

womble2k2
Feb 16, 2012, 07:21 PM

Investment versus wasting money

spazzo54
Feb 16, 2012, 09:01 PM
What I would love to see would be someone put together a graph of profits from the respective categories over time... but I am a bit of a graph junkie...

----------

This is perhaps another nail in the coffin for their desktops, especially the Mac Pro I hate to say... :(

as long as you've got anyone who cares about having a reliable machine to do their graphics/multimedia work on, like me... I'd say they don't have to worry about much in that area.

BeardedOrc
Feb 16, 2012, 09:20 PM

I want to see a graph numbers of Starbucks coffee shops beside it...

griz
Feb 16, 2012, 10:20 PM

Not if Apple has anything to do about it.
Mountain Lion dropped the Mac from OS X because in the next couple of years Apple will be releasing iOS for the Mac. Who wants to bet that Adobe is on board for the Mac App store this summer for the release of ML? After that, it's just a matter of time before we see Photoshop on iOS and iOS on the Mac.

sunspot42
Feb 16, 2012, 10:28 PM
Price is one thing - margin another. I bet selling iOS devices also makes way more money that the expensive Mac line - and the risk is lower since you can steer production easier (just on demand) and scale it according to demand - of course within its limits.

From what I could find online, the iPhone 4 has a 75% profit margin. The Mac has a 28% profit margin. And while it's true the selling price of an iPhone is lower, it isn't THAT much lower. Remember, most users (in the United States, anyhow) only pay a small portion of the cost of their iPhone when they buy one from their carrier. The rest of it is paid off over time as part of their monthly bill.

Apple, however, gets the full $700 or whatever the actual price of the iPhone is the moment you buy that phone from your carrier. The carrier makes up the difference between the $300 you paid upfront and the $700 retail price of the phone. Apple also gets a cut of the monthly bill you pay on top of that!

The end result is that Apple probably makes only $700 off of a $2,500 Mac Pro, but they make a whopping $525 off a single iPhone 4S. And the iPhone 4S is a much easier sell, which users are likely to replace in just two years, for another $525 worth of margin...

This is why I just can't see Apple staying in the traditional computer business much longer. They're gonna migrate as many users to mobile devices as they can, as quickly as they can. The margins are enormous, people replace them far more frequently, and the technology is advancing much, much more quickly than it is with desktops and laptops. Those technological advances in the mobile space are happening largely because Apple is driving that innovation, whereas in the Wintel world Intel and Microsloth are actively retarding innovation with their entrenched monopoly and general cluelessless (the inertia of the morbid enterprise space isn't helping things).

zarusoba
Feb 16, 2012, 11:51 PM
I think it's more likely that we'll see both iOS and OS X running on future iPads and eventually iPhones.

That doesn't mean that you'll be running OS X on those little displays: the smaller devices will pair with larger displays as well as mice and keyboards.

Having said that, the desktop OS as we know it is overkill for what most people want to do with a computer most of the time, hence these statistics.

Not if Apple has anything to do about it.
Mountain Lion dropped the Mac from OS X because in the next couple of years Apple will be releasing iOS for the Mac. Who wants to bet that Adobe is on board for the Mac App store this summer for the release of ML? After that, it's just a matter of time before we see Photoshop on iOS and iOS on the Mac.

confucious
Feb 17, 2012, 01:49 AM
I love my iOS devices but prefer Burger King to Macs....

macmastersam
Feb 17, 2012, 02:53 AM

Wow. Just wow!

But this graph,,, makes me wonder when IOS devices hit the 1bil sold:apple:

I would go for BOTH mac and iOS anyday :apple:

ValSalva
Feb 17, 2012, 05:12 AM
Yes, iOS devices are cheaper than Macs. Not a big surprise.

Does anyone else find Horace Dediu to be incredibly pretentious? Just listen to his appearance in Mac Power Users #65. He's insufferable.

JHankwitz
Feb 17, 2012, 07:44 AM

You've got that right. I paid over $10,000 for my Mac II fx almost 20 years ago. They didn't even list my Apple III's that cost almost $9,000 a kick.

Graphs can be used to distort most everything. The more you distort and sensationalize, the better your chances of getting published with it. (Media 101)

JHankwitz
Feb 17, 2012, 08:59 AM

You've got to be kidding! Look at the green Mac line on the graph. It sure doesn't look like iminent death to me. The Mac Pro desktop (or underdesk) gets updated every 18 months instead of every 12. Yes, many are switching to iMacs and MacBooks, but it's far from dead. It's up for grabs as to how things will shift around in sales once Thunderbolt is available on every Mac.

griz
Feb 17, 2012, 10:36 AM
Bigger surprise. Apple still sold the Apple][ in 2001?

tod
Feb 17, 2012, 03:20 PM

Why does everything need to be an app?

confucious
Feb 17, 2012, 04:22 PM

I'm sure there is an app that can answer that...

Tilpots
Feb 17, 2012, 04:25 PM

Ease of use. Text size. Features comparable to the web version. Button sizes. Photo uploads. Forum spy. Etc.

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 17, 2012, 10:26 PM
This is nonsense. A lot of things changed in the past (30) years.

- We have now faster WLAN, 3G and 4G networks
- iDevices are really usable/useful
- Political systems changed -> new markets
- iDevices are cheap, if compared to Macs
- ...and so on.

----------

I'm sure there is an app that can answer that...
Yeah, Siri.

;-)

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 17, 2012, 10:40 PM
Ouch! Why do you post such misinformation? Do you have some Sandy Bridge Xeons or Ivy Bridge Xeons for a (dual-socket) MP?

springerj
Feb 17, 2012, 10:54 PM

Also factor in inflation of the US dollar and no, I don't think the average college student were buying this in droves in 1984 like they do today.

Add $500 for an imagewriter, and you're at $3K. I still have my receipt. Every Mac I bought for the first 5 years or so was about $3K. Got really irritating. But I never stopped buying. In 28 years, I've never owned a Windows or DOS machine.

Mikey Mike
Feb 18, 2012, 05:31 AM

It's a few years off, but I'd expect the iPad to morph into the low-end Mac as it expands processing power and the OSX and iOS meld into one OS sooner or later. I'd throw a dart at a calendar and say 2015.

You're very right, but it's the other way around, it's when will the Mac become an iPad, it's happening now...

A closed & controled system is creeping in... Try changing your "hosts" file or find your "Home -> Library" folder in Snow Lep'd compared to Lion.
X11 missing from Mounting a Lion...

I think there's way too much "control freak" happening at Apple. Read "Inside Apple" & "Steve Jobs Bio"...

Hopefully, Tim Cook may change things now for the better. If not, and Apple fall into closing up their systems way too much, the graph will start heading downwards.

Winni
Feb 18, 2012, 07:59 AM

I don't think it's that far away. Q3 or Q4 of 2013 is more likely. There will still be some "real" Macs - for software developers - but iOS gadgets will replace the rest of the product line.

Anyway. I won't be around in Apple land anymore when that finally happens. I'm going to make my iMac hardware last as long as possible, but after that I'll buy some nice Linux-compatible machine. After all, my job life evolves around Linux and Windows Servers anyway. Using OS X was an experience, but nothing that ever earned me any money - rather the opposite; the last seven years in Apple land were the most expensive years in IT that I ever had. And I've spent the last 30 years working with computers.

RichardBeer
Feb 18, 2012, 09:33 AM
It was bound to happen sooner or later. Apart from price point, the iOS devices have the advantage of coming straight into an electronics consumer environment which didn't exist for the mac back in 1984. Lower production costs, bigger market, and a pre-existing mobile device market.

duffmanth
Feb 18, 2012, 09:36 AM

Yeah you get much more bang for your buck now, but $2200-2500 for a laptop this day and age, really?! I paid $2000 CDN. after taxes and a few discounts for my 2011 15" MBP w/2.2 i7, and had a hard time paying that much.

----------

Investment versus wasting money

Yeah the 2 or 3 Macs I've owned over the last 15 years or so, I've always viewed as a long term investment, but spending $2000 on a computer this day and age just seems a little ridiculous.

Mr. Gates
Feb 18, 2012, 12:02 PM
And I'll bet they would like to count all the iPods as computers too...

"Hey Look at us, we sold more PCs than Microsoft !"

No.....those silly iOS devises are not computers, try again :rolleyes:

laserbeam273
Feb 18, 2012, 03:30 PM
I don't think it's that far away. Q3 or Q4 of 2013 is more likely. There will still be some "real" Macs - for software developers - but iOS gadgets will replace the rest of the product line.

Anyway. I won't be around in Apple land anymore when that finally happens. I'm going to make my iMac hardware last as long as possible, but after that I'll buy some nice Linux-compatible machine. After all, my job life evolves around Linux and Windows Servers anyway. Using OS X was an experience, but nothing that ever earned me any money - rather the opposite; the last seven years in Apple land were the most expensive years in IT that I ever had. And I've spent the last 30 years working with computers.

As much as people think Apple is going to turn all macs into iOS devices.. they wouldn't. In the end, a proper computer with a full-sized keyboard and mouse is more efficient for most tasks, particularly anything that requires processing. And now that most people fancy themselves as a creative producer (e.g. FCP X is third highest revenue-bringing app for Mac), there's no way they could start skimping on the power and downsize everything.

For me, even though I got a powerful iMac, the prospect of buying a Mac Pro has more weight than buying an iPad. I'm sure there are millions of mac users like myself out there who feel similarly (maybe not Mac Pro but same idea).

As society begins to realise all the different type of challenges that we can use computers to overcome, the need for higher power computing will increase more and more.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Apple realises there's a place for iOS devices, and a place for OS X macs. Understandably there should be a lot of parallels between the two, but in the end we should have both.

Stevamundo
Feb 18, 2012, 05:56 PM
I don't care if every person in this world gets an IOS device. The sample FACT is IOS owns its existence to the Apple I/II and the Mac.

In the beginning of Apple it was its COMPUTERS that made Apple a multi-million dollar company, LONG BEFORE IOS WAS EVEN THOUGHT OF.

jnpy!$4g3cwk
Feb 18, 2012, 07:40 PM
Unfortunately, I'm certain that some Apple management has already looked at sales volume and concluded that only iDevices should survive. If that is what they are thinking, they should spin off the Mac division and let the Mac live on. I've got nothing against iPads, but, I need a device with a keyboard and a true multi-user operating system.

Sackvillenb
Feb 19, 2012, 09:17 AM
Wow, those are very telling numbers... very indicative of what the future will hold, in general...

ArcaneDevice
Feb 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
This is such a non-story.

Of course they are selling more. Apple have spent more time marketing and hyping the iPhone worldwide in three years than they spent on Macs in thirty years too.

Not to mention the massive price disparity. When telecoms providers are practically giving away iPhones now (iPhone 3Gs is 99 cents!) it's not surprise that lots of people are buying them.

It also helps that more stores sell iOS devices than they do computers. In the 90's the only way I could get a Mac was to order by phone from one of the few retailers who actually sold Macs. Even now if you want a Mac you only have a choice of maybe two retailers locally. And that's if one of them is an Apple store.

Try buying a Mac Pro in the high street when an Apple Store isn't around. Not quite as easy as walking into a phone store.

In other news Merc sold more C-class than it did SLS AMGs in 2011. Unbelievable! How is that even possible? I mean they are the practically the same thing! :rolleyes:

Spectrum Abuser
Feb 19, 2012, 02:57 PM
I think the true beauty is that the iPhone had sold more units between the fourth and fifth year then the first three combined.

garrettstech
Feb 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
This is crazy:eek: but yet there is a big price difference and almost everyone i know has an iphone, so it kinda makes sense that they have sold that much more than the Mac.

johanf
Feb 20, 2012, 07:34 AM
I really hope Apple will not give up the Mac Pro, servers etc due to more profit in the iOS consumer segment.

But I'm a bit afraid. We see very few new programs nor updates nowadays for Pages, Numbers, Aperture, KeyNote.

And some programs turns to be cheaper and more simple as Final Cut Pro which really was a high end program before but which turned into a more simple and crippled program for video beginners.

Most of the Apple brains and the news here seem focused on iOS stuff now.

Myself, I don't even own a iOS device but many Macs since the Macintosh II.

jonnysods
Feb 20, 2012, 10:29 AM
Wow. I still love Macs better.

jdiamond
Feb 20, 2012, 05:50 PM
I'm a student, and my 2007 17" 1920x1200 Macbook Pro cost initially $2,800 (including the student discount), and I then pumped several thousand dollars of upgrades into it, finally morphing the 250GB drive into a 1 TB drive over 4 increments, memory to 4GB, bazillions of external hard drives, etc. I just checked online, and still, to get a 17" MBP with features comparable to mine would run at least $2,300. And the iPad3 will be the first device with high enough resolution for me to buy, since I have to read professional papers on it, and I bet that'll be expensive.

I'm not happy about the high costs, but I actually need a "mobile desktop" for some serious programming and diagram viewing. If all you need is a little web browsing on the side, then of course an iPad will do fine. Everyone talks about "cheap laptops", but whenever I check on one, it typically has a much poorer screen and a slower processor or smaller hard drive. Thank god Apple still does matte IPS.

Sadly, look how Apple has treated all their other devices that got sidelined. Look at the Mac Pro and the iPod Classic. The one saving grace we have is that Apple uses Macs to develop software, so just maybe they'll keep improving Macs for that reason... And the slowly upwards creeping sales curve.

Here's looking forwards to the day when a device with a 2+ megapixel IPS screen and a 1TB+ hard drive will cost under $1,000... :)

----------

[/COLOR]

Yeah the 2 or 3 Macs I've owned over the last 15 years or so, I've always viewed as a long term investment, but spending $2000 on a computer this day and age just seems a little ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

blackhand1001
Feb 20, 2012, 06:32 PM
I'm a student, and my 2007 17" 1920x1200 Macbook Pro cost initially $2,800 (including the student discount), and I then pumped several thousand dollars of upgrades into it, finally morphing the 250GB drive into a 1 TB drive over 4 increments, memory to 4GB, bazillions of external hard drives, etc. I just checked online, and still, to get a 17" MBP with features comparable to mine would run at least $2,300. And the iPad3 will be the first device with high enough resolution for me to buy, since I have to read professional papers on it, and I bet that'll be expensive.

I'm not happy about the high costs, but I actually need a "mobile desktop" for some serious programming and diagram viewing. If all you need is a little web browsing on the side, then of course an iPad will do fine. Everyone talks about "cheap laptops", but whenever I check on one, it typically has a much poorer screen and a slower processor or smaller hard drive. Thank god Apple still does matte IPS.

Sadly, look how Apple has treated all their other devices that got sidelined. Look at the Mac Pro and the iPod Classic. The one saving grace we have is that Apple uses Macs to develop software, so just maybe they'll keep improving Macs for that reason... And the slowly upwards creeping sales curve.

Here's looking forwards to the day when a device with a 2+ megapixel IPS screen and a 1TB+ hard drive will cost under $1,000... :)

----------

[/COLOR]

Yeah the 2 or 3 Macs I've owned over the last 15 years or so, I've always viewed as a long term investment, but spending $2000 on a computer this day and age just seems a little ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Hate to burst your bubble but that macbook pro your using is not an IPS panel. Its a tn panel. You can get just as good a panel in a laptop for far less actually, around 1000-1400 can get you about what a 17 inch macbook pro gets you without sales.

cosmichobo
Feb 21, 2012, 06:25 AM
I've been resistant to the iOS... but became an iPhone owner late last year (purely because it was cheaper to go on the $29/month 3GS plan than my existing $30/month pre-paid mobile plan with a crappy non-smart phone)

I can say - I'll never ever want to be rid of my Macs... (Macbook Pro and G5 PowerMac) But I am considering buying an iPad now...

Yes, for general web browsing, they are good... But beyond that... For actual work... Forget it.

My fear now, is seeing those figures... if/when Apple decide MacOS is not worth supporting...

We're seeing merging of iOS and MacOS... Where will that end...

InuNacho
Feb 21, 2012, 08:56 AM
I think there's way too much "control freak" happening at Apple. Read "Inside Apple" & "Steve Jobs Bio"...

Seeing as this is about Macs in the past 30 years I'm going to say Apple is way more control freak then ever. A long while ago I remember having an LCII which was Apple's budget machine at the time. The thing was super easy to open up and was moderately expandable with it's PDS slot and mine was used to house a 68040 card.

Something like this would never happen with todays Macs outside of the Pro. Everything is locked down and designed so that you have to buy something new in just a couple years. I long for the days when we can open up Macs again and change things without requiring dismantling blah blah voiding warranty garbage stuff.

JHankwitz
Feb 28, 2012, 08:31 AM
It's amazing what people will come up with to get their name in the news. Hopefully, this 15 minutes of fame will last Asymco's Horace Dediu a lifetime so he doesn't bother us again with such tripe.

AppleBlogAt
Feb 29, 2012, 02:42 AM
I think in 2015 every familily in the world will have bought at least one apple product. The iPad, iPhone, iPod, Macbook Pro are so well made that every friend of mine that doesn't own one, only by touching them, now wants to buy at least the iPhone or the iPad. So that speaks for its self!

Risco
Jun 5, 2013, 06:22 AM
Price is the biggest stumbling block. Not many average joes will fork out over 1000 for a laptop. Stupid comparison.