PDA

View Full Version : Independent Developers: Does the new yearly cycle worry you?

blahbrah
Feb 17, 2012, 01:03 AM
Hello,
With today's announcement, I can't help but think about how this will affect developers' workload. Do you think Apple's apparent movement to a yearly cycle will make it difficult to keep your apps up to date?

I'm not trying to ask a leading question, I just can't help but be curious.

I'm an update fiend and I like the idea of paying 30 bucks a year (way better than paying 150 a year for a gamble on whether or not the damn thing will be even stable) for a whole new feature set, but I wonder if this will lead to fragmentation in the OSX environment where not everyone is upgrading to the latest and whether or not that will become more difficult for developers to keep their app supported for all their users.

Also, is it looking like updating your apps for Mountain Lion look to be an easy transition?

Just some thoughts.

shurcooL
Feb 17, 2012, 01:13 AM
I'm really hoping for the Lion -> Mountain Lion update to be free, just like recent iOS updates. Pay for the hardware, and get up to date software.

I think updating apps for ML won't be as tricky as it was for Lion. It's more of an incremental change. The Mac App Store was a bigger hurdle, and that's already here.