PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using as main OS?

Burton8219
Feb 17, 2012, 01:45 AM
Did anyone take the plunge and make this their daily OS? I know it's a DP, but so far I think it might be good enough. No major bugs that I've seen... Also, for anyone who has done this, can you just do an upgrade like Lion? Basically have your same machine, just with ML as your OS?

ZacNicholson
Feb 17, 2012, 01:47 AM
i am. i have used it for about 2 hours and the only real bug i have found is my spotlight wont index besides that it seems to be very smooth for a beta.

GoGa
Feb 17, 2012, 04:35 AM
I am, and i must say its actually really good! I haven't found any major bugs.

And to answer your question, when you update all you files/programs/everything is still all there.

Brendando
Feb 17, 2012, 04:37 AM
Because I've only just got Lion the way I want it, and I'm actually using it for work a lot more frequently then before, I decided against taking the usual plunge and consequential reinstalls for every new Preview- Dual-Booting at the moment. Once I'm happy at how stable it is, then I'll go ahead and migrate everything over. The iOS integration is killer though.

adamtj11
Feb 17, 2012, 04:37 AM
I am, and i must say its actually really good! I haven't found any major bugs.

And to answer your question, when you update all you files/programs/everything is still all there.

I have used it since yesterday(without replacing Lion) , it is way way way faster than Lion and is actually lovely and stable.

Kariya
Feb 17, 2012, 04:42 AM
Nope it breaks a few core stuff for me and is therefore untenable.

bushido
Feb 17, 2012, 04:46 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

i am but shouldnt have ^^ Spotlight is broken and the mission control preview pictures of all your spaces are low res and full of pixel

realitymonkey
Feb 17, 2012, 04:52 AM
I am no real massive glitches although the install totally screwed my machine so had to start from scratch.

(I do have an image of my drive prior to update so will simple chuck that back on if I land in any issues.)

Burton8219
Feb 17, 2012, 09:53 AM
Yeah gonna test it out a little bit before I make the plunge and make it my main OS... especially since I only have my one machine at school with me.

Liquinn
Feb 17, 2012, 10:08 AM
So if I buy a dev account I'll be able to use Mountain Lion on my dads MBP? He said he doesn't mind me doing this at all. :)

Or could I just put it in VMWare Fusion?

Cougarcat
Feb 17, 2012, 10:43 AM
I don't know about VMWare, but you can install it on an external drive and boot from that.

To those who have installed it: How is battery life?

Burton8219
Feb 17, 2012, 10:55 AM
So if I buy a dev account I'll be able to use Mountain Lion on my dads MBP? He said he doesn't mind me doing this at all. :)

Or could I just put it in VMWare Fusion?

I have a dev account, and I'm most certainly not condoning this, but if you can find the DMG floating around somewhere you can install it on a partition. But I do like how you're trying to be honest about it and buy a dev account. Yes you can put it on his computer, but make sure to make a partition of you drive instead of just upgrading your existing OS. It's a DP for a reason... could have big bugs.

Benjamindaines
Feb 19, 2012, 02:48 PM
Nope it breaks a few core stuff for me and is therefore untenable.
care to elaborate?

Joe HS
Feb 19, 2012, 03:31 PM
On the 4th(?) day and no major bugs to report on a clean install… I just hope DP 2 doesn't break anything.

GermanyChris
Feb 19, 2012, 03:53 PM
I'll probably switch tomorrow..

kirky29
Feb 19, 2012, 04:02 PM
I would, but I just worry that beta 2 or 3 will require me to reinstall it all, not just do an update...

Blipp
Feb 19, 2012, 04:25 PM
Does anyone in here actually has permission to be running Mountain Lion through their developer license? I can't imagine a developer recommending that anyone use a beta OS as their primary OS.

No, you should never use a developer preview as your day to day OS even if you're a developer. Developer previews are updated often and things that work can break without much warning and so on. Just wait for Mountain Lion's public release, there's no reason to jump the gun and start using it as your primary OS less than a week into the dev preview. Yeesh.

kirky29
Feb 19, 2012, 04:31 PM
Does anyone in here actually has permission to be running Mountain Lion through their developer license? I can't imagine a developer recommending that anyone use a beta OS as their primary OS.

No, you should never use a developer preview as your day to day OS even if you're a developer. Developer previews are updated often and things that work can break without much warning and so on. Just wait for Mountain Lion's public release, there's no reason to jump the gun and start using it as your primary OS less than a week into the dev preview. Yeesh.

I have a paid dev account :) - it expires in 6 days though ;)

Surely by people using it as their main OS it has to be a good way to find bugs? That's how I see it.. then whenever I come across a bug I submit it to Apple.

Angry-Birds
Feb 19, 2012, 06:18 PM

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that a dev preview is exactly as the name implies- giving a pre-release platform to developers so they can iron out any compatibility issues before ML gets released to the public.

It's been great for me- love the addition of notifications, notes, and reminders. As others have also mentioned, it just feels a little smoother.

irnchriz
Feb 19, 2012, 06:20 PM
Got it running in Parallels Desktop 7 at the mo. Assigned it 2 cores and 4GB ram and it runs fine.

I will wait till it goes GM later this year before upgrading from Lion though.

DagazaGZ
Feb 19, 2012, 06:50 PM
I've been using 10.8 for 2 days as my main OS. Everything is backed up to Time Machine so I'm not really worried. I have noticed quite a few bugs, of course I'm not surprised as this is just DP1.

Bug 1. After pausing a video in iTunes you have to close it and reopen the video. If you try to simply resume from pause, the audio continues while the video just freezes.

Bug 2. Can not skip to next video in iTunes as the same audio with no video happens.

Bug 3. Browsing System Preferences for over 1 min without closing and reopening will cause it to crash.

Bug 4. iCal crashes often when in use.

Other than that, I haven't seen anything else other than buttons that you click not always acting right away.

Kariya
Feb 27, 2012, 08:01 PM
care to elaborate?

iStat Pro, Macaroni, RSS (the biggest no no)

Nielsenius
Feb 27, 2012, 08:30 PM
I've been using Mountain Lion as my main OS for over a week. The only major issues I've had are related to connecting to my Cinema Display, but even those issues got worked out. Overall, I'm very satisfied and I'm looking forward to future updates. If you're looking for some info on Mountain Lion check out my website.

merrickdrfc
Feb 28, 2012, 12:23 PM
I've been using ML as my primary OS on my MacBook Air, which is my secondary computer. However it gets used on a daily basis at school.

littlepooch21
Feb 28, 2012, 01:25 PM
if i install this does it have the normal updates just like Lion or will I need to reinstall everything once the GM comes out?

ayeying
Mar 1, 2012, 07:06 PM
Honestly, I've been the person before who likes to jump the gun and use the newest software out. But reality, it's not stable even though it feels stable. It's too unpredictable if something goes wrong. Therefore, I'm doing all my testing under a virtual machine and upgrading to Mountain Lion when it comes out officially. At that time, I should've learned all the tricks and cheats on how to use the OS efficiently and stuff.

ajvizzgamer101
Mar 1, 2012, 07:40 PM
I backed up using Time Capsule and then installed it as my main.

r0k
Mar 1, 2012, 10:22 PM
ML is my main os alright... On an external hdd... On my spare machine...

Bacchusius
Mar 13, 2012, 09:24 AM
Running it for a couple of weeks now. Safari and Mail are a bit buggy, for the rest it works fine.

ScottishDuck
Mar 14, 2012, 07:02 AM
Performs better than the atrocious Lion.

Sdreed91
Mar 17, 2012, 07:53 PM
Well anyone using DP2 as an everyday OS

bmms8
Mar 17, 2012, 08:46 PM
i downloaded it today and will use it as my main OS. Safari so far seems much slower. No other issues as of yet.

Applepi
Mar 17, 2012, 09:54 PM
Been using as my primary OS on my MacBook Air since Feb. and just updated to DP2 last night. Feels very stable and solid but can attest to it being unpredictable.

andrewlee
Mar 24, 2012, 05:45 AM
I am, special reason, coz i'm using hackintosh with GTX460 display card. Only mountain lion gives full support for my display card so I stayed with MLion.
Another reason is that I REALLY love the ios apps and notifications centre being moved to mountain lion. works real great with all my iOS devices.

atMac
Mar 24, 2012, 12:39 PM
I'm using it as my main OS, my only issues are that some web pages lag as you scroll them, and Reeder doesn't work in it.

Embio
Mar 24, 2012, 04:50 PM
I have a 27inch iMac at work that is used mainly for Apple Remote Desktop and software testing... so it is my main OS on that machine but definitely not on my main Mac

Sdreed91
Mar 24, 2012, 06:15 PM
I am now using DP2 as main OS and it works pretty well. Only graphical glitches that I have experienced frequently. The first few boots after installing DP2 had some issues I had to hold power button down and reboot because it would get stuck on the Apple logo. But I think it works great. Safari is much quicker. Everything feels smoother especially animations like full screen.

RamGuy
Mar 26, 2012, 04:09 AM
Just rolled back to OS X Lion after having some huge stability issues with Microsoft Silverlight and a few applications refusing to install (downright silly with all of these installers refusing to install on anything other than 10.7.x when they normally will work without any problem with 10.8.x anyway).

The fact that XBMC is instant crashing is also a main reason for me rolling back at this state. Didn't have any major issues with Mountain Lion itself, but all the applications that wont install and some instant crashing and behaving funny made me roll back.