PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot Lion & Mountain Lion

philstone
Feb 17, 2012, 05:14 AM
Is it possible to dual boot or does DP1 need to be upgraded over Lion?

Tried to boot off the dmg to install the DP but couldn't even get to the installer...

Cheers

simsaladimbamba
Feb 17, 2012, 05:17 AM
Yes, you can.
But booting off a DMG is not possible.

Just apply these steps: Make An OS X Lion Boot Disc (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/18/make-an-os-x-lion-boot-disc/)

philstone
Feb 17, 2012, 05:37 AM
Thanks - i thought as much..

I know about the DMG just got my words wrong!

Probably just screwed the image restore - will give it another go..

Thanks!

mg6101
Feb 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
Yes, you can.
But booting off a DMG is not possible.

Just apply these steps: Make An OS X Lion Boot Disc (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/18/make-an-os-x-lion-boot-disc/)

How does the dual boot handle the recovery partition? I'm assuming that Mountain Lion also contains a recovery partition which would be different than the one from Lion. So if I were to partition my Lion install to dual boot them how would I go about installing Mountain Lion?

Rivanov
Feb 17, 2012, 04:34 PM
I installed OS X Mountain Lion via a Dual Boot. Just made an extra partition in OS X Lion and installed OS X Mountain Lion on that new partition.

You now have two restore partitions. One for OS X Lion and one for OS X Mountain Lion.

bully worm
Feb 18, 2012, 12:18 AM
I installed OS X Mountain Lion via a Dual Boot. Just made an extra partition in OS X Lion and installed OS X Mountain Lion on that new partition.

You now have two restore partitions. One for OS X Lion and one for OS X Mountain Lion.

Would you be able to erase the ML partition later on directly from Lion?

simsaladimbamba
Feb 18, 2012, 12:31 AM

Yep.

jayhawk11
Feb 18, 2012, 12:53 AM

Yep.

Yes, but if you want to get rid of the recovery partition that ML installs you'll need to use Terminal or an application like Drive Genius.