PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mayhem ?

BoxerBoy
Feb 17, 2012, 06:17 AM
Last night I downloaded Lion from the App store and installed it. No hassles and everything works just fine.

I communicated my achievement to a friend and this is the response I got.

"Glad to hear it went well. Did you create a bootable image of the installer. I made one on a Flash Drive, one on an SD Card and one on a DVD.
Besides having your Time Capsule backups I recommend you get another ext hdd (usb or Firewire) and make a weekly bootable clone of the Macintosh HD via the free software SuperDuper or CarbonCopyClone. This is invaluable. Once a week I use it to clone and then boot Lion from the clone to test (hold down Option key while booting and you get icons to boot from Macintosh HD, Recovery Disk, Clone Disk, Time Machine Disk, Choose Network etc)"

Well truth is I didn't do any of the things he suggested, and I don't intend to do the things he suggests to do on a regular basis.

Am I right to ignore his advice, or am I risking Mac mayhem. My thinking is, if ever I need to reinstall Lion, I can buy a memory stick from Apple store.

miles01110
Feb 17, 2012, 06:18 AM
It's always a good practice to have a backup.

Krazy Bill
Feb 17, 2012, 08:03 AM
Am I right to ignore his advice, or am I risking Mac mayhem.Do you at least have a backup of your data? I do the clone thing as well. Just plug in an external drive and SuperDuper updates it to reflect the internal.

if ever I need to reinstall Lion, I can buy a memory stick from Apple store.Why? Your friend is correct. Roll your own.