PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Naming Scheme/What comes after Mountain Lion etc. [Threads Merged]

Pages : [1] 2

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
Feb 17, 2012, 06:42 AM
NOTE: before you read this, please note that I'm discussing only the choice names for the OS. I'm not talking about functionality, stability or even usability of the different releases.

And yes, I am falling in love with OS X Mountain Lion, and can't wait for its release!

After a decade of Mac OS X, here's the list of all releases:

10.0 - Cheetah
10.1 - Puma
10.2 - Jaguar
10.3 - Panther
10.4 - Tiger
10.5 - Leopard
10.6 - Snow Leopard
10.7 - Lion
10.8 - Mountain Lion

From this list you can obviously see that Apple was naming the OS based on 'big cats' names. (which is something that 99% of users in this forum already know).

But the interesting thing is that if you look at the list of big cats on wikipedia:

One definition of "big cat" includes the four members: the tiger, lion, jaguar, and leopard. Members of this genus are the only cats able to roar. A more expansive definition of "big cat" also includes the cougar, cheetah, snow leopard, and clouded leopard.

You'll see that three of our beloved "Mac big cats", (Puma, Panther and Mountain Lion), are not included in the list. After further research, I wanted to check out the names that Apple still hasn't used yet: cougar and clouded leopard. The name 'clouded leopard' could've been used as another update to leopard/snow leopard, but it would've sounded cheesy after two consecutive releases with the name 'leopard'.

That leaves the cougar. If you go to the wikipedia page you'll find this:

The cougar, also known as puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount or panther, depending on the region, is a mammal of the family Felidae, native to the Americas.

Which means that cougar, panther, puma and mountain lion are basically the same animal. And that animal is not that big in size. So, a mountain lion is actually a smaller animal than a lion. It's like they're downgrading the king of the jungle to a smaller cat.

Giving three different major OS releases names of the same animal is somehow a weird move from Apple, a company who is known for its extreme attention to the smallest details.

After Mountain Lion, if Apple still wants to release 10.9, they are going to have to use either Cougar or Catamount, which is still the same animal as panther, puma and mountain lion. There are no more 'big cats' names to use except maybe mountain cat (which does not sound interesting at all), and clouded leopard, which I'm 100% sure they won't use due to reasons explained earlier in this post.

One more thing... when Apple is finally done with OS X, and wants to move on to OS XI, what naming scheme do you think they'll adopt? perhaps canines? birds? sharks? or even dropping the whole animal theme, and go with stars, galaxies and maybe natural phenomena. OS XI Volcano, anyone?

Let me hear your thoughts!

BreakGuy
Feb 17, 2012, 06:57 AM
Obviously, Apple haven't gone for exclusively the names of the "big cats" because as you mentioned, there's only four big cats. They've instead they've named their OS X releases using the names of wildcats.

If you read the Wikipedia Article on this, and skip down to the classifications, it will list for you the names of wildcats and the sub-species of cat to which they relate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felidae#Classification

From that list, Apple still has a few names it could use for future releases of OS X.

cambookpro
Feb 17, 2012, 07:01 AM
I'd love OS XI to be named after dinosaurs. OS XI Velociraptor?
:cool:

east85
Feb 17, 2012, 07:04 AM
I'm not really too big on their naming scheme honestly. I kind of like antiquated themes such as Mythology, maybe OS X Phoenix or OS X Apollo would be pretty cool. But I guess the title is less important than the what's in the box when all is said and done.

808?
Feb 17, 2012, 07:08 AM
One big cat missing: :D

http://kittypalace.tripod.com/index/kt-big.jpg

TheSuperSteve
Feb 17, 2012, 07:25 AM
I don't know. I feel like eventually they'll drop the big cat names and simply refer to OS X as iOS.

Tander
Feb 17, 2012, 07:41 AM
I don't know. I feel like eventually they'll drop the big cat names and simply refer to OS X as iOS.

That won't happen as they are not merging the two systems. Just integrating the two.

I believe for the rest of OS X's life, they will name them after the cats. It's anyone's guess what naming scheme they will use for OS XI.

Skika
Feb 17, 2012, 07:53 AM
One big cat missing: :D

Image (http://kittypalace.tripod.com/index/kt-big.jpg)

Ah yes the very rare tripod cat.

interrobang
Feb 17, 2012, 08:06 AM
They're just product names, not biological taxonomies. Apple will use whatever name sounds distinctive and memorable. Apple will even re-use names from old, mostly-forgotten products for new products. (SuperDrive, Rosetta, iBooks)

CodeBreaker
Feb 17, 2012, 12:09 PM
I think XI will have space names: Jupiter, Neptune, etc. Apple loves space.

Whiteonfire
Feb 17, 2012, 12:56 PM
I though that a Puma was a Mountain Lion, It must not be about the animals really, just the names, They should do Planets next...

SwiftLives
Feb 17, 2012, 01:10 PM
I like how everyone just sort of assumes the next generation of the Mac OS will be called "OS XI"

I fully expect OS X to last beyond version 10.10. And whatever the next incarnation is, I have a feeling it will have a very different name.

I also suspect that they will quit with the cat names before they move on to next gen OS.

DeckMan
Feb 17, 2012, 01:28 PM
I though that a Puma was a Mountain Lion, It must not be about the animals really, just the names, They should do Planets next...

A puma is a mountain lion is a panther, actually.

thundersteele
Feb 17, 2012, 02:00 PM
I wonder if the naming scheme also reflects whether the update is more evolutionary or more revolutionary.

Leopard to Snow Leopard, on the surface, did not change a lot in the way we interact with the system. It's more like an improved Lepoard.
SL to Lion had a number of large changes to the UI, and Versions and iCloud support - changes that impact how we interact with the machine.
L to ML - improvements on the features that are already present in Lion? Not so much completely new stuff?

As for future names: I think Cougar is somewhat tainted, so I don't think they will ever use it. With windows and iOS doing quite well with their simple numbering scheme, in the future we might see more emphasis on the version number, e.g. OSX 9, OSX 10, etc. I think the "X" will become part of the name, now that the "Mac" part is gone, and they will stop numbering the OSs as 10.7.X, 10.8.X and so on.

al256
Feb 17, 2012, 02:05 PM
With billions in the bank, Apple could fund a massive project to bring the saber-toothed tiger back in time for 10.9 and conveniently open a theme park with other prehistoric creatures.

I picture being driven around in Apple's own self driving car (competing against Google's version) with Siri answering all the passengers questions around the park. Or a walk around tour where you can download the Apple Park™ app or be issued your very own iPad for the tour.

The business plan practically writes itself. ;)

Lord Appleseed
Feb 17, 2012, 02:20 PM
I was hoping for Saberthooth Tiger as next name.
But it doesn't really matter. I'd even buy the OS if it was called OSX 'Dandelion'.

dejo
Feb 17, 2012, 02:23 PM
10.9 Nittany Lion
:D

Mal
Feb 17, 2012, 02:49 PM
A puma is a mountain lion is a panther, actually.

Actually, panthers are usually black leopards or jaguars, but the existence of a black puma has not yet been conclusively proven. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_panther

You're thinking of a cougar, which I can't imagine Apple using for their naming convention, considering the slang implications of the term.

jW

dejo
Feb 17, 2012, 02:51 PM
You're thinking of a cougar, which I can't imagine Apple using for their naming convention, considering the slang implications of the term.
Plus, it's not old enough. :)

baryon
Feb 17, 2012, 03:13 PM
Well it sure is better than… Ice Cream Sandwich..

WRP
Feb 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
You guys look WAY too much into mundane crap. :p

brdeveloper
Feb 17, 2012, 04:14 PM
iOSX 10.9 Thundercat (some funny name to the first convergent OSX + iOS version)

iOSX 10.9 Ocelot (a small cat remembering the first convergent OSX + iOS version)

DeckMan
Feb 17, 2012, 05:34 PM
Actually, panthers are usually black leopards or jaguars, but the existence of a black puma has not yet been conclusively proven. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_panther

Wait, your link states that the black panther is a black leopard or jaguar. In North America, panther is another word for cougar or mountain lion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther

Interestingly, in other parts of the world they're calling jaguars or leopards panther, so in any case, Apple has already used the same animal twice. (Note that I don't actually know anything about the animals, other than the things I've read on Wikipedia.)

Partron22
Feb 17, 2012, 06:20 PM
10.9 Ocelot-cougar hybrid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felid_hybrid#Ocelot-cougar_hybrids)

I'm hoping that with II, they have the sense to move to moons of gas giants:
Tethys, Galatea, Umbriel etc. etc. There's enough of them to go around without having to resort to the likes of "Snow Ganymede".

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 26, 2012, 08:29 AM
10.7 - Lion
10.8 - Mountain Lion
10.9 - Cougar
11.0 - Hot Cougar

DeckMan
Mar 4, 2012, 06:26 AM
Oh yeah, it has to be a cat that has a modifier for 10.10. I was thinking Ocelot. Is there such a thing as a Valley Ocelot?

(And yes, I think the next version after 10.9 won't be 11.0. They might even just use "OS X 9" instead of "OS X 10.9", and then OS X 10 for the successor.)

jackrv
Mar 4, 2012, 09:58 PM
Or, after 10.9 Apple could switch from "Big Cats" to "Big Brats".

OS X 10.10 "Ballmer"
OS X 10.11 "Zuckerburg"
OS X 10.12 "Brinn"
etc....

PlaceofDis
Mar 4, 2012, 10:06 PM
i just don't care what they do next in terms of naming schemes so long as their products keep being awesome.

markrox7
Mar 4, 2012, 10:15 PM
My guess is that by the time OS X reaches "OS X 10.10/11.0" it'll be merged enough with iOS, so that both OSes will become one, iOS X. It makes sense and it's logical considering Apple is merging the two OSes gradually (unlike Microsoft that just jumped to that with Windows 8. I think Apple's approach is more user friendly though, IMHO)

Jason S.
Mar 4, 2012, 11:07 PM
With billions in the bank, Apple could fund a massive project to bring the saber-toothed tiger back in time for 10.9 and conveniently open a theme park with other prehistoric creatures.

I picture being driven around in Apple's own self driving car (competing against Google's version) with Siri answering all the passengers questions around the park. Or a walk around tour where you can download the Apple Park™ app or be issued your very own iPad for the tour.

The business plan practically writes itself. ;)

Then the power goes out, and the hungry prehistoric creatures try to kill you.

... Where have I seen this before?

jeanlain
Mar 5, 2012, 02:47 AM
Wait, your link states that the black panther is a black leopard or jaguar. In North America, panther is another word for cougar or mountain lion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther

Interestingly, in other parts of the world they're calling jaguars or leopards panther, so in any case, Apple has already used the same animal twice. (Note that I don't actually know anything about the animals, other than the things I've read on Wikipedia.)
I remember some Apple keynote where they made fun of Longhorn, comparing the animal to a panther. They showed a black panther, IIRC.

bedifferent
Mar 6, 2012, 06:43 PM
There was speculation that Apple code-named their OS X systems after German Tanks a few years ago (and used "Cats" commercially):

Apple Mac OS X Versions Named After German Tanks? (http://robertnyman.com/2009/09/02/apple-mac-os-x-versions-named-after-german-tanks/)

Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah
Tank: Flugabwehrkanonenpanzer Gepard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flugabwehrkanonenpanzer_Gepard) (Gepard in German means Cheetah in English)

Mac OS X 10.1 Puma
Tank: Sd.Kfz. 234/2 “Puma” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Panzerspähwagen#Sd.Kfz._234.2F2_.22Puma.22)

Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar
Tanks: Jaguar 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_1) and Jaguar 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_2)

Mac OS X 10.3 Panther
Tank: Panther (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther_tank)

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
Tanks: Tiger 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_I) and Tiger 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_II)

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
Tanks: Leopard 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_1) and Leopard 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_2)

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Haven’t found the corresponding tank yet, but I’m sure it exists…

Food for thought. Not sure about Lion and Mountain Lion.

fredcintra
Mar 6, 2012, 08:09 PM
Lynx is a good name for a OS that is deeply optimized in speed

Bdoskail
Mar 6, 2012, 10:22 PM
I'd really love to see Snow Lion :)

Badrottie
Mar 8, 2012, 06:20 AM
10.9 - Cougar
11.0 - Hot Cougar

12.0 Lynx
12.1 Snow Lynx

Jb07
Mar 10, 2012, 02:05 PM
10.7 - Lion
10.8 - Mountain Lion

10.9 - Sea Lion :D

zeemeerman2
Mar 10, 2012, 04:51 PM
Come on, people. All those guesses and no one thinks about the one real cat from 10.9?
I'm obviously talking about the lolcat. :p :D

And 10.10 has the Pop Tart Cat (aka Nyan Cat).

Carl Sagan
Mar 10, 2012, 05:08 PM
Well it sure is better than… Ice Cream Sandwich..

Pretty much everything is.

delwynnpawn
Mar 11, 2012, 09:28 PM
I'm liking the sound of ocelot, lynx, caracal or serval. But then again apple might just shift from cats to something else all together. :D

Kazahma
Mar 12, 2012, 09:13 AM
In my opinion, they should go out and name their 11.x OS similar to how Android names theirs (ie. Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, etc.), but with other delicious and tasty treats.

Dinosaur names would be nice, too, but you don't exactly want an OS named after a prehistoric creature.. Bad for marketing.

DeckMan
Mar 17, 2012, 07:36 PM
OH, I know.
Mac OS 11: Saber-Tooth Tiger - Back to the roots. All the people who never wanted to get Leopard, let alone Lion, are gonna love it :D

Dr McKay
Mar 17, 2012, 10:09 PM
Pink Panther ;)

Bear
Mar 18, 2012, 08:44 AM
Well since they're trying to get Macs and OS X into more houses they could use various "house" cat breeds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_breed#Breeds) including ones like: Manx
Siamese
Ragdoll
Munchkin

The linked list would keep Apple going for a long long time.

mentaluproar
Apr 14, 2012, 12:44 AM
I'm a fan of OSX ocelot. I would name the system Babou though.

reimund
May 17, 2012, 03:47 AM
You all forgot about Sea Lion.

EDIT: Damnit JB07, I didn't realize there was a page 2.

Phil A.
May 17, 2012, 04:35 AM
10.9 - Cougar
11.0 - Hot Cougar

Closely followed by MILF? ;)

FlatlinerG
May 17, 2012, 05:37 AM
Mac OS X 10.9 Liger?

ExnomenDei
May 17, 2012, 09:20 AM
Calling it now: Mountain Lion is the last Mac OS X release.

OS XI will simply use numbers, no naming.

Tar Sniffer
May 17, 2012, 07:59 PM
Lynx would be perfect, as it would create a smooth transition to a new OSX naming scheme since there is a constellation named after this particular cat. If Apple took advantage of this we could see future releases like...

OSX Andromeda
OSX Aries
OSX Gemini
OSX Hydrus
OSX Orion
OSX Pisces

Yamcha
May 19, 2012, 11:41 PM
I like the sound of OSX Andromeda

Jarhead5811
May 20, 2012, 04:38 AM
Mac OS X 10.9 Liger?

Dang, you beat me to it!

--------

How about Calico?

mrsir2009
May 20, 2012, 02:38 PM
When OSX is over Apple might do something to merge OSX and iOS.

Orange Furball
May 20, 2012, 07:28 PM
House cats would be cool. But historical dictator names would be interesting also...

The new MacBook Pro specs:

7ghz quad core PowerPC g9 CPU (I wish they would start making CPUs in-house again)
15 gb of ram
4tb ssd
13" retina display
Comes with Mac OS XI 11.0 Hitler and iLife 14

Sdreed91
May 20, 2012, 10:21 PM
House cats would be cool. But historical dictator names would be interesting also...

The new MacBook Pro specs:

7ghz quad core PowerPC g9 CPU (I wish they would start making CPUs in-house again)
15 gb of ram
4tb ssd
13" retina display
Comes with Mac OS XI 11.0 Hitler and iLife 14

It cost to much for them to make underpowered and less functional CPU's in house. I only say less functional because Windows was unable to run on non-intel CPU's. The ability for your Mac to run Windows was a huge selling point for Apple. It also allowed them to argue that with your Mac running Windows there wasn't a better time to switch to a Mac because it had the best of both worlds.

I don't know even know what to say about the Hitler thing. I'm guessing sarcasm but this is the Internet so you might be serious who knows?

Upon further examination I got a very good laugh from the 4tb SSD. Sarcasm confirmed, and well received. Lol

CyberAngel
May 22, 2012, 11:27 PM
If I reveal it's 'Gepard' (for speeeed)
they will change it
....ooops! :rolleyes:

bedifferent
May 23, 2012, 12:43 AM
Lynx would be perfect, as it would create a smooth transition to a new OSX naming scheme since there is a constellation named after this particular cat. If Apple took advantage of this we could see future releases like...

OSX Andromeda
OSX Aries
OSX Gemini
OSX Hydrus
OSX Orion
OSX Pisces

Hey, don't forget about us Scorpio's; we'll cut a b***h, incredibly competitive and will stop at nothing when wronged :p

aPple nErd
May 24, 2012, 10:28 AM
osx 10.10.1 : kitten.....

Monkeyat
Jun 3, 2012, 03:52 PM
Next Mac OS X 10.9 : :D
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/2404/ilfullxfull336033175.jpg

bedifferent
Jun 3, 2012, 10:24 PM
osx 10.10.1 : kitten.....

So would that make 10.7 "Kitty Litter"? :p

metaphorical
Jun 11, 2012, 05:11 PM
Even though it is predominantly referred to as "OS-ten" (incorrectly in my opinion), the X in Mac OS X refers to the X in Unix (just as many other Unix variants do so). OS9 was not the name of the former OS either. It was simply version 9 of an OS called Mac OS. When the OS was completely redone, the new name migrated from Mac OS to Mac OS X because it was now a Unix variant. Thus, there will never be an OSXI as some posts have suggested.

yalyooblyoo
Jun 12, 2012, 05:08 PM
There are loads of galaxies with cool sounding names. It could go well with their new wallpapers

tennisproha
Jun 14, 2012, 03:00 AM

OS XI 11.0 Gaddafi
OS XI 11.1 Hussain
Is that what you mean?:confused:

llamaswill
Jun 25, 2012, 06:57 AM
I'm liking the sound of ocelot, lynx, caracal or serval. But then again apple might just shift from cats to something else all together. :D

Mountain Lion-->Mountains

or Mountain Lion-->Lion Fish-->other fish

Sylon
Jun 25, 2012, 07:59 AM
I think the OP is looking way too much into this, lol.

But people in here can keep guessing, maybe someone will actually nail it. I think they will just go to numbers.

The only thing about these names that seem interesting to me were not so much the cats themselves, but the variations of the last 4 names:

Leopard
Snow Leopard
Lion
Mountain Lion

Sticking with the same name, just giving different variations of each makes me think that to them, the jump from Leopard to Snow Leopard wasn't exactly ground breaking (however I wouldn't know, Lion was my first OS X) and that Mountain Lion won't be a huge leap from Lion.

For me, however, I think ML is quite the step up from Lion. Maybe not as huge as Win7 was from Vista, but then again, anything was better than Vista, lol. I dunno, we'll see. You guys keep speculating, hopefully one of you guesses right.

Orange Furball
Jun 25, 2012, 02:10 PM
I think the OP is looking way too much into this, lol.

But people in here can keep guessing, maybe someone will actually nail it. I think they will just go to numbers.

The only thing about these names that seem interesting to me were not so much the cats themselves, but the variations of the last 4 names:

Leopard
Snow Leopard
Lion
Mountain Lion

Sticking with the same name, just giving different variations of each makes me think that to them, the jump from Leopard to Snow Leopard wasn't exactly ground breaking (however I wouldn't know, Lion was my first OS X) and that Mountain Lion won't be a huge leap from Lion.

For me, however, I think ML is quite the step up from Lion. Maybe not as huge as Win7 was from Vista, but then again, anything was better than Vista, lol. I dunno, we'll see. You guys keep speculating, hopefully one of you guesses right.

The small changes in name are due to the visual looks of the os. Snow Leo and ml are improvements build over the previous os. Leopard had some problems, and snow leopard fixed them and added new features. Lion had problems, and Mountain Lion is fixing them and adding more features. But both pretty much keep the same look as the previous (except the dock in ml)

D-a-a-n
Jun 25, 2012, 05:45 PM
OS XI 11.0 WhoCares
OS XI 11.1 GetALife

Orange Furball
Jun 25, 2012, 05:53 PM
OS XI 11.0 WhoCares
OS XI 11.1 GetALife

You mean

OS XI 11.0 WhoCares
OS XI 11.1 WhoReallyCares
OS XI 11.2 GetALife
OS XI 11.3 GetAnEffinLife

oneMadRssn
Jun 26, 2012, 09:10 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/felidae.png
Felidae
'Smilodon fatalis' narrowly edged out 'Tyrannosaurus rex' to win this year's Most Badass Latin Names competition, after edging out 'Dracorex hogwartsia' and 'Stygimoloch spinifer' (meaning 'horned dragon from the river of death') in the semifinals.

Lvivske
Jun 26, 2012, 10:50 PM
iOSX 10.9 Thundercat (some funny name to the first convergent OSX + iOS version)

iOSX 10.9 Ocelot (a small cat remembering the first convergent OSX + iOS version)

how about oneiric Ocelot?

coasttech
Jul 11, 2012, 07:43 AM
Thought you might get a laugh from this.. and even more so if you watch Archer.
http://i.imgur.com/EKsKs.jpg

STEPHEN SNELL
Jul 16, 2012, 11:25 AM
(*OS X (*10.9*) COUGAR!!!*):apple:

xjpsmithx
Jul 18, 2012, 06:58 PM

I'd have to agree with Cougar, I don't think apple would steal a name from another OS. (Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot)

Ddyracer
Jul 18, 2012, 09:31 PM
I'd have to agree with Cougar, I don't think apple would steal a name from another OS. (Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot)

It wouldn't be the third time apple reuses a name (10.1 puma). And 10.3 panther. A panther can be a Leopard, Jaguar, Cougar and can be the same as a puma unless were talking black/white panther. A puma is a Cougar/Mountain Lion/Catamount/Panther.

Apple can still use Catamount after Cougar although they probably won't. Maybe it will be Lynx. I like the sound of that.

Weaselboy
Jul 18, 2012, 09:34 PM

I'm banking on 10.9 Ceiling Cat. :D

brentmore
Jul 18, 2012, 09:37 PM
It's a freaking ocelot Lana!

r0k
Jul 18, 2012, 09:48 PM
I thawt I taw a widdle wellow bird called windows 8... No wait. He was already eaten by a Mountain Lion. I almost forgot...

WhackyNinja
Jul 19, 2012, 02:15 AM
My bets are on Bobcat.

If not.....NYAN CAT!

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011/201/d/4/mac_os_x_nyan_cat_by_ok39271-d414zxi.png

SnakeIz
Jul 22, 2012, 08:53 PM

how does one get the roaring ML beta?

golf1410
Jul 22, 2012, 09:01 PM
Hahaha

benwiggy
Jul 23, 2012, 05:00 AM
The series will go: Tabby, Abyssinian, Calico, Ragdoll, British Shorthair (International version).

wrldwzrd89
Jul 23, 2012, 06:17 AM
My rumor sources are telling me that OS X 10.9, if there is such a thing, will NOT use a cat name - Apple has run out of cats. ;)

BenMero
Jul 24, 2012, 10:46 AM
Been thinking of this for awhile and I can't think of any other big cats for apple to use (I'm sure theres many) after ML.. What are your thoughts?

(I know ML isn't even out yet before anyone states the obvious!)

Intell
Jul 24, 2012, 10:47 AM
It's obviously Mac OS X House Cat.

Zcott
Jul 24, 2012, 10:47 AM
Maru.

heisenberg123
Jul 24, 2012, 10:51 AM
Garfield

Razzerman II
Jul 24, 2012, 10:52 AM
Battle Cat - He Man's pet cat thing.

wrldwzrd89
Jul 24, 2012, 11:40 AM
My sources tell me you're all wrong. Future versions of Apple's OS (which, for all I know, may not even be called OS X anymore) will NOT be using big cat names. The most plausible replacement I know about is wine names. Therefore, I expect OS X (or XI) "Chablis". ;)

xav8tor
Jul 24, 2012, 11:50 AM
Mexican Hairless (Google it)

URFloorMatt
Jul 24, 2012, 11:53 AM
Honestly, I think they always intended to use Cougar at some point along the way and that word was co-opted so they didn't, leaving them one short. They may jump ahead to whatever the naming scheme will be for OS 11.

They have used all the (non-extinct) big cat names besides Cougar. That leaves two plausible possibilities, OS X Sabertooth and OS X Leo.

Nathan20
Jul 24, 2012, 11:58 AM
Lynx

cambookpro
Jul 24, 2012, 12:22 PM
Hoping for sabretooth, that would be awesome! :D

Probably won't be Lynx due to a deodorant of the same name in the UK. Never know, though. Could also be cougar or clouded leopard, though I think the leopards have had their time.

Probably eventually there'll be no codenames, which would be a shame as they were one of the really quirky things I enjoyed about OS X.

Don't rule out a different name of the same cat, though: mountain lion, puma, cougar and panther are all the same.

Arctix
Jul 24, 2012, 12:27 PM
Ocelot

iBug2
Jul 24, 2012, 12:30 PM
Honestly, I think they always intended to use Cougar at some point along the way and that word was co-opted so they didn't, leaving them one short. They may jump ahead to whatever the naming scheme will be for OS 11.

They have used all the (non-extinct) big cat names besides Cougar. That leaves two plausible possibilities, OS X Sabertooth and OS X Leo.

Well aren't there any other cat names left? I don't think we'll see OS XI for another 7-8 years.

wrldwzrd89
Jul 24, 2012, 12:31 PM
Well aren't there any other cat names left? I don't think we'll see OS XI for another 7-8 years.
There aren't any left. Hence why I posted earlier that Apple's likely to use something else.

Psycna
Jul 24, 2012, 12:43 PM
Bobcat. :D

definitive
Jul 24, 2012, 12:53 PM
the sea lion

http://i.imgur.com/ACcKE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Z0B0g.jpg

cocky jeremy
Jul 24, 2012, 01:23 PM
Liger.. Tion.. Sabertooth.

Reason077
Jul 24, 2012, 01:24 PM
Tabby.

blufire95
Jul 24, 2012, 01:33 PM
OS X 10.9 Garfield

Krazy Bill
Jul 24, 2012, 01:59 PM
Apple has used up all the cats. Next they'll start with little bunnies or unicorns.

SnowLeopard2008
Jul 24, 2012, 02:11 PM
They haven't used "Cat". It's so simple and easy to say and remember. Isn't that Apple's style? Simple.

WhackyNinja
Jul 24, 2012, 02:13 PM
Bobcat.

Justinhub2003
Jul 24, 2012, 02:15 PM
Nittany Lion.... After Penn State.

Wave never mind, that would be a PR dissater

numbersyx
Jul 24, 2012, 02:20 PM
Bobcat, Caracal, Clouded Leopard, Jaguarundi, Lynx, Ocelot, Serval

Some of those aren't too big though....:)

URFloorMatt
Jul 24, 2012, 02:22 PM

I like Leo, personally. It would be a nice transition from cats to constellations.

Apple has said there's going to be an OS X update every year. Whether in 2014 we get OS XI or OS X 11, doesn't really matter to me. But given the merging going on between OS X and iOS, maybe we should start referring to it as OS Xi.

Jul 24, 2012, 02:25 PM
The next version of OS X? It's gonna be called "iOS 8".:rolleyes:

adztaylor
Jul 24, 2012, 02:28 PM

Oh give it a rest :rolleyes:

davidinva
Jul 24, 2012, 03:01 PM
Garfield? (If they can work out the legal stuff.)

DrBokchoy
Jul 24, 2012, 03:04 PM
http://www.rowanwatson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/osx-liono-tc-300x300.png

WardC
Jul 24, 2012, 03:06 PM
The real question is, after Mac OS X 10.8 is there going be a 10.9, and then a 10.10??

Or will there be an OS 11?

What is Apple going to do? Will there be a Mac OS 11? Or will Apple buy the rights to X11 and call it that? Or will they call it something else like "Mac OS Andromeda"

OverSpun
Jul 24, 2012, 03:18 PM
Liger.

There is nothing better than Ligers.

http://www.ligers.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/gallery/ligers/ligers-02.jpg

:rolleyes::p

SpyderBite
Jul 24, 2012, 03:25 PM
Per Sheldon Cooper: OS X 10.9 Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty, Little Ball of Fur...

jmanley1
Jul 24, 2012, 03:32 PM
How about White Lion?

aaronvan
Jul 24, 2012, 03:49 PM
Lynx

That could cause mass confusion and panic amongst Lynx browser aficionados. Dare Apple offend that user base? :D

ugahairydawgs
Jul 24, 2012, 04:00 PM

We get it....you don't like ML or the direction of OS X. You can quit beating that dead horse any time now.

Southernboyj
Jul 24, 2012, 04:06 PM
Gonna use the dog family, OS X Wolf

Jameson.Kusch
Jul 25, 2012, 12:15 AM
Gonna use the dog family, OS X Wolf

I'm liking this idea! Think about it, OSX WOlf, OSX Warewolf, OS X Canine, all these possibilities.

quasinormal
Jul 25, 2012, 12:24 AM
OS X Siamese

http://www.buzzle.com/img/articleImages/523949-4643-44.jpg

ivnj
Jul 25, 2012, 12:33 AM
Image (http://www.rowanwatson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/osx-liono-tc-300x300.png)

Nice paint job.

AustinIllini
Jul 25, 2012, 12:37 AM
Dandelion -----> Transition to flowers

klappco
Jul 25, 2012, 12:38 AM
Maine Coon

jburns
Jul 25, 2012, 12:38 AM
Lets go for the gold.

OS X P*ssy

maxorific1
Jul 25, 2012, 12:49 AM
Lets go for the gold.

OS X P*ssy

Beat me to it

M87
Jul 25, 2012, 12:59 AM
Why not cougar? OS X is sexy and mature.

Lvivske
Jul 25, 2012, 01:19 AM
Ocelot

Oneiric Ocelot

mukade
Jul 25, 2012, 01:28 AM
No more cats. Apple are splitting Mac Os into
Home, Premium, Super and Wonderful versions
based on small mammals.

http://iphone4ever.eu/wp-content/uploads/mac-osx-lion-rat.jpg

Macman45
Jul 25, 2012, 01:28 AM
Tat Cat!

freedevil
Jul 25, 2012, 01:32 AM
Live in the present OP and not the future!

BlazednSleepy
Jul 25, 2012, 01:37 AM
OSX Thunder....Thunder.....Thunder.....THUNDER CATS HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

benguild
Jul 25, 2012, 02:01 AM
I like Mac OS X Calico

jomirrivera
Jul 25, 2012, 02:02 AM
OSX Thunder....Thunder.....Thunder.....THUNDER CATS HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

suddenly, I was singing that!

Reach9
Jul 25, 2012, 02:03 AM
Mac OS X Courteney Cox?

http://atomictango.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Mac-OSX-Cougar.jpg

omgwut
Jul 25, 2012, 02:12 AM
Lynx, Ocelot or Cougar... although I wonder if they will continue to ride out OS X until 10.9 with the wildcat naming scheme or drop it for something more... thematically neutral like iOS?

Stooby Mcdoobie
Jul 25, 2012, 02:17 AM
It would be silly if they call the next release Cougar. Cougar, Puma, and Mountain Lion are all names for the same animal. I wouldn't be surprised, though, since they decided to go with ML even though they've already used Puma.

thekev
Jul 25, 2012, 02:20 AM
My sources tell me you're all wrong. Future versions of Apple's OS (which, for all I know, may not even be called OS X anymore) will NOT be using big cat names. The most plausible replacement I know about is wine names. Therefore, I expect OS X (or XI) "Chablis". ;)

Linux already beat them to that.

griffinmeyer
Jul 25, 2012, 02:27 AM
Per Sheldon Cooper: OS X 10.9 Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty, Little Ball of Fur...

Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr...

siwsan
Jul 25, 2012, 03:18 AM
Hello Kitty!

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/user_images/4200000/HelloKittyLove9-4200475_50_50.jpg

rick3000
Jul 25, 2012, 03:25 AM
I recall reading they had trademarked Lynx, and Bobcat a few years ago. Since they seem to be going to variations with 'SL' and 'ML' we could see Siamese Tiger, Cougar, Albino, etc.

Personally, I like Liger, Gryphon, or TurboLionAlphaForceThrustInfityMax.

AlexBass
Jul 25, 2012, 04:24 AM
I'm still rooting for sea lion

the8thark
Jul 25, 2012, 04:28 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4qYFr.jpg

MonkeySee....
Jul 25, 2012, 04:35 AM
How about White Lion?

I'd go for White Tiger.

the8thark
Jul 25, 2012, 04:42 AM
Why not a Liger?

That's 10.4 + 10.7 all rolled into one.

trustme
Jul 25, 2012, 05:07 AM
OSX swat cats

BlueOcean
Jul 25, 2012, 05:31 AM
Ocelot

And then the incremental upgrade a year from that will be 'Revolver Ocelot'

:D

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111219170154/metalgear/es/images/6/61/Revolver_ocelot.jpg

madsci954
Jul 25, 2012, 06:06 AM
OS X 10.9 Nyan Cat

Big-TDI-Guy
Jul 25, 2012, 06:19 AM
Maru.

You had to drag me back to youtube... Maru, when you have productive stuff to do - and decide instead to watch videos of a cute cat from Japan... For six hours...

OS X 10.9 Iriomote (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Warning_signs_for_Iriomote_cat.jpg) - use that felid quick, before they're gone!

bearcatrp
Jul 25, 2012, 06:32 AM
Mac OS X Courteney Cox?

Image (http://atomictango.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Mac-OSX-Cougar.jpg)

With her on the cover, You would need to add "The worlds biggest Biyatch" under OS X Couger! :eek:

Aussi3
Jul 25, 2012, 08:16 AM
They are running out of cats to use what will be next? :)

heisenberg123
Jul 25, 2012, 08:22 AM
They are running out of cats to use what will be next? :)

nobody knows and there are a few threads on guesses if thats what your after

NotYoMac
Jul 25, 2012, 08:24 AM
OS X Fox Trot :p

bembol
Jul 25, 2012, 08:26 AM
Lion being the "King." I thought it would've ended with it and just continue using it/upgrading.

iMacFarlane
Jul 25, 2012, 09:55 AM
My three top pics:

"the New OS X" :rolleyes:

OS X - Ocelot
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Ocelot.jpg/800px-Ocelot.jpg

OS X - Mummified Egyptian Cat
http://birdysnest.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/cat-mummy.jpg?w=900

willvbcfc
Jul 25, 2012, 10:05 AM
Lynx would be best brand-wise.

Though I reckon they'll move to another exotic animal species rather than stay within the cat family.

Mak47
Jul 25, 2012, 10:40 AM
Gryphon might actually make a bit of symbolic sense, although it's a mythical creature. This would be particularly true if they switch to bird names next.

Lynx would be a safe choice, it's a real animal and sounds intimidating enough.

Cougar...with the way that one is used in pop culture it would be like Apple saying "Our OS might be old, but it's still hot". Really lame--though a few years ago it would have made some sense.

Ocelot, Maru or any of the other lesser-known cats wouldn't make much sense for a mass market product from Apple, I just don't see them going that way.

I doubt the mythical angle happens. Maybe Lynx, but that sounds an awful lot like Linux. We'll see.

afurry13
Jul 25, 2012, 10:43 AM
Mac OS X Nittany Lion

Prof.
Jul 25, 2012, 10:46 AM
Mac OS X Simba.

ascii42
Jul 25, 2012, 10:47 AM
Well, Puma, Panther, and Mountain Lion already refer to the same animal. So they could still use Catamount and Cougar.

carpetoday
Jul 25, 2012, 10:47 AM
Liger.

Patriot24
Jul 25, 2012, 10:50 AM
I've long said that when/if they decide to move on to a new naming convention that ocean animals are probably their best bet from a marketing standpoint. There is an abundance of names that will sound very soft, nature-esque, eco-friendly, and organic - things that Apple cares about as part of their brand.

Dolphin, Orca, Sea Lion, Ray...

<insert marketing slogans with puns about pods here>

Jumpthrough
Jul 25, 2012, 11:49 AM
Lion-O, from Thundercats!

Marrakas
Jul 25, 2012, 12:01 PM
Mac OS X Tubcat

They have already claimed the website: http://www.tubcat.com/

xcarlosx
Jul 25, 2012, 04:06 PM
No, 10.9 has been proven to feature Deadmau5's cat Professor Meowingtons Ph.D! Finely haxed ;)
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp0s4gWqP71qmohy8o1_1280.jpg

kettle
Jul 25, 2012, 04:24 PM
I'm banking on 10.9 Ceiling Cat. :D

yep, where is your god now!

Nathan20
Jul 26, 2012, 07:58 AM
how about OS X 10.9 Wolf

AfzalivE
Jul 26, 2012, 08:34 AM
how about oneiric Ocelot?

-_-

Winter Charm
Jul 26, 2012, 08:38 AM
There are no more 'big cats' names to use except maybe mountain cat (which does not sound interesting at all), and clouded leopard, which I'm 100% sure they won't use due to reasons explained earlier in this post.

One more thing... when Apple is finally done with OS X, and wants to move on to OS XI, what naming scheme do you think they'll adopt? perhaps canines? birds? sharks? or even dropping the whole animal theme, and go with stars, galaxies and maybe natural phenomena. OS XI Volcano, anyone?

Let me hear your thoughts!

Some big cats are still left.... However, they are found on the internet:

Maru
NyanCat
LolCat

JManJapan
Jul 27, 2012, 12:01 AM
Although since the previous use of Puma AND Panther didn't stop Apple from using Mountain Lion, so perhaps Cougar is still valid and for 10.9?

From Wikipedia: "The cougar (Puma concolor), also known as puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount or panther."

Also from Wikipedia: "Extant felids belong to one of two subfamilies: Pantherinae (which includes the tiger, the lion, the jaguar, and the leopard), and Felinae (which includes the cougar, the cheetah, the lynxes, the ocelot, and the domestic cat)."

With this in mind, personally I think only Lynx and Ocelot are the only available cat families available for 10.9, but they seem a bit wimpy for the las X release... They should have saved Lion or Tiger for the last release imo...

Smilodon (Saber-toothed cat) maybe? :)

Hexiii
Jul 27, 2012, 03:17 AM
What animal comes next after Mountain Lion? Any other member of cat family or completely new one? :)

ConCat
Jul 27, 2012, 03:18 AM
I believe they have a trademark on Lynx. After that? Dunno.

Pompiliu
Jul 27, 2012, 03:20 AM
Cougar.
:cool:

http://www.biology-blog.com/images/blogs/10-2006/cougar-820.jpg

GGJstudios
Jul 27, 2012, 03:21 AM
This topic has been beat to death in dozens of threads, including:

so which will be the next Big Cat? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1187417&highlight=cougar)
What comes after Lion? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1046921&highlight=ocelot)

Hexiii
Jul 27, 2012, 03:21 AM
This is nice :)

http://i.imgur.com/2uOxx.png

dukebound85
Jul 27, 2012, 03:27 AM
OSX Hyena

Transition from the cats to the dogs

WhackyNinja
Jul 27, 2012, 03:57 AM
Im betting on Bobcat

hafr
Jul 27, 2012, 04:05 AM
OS X Cougar?

http://static.igossip.com/photos/simonici_News_57144_courteney_cox_back_on_stage_as_a_cougar_town_woman_main_10314.jpg

vahnx
Jul 27, 2012, 02:48 PM
OS X Cougar?

Funny thing is, I bet it will be Cougar.

dukemeiser
Jul 27, 2012, 10:58 PM
Funny thing is, I bet it will be Cougar.

Seriously?

Cougar = Mountain Lion

It's different names for the same animal (Puma concolor).

hafr
Jul 28, 2012, 02:25 AM
Seriously?

Puma = Panther = Cougar = Mountain Lion

It's different names for the same animal (Puma concolor).
I fixed it for you.

28Gauge
Jul 28, 2012, 11:23 AM
How about OSX Stray Cat?

JManJapan
Jul 29, 2012, 11:30 AM

OSX Andromeda
OSX Aries
OSX Gemini
OSX Hydrus
OSX Orion
OSX Pisces

Andromeda is a galaxy (the closest major one to our own Milky Way), not a constellation.

/The Space Police

28Gauge
Jul 29, 2012, 12:58 PM
Andromeda is a galaxy (the closest major one to our own Milky Way), not a constellation.

/The Space Police

I think that a "outer space" naming sequence would be a good way to go. They could start at Milky Way and work their way out from there.

JManJapan
Jul 29, 2012, 01:02 PM
I think XI will have space names: Jupiter, Neptune, etc. Apple loves space.

I like this idea.

Maybe the latin names of the planets in our solar system (Terra sounds cooler than Earth). Though since Pluto has been demoted to a dwarf-planet/Plutinoid, and there are now only eight real planets in our solar system they'd have to either still include Pluto, as well as either the earth's moon (Luna in latin, which many astronomers now think used to be a Mars sized planet that crashed in to earth a few billion years ago giving earth much of its heavier elements. It's also by far the largest moon in our solar system, when compared to its host planet) and/or the sun (Sol) to make ten major releases available. It would take away the fun of guessing what the next release would be called though.

In terms of numbering, my money is on that Apple will call it iOS X 1.0 since 10.10 would be the same as 10.1, as mentioned by someone else previously.

Just my two yens' worth...

hafr
Jul 29, 2012, 01:04 PM
I would like to see the Nordic gods. Loki, Odin, Thor and so on.

xav8tor
Jul 29, 2012, 01:08 PM
Honey Badger. And get that Randall dude to narrate the TV commercials for it.

JManJapan
Jul 29, 2012, 01:14 PM
I think that a "outer space" naming sequence would be a good way to go. They could start at Milky Way and work their way out from there.

Most other galaxies have pretty boring names though, unless they'd include all the dwarf satelite galaxies of the Milky Way and Andromeda (e.g. Pegasus). I'd hate for an OS X release to be called NGC 2419 for example... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_galaxies

Tar Sniffer
Jul 29, 2012, 05:11 PM

/The Space Police

It's actually both. Andromeda I is a dwarf spheroidal galaxy(dSph) about 2.40 million light-years away in the constellation Andromeda. Good ol Wikipedia :)

Prof.
Aug 1, 2012, 03:43 PM
It had to be done.

cambookpro
Aug 4, 2012, 12:53 PM
Had a think, and I reckon:

OS X Serval (10.9)
OS X White Serval (10.10)

I got mountain lion, but not too confident with these two. Seems my best guess though :p

hafr
Aug 4, 2012, 03:28 PM
Had a think, and I reckon:

OS X Serval (10.9)
OS X White Serval (10.10)

I got mountain lion, but not too confident with these two. Seems my best guess though :p

If they do indeed continue with cat names, I would think Lynx is a pretty good guess for the next one, being pretty much the only commonly known wild cat-name left...

wiznet
Aug 12, 2012, 11:12 PM
Smilodon is my choice.

goldhunter
Aug 14, 2012, 08:44 AM
Lets consider the Jaglion:)

It's amazing how all these animals can cross breed and not eat each other in the process.

jamesjingyi
Aug 14, 2012, 08:48 AM
OSX Snow Peak Mountain Lionpard (Genetically Modified)

thekeyring
Aug 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
It worries me that people think OS 10.10 will follow 10.9 - this is numerically wrong. Doesn't anyone know basic maths?

GGJstudios
Aug 18, 2012, 02:57 PM
It worries me that people think OS 10.10 will follow 10.9 - this is numerically wrong. Doesn't anyone know basic maths?

The first number is the major version of Mac OS X. *The second number, behind the decimal point, indicates which update it is. It's entirely possible to have 9, 10, 11 or more updates to the same version of Mac OS X.

Soaring
Aug 31, 2012, 06:17 PM
My guess is that 10.9 will be called "White Lion"
10.10 will be called "Cougar"

and then they will release OS IX, and start a new naming scheme. Why continue with OS X forever?

Also, they haven't used "Bobcat", so that might be an option...

laudern
Aug 31, 2012, 06:36 PM
The first number is the major version of Mac OS X. *The second number, behind the decimal point, indicates which update it is. It's entirely possible to have 9, 10, 11 or more updates to the same version of Mac OS X.

Correct. Yes 10.x does require a decimal, but it is not a decimal fraction

bedifferent
Aug 31, 2012, 09:18 PM
10.9 "Kitty Litter" :p

Orange Furball
Aug 31, 2012, 09:37 PM
10.9 Allergies.

AppleFanatic10
Aug 31, 2012, 10:06 PM
10.9 - Cougar
11.0 - Hot Cougar

I was just thinking Cougar would be next!

mackid1993
Aug 31, 2012, 11:40 PM
I fixed it for you.

Because of that, I'm putting my money on Lynx-- and then a species of Lynx to follow... likely Bobcat.

tarryweather
Sep 3, 2012, 11:39 AM
OS X 10.9 Snoop Lion (http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-07-31/news/32966420_1_gangster-rap-doggystyle-lion)

MaxPower72
Sep 4, 2012, 11:31 PM
they should stick to sequential numbering, it's an OS not a car :rolleyes:

teamscottsmith
Sep 20, 2012, 02:28 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4SWhr8lMy80/UFtuFUHwIoI/AAAAAAAACEg/Gy47V4sjaS0/s400/MeerKat-OSX.png

The Meerkat seemed horribly overlooked.

TheRainKing
Sep 20, 2012, 02:51 PM
They will probably move on to small cats.

Mac OS X Serval (I like that one)
Mac OS X Lynx
Mac OS X Bobcat (lol)

froggreenfrog
Sep 21, 2012, 08:48 PM
I bet it will be called OSX bobcat :apple

pmz
Nov 19, 2012, 09:52 AM
sharks?

LOL!

Mac OS XI White Pointer

billyjp
Nov 19, 2012, 06:04 PM
Valley Cat.

Hey, I was just thinking: Did Apple plan to let this "cat" have exactly 9 lives, and then kill it off by merging into iOS?

That would be what I call "foresight"!

zonesey
Nov 27, 2012, 09:42 AM
OS X 10.9 Snoop Lion (http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-07-31/news/32966420_1_gangster-rap-doggystyle-lion)

The world's most pimped out operating system :cool:

lightless
Nov 27, 2012, 10:40 AM
OS X 10.9 Mufasa, king of (lying) lion.

Apple be lying so much about dates, they gonna be the CEO of the jungle!

lmao

StintheBeast
Nov 27, 2012, 11:43 PM
OS X 10.9 Underground Electric Zombie Space Lynx

SunnyRenegade33
Nov 29, 2012, 10:32 PM
I could definitely see Apple taking up the name "OSX Lynx" for their next OS release - although, they're really running out of easily identifiable types of wildcats :D

If they did make a transition in the theme of their naming schemes, I definitely don't think they'd adopt anything space related - since Google seems to already have done that (Android, Nexus) and Samsung (Galaxy) etc. - following in the footsteps of two of their largest competitors doesn't seem very Apple-esque. I could be wrong, though.

cyberguy1
Dec 10, 2012, 06:33 PM
then the power goes out, and the hungry prehistoric creatures try to kill you.

... Where have i seen this before?

jurassic park xd

zippity
Jan 7, 2013, 07:03 PM
Mac OS X 10.9 Liger?

I like the idea ;)! Maybe not for 10.9, but for the merge between OS X and iOS, if it ever happens.

For the 10.9 name, my first choice, personally, would be the ocelot, and then the saber-toothed tiger.

For the next generation OS, whatever it will be (iOS I?), possibly naming their operating systems after land formations would sound cool (iOS I 1.0 Volcano, 1.1 Mountain, 1.2 Gorge, etc.). If they wanted to go into space, I would name them after constellations (iOS I 1.0 Andromeda, 1.1 Pegasus, 1.2 Taurus, etc.).

trustever
Jan 30, 2013, 03:14 PM
Here is another one that votes for constellations, I have already named my hard drive partitions with the names of few planets of the solar system so a constellation name for the OS will be the perfect complement.

What I wondered is why so far, in the Cook era when we knew every detail of the Iphone 5 ages before the presentation, 1 month ahead of the rumored new OS presentation no one knows the name and features of the new OS?

Also if you google it you don't find a dime apart some speculation of late november 2013...

Tar Sniffer
Jan 31, 2013, 07:19 AM
If Apple don't use constellation names than moons from our solar system and beyond would be nice.

OS X Luna
OS X Thebe
OS X Europa
OS X Typhon
OS X Hyrda
OS X Hyperion
OS X Titan

allanbergdk
Feb 6, 2013, 09:50 AM
OS X 10.9 Hello Kitty- so tiny and sweet, it fits on Mac's and Ipad nano..

Sky Blue
Feb 6, 2013, 09:56 AM
OS X 10.9 Hello Kitty- so tiny and sweet, it fits on Mac's and Ipad nano..

Congratulations! You're the 1,000,000th person to make this joke in the last 10 years!

Harrycooke
Feb 6, 2013, 10:03 AM
I could imagine they'll change the scheme soon.

GGJstudios
Feb 6, 2013, 10:05 AM
I could imagine panther.
That's already been used.

Harrycooke
Feb 6, 2013, 11:40 AM
That's already been used.

That's probably why I could imagine it then. 😂😂

Gilesybox75
Feb 6, 2013, 01:03 PM
I wonder if they're heading in a new direction with 'thunderbolt' display and 'lightning' cable etc.

Tar Sniffer
Feb 8, 2013, 07:25 AM
I took a look at the United States Patent and Trademark Office hoping to find any trademarked big cat names. What I discovered was that both Lynx and Cougar were trademarked by Apple in 2003. So that should put the mystery to rest until 10.11 ;)

GGJstudios
Feb 8, 2013, 10:40 AM
I took a look at the United States Patent and Trademark Office hoping to find any trademarked big cat names. What I discovered was that both Lynx and Cougar were trademarked by Apple in 2003. So that should put the mystery to rest until 10.11 ;)
Both trademarks for Lynx (http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4004:8uai5r.3.151) and Cougar (http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4004:8uai5r.4.115) were abandoned around 5 years ago.

Tar Sniffer
Feb 8, 2013, 11:34 PM
Both trademarks for Lynx (http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4004:8uai5r.3.151) and Cougar (http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4004:8uai5r.4.115) were abandoned around 5 years ago.

I didn't see the 'dead' status. The trademarks could easily be picked up again, but I wonder why they were cancelled at all.

GGJstudios
Feb 10, 2013, 11:47 PM
I didn't see the 'dead' status. The trademarks could easily be picked up again, but I wonder why they were cancelled at all.
Here you go:

forza69
Feb 11, 2013, 01:38 AM
If Apple don't use constellation names than moons from our solar system and beyond would be nice.

OS X Luna
OS X Thebe
OS X Europa
OS X Typhon
OS X Hyrda
OS X Hyperion
OS X Titan

I wouldn't be surprised if they indeed went the constellation route, seeing as their wallpapers have almost always been something relating to space.

Futurix
Feb 12, 2013, 07:16 AM
Mac OS X 10.9 Clouded Leopard :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clouded_Leopard

marconiusrex
Mar 1, 2013, 12:49 AM
Sabre Toothed Tiger! My Fav! Or another funny way to go would be to go with OS X Tabby Cat! :o

GGJstudios
Mar 1, 2013, 08:52 AM
It's getting tougher to come up with names that haven't already been suggested several times:
Mac OS X 10.9 Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard
Could also be cougar or clouded leopard
I wanted to check out the names that Apple still hasn't used yet: cougar and clouded leopard.
Sabre Toothed Tiger!
Hoping for sabretooth, that would be awesome!
I was hoping for Saberthooth Tiger as next name.
Or another funny way to go would be to go with OS X Tabby Cat! :o
Tabby.
The series will go: Tabby, ...

Some of the same names keep popping up repeatedly:

Bobcat x9
Calico x3
Catamount x3
Clouded Leopard x4
Cougar (and variations) x24
Garfield x4
Hello Kitty x3
Maru x5
Liger x5
LOLcat x2
Lynx x16
Nittany Lion x3
Nyan Cat x3
Ocelot (and variations) x17
Sabre/Saber-toothed Tiger/Smilodon x10
Sea Lion x5
Serval (and variations) x5
Tabby x3
Thundercat x4

seveej
Mar 14, 2013, 04:56 AM
Well...

I know speculating makes no sense, but as I'm probably not going to upgrade, I'm more interested in the name, than the feature set.

The major question will be, what happens after 10.9. Does apple have something up it's sleeve (for about 12-18 months hence), which justifies a major increment (whether it's Mac OS X 11.0 or Mac OS XI ), or will apple just go for Mac OS X 10.10 ???

If they go for 11.x then they're out of the conundrum of thinking up new cat names and can go for whatever (dogs, planets, constellations etc.). If so, then 10.9 will be the "final cat", and I personally hope for "Lynx" (reason being that that's the only big cat we have here in northern Europe and have been felt left out thus far :) )

RGDS,

jafingi
Mar 14, 2013, 05:25 AM
Mac OSX Sabertooth. :D

GGJstudios
Mar 14, 2013, 09:25 AM
See my post, just 2 before yours.

hackerwayne
Mar 16, 2013, 11:25 AM
I like how everyone just sort of assumes the next generation of the Mac OS will be called "OS XI"

I fully expect OS X to last beyond version 10.10. And whatever the next incarnation is, I have a feeling it will have a very different name.

I also suspect that they will quit with the cat names before they move on to next gen OS.

10.10 = 10.1 in Maths lol

----------

and get sued by Asus lol

Lunfai
Mar 20, 2013, 11:00 PM
http://cl.ly/image/2p2I0V022a36/content

;) Maybe. hehe.

Kashchei
Mar 20, 2013, 11:03 PM
Good idea--I hadn't thought of that one before!

mactumors
Mar 20, 2013, 11:26 PM
I'm not saying that you're wrong, but...

http://i.imgur.com/vQyxjMD.png

...they are just search suggestions and may not even be related to Apple.

Sound214
Mar 21, 2013, 05:54 AM
I remember testing the exact same things a couple of weeks ago, and it showed Lynx in the same fashion. That's all gone now, though, even if you try to spell the first letters out.

marvz
Mar 21, 2013, 02:13 PM
Tomorrow we'll know more.. ;)

MikhailT
Mar 21, 2013, 03:58 PM
They're caching the common searches that people are performing on their sites, which is a smart thing to do because it reduces the CPU/disk load on the servers by caching the actual search results.

The reason both sabertooth and lynx shows up is because that's what many people here searched based on previous rumors, not solely because Apple have it somewhere on their site.

Tmelon
Mar 21, 2013, 05:21 PM
Tomorrow we'll know more.. ;)

Is that a random guess or do you somehow know more than us?

PBP
Mar 22, 2013, 05:04 AM
Is that a random guess or do you somehow know more than us?

Random guess based on some twitter rumors

trustever
Mar 22, 2013, 05:16 AM
today is Friday... no one does big announcment on a Friday..

Ddyracer
Mar 22, 2013, 05:17 AM
They could reuse the Mountain cat name with OS X Cougar.

Connersaw64
Mar 22, 2013, 10:32 AM
I think we all know what it's really going to be.

OSX 10.9 Bearshark.

Badrottie
Mar 22, 2013, 12:33 PM
OS XI Steve Jobs :apple:

printz
Mar 22, 2013, 02:16 PM
Honestly I hope they give a real name to the system. Operating System Ten sounds too basic. Macintosh would have sounded better, but it has been applied to the computer, not the software. When talking to people (vast majority PC users anyway), I just say "Macintosh" when I talk about it.

ELMI0001
Mar 22, 2013, 03:05 PM
MacOS X Feral

----------

Honestly I hope they give a real name to the system. Operating System Ten sounds too basic. Macintosh would have sounded better, but it has been applied to the computer, not the software. When talking to people (vast majority PC users anyway), I just say "Macintosh" when I talk about it.

Maybe they go New Mac OS X instead of the names.

djtech42
Mar 22, 2013, 10:06 PM
10.9 Sabertooth is the highest result now. I would be happy with Sabertooth. It implies cutting edge and aggressive, powerful software (which I hope this version will be). I predicted Lynx before, but Sabertooth would be a cooler name.

cjmillsnun
Mar 24, 2013, 03:52 PM
Sorry... Couldn't resist... Those in the UK will understand ;)

Weaselboy
Mar 24, 2013, 05:11 PM
Sorry... Couldn't resist... Those in the UK will understand ;)

I so want this to happen! :)