Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erinmcm1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Trying to get Heroes II Gold to work in wineskin, and having some issues. Anyone done this before? Help?

------------------------------

HOMM2 does run on dos and I have that, works great, but the expansion/gold edition was only made for windows, thus, wineskin.

I haven't actually tried to use wineskin before so I've only done the most basic install. The installation worked fine, when I go to actually play it, it freezes at some point during either the intro or on the select game screen.

I can give error reports from doing the test run? I didn't give more information before because I have NO idea what will be helpful, but let me know and I'll tell you. Thanks!

Last edited:

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
it would be easier if you explained what you've done exactly to get it to work, with a description of the problem you are having.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
If I'm not mistaken i do think Homm2 runs in dos?
I think dosbox would be better suited

if its a DOS program ... yeah.. use DOSBox. Wine's DOS support is nearly non-existant... and they've put in support for it to work in hand with DOSBox anyways.

erinmcm1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
HOMM2 does run on dos and I have that, works great, but the expansion/gold edition was only made for windows, thus, wineskin.

I haven't actually tried to use wineskin before so I've only done the most basic install. The installation worked fine, when I go to actually play it, it freezes at some point during either the intro or on the select game screen.

I can give error reports from doing the test run? I didn't give more information before because I have NO idea what will be helpful, but let me know and I'll tell you. Thanks!

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Looking at the AppDb entry.. I'd suggest going into winecfg and setting the Windows version to win98.

Also, try the Wineskin.app Screen Options for Override -> Fullscreen or a virtual desktop, set with the correct resolution that the game looks for... I'm not sure what that is, but due to its age, its probably 640x480, or 800x600. Several older games like that will not run with the Automatic setting.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
HOMM2 is a very difficult program to get fully working in any sort of virtualization. You can get it most of the way there, but it's reliance on things like manipulating the CD drive to play CD based audio tracks are almost impossible to transit through virtualization/WINE.

I know it's a bit different of a game, but Heroes 3 runs perfect. Not that I don't miss Heroes 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.