Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topoftheclass13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Hello,

First time poster time poster, long time lurker. Have been following the buyers guide and front page getting updates on a possible refresh on the MBP. Currently I am in Law School[2nd year] and am looking to replace my very old current laptop. I don't play very many games[if any] or do any programming of any kind but like to be able to multi task and speed is a major bonus for me. Is there any reason to hold out for the MBP? Will the Air be more than enough? I use word and programs that the average student used to do homework etc. The only online games I say I use are poker clients but thats about it. Additionally I plan on buying a external hard drive to store music on.

Is there any reason not to get a MBA now? I love how light it is as a law student has to carry multiple books. The MBA design isn't going to be changing anytime soon is it? Yes I am one of those that would get very bitter if I spent money and the design changed. I have kept my laptop in great condition for years so I want to buy something that will last me a few years into practice.

Thanks for the help guys!

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Well with Intel supposedly pushing back Ivy Bridge's release to June, it's more than likely we won't see any updates to the MBP or MBA (or any other Mac line) until mid/late summer, or even into Autumn. Also with Mountain Lion being announced for a summer release, that's probably a good indication that a new Mac won't launch before it (seems to me it'd be more likely a Mac would launch with it... but that wasn't the case last year for the MBP or iMac, so who knows)

So if you can wait 4-8 months, I guess that'd be the best option if you think you'd be a victim of buyer's remorse.

However! The current MBA is more than enough for your needs and will last you a good ~4 years (or longer), I'd estimate. Which one would you go for? 11in or 13in? 64GB or 128GB or 256GB? You may not need an external unless you have a gigantic music collection.

Another option, if you need the ports/etc on an MBP is to get an MBP with an SSD (either build-to-order or self-installation).

mwayne85

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
The Macbook Airs would be more than enough for what you need. You will have no problem multitasking on them. The current design is awesome and I wouldn't stress too much on a redesign anytime soon. The ultimate advice is always the same, if you need it now, buy it now. We probably won't see new Airs until probably the Summer/Fall.

topoftheclass13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Hey guys thanks for the responses!

as for size i'd be in for the 13 inch 128gb version of the air if I were to purchase that one.

Right now I mostly use my Ipad and love the idea of being able to sync stuff from my Ipad to my laptop and vice versa.

Will the Air's be getting new body when the pros refresh as well? Or will the air basically keep its look for a while?

Additionally, it sounds like the air might be perfect for me? Im not a big gamer but just love the idea of fast startups and a fast computer.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I used to have a MBP (2008) and, as I travel a lot, and weight is an issue, I bought a MBA in 2010.

The advantages of the latter are firstly, a blazingly fast start-up and responses (thanks to the SSD - once you have switched to a SSD, there will be no going back to the more traditional form of HDD); secondly, superb screen resolution, especially on the 13", and thirdly, it is extremely portable.

While none of us can predict the future re actual design, personally, I cannot see the design of the MBA being jettisoned in the near future; indeed, if anything, the 'pro' branch of the Mac laptop family may come to resemble the MBA more, rather than vice versa.

Moreover, while advances in technology and design will, inevitably, make any current MBA relatively redundant in time, that will take a few years to take effect fully. Meanwhile, I suspect that such advances as will take place are likely to be incremental rather than revolutionary.

My advice is to buy a MBA now if you think you need it. Should the design of the thing be radically overhauled in a year or so, why then, sell your MBA, and buy the later model.

Best of luck with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.