Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
situation:

Mac mini server OSX 10.6.8 running SMB service to provide networked shared volumes for 8 Windows 7 computers clients.

90% of the stuff are MS Office 2007 word documents that are accessed over wifi network.

Once in a while, randomly on this or that computer the user get's message like: "Permissions denied. Read only access" (i don't remember the exact message). The result is that the user cannot save the updated Word file unless it's saved as a copy altering the name (as xxxx2.doc for e.g.)

Is there something that would help me troubleshoot this problem ?

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
situation:

Mac mini server OSX 10.6.8 running SMB service to provide networked shared volumes for 8 Windows 7 computers clients.

90% of the stuff are MS Office 2007 word documents that are accessed over wifi network.

Once in a while, randomly on this or that computer the user get's message like: "Permissions denied. Read only access" (i don't remember the exact message). The result is that the user cannot save the updated Word file unless it's saved as a copy altering the name (as xxxx2.doc for e.g.)

Is there something that would help me troubleshoot this problem ?

Just for clarification you are running a Windows Shop with a Mac server? SMB file sharing services are pretty wonky IMHO on OSX Server. The problem at hand can be a few things, #1 someone is working on the file from the Network and not locally and #2 permissions are getting messed up from the users side.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Just for clarification you are running a Windows Shop with a Mac server? SMB file sharing services are pretty wonky IMHO on OSX Server. The problem at hand can be a few things, #1 someone is working on the file from the Network and not locally and #2 permissions are getting messed up from the users side.

yes, OSX is only as SMB file server.
most of the time it's smooth. how do i determine what side is at fault - messing the permissions ? OSX or W7 ?

Optimouse^^

macrumors member
May 22, 2007
I wish I had a more helpful answer for you, but MS Word produces similar errors in our office environment. We are running CIFS on a NAS and have a mixed Mac/PC office. The errors only occur when MS Word is in use..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.