Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Siri - useless, more of novelty.
Newsstand - seriously who uses this thing?
Compass - see "newwstand"

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Siri is a novelty but has helped me out sometimes.

I agree with Newsstand.

Disagree with compass. The built in compass on the maps app has helped me countless times when trying to navigate in a car or on foot.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Do you feel a little better now you've vented.

I find siri useful in lots of aspects.

People don't like new stand because the subscriptions are abnormally priced, with very little is free gratis. Also some would like to have the option to delete it altogether which should be an option really.

Compas is one thing i have never used but if I'm ever lost who knows !

Maybe if your thread showed some balance on what you do like, and what you do use ,and what you would like to see happen to improve those apps !

----------

Siri is a novelty but has helped me out sometimes

The chatter I've recently read about Siri is encouraging and could possibly be more and more integrated into apples future plans !

Exciting times ahead...............i hope.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I use siri multiple times a day. To each his own
Newsstand is something is nice but I use it more in my iPad than iPhone
The compass is awesome not sure it needs to be a separate app but you do realize if you double tap the location button in google maps it will use the compass to show your direction. Like someone else said very useful when walking around

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
People don't like new stand because the subscriptions are abnormally priced, with very little is free gratis. Also some would like to have the option to delete it altogether which should be an option really.

That is why I should be able to hide the stupid thing. Everything I found on news stand is subscription. All the free news stand apps I found are not really free because you have to pay extra to view anything on them. Even NYTimes is crippled when I try to read news and it only lets me read one sentence then I have to pay "NO WAY" to read the rest of the article. I can just go into Safari and read the articles somewhere else for free.

Just add a option in the Settings app to turn it off as I will never use it and having it on my home screen is distracting.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
As a journalist in a field where jobs are being cut daily, maybe you should pay for the news and support the industry. I find Newsstand to be very useful, though I wish new issues actually downloaded in the background like they are supposed to. I subscribe (aka pay) to The Daily as well as Mac Life currently. I've dabbled with others as well. Despite what the Internet has taught you, not everything is free in life.

Though I don't ever use newsstand on my iPhone. But I don't use several of the default apple apps. I just move them off my main home screen and forget about them.

Siri is great for texting while driving. I wish she understood me every time, but it's still better than getting a ticket for texting while driving, or having to pull over to do it.

Compass never works for me. It always points the wrong direction or has interference, so I'll agree with you there.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
Siri - useless, more of novelty.
Newsstand - seriously who uses this thing?
Compass - see "newwstand"

We need to delete Newstand once and for all. No one wants it.

Siri- now hold your horses. As long as she learns more, I will like to talk to her. Wait until she can tell me the bus schedule and teach me a language.

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012
Apple made a mistake. They should have made Newsstand iPad-only. It would have made more sense that way. The iPhone's screen is just too small to get any reading done.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Apple made a mistake. They should have made Newsstand iPad-only. It would have made more sense that way. The iPhone's screen is just too small to get any reading done.

So you think iBooks for iPhone should be removed too? Not a good idea.

While I see a lot of hate for Newsstand on here, I think it's great. I believe it should be optional, because quite a number of people do use it regularly. I'm subscribed to the Guardian newspaper in the UK, and find it fantastic. Pretty much anyone who has ever used Zinio will understand why Newsstand is good.

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012
So you think iBooks for iPhone should be removed too? Not a good idea.

While I see a lot of hate for Newsstand on here, I think it's great. I believe it should be optional, because quite a number of people do use it regularly. I'm subscribed to the Guardian newspaper in the UK, and find it fantastic. Pretty much anyone who has ever used Zinio will understand why Newsstand is good.

Ah, Zinio is amazing. Definitely picked up from that one, Apple.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I agree with the first two, however the compass can be very useful, because it means you've got a compass whenever you've got your iPhone :) I wish you could delete stock apps though, so you can delete apps that don't appeal to you personally.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I agree with the first two, however the compass can be very useful, because it means you've got a compass whenever you've got your iPhone :) I wish you could delete stock apps though, so you can delete apps that don't appeal to you personally.

does anyone actually use the stock app?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the worst 'feature' in iOS right now is the inability to remove the pre-installed applications. some people use them all, some only use a few etc, give people a choice to remove them as they see fit. i can understand a couple being locked completely such as settings, app store, safari, phone, and messages but the stocks, newsstand, weather, voice memos etc should all be able to be removed. it wouldn't be that hard to add them to the 'purchases' tab of the app store so they could be redownloaded at any point either.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
They can keep newsstand for people who use it. I should at least be able to go into the settings app and turn it off hide it from the home screen. I can turn off other apple apps in the settings app.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
It's funny how there's only like three things we can find that are the "worst features of iOS" and it's not really that bad.

iOS is something else- it's the most sophisticated operating system in the world.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I agree with Eric8191 - As a retired newspaper editor, I've seen that print news is struggling; the future is digital - but this is a transition period. Same for magazines.

I bought my iPad2 just to see what the future is for print. I LOVE the interactive magazines (the few that are out there), but I'm dismayed at this point about the cost of digital magazines/newspapers. Why should I pay $20-30 for a digital subscription when I can get the (more expensive) paper versions for $8/year??

Add to that, downloads are long, frequent and annoying. There's a lot needed to be done before digital takes over print. If I download a magazine, it's there only until I do something else and go back to it. THEN, it has to be downloaded again... Yawn!

However, I think digital ultimately will be the future of publications. It's interesting to follow - from the outside, where personal income and employment aren't challenged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.