Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Is this possible? I've got the base Mac Mini 2011 with only 2GB RAM.

Nov 28, 2010
located
How do I do this? Thanks.

You partition your HDD via Disk Utility into two partitions (add a second partition via the "+" icon under the PARTITIONS tab) and then choose that second partition as installation target during the installation, though you should have the installer on an external USB flash memory thumb drive or on a DVD.

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

Make An OS X Lion Boot Disc

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:

Also think about upgrading your Mac to 4 to 8 GB of 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM, 8 GB (two 4 GB modules) cost less than 50 USD via Newegg or Amazon or Crucial or Corsair.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
You partition your HDD via Disk Utility into two partitions (add a second partition via the "+" icon under the PARTITIONS tab) and then choose that second partition as installation target during the installation, though you should have the installer on an external USB flash memory thumb drive or on a DVD.

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

Make An OS X Lion Boot Disc

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:

Also think about upgrading your Mac to 4 to 8 GB of 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM, 8 GB (two 4 GB modules) cost less than 50 USD via Newegg or Amazon or Crucial or Corsair.
I see. My Mini doesn't have a DVD drive haha. So I guess I could just install the new OSX on another partition within OSX Lion?

Thanks for the help.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I see. My Mini doesn't have a DVD drive haha. So I guess I could just install the new OSX on another partition within OSX Lion?

Thanks for the help.

Ah, I forgot about the ODD part.

And partially yes, you need to create another partition on the HDD where the partition with Lion is on.
That partition will be separate from Lion.

You could also use an external HDD connected via FW800 to install ML onto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.