Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
Well, the question is pretty much in the title. Is there an easy way of going through the address book to find the compatible addresses and numbers? As it is now, I have to try to send a message to a number or an e-mail address to see whether it goes through or not...

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
Not through Address Book, but if a contact has no compatible contact methods their name should appear red in the "To:" field:

4ui0cp.png

The drop down on a persons name will give a breakdown of contact methods, the blue iMessage icon denoting that that address/phone number can receive iMessages. If you manually choose an incompatible address or phone number their name will be highlighted in red.

Note that there seems to be a bug where if you close Messages when someones name is highlighted red when you reload Messages the next messages to that person will still be sent to the incompatible email but their name will be highlighted blue - it's only Beta software after all.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
Not through Address Book, but if a contact has no compatible contact methods their name should appear red in the "To:" field:

4ui0cp.png

The drop down on a persons name will give a breakdown of contact methods, the blue iMessage icon denoting that that address/phone number can receive iMessages. If you manually choose an incompatible address or phone number their name will be highlighted in red.

Note that there seems to be a bug where if you close Messages when someones name is highlighted red when you reload Messages the next messages to that person will still be sent to the incompatible email but their name will be highlighted blue - it's only Beta software after all.
I know you can go through the phone book entry by entry and see whether or not Messages accepts it, just as on the iDevices. That's what I want to avoid having to do though... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.