Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Here's a new KickStarter project for a waterproof, shockproof iPhone case that includes a supplementary battery and solar charger - - it's called the Aqua Tek S.

77-Aqua-Tek-S.jpg

The AQUA TEK S is the first ever battery powered, solar charged, rugged under water iPhone 4/4S case made with technology enthusiast and adrenaline junkies in mind. Whether you’re skiing a black diamond slope, fly fishing at your favorite lake, snorkeling an epic reef or kicking it back poolside, the AQUA TEK S can take your iPhone to places where no iPhone has gone before.

Waterproof up to 20 feet and designed to withstand drops, falls and accidental spills, the outer shell is made from tough Poly-carbonate materials with rubber grips for added protection.

The AQUA TEK S’ built in battery and solar charger gives users peace of mind about running out of power while hiking, skiing, camping and lounging. Easily charge and sync the iPhone in the AQUA TEK S by opening the thumb screw and attaching a micro USB to the connector.

Though unique, a potential buyer of this product would have to have very specific requirements. I can understand the potential need for a fully waterproof case - but who really needs a built-in solar charger? Who is going to leave their phone lying face down in the sun for the hours and hours that a tiny size solar panel like that would take to charge your battery?

itzikaiz

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2012
Amazing!!!! Great idea

What an amazing idea!!! For people that love boating, scuba diving, fishing, now we have the freedom to take our phone with us. Thank you Aqua Tek.

:)

Here's a new KickStarter project for a waterproof, shockproof iPhone case that includes a supplementary battery and solar charger - - it's called the Aqua Tek S.

Though unique, a potential buyer of this product would have to have very specific requirements. I can understand the potential need for a fully waterproof case - but who really needs a built-in solar charger? Who is going to leave their phone lying face down in the sun for the hours and hours that a tiny size solar panel like that would take to charge your battery?

----------

The Iphone is BIG!!!
It needs a big rough case to protect it. As a person that enjoys the beach, the water and always have to leave my phone in the car, I think this is a BIG IDEA, could not agree with you more!!!!!!!!!!
Way too big for my taste.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
What an amazing idea!!! For people that love boating, scuba diving, fishing, now we have the freedom to take our phone with us. Thank you Aqua Tek.

:)

----------

The Iphone is BIG!!!

hows the iphone big :rolleyes: it was the thinnest smartphone when it came out

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Should work well for fishermen on small boats without a power source to plug into, other than that I don't see a need for such a case.

stcizzle

macrumors regular
May 20, 2011
NH, USA
If the economy continues to worsen and gas prices soar to $35 a gallon and I am forced to sell my car and have to walk to work in the pouring rain and i have to fish in frozen ponds in the middle of winter to feed my wife and 5 kids and also my electricity bill skyrockets to $900 a month and I can't afford electricity anymore to charge my phone and I go down to only my fireplace and candles, I still wouldn't touch that f*c*i*g thing or even ever look at another picture of it.

Sorry for the long sarcastic comment but some of these things ppl come out with are just plain retarded. Any case that is more than 200% larger than the phone itself should not be considered a case. Perhaps these monstrosities should be called iPhone garages? This one could be a green solar garage.

I just almost threw up in my mouth (saw the pics again) gtg...

-looks exactly like that thing that the UPS guy gives you to sign for packages. Haha

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006

User has just joined? User has only 1 post, fervently extolling the virtues of a product? Smells like:

astroturf-astroturf11.jpg

to me...

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
77-Aqua-Tek-S.jpg

Way too big for my taste.

I still wouldn't touch that f*c*i*g thing or even ever look at another picture of it.... some of these things ppl come out with are just plain retarded. Any case that is more than 200% larger than the phone itself should not be considered a case.

I just almost threw up in my mouth (saw the pics again) gtg...

The deep sea diver's Newtsuit would also look rather unwieldy to a person just heading out for a night on the town...

Deep_Sea_Diving_Suit.jpg

A true waterproof case is a specialty bit of gear that will naturally only appeal to a small segment of the market with very specific needs.

VydorScope

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Yea, ugly color and huge. Unwieldy. Reminds me of the OtterBox Defender I returned. I'll stick with my Lifeproof case which is water proof and only a little larger then the naked iPhone.

VydorScope

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Actually I have read a lot of very positive reviews about it, and it holds up well to falls and spills in my personal experience. The reviews you link refer to an older version of they case. Case is over priced, but it is by far the best case I have first hand experience with, and much rather have it over that ugly orange monster pictured above. Thats just my opinion. :)

cbmstocks

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2012
your'e allowed to have your own opinion. however, it is an incorrect one. the screen protector is horrible, and the gap between that and the screen ahs not shrank as lifeproof's claims. when using speakerphone, the mic does not work. siri use is spotty at best. it has everything to do with the lifeproof. this is a replacement to the first lifeproof i owned, and if i could i would just sell it. however, i can not do that in good conscience because of the appalling quality of every single one of these cases i've used. no dust is supposed to be able to penetrate the screen, however i've had to remove it twice to brush the dust out from in between the protector and glass screen. and ever since the first time i split the case open, the corners are furled

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Neat idea. Obviously this is for a very vertical use, but waterproof, ruggedized, plus a charger? Sounds like an awesome solution for our boat trips, surfing, fishing, mountain biking.

In many of those situations, power isn't available either (which was probably their thinking around the solar charger).

I wonder if it floats :)

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
I think this is pretty cool, and I don't think it is targeting a specific customer base at all. I can think of a ton of uses personally that I think others would love it for. Camping, Hiking, At the pool/beach, Biking, White water rafting, Fishing, Concerts, etc.

I probably wouldn't keep it on all the time, just when participating in the above activities....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.