Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahan.tm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Florida
Hi,

I am fetching data from core data and putting it into an array using the following code:
Code:
/*
     Fetch existing events.
     Create a fetch request; find the Event entity and assign it to the request; add a sort descriptor; then execute the fetch.
     */
    marblebeingdragged=YES;
	NSFetchRequest *request = [[NSFetchRequest alloc] init];
	NSEntityDescription *entity = [NSEntityDescription entityForName:@"Child" inManagedObjectContext:_managedObjectContext];
	[request setEntity:entity];

// Order the events by creation date, most recent first.
	NSSortDescriptor *nameDescriptor = [[NSSortDescriptor alloc] initWithKey:@"name" ascending:NO];
    NSSortDescriptor *prizeDescriptor = [[NSSortDescriptor alloc] initWithKey:@"prize" ascending:NO];
    NSSortDescriptor *neededDescriptor = [[NSSortDescriptor alloc] initWithKey:@"marblesneeded" ascending:NO];
    NSSortDescriptor *colorDescriptor = [[NSSortDescriptor alloc] initWithKey:@"color" ascending:NO];
    NSSortDescriptor *reachedDiscriptor = [[NSSortDescriptor alloc] initWithKey:@"prizereached" ascending:NO];

NSArray *sortDescriptors = [[NSArray alloc] initWithObjects:nameDescriptor,prizeDescriptor,neededDescriptor,colorDescriptor, nil];
	[request setSortDescriptors:sortDescriptors];
	[nameDescriptor release];
    [colorDescriptor release];
    [prizeDescriptor release];
    [neededDescriptor release];
    [reachedDiscriptor release];
	[sortDescriptors release];

// Execute the fetch -- create a copy of the result.
	NSError *error = nil;
    records = [[self.managedObjectContext executeFetchRequest:request error:&error] retain];

[request release];

However, when using this code however, Instruments shows memory leaks associated with
Code:
 records = [[self.managedObjectContext executeFetchRequest:request error:&error] retain];

If I release records after I release request, my app crashes as records is called throughout my view controller. When and where should I release records? Should I use autorelease? If so, how?

RonC

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Chicago-area
Arc?

Nothing seems obviously wrong to me. Does the warning go away if you enable ARC? If not, then there is something more fundamental at play; if so, then it's fixed. :)

Reminds me a little bit of a diagram on my colleague's wall:
Universal Engineering Checklist - Answer these 2 questions: Does it move? Should it?
  • Yes and yes: do nothing
  • No and no: do nothing
  • Yes and no: duct tape
  • No and Yes: WD-40

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Universal Engineering Checklist - Answer these 2 questions: Does it move? Should it?
  • Yes and yes: do nothing
  • No and no: do nothing
  • Yes and no: duct tape
  • No and Yes: WD-40
And if you erroneously answered Yes and No, but then realized it should be No and Yes, then WD-40 acts as a solvent for the duct tape adhesive.

If the error is in the other direction, then add Everclear and Shop Towels On A Roll to your kit of Universal Engineering Tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.