PDA

View Full Version : Creating swf with text input in InDesign CS5.5

savvos
Feb 19, 2012, 02:05 AM
I'm trying to create a swf book using InDesign that has turnable pages, embedded music and a field where users can enter the name of a character that later appears throughout the book.

The turnable pages and music were a snap. What I am having difficulty on is creating a text input field that then displays the name on the following pages. On thing I tried was exporting the project to Flash Pro as an fla file to concatenate the names with the appropriate sentences, but it doesn't look like the text made it through in an editable format. Of course, I could be missing something since Flash Pro isn't as intuitive to me as InDesign. I'm not a programmer (although I could learn if need be), so I was hoping that there would be some way to accomplish this in InDesign.

Any ideas? If this is impossible in InDesign, what would br the best way to go about creating this swf? Thank you.

UTclassof89
Feb 19, 2012, 09:18 PM
Sounds like what you want might be a Local Shared Object (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/net/SharedObject.html).

If the other InDesign pages contain SWFs, they should be able to access it and display its unique data

savvos
Feb 19, 2012, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the reply. That looks similar to some o the other solutions I've seen to this problem. Do you know if I would I be able to design this entirely in InDesign and publish one swf that would enable the functionality for end users, or would I need to build this in Flash Pro?

UTclassof89
Feb 20, 2012, 08:12 AM
You'd need Flash Pro to build the SWFs that set and retrieve the shared object. Then import those SWFs into InDesign to generate your single page-flip file.

savvos
Feb 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
Got it. Thank you.