Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattReid3275

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
I have a new macbook that I purchased at the beginning of january. All of my software is up to date and all that good stuff. Well i initially installed the trial version of Microsoft office 2011, the trial ran out yesterday, rather than dropping the money to purchase 2011, which i didn't like very much, a friend of mine let me install their Microsoft office 2008 for Mac. Anyways I created several documents, word and excel documents with office 2011, well I can open all of them except one excel document, the message it gives me is "The file is corrupt and cannot be opened." then the 2nd message says, "the file might have been damaged or modified from its original format." I believe the format of this file is .XLSX, though i have another in that format that it allows me to open and edit like normal. Any suggestions?

MattReid3275

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
BTW I'm running the latest version of OS X lion, I'm not using windows for my operating system, nor do i have it installed, just the office applications

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
Theoretically, that should open fine like the other files. Perhaps it actually is corrupt.

Do you have a backup copy of the file that you can try opening? Another test may be to try uploading the "corrupt" file to Google Docs to see if it opens there.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
You could try opening the file in Numbers if you have it, as that can read .xlsx files. I think there was a bug with Excel 2008 for Mac SP2 that could not read .xlsx files created in the Windows version of Excel, but presumably these were all created with Excel 2011, so I guess that does not apply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.