Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kryptonkid07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Houston, TX
I installed Mountain Lion a few days ago and noticed when I woke up the next morning, my computer was frozen on the screen saver.

I thought this was odd, as it has never done that before, so I checked my Screen Saver settings and then went over to Energy saver.

I have my settings as follows:

Computer sleep - 20 minutes

Display sleep - 5 minutes

Thought everything was fine, so I left for work. But when I returned, the computer was frozen on the screen saver again.

I set display sleep for 1 minute to test it out and after 1 minute, it didn't go to sleep... then I set my computer sleep to 1 minute as well, and it didn't go to sleep either.

I went to terminal and typed in "pmset -g" and this is what I got:

Active Profiles:
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
autorestart 1
powerbutton 1
halfdim 1
panicrestart 15
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 0
hibernatemode 0
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 5
womp 1​

I don't know what the problem is, or how to fix it.

Now I'm paranoid, cause there's a bit of image retention on the screen because of it...

I'm having to manually put the computer to sleep when I leave.

Ideas? Solutions?

Thanks in advance!

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
I haven't done any testing but noticed that my screen saver was running this morning after I put the iMac to sleep last night.

Chose :apple: -> Sleep and the screen went black and the iMac definitely went to sleep and remained that way for at least a few minutes before I went to bed yet the Screen Saver was running when I got up.

kryptonkid07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Houston, TX

Thanks, but I don't see why anything would've changed when I upgraded to Mountain Lion.

It was working fine on Lion. Never had any problems at all.

The 2nd article talks about waking up from sleep, but my iMac never goes to sleep in the first place...

and the 3rd I know is not it for sure.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
My MP is doing the same thing. I'm not sure, it might be a bug, since on my computer it happens to every screen saver.

I left my computer on last night, noticed it was still on this morning before i went to work, and at some point it must of locked up; burning the flurry image onto the Cinema Display's screen. :eek:

For a temp fix, I have the screen saver set to Never, and have the Energy Settings turned to after 15mins, put the display to sleep.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
I had issues shutting down. Ran disk utility and repaired permissions. It worked perfectly after that.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Here's a guaranteed fix:

REINSTALL LION.

Why are you hunting for a fix for a problem in a beta OS?

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I have tried to reinstall Lion, but it isn't showing the Recovery Disk I need. :(

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Do you have an 8 GB USB Flash drive?

Everyone should have one of these, and create a bootable Lion install disc from it using Disc Utility.

It's dead simple, and preferable to using Apple's HDD Recovery Partition or Internet Recovery method.

Not only is it much faster than the old DVD, but more reliable, and easier to store/carry around.

Apple was clever with their 2 new Reinstall methods, but neither of them is both CLEAN and FAST.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
My MacPro did a strange thing, It when white on display sleep.
Fortunately I use a second HDD for beta testing, which I advise everyone do.
I also recommend the flash drive. I have a 16gig one with Mac OS , Office, iLife and iWork on it.

atletasp

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
The solution is NVIDIA DRIVERS 270.00.00f01

download from nvidia site the new Nvidia Mac Driver.
Apply it !!!!!!

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Well now that this isn't in beta I am still having the problem! Works sporadically at best. Any ideas?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Well now that this isn't in beta I am still having the problem! Works sporadically at best. Any ideas?

My current laptop shipped with Lion, and after a few weeks (months? I forget) it just stopped going to sleep. A fresh install later it returned to sleep, and as I reinstalled my apps one by one it still went into sleep mode. A while after that, it stopped working again and I just left it like that after having spent two or three weeks worth of evenings trying everything I could think of.

I upgraded to ML and it started working again. A little too well actually... Now it's going to sleep even when I've got torrents downloading, or a movie being converted. Things that kept the computer awake in Lion when sleep mode was working. So now I have to manually change the sleep setting to "never sleep" if I want it to work on a conversion for instance over night...

So, a fresh install did it for me in Lion. Have you tried that? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.