PDA

View Full Version : iMessage for Mac beta showing one unread message

Capex
Feb 19, 2012, 12:39 PM
Is this bug present with anyone else? I have no current conversations but it has a "1" badge on the dock icon. I understand its beta :P but is there a fix for this?

illjazz
Feb 19, 2012, 12:42 PM
Tons of people have reported this. I have the same issue. It's a bug I'm sure will be sorted out with the next release.

Capex
Feb 19, 2012, 12:50 PM
Tons of people have reported this. I have the same issue. It's a bug I'm sure will be sorted out with the next release.

I hope so, it is pretty annoying.

geopanich
Feb 23, 2012, 12:55 PM
I have a similar issue, but on mine I get an unread count of 2 for every 1 message I receive. I'm sure it'll get ironed out in a future release.

Ccrew
Feb 23, 2012, 03:16 PM
I hope so, it is pretty annoying.

Yeah "beta" wasn't clear when you installed it... :D:D:D

onthecouchagain
Feb 24, 2012, 04:35 PM
Restarting comp fixes this in the mean time.

ideal.dreams
Feb 28, 2012, 07:30 PM
I am having the same issue, glad to find out that it's just a bug. Thanks!

musician45x
Mar 2, 2012, 11:10 AM
I am having same issue showing one unread message on iMessage for Mac. Glad to know it's only a bug. But tried the restart of computer to see if it would fix as someone posted and that did NOT work in my case. Guess I'll just wait for the bug fix...:(

boy-better-know
Mar 2, 2012, 12:02 PM
Yeah same here, glad to hear it is a common issue. It's the one bad thing with an otherwise brilliant programme. So I guess I can't complain.

Sylon
Mar 2, 2012, 09:27 PM
Its gotten so annoying that I took Messages off of my dock because that (1) would annoy the crap out of me. Its a nice app, but it needs a lot of fixing. At least its a beta, and it was really nice of Apple to let us give it a try. I use it often when Im working on my computer and don't want to keep switching to my phone to talk to someone.

jace88
Mar 4, 2012, 08:29 PM
Agreed there are a lot of very odd issues with iMessages on the Mac but hey it's a beta.

whohasaquestion
Mar 4, 2012, 09:37 PM
Well, I am not sure if iMessage is supposed to work with MSN live messenger. But I remember reading an article saying live messenger will be universally compatible with other chat clients...or it will be open source, something like that. I just tried iMessage with live messenger, no go. :(

BSQRT
Mar 6, 2012, 07:47 PM
Open Terminal:
type "killall Dock"
(without the "")

Close terminal.
This should fix the problem.

You may need to repeat this anytime the badge gets "stuck"

Good luck! Hope this helps!!

musician45x
Mar 6, 2012, 11:20 PM
Thank you BSQRT!!! That solution worked for me!!! :D:D:D

b-rad g
Mar 7, 2012, 10:10 AM
Yes, thank you BSQRT!! Worked perfectly!

But just a question, what does this command technically do?

BSQRT
Mar 8, 2012, 04:31 PM
the Command "killall Dock" ends the computer process that runs the Dock, and then restarts it.

Similar to Window's Task Manager-end process.
Glad it worked

NSquared
Mar 9, 2012, 03:00 PM
Open Terminal:
type "killall Dock"
(without the "")

Close terminal.

Worked for me as well :D Thanks BSQRT, that unread message badge was really messing with my OCD!

brayhite
Mar 12, 2012, 06:41 PM
May be dumb question, but that does end everything running, does it not?

fyrefly
Mar 18, 2012, 08:13 PM
May be dumb question, but that does end everything running, does it not?

Nope, it just restarts the Dock process, which only serves to display the dock. None of the running programs are affected.

Also, Big thanks to BSQRT as well! I've looked everywhere for a solution to this... My iMessages Dock Icon was stuck at 34 unread! ;)

DJ Hellfire
Apr 6, 2012, 05:39 PM
Open Terminal:
type "killall Dock"
(without the "")

Close terminal.

Worked great! ;)

axello
Jun 22, 2012, 04:20 AM
type "killall Dock"

Thank you! I thought it was an iMessages problem, so killed that without prevail . Apparently it's a Dock issue, which this solution solves amicably!

:)

Yochi
Jun 30, 2012, 09:15 AM
Open Terminal:
type "killall Dock"
(without the "")

Worked for me, thanks.

imahawki
Jun 30, 2012, 09:20 AM
I know I'm way late to the game, but is there still a way I can get the messages beta?

pstonier
Jul 12, 2012, 09:10 PM
Thank you BSQRT! Worked perfectly.

gurth4ng
Jul 24, 2012, 03:00 PM
I know I'm way late to the game, but is there still a way I can get the messages beta?

Here you go, official download link from Apple:
http://appldnld.apple.com/MessagesBeta/041-4274.20120216.z5km/MessagesBeta.dmg

Julien
Jul 24, 2012, 03:33 PM
Here you go, official download link from Apple:
http://appldnld.apple.com/MessagesBeta/041-4274.20120216.z5km/MessagesBeta.dmg

Message beta stopped sending for me last night. See this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1409545). Is your's still working right now? I thought that Apple may have disabled for the ML update.

Weaselboy
Jul 24, 2012, 04:09 PM
Message beta stopped sending for me last night. See this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1409545). Is your's still working right now? I thought that Apple may have disabled for the ML update.

Same here. Mine stopped sending or receiving yesterday. I assume they are killing the beta with Mountain Lion coming tomorrow.
The thing is, the uninstaller won't work either. :(

gurth4ng
Jul 25, 2012, 01:52 AM
Itís still working for me yes, just used it.

But I have to say, for the last couple of days, I have been having many problems with it, like messages sent from my Mac not appearing on my iPhone and vice versa, rare problems of notifications getting lost etc.

Kilamite
Dec 28, 2012, 10:09 AM
Even though it's well out of beta, still have this bug occasionally. Closing and reopening iMessage fixes it.

Kilamite
Mar 15, 2013, 07:00 AM
With OS X 10.8.3, this bug still exists. :mad:

shippouk
Mar 27, 2013, 03:31 AM
With OS X 10.8.3, this bug still exists. :mad:

I am finding this issue still exists too.
And sometimes even

killall Dock

doesnt work to resolve the issue either.

abruner
Sep 19, 2013, 03:07 PM
I finally had to open and close every message even old ones to get it to go away.