PDA

View Full Version : Who else HATES hot weather here?

RalfyRojas
Jun 15, 2005, 10:11 PM
Here in NJ we've had a few days with 90+ weather, and man I cannot stand it. I have to stay in my room all day with the AC or else I will start dripping from every part of my face. I have this condition called Hyperdrosis that only affects about 1% of the population(I know, lucky me :mad: ) and unfortunately it's very debilitating because of the social stigma of someone constantly dripping sweat from their face. I don't mind sweat if I'm exercising, but imagine walking to the store a block away and by the time you get there your face is drenched in sweat. Some people are worst off then me and also have it in their hands and other places, but it seems like my condition exacerbates in the summer and right now it's wreacking hell on my life. I need money to pay for my bills, and to save enough to finally move out on my own(I'm almost 20), but I can't get a damn JOB because of this disgusting disease. I've never understood the alure of moving to FL or CA just for the weather, if I had a choice I would live in Alaska! Anyone else feel the same way or are one of the "lucky" few to have to go about their lives with HH?

Xtremehkr
Jun 15, 2005, 10:12 PM
Remove the humidity and it is not so bad.

Cooknn
Jun 15, 2005, 10:17 PM
Here in NJ we've had a few days with 90+ weather, and man I cannot stand it.I live in SW Florida and today when I got in my car to grab a sandwich for lunch I thought I was gonna die. It felt like about 150. Probably was (in my car) :eek:

barneygumble
Jun 15, 2005, 10:20 PM
it's not heat that gets you it is humidity. a 40 degree celcius day is much more comfortable when it is a dry heat, a 25 degree celcius day is terrible in high humidity, thankfully it is not to bad here, nut in the tropics it is terrible

MongoTheGeek
Jun 15, 2005, 10:25 PM
Here in NJ we've had a few days with 90+ weather, and man I cannot stand it. I have to stay in my room all day with the AC or else I will start dripping from every part of my face. I have this condition called Hyperdrosis that only affects about 1% of the population(I know, lucky me :mad: ) and unfortunately it's very debilitating because of the social stigma of someone constantly dripping sweat from their face. I don't mind sweat if I'm exercising, but imagine walking to the store a block away and by the time you get there your face is drenched in sweat. Some people are worst off then me and also have it in their hands and other places, but it seems like my condition exacerbates in the summer and right now it's wreacking hell on my life. I need money to pay for my bills, and to save enough to finally move out on my own(I'm almost 20), but I can't get a damn JOB because of this disgusting disease. I've never understood the alure of moving to FL or CA just for the weather, if I had a choice I would live in Alaska! Anyone else feel the same way or are one of the "lucky" few to have to go about their lives with HH?

I don't mind it much. I sweat a lot when its hot but I cope. I prefer the cool. Somewhere between 50 and 60.

As for moving to AK right now its in the 80s in Anchorage.

RalfyRojas
Jun 15, 2005, 10:30 PM
I don't mind it much. I sweat a lot when its hot but I cope. I prefer the cool. Somewhere between 50 and 60.

As for moving to AK right now its in the 80s in Anchorage.

Well the average temp is alot cooler there. Any place where you don't get 90 degree summers would be better. Have you ever tried eating at a restaurant with sweat dripping down your face? Not the most pleasant thing you could experience...

tech4all
Jun 15, 2005, 10:31 PM
I could really do with any temperature that is common in California, Bay Area. It just depends on the activity you're doing, like if you're outside doing doing construction, 70 would be better than 90. But if you're swimming 90 might be better than 70.

But one thing for me though during the hot summer nights is sleeping. I have a hard time sleeping on warm nights. If the air condition is on, then it's ok, but if it's not, it'll take me a while to fall asleep, usually. During the Winter, the cold weather makes me sleep better, and hearing the rain pound on my window helps me sleep to. But right now the weather is crazy. It's supposed to rain tomorrow in the middle of June! :eek:

thedude110
Jun 15, 2005, 10:38 PM
Dude. I hate light. I hate summer. I hate the sun. Everyone always says "it's the humidity" and they're totally wrong. The problem with everything is the stupid sun.

I lived in Bangor, Maine for a little while and I remember that in December the sun used to start setting around 3 in the afternoon -- you could even see the beginnings of the sunset around 2:30. Those were the days.

Of course, as Frank O'Hara wrote:
"The sun doesn't always set, sometimes it just disappears."

Daveway
Jun 15, 2005, 10:41 PM
You sissies. :rolleyes:

Come down to the New Orleans area if you wanna feel what smothering heat and humidity is. Today is 98 degrees with 100% humidity. I did my excercises today by the hardest. The air is so heavy you can't breathe normaly and get warn out 75% faster.

RalfyRojas
Jun 15, 2005, 10:45 PM
I hate light too. My ex-coworker comes over sometimes and he'll joke and call me Dracula, because I don't like going out during the daytime. I cover the only window in my room with a large black garbage bag so no light seeps in. I guess I'm just naturally a night owl. When I had cable my favorite show was Insomniac with Dave Attel because of the night owl lifestyle that I wish I could have. BTW Maine sounds like my kinda place, is that located in the NorthWest? I'm planning on moving to Montana or the one of the bordering states when I get older. I hear the weather is more forgiving there.

RalfyRojas
Jun 15, 2005, 10:48 PM

Come down to the New Orleans area if you wanna feel what smothering heat and humidity is. Today is 98 degrees with 100% humidity. I did my excercises today by the hardest. The air is so heavy you can't breathe normaly and get warn out 75% faster.

Note to self: NEVER go to New Orleans. :eek:

MongoTheGeek
Jun 15, 2005, 10:52 PM
Note to self: NEVER go to New Orleans. :eek:

Most of the South East is really bad. NYC even gets pretty hideous.

noel4r
Jun 15, 2005, 10:53 PM
Sweating is good for you sometimes...

biohazard6969
Jun 15, 2005, 10:57 PM
toronto summers are the worst, they're so goddam humid, everything sticks to everything. worst experience ever. and that last couple weeks we've had rele hot temps for this time of year, around low 30 C which is high 80's low 90's F, but it feels like above 40 with the humidity. lucky for me i have a pool :D

mad jew
Jun 15, 2005, 10:58 PM

Yeah, it gets rid of toxins.

Happy times! :)

We're moving into winter here and to be honest, I love having the seasons. I'm glad we get warmish summers (tops out at about 40C) and coolish winters (bottoms out at about 10C).

Mr. Anderson
Jun 15, 2005, 11:02 PM
I sweat when its hot out or I'm active - more than most, in general, I think. But the heat doesn't bother me.

Alaska is great - and you might get a few warm days in the cities, but it cools down at night. Summer is quite nice and for some reason, 80 in Anchorage doesn't feel like 80 in the lower 48....

D

runninmac
Jun 15, 2005, 11:06 PM
Michigan Sucks to the weather is so unpreidcatable. For the past 2 weeks it has been 90 just about everyday, mabey 1 or 2 in the 80s, but still hot becuase of the humidity but not that bad untill my I started my 2 cross country practices a day in the morning and at night, by then your shorts feel like you went and jumped in water it is nasty. Luckily today wasnt bad it went down to 60(? :D ) and I was happy.

I to hate the sun light. I put giant towels over my bedroom windows to keep all the suns light out. I just cant stand it. I love the cloudy rainy days my parents think im screwed up for that.

RalfyRojas
Jun 15, 2005, 11:10 PM

Yes, SOMETIMES. Not all the time, literally. I don't mind sweating up a storm if I'm working out, it's just not what I want to be doing if I'm talking to people outside of an AC environment. I had to quit my warehouse job because of excessive sweating...and this was in the winter! Just imagine what I had coming once summer came around.(They don't have AC there)

Daveway
Jun 15, 2005, 11:27 PM
I had to quit my warehouse job because of excessive sweating...and this was in the winter! Just imagine what I had coming once summer came around.(They don't have AC there)

I do believe this is a first.

Note:
heat + humidity + wind factor = heat index

Today's heat index in New Orleans.....112 degrees :eek:

MacAztec
Jun 15, 2005, 11:33 PM
Today's heat here in Palm Springs, California was 112 degrees. That is without the heat index.

We were playing football in our stadium today, and there was literally NO breeze at all. It was humid also, and the grass was JUST cut, so it smelt of dead grass.

It was probably about 125 degrees (including the factors).

Death

Daveway
Jun 15, 2005, 11:40 PM
Death

Polar Ice Caps?

MacAztec
Jun 15, 2005, 11:48 PM
Polar Ice Caps?

You mean they are going to melt? Or that it is really cold there...

I don't believe in the Global Warming. Sure, the Earth is getting hotter, but I believe it is just one of the stages that the Earth is going through, it does this every couple hundred thousand years or so.

Duff-Man
Jun 15, 2005, 11:59 PM
Duff-Man says...I lived in Toronto for many years and *hated* the hot and humid summers...and I dread it when I have to travel there (or, more frequently, Ottawa) during that time of year. Actually, I hate it there in the winter too when it is freezing cold. As far as I am concerned there is usually only 2 months or so of nice climate in that part of the country - May and September (give or take a week or two around there). Out here in Victoria the summer is sunny, warm but not too warm - even when we get that week where the temperature gets up over 80 there is little humidity and it cools off most nights...very very nice and much more to my liking....oh yeah!

RalfyRojas
I do believe this is a first.

Yes, I'm an incredibly lucky person.

Did I mention that Hyperhidrosis goes well with Social Anxiety Disorder and chronic depression? :(

Macaddicttt
I used to live in Atlanta. Boy, those summers were pretty bad. Now I'm in nice, cool San Diego. Ahh...America's Finest City... :cool:

Chip NoVaMac
Depends. If it is to work and live day to day, the heat is bad. But for other things I love it sweaty.... :D

Daveway
Jun 16, 2005, 12:17 AM
But for other things I love it sweaty.... :D

hmmm.........*pauses*......I would have to.......disagree. :p

yg17
Jun 16, 2005, 12:25 AM
I hate heat. Then again, I don't like freezing cold either. Its either get into the car, burn my ass on the seats and be unable to steer because the steering wheel is so hot, or stand outside in below zero temps with an ice scraper and the defroster on full blast so I can clear off enough of the window for me to see where I'm going. I would be more than happy with 60 degrees every day of the year.

brap
Jun 16, 2005, 12:41 AM
Yes. Like another poster, I hate both heat and excessive light. I also have an acute phobia of sunburn, so our holidays in hot countries are a struggle at best.

After G
Jun 16, 2005, 01:05 AM
Dry heat doesn't bother me. It's when it gets humid that I start to suffer.
That being said, I like the cold more than the heat, as it feels better to try and warm up than to try and cool down.

MattG
Jun 16, 2005, 01:53 AM
I hate it. I'd much rather live where there's cold and snow. Hopefully just a few more years and I'll be out of FL.

bartelby
Jun 16, 2005, 02:31 AM
I'm not sure.
If it ever gets hot over here I'll let you know!!!

Giaguara
Jun 16, 2005, 02:38 AM
welcome to ireland then.

while i was in austin, just 2 or 3 weeks ago, the day i left it was 96 f .. a niiiice sun and perfect weather out. when i got here.. like 46 f.

and now its 59 f.

if you really dont like hot weather, come to ireland, even in days when it's sunny and hte nicest weather out, it never gets to past 90 .. even 90 would happen max 2 x a year.

Counterfit
Jun 16, 2005, 02:39 AM
I <3 snow. ESPECIALLY driving in it. Of course, spring and fall are nice too (except for those damned tourists on "New England Foliage" tours :mad: ) I think I'll live in the White Mountains, or near them, if I can.

absolut_mac
Jun 16, 2005, 02:43 AM
Who else HATES hot weather here?

I'm not crazy about exceptionally hot weather - 95F and higher - but the dry desert heat of Palm Springs or Vegas is a lot easieir to endure than the combination of very hot weather AND high humidity.

The worst IMHO is when we have the aforementioned conditions here in Los Angeles combined with bad smog. Now that is a real nast combination.

redeye be
Jun 16, 2005, 04:11 AM
I prefer winter mountains over summer beach any day.

I do work up a sweat quite easily (allthough i don't have any sweat conditions, you have my sympathy RalfyRojas). I hate it when i sweat doing nothing. While working out it's ok, allthough i would prefer it being less. I'm like a wet t-shirt contest after 5 minutes of sports, no boobs though, just a big hairy chest and belly :p.
10-15C is ok for me. More is overkill and enjoyable only for a short period of time.
Thank god the weather here sucks for sunlovers (most of the time, sometimes they get spoiled though, like today and the next days).

Sweating is your skin taking a piss.

Jaffa Cake
Jun 16, 2005, 04:18 AM
I really don't like hot weather. It's forecast temperatures of 26/27C here over the weekend, which I am looking forward to immensely.

dubbz
Jun 16, 2005, 06:27 AM
I love Heat and Light (except if I'm trying to watch a movie :p)! But that might be because the norm here is Cold and Dark.

latergator116
Jun 16, 2005, 06:46 AM
I also hate the heat and humdity. Tuesday it was 95 degrees and I had to be in school all day without a/c. And since the school was built to have a/c installed (guess they ran out of money) there are hardly any windows that open. Luckily, the next day the temperature dropped down to 60 and the humidity went away. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Hoef
Jun 16, 2005, 08:01 AM
Just moved to Houston .... stay away, its the heat, the heat... :mad:

StarbucksSam
Jun 16, 2005, 08:20 AM
I only really don't like it when I have to be outside or in a non-air-conditioned space. For instance, my old school, which I just finished at, had no a/c and it was brutal in the classrooms. When it was 94 outside it would be about 100 in the classrooms. So much for learning.

I took my exams on Tuesday and Wednesday in hundred degree rooms.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 16, 2005, 08:26 AM
I hate heat intensely. I function best in 15-20C (59-68F) but if it gets much over 25C (77F) I start sweating and the body just will not work properly, and I just want to be at home in the breeze of my 30 cm (12") bladed table fan... ;)

Have not needed the fan so far this summer, though. The temperature here in Bergen has been 5 (!) - 15C (41F - 59C) with only two days just over 15C an none over 20C. So it's actually been too cold even for a heat hater (:p) like me... :(

calyxman
Jun 16, 2005, 08:31 AM
It's not the heat, it's the humidity. Arizona has higher temperatures than florida, but in florida you feel like a boiled hot dog once you step outside.

That's why I like winter. Especially in florida, as we only deal with the cold temperature and not the snow. :D

evilernie
Jun 16, 2005, 08:37 AM
I grew up in NJ and it's not as bad as the DC area where I'm at now. It's weird how a couple hundred miles can make a difference, but it does.

The fact that DC was built on a friggin swamp doesn't help either. Damn humidity... :mad:

emw
Jun 16, 2005, 09:02 AM
I love the heat. I've been pleased with Chicago's recent run of warm temperatures, and can't wait for it to pick up again next week.

I hate winter.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 16, 2005, 09:23 AM
The fact that DC was built on a friggin swamp doesn't help either. Damn humidity... :mad:

I was in DC for 11 years, having just moved away last year - and I have to say I don't miss the summers. Its no wonder that the Congress takes the whole month of August off.....

When we would play ultimate at lunch, I would bring out 10 gallons of water and one of those hydrostatic squirt guns that would shoot a liter of water in 1 sec. to shoot at the players as we ran up and down the field. On the hot days, we wouldn't have any water left. We didn't have to worry about sweating there - everyone was soaked. :D

D

evilernie
Jun 16, 2005, 09:57 AM
I was in DC for 11 years, having just moved away last year - and I have to say I don't miss the summers. Its no wonder that the Congress takes the whole month of August off.....

We do get some wicked cool thunderstorms though. :cool:

OnceUGoMac
Jun 16, 2005, 10:47 AM
I see that RalfyRojas is banned. I wonder what happenned? :confused:

yellow
Jun 16, 2005, 10:56 AM
I'm a New Englander by birth, and consequently, after 15 years in North Carolina, I still cannot cope with the heat and humidiy (doesn't help that I've gained major weight in the last couple years).

I want to move to Vermont. :)

scem0
Jun 16, 2005, 11:25 AM
Here in NJ we've had a few days with 90+ weather, and man I cannot stand it. I have to stay in my room all day with the AC or else I will start dripping from every part of my face.

Man, come down to Texas and experience some real heat. Nah, its not that much hotter in Texas right now, but those days will come :o. I, too, can't stand the heat. I am inside all day anyways so it doesn't really matter. However, my sister loves the heat for some reason. She drives with the windows down, and she is encouraging my family to turn off the AC in the house. I just don't understand! It's burning hot out there! What is wrong with her?! Oh well, there is no way the AC is going off - fortunately she is the only freak in my house ;).

scem0

leekohler
Jun 16, 2005, 12:25 PM

Never in a million years my friend. I hate summer. Give me winter- you can always put on more clothes.

MacNut
Jun 16, 2005, 12:48 PM
Im freezing here in the Northeast again after a nice hot streak in the 90's it cooled off quick back into the 60's, I want my heat back.

MacNut
Jun 16, 2005, 12:53 PM
Never in a million years my friend. I hate summer. Give me winter- you can always put on more clothes.I disagree, there are only so many layers you can put on and still be able to move. Atleast in the summer you can wear less and go into a pool or a/c to cool off. I guess I'm a beach bum at heart tho. :)

ToddW
Jun 16, 2005, 01:50 PM
Man, come down to Texas and experience some real heat. Nah, its not that much hotter in Texas right now, but those days will come :o. I, too, can't stand the heat. I am inside all day anyways so it doesn't really matter. However, my sister loves the heat for some reason. She drives with the windows down, and she is encouraging my family to turn off the AC in the house. I just don't understand! It's burning hot out there! What is wrong with her?! Oh well, there is no way the AC is going off - fortunately she is the only freak in my house ;).

scem0

damn i know, last year i had to go to austin, two to sometimes three days a week on business during august. some days i would sweat all the way from DFW to austin. another red zone here in the metroplex today though. gotta love that smog :(

rainman::|:|
Jun 16, 2005, 01:51 PM
love it, love it love it :) i mean, it's a drag when you have to wear heavy/uncomfortable work clothes, but give me a cotton tshirt and shorts, and i'm comfortable in a sauna (so describes iowa in august). it's the other way I can't stand... Cold, snowy, isolated.

That is, when I'm up and doing stuff. If I'm sitting around, or trying to sleep, I quite enjoy A/C.

Giaguara
Jun 16, 2005, 01:58 PM
I hate heat intensely. I function best in 15-20C (59-68F) but if it gets much over 25C (77F) I start sweating and the body just will not work properly, and I just want to be at home in the breeze of my 30 cm (12") bladed table fan... ;)

Have not needed the fan so far this summer, though. The temperature here in Bergen has been 5 (!) - 15C (41F - 59C) with only two days just over 15C an none over 20C. So it's actually been too cold even for a heat hater (:p) like me... :(

When in summer it's below 25 C I start to bitch that it's cold instead.. I guess we are not made for the same climate. ;)

stcanard
Jun 16, 2005, 02:23 PM

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks 25C is too hot! My ideal is in the same range as you too :) (In the winter my thermostat is set to 17C =~ 60F)

Fortunately here in Vancouver, like Duff Man in Victoria, it cools down to a nice reasonable temperature at night. Usually we get a couple weeks a year where it won't go below 20C, and I stop being able to sleep and just feel sick and tired for the whole time.

Lets just say I don't plan on moving to California anytime soon. I remember my last trip to San Diego, it was a nice comfortable 45-60F the time I was down there, I was in heaven in shorts, and couldn't believe the locals wandering around wearing sweaters and shivering.

Guitarius
Jun 16, 2005, 05:14 PM
Yep. Louisiana's a giant armpit. It's hot. It's humid. It's just plain ******. I need to get out of this God forsaken Hell hole. It's so damn hot. And the rain. All it does is rain. It's raining right now. And it isn't cooling rain. It's hot rain. You put a pot out and collect some rain water, and make yourself some pasta. That's how ****** the rain is. And there's no wind. No breeze. Just still, hot, stagnent air. I hate the climate of this place. I hate it with every fiber of my being.

I had to mow the lawn yesterday. I think I had five heat strokes.

leekohler
Jun 16, 2005, 05:32 PM
I disagree, there are only so many layers you can put on and still be able to move. Atleast in the summer you can wear less and go into a pool or a/c to cool off. I guess I'm a beach bum at heart tho. :)

Yes, but I hate swimming. And there's only so much you can legally take off in public. :)

Stampyhead
Jun 16, 2005, 06:34 PM
I usually complain about our summers here in the Phoenix area where the temperature can surpass 115 F, but I almost think the heat+humidity is worse. I can remember hot summers in Cleveland, Chicago, Montreal, and other easterly places where I have lived and I certainly remember suffering a great deal more than I do here. In general I just prefer the colder seasons. I can take cold and snow over intense heat any day.

Guitarius
Jun 16, 2005, 06:37 PM
I usually complain about our summers here in the Phoenix area where the temperature can surpass 115 F, but I almost think the heat+humidity is worse. I can remember hot summers in Cleveland, Chicago, Montreal, and other easterly places where I have lived and I certainly remember suffering a great deal more than I do here. In general I just prefer the colder seasons. I can take cold and snow over intense heat any day.
Yeah. I lived in Texas for about 4 years. The summers there would get up in the triple digits as well, but it was never brutal like it is here in Louisiana. It may only be 95, but the humidity makes it feel a lot worse. And on top of all that, we have a thunderstorm raging outside.

FoxyKaye
Jun 16, 2005, 06:56 PM
Hate the hot, love the cold... BUT, Northern California has made me completely soft.

Growing up in NH, I thought the summers would never end: high heat, high humidity. Actually, it was better climate that first got me interested in moving to the Bay Area when I was in high school. I used to love the winters, I thought it was so exciting when the temps would drop below zero, quiet snow all around. Beautiful.

Now that I've been in the Bay Area for 6 years, anything outside of the 40-75 degree Farenheight range and I'm squirming.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 16, 2005, 06:58 PM
When in summer it's below 25 C I start to bitch that it's cold instead.. I guess we are not made for the same climate. ;)I guess not... it probably also has something to do with what you're used to. There's usually just one or two days every third or fourth year when temperatures in here in Bergen just barely manages to exceed 30C (86F). ;)
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks 25C is too hot! My ideal is in the same range as you too :) (In the winter my thermostat is set to 17C =~ 60F)

Fortunately here in Vancouver, like Duff Man in Victoria, it cools down to a nice reasonable temperature at night. Usually we get a couple weeks a year where it won't go below 20C, and I stop being able to sleep and just feel sick and tired for the whole time.

Lets just say I don't plan on moving to California anytime soon. I remember my last trip to San Diego, it was a nice comfortable 45-60F the time I was down there, I was in heaven in shorts, and couldn't believe the locals wandering around wearing sweaters and shivering.Well, I have to keep the indoor temperature at ~22C, or else my girfriend starts complaining... :rolleyes: it's a daily struggle... ;)

I think the climate in Vancouver and Bergen are quite similar. Temperate climate and more than a fair share of rain... ;) But I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've no intention of moving down to the the Mediterranean and the sun and heat... I prefer the rain... :cool:

Sun Baked
Jun 16, 2005, 07:16 PM
It's not hot, it's not even approaching the teens...

113-119

Check back later when it finally gets hot.

Doctor Q
Jun 16, 2005, 07:27 PM
Today's heat here in Palm Springs, California was 112 degrees. That is without the heat index.I was in Palm Desert yesterday, but was smart enough to stay indoors until evening. It was HOT, but not as hot there as last week.

It was refreshing to get back to Los Angeles and wander around near the Santa Monica Apple Store today in the middle of the day without roasting. Now if we could just take care of the other problems here: smog, traffic, earthquakes, mudslides, freeway car chases, and having to trip over Hollywood movie stars and Apple Stores wherever we go...

Dagless
Jun 16, 2005, 07:37 PM
i hate the heat too. funny, im looking forward to me and my girlfriend going Spain in july too. costa del sol, in July. hah! im gonna faint or something. going to my mums flat, which i'm to be given when she gets older. and not to forget the new house my parents are building in Poland, which ill probably inherit because im the sensible one! im stuck in a family of sun-addicts!

the heat just makes me too tired. back when i did skateboarding, i was on holiday in Poland and i just couldnt do a thing unless i was moving fast and the wind cooled me down. which led to some funny accidents :D

i would LOVE to move to Norway though. i just feel some connection there. same with Scotland!

Inspector Lee
Jun 16, 2005, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I hate the heat too. Ideal daytime temp for me is low sixties with an evening temp in the upper 40s. It is sweatshirt weather and also great "sack weather" as in I get the best sleeps with the windows cracked and a cool wind coming in.

But my girlfriend is the exact opposite. Gets cold when the temp drops below 70.

ravenvii
Jun 16, 2005, 08:21 PM
Yep I hate the heat too. The first few posters are 100% right; it's the humidity that gets me the most. The AC is a absolute godsend as far as I'm concerned. My ideal temperature? The middle 40's to lower 50's. Nice and chilly! Just the way I love it!

I'm a Sun-hater too. If anyone decides to nickname me Dracula, I'd tell them he's likely a distant relative.

jimsowden
Jun 16, 2005, 08:25 PM
I deem this the official "I'm a nerd" thread. I love summer, going swimming and hanging out doors. Sure it's hot, but that won't relegate me to my mom's basement with all the lights off and the A/C on full blast. It just means I'll put the top down. :)

wdlove
Jun 16, 2005, 09:23 PM
Im freezing here in the Northeast again after a nice hot streak in the 90's it cooled off quick back into the 60's, I want my heat back.

I happen to be enjoying our current weather. Normal for this time of year is 77, a perfect 10 day is in the 70's, sunny with low humidity. It's the humidity that's a killer. The Dew Point is the best gage the 50's are comfortable, low 60's a bit humid, and the upper 60's are humid. When the temperature earlier this week was 90 the Dew point was 69 - 71 which is oppressive. Just plain miserable.

When the humidity is oppressive even A/C doesn't completely control the problem. Its much easier to be comfortable when it's cold, just put on some clothes. I'm think that my kind of weather will be back full time now in less than four months. So I enjoy each and every day like we are having now.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 16, 2005, 09:32 PM
I deem this the official "I'm a nerd" thread. I love summer, going swimming and hanging out doors. Sure it's hot, but that won't relegate me to my mom's basement with all the lights off and the A/C on full blast. It just means I'll put the top down. :)

I think I'm with you on this one - I wait for the rainy days to stay inside - I'd rather be outside doing something if given the chance. And now that the lake is warm and comfortable for swimming, I look forward to getting out in water regularly....

D

mac 2005
Jun 16, 2005, 09:53 PM
The great thing about Chicago is that it's not too hot or too humid for long.

The bad thing about Chicago is that it's not too hot longer. Brrr!

puckhead193
Jun 16, 2005, 10:13 PM
I'm not a fan of very hot weather, nothing over 80, and whats funny is that i'm going to be camp counselor this summer, which means i'm outside from 8-5

stcanard
Jun 16, 2005, 10:17 PM
Well, I have to keep the indoor temperature at ~22C, or else my girfriend starts complaining... :rolleyes: it's a daily struggle... ;)

I'm lucky, my wife actually seems to like the house colder than I do :)

I think the climate in Vancouver and Bergen are quite similar. Temperate climate and more than a fair share of rain... ;) But I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've no intention of moving down to the the Mediterranean and the sun and heat... I prefer the rain... :cool:

Yup, I think so. Its perfect, its never too hot to do something (or at most a couple of days a year) and once you get used to the rain it doesn't slow you down at all :)

Nanda Devi
Jun 16, 2005, 10:30 PM
I actually like it warm, especially dry desert heat. But I also like snow and I love the mountains, where it's usually pretty brisk year-round.

The thing I hate most about really hot, humid weather is air conditioning. I mean, you can't go without it, but it makes me absolutely freezing cold. I despise having artificially cooled air blowing on me. Makes me much colder than standing outside in cold weather for some reason....

leekohler
Jun 17, 2005, 03:49 PM
The great thing about Chicago is that it's not too hot or too humid for long.

The bad thing about Chicago is that it's not too hot longer. Brrr!

Hey now- I moved here because it's cold! :)

iDeclare
Jun 17, 2005, 04:18 PM
I used to live in Atlanta. Boy, those summers were pretty bad. Now I'm in nice, cool San Diego. Ahh...America's Finest City... :cool:

It was about 90 degrees (sans heat index) in Atlanta today...you know it's hot when you walk outside and you think, "my, I don't remember my as* being so wet..." :eek:

As for my dad, he lives in Las Vegas. His favorite remark it, "Well, it'd dry heat so you don't even sweat." BS. At least when you sweat, you know you are slowly dying. In Vegas, it's like walking around with a blowdryer in your face and then you just pass out and die without any worning from your pores. :p

noaccess
Jun 17, 2005, 06:41 PM
79 f here, and the high humidity makes it a lot worse. Plus, I have hyperhidrosis, and after 20 mins. of walking outside wearing so much as a t-shirt I'm drippin'. Otherwise I actually like warm weather.

Toreador93
Jun 17, 2005, 07:17 PM
I hate light too. My ex-coworker comes over sometimes and he'll joke and call me Dracula, because I don't like going out during the daytime. I cover the only window in my room with a large black garbage bag so no light seeps in. I guess I'm just naturally a night owl...

I probably couldn't count how many times I've said "Damn the sun!" (and then I'm reminded of Mr. Burns from the Simpsons). I know it's good for stuff...but I don't particularly care for it. I've also been called a vampire on numerous occasions. I'm usually the last to go to bed, and the last to wake up. I can easily sleep 12 to 14 hours (then stay awake for about 20). I've made it up to 3 complete days without seeing the sun. I currently live in the basement, and when I don't have to get up, I cover the only small window in my room, and never know what time it is :)

Anyway, I hate heat. I'm a furnace anyway. I probably got that way from living in the basement for most of highschool - my grandparents always liked to keep the house around 68, so the basement would always be about 10F cooler. If it's above 50F, I can't wear long sleeves, or I'll probably die.

Humidity does play a large factor; I'm okay in 75F weather in California, but 50 or 60 is much better.

I think I'd like to live in Canada or Sweden someday :D

Sun Baked
Jun 18, 2005, 10:33 PM
Here you go...

America's Sweatiest Cities (http://www.wftv.com/health/4619160/detail.html)

In you aren't in the Top 10 -- stop complaining -- because my member name is a reaction to being in a city in the top 10 year in and year out.

fitinferno
Jun 19, 2005, 11:16 AM
Hey now- I moved here because it's cold! :)

Good choice on that :)

I used to live in Chicago...and now I'm in London...and when it's hot here I just dream of the days when I can get out and lounge in the snow again and be nice and cold!

law guy
Jun 19, 2005, 11:52 AM
Here you go...

In you aren't in the Top 10 -- stop complaining -- because my member name is a reaction to being in a city in the top 10 year in and year out.

The top ten seems to strict a limit to cap the complaining. Top 50 perhaps?

Guitarius
Jun 19, 2005, 01:31 PM
I'm around 3 in the top 25 (They wouldn't have mine, cause I live in a small town).

MacAztec
Jun 19, 2005, 01:44 PM
Odd that they don't have Palm SPrings, CA on the list. It is as hot as Phoenix all the time. Next week it will be 108-111 degrees, today just 104.

poundsmack
Jun 19, 2005, 02:34 PM
"since the dawn of time man has yernd to destroy the sun....i will be the one to do it"

fitinferno
Jun 19, 2005, 02:52 PM
"since the dawn of time man has yernd to destroy the sun....i will be the one to do it"

That might be a lttl bit drastic...I do like being able to eat :P

Tech^salvager
Jun 19, 2005, 02:55 PM
Here you go...

complain, moan, whine about heat and humidity, meh I've gotten used to it. Still hate days when the humidity is way high. Once you walk straight out the house its like walking into a web of stickiness. Then the heat gets ya too.

wdlove
Jun 19, 2005, 07:29 PM
complain, moan, whine about heat and humidity, meh I've gotten used to it. Still hate days when the humidity is way high. Once you walk straight out the house its like walking into a web of stickiness. Then the heat gets ya too.

I always thought of Texas as having dry heat. What Dew Point temperatures occur in your area? The 50's are considered comfortable, low 60's a bit humid, upper 60's humid, and 70 + is oppressive.