PDA

View Full Version : Loving AirPlay!

BFW122083
Feb 19, 2012, 07:57 PM
Right now I'm streaming a HD flash ppv from my air to my 60". Sweetness.

Tortri
Feb 19, 2012, 07:59 PM
I can't wait for 5.1 to come out for my ATV to give this a try. Everything streaming good? video and audio?

BFW122083
Feb 19, 2012, 08:03 PM
I can't wait for 5.1 to come out for my ATV to give this a try. Everything streaming good? video and audio?

Sure is. It's like the last piece of the puzzle for AirPlay. It's been going for an hour with no problems at all. Hopefully that rumored 1080p apple tv comes out soon!

JohnDoe98
Feb 19, 2012, 08:11 PM
Sure is. It's like the last piece of the puzzle for AirPlay. It's been going for an hour with no problems at all. Hopefully that rumored 1080p apple tv comes out soon!

What's the quality look like? What kind of mac do you have?

BFW122083
Feb 19, 2012, 08:21 PM
What's the quality look like? What kind of mac do you have?

Quality looks and sounds great. I have a 2011 13" Air. Heres some pics, and yes im watching a wrestling ppv lol.

sea stobble
Feb 19, 2012, 08:39 PM
I tried it last night with ATV 5.1b2 and the video streamed fine, however all audio was mucked. 2011 15" 2.2 Ghz i7.

BFW122083
Feb 19, 2012, 08:42 PM
I tried it last night with ATV 5.1b2 and the video streamed fine, however all audio was mucked. 2011 15" 2.2 Ghz i7.

I wonder why? Mines been streaming fine.

gloryunited
Feb 21, 2012, 02:17 AM
Any hope for it working on the 2010 MacBook Air (with Core 2 Duo CPU)?

If not, I have to stick with either

(A) Handbrake and iTunes, or

(B) AirVideo server, and AirPlay Mirroring via iPhone :(

keith4594
Feb 21, 2012, 03:50 AM

hey i just installed the beta just now and i click the airplay button on my mac and it flahsed blue for a second and then back to black any suggestions

fanta
Feb 26, 2012, 04:27 AM
are there any noticable delays in video output or sound?

The General
Feb 26, 2012, 01:11 PM
There is about 100ms of latency it seems. Just like AirPlay screen mirroring for iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. The sound and video are perfectly synced on the TV, but the computer displays stuff slighting ahead of time. It probably isn't possible right now to make it zero latency.

BFW122083
Feb 26, 2012, 05:21 PM
hey i just installed the beta just now and i click the airplay button on my mac and it flahsed blue for a second and then back to black any suggestions

Did you install the AppleTV beta too? You have to have that for mirroring to work.

JUiCEJamie
Feb 26, 2012, 05:22 PM
Quality looks and sounds great. I have a 2011 13" Air. Heres some pics, and yes im watching a wrestling ppv lol.

Looks AWESOME!

Jerezanito
Mar 4, 2012, 10:34 PM

I have a cuestione in the future when is for all public the new os x if you can airplay all in your screen to your hdtv how about if you have a VLC player with HD video with DTS audio or 5.1 do you think the all audio be ready to pass into apple tv to your home teather without a problems because rigth now apple tv play audio from iTunes but is AC3 audio and no problem with the home teather for 5.1 audio.. but with this new os x with the airplay no need more iTunes thank you...

tarasis
Mar 5, 2012, 03:44 AM

Didn't realize it was enabled in this build. I've not seen any sign of it on my Mid 2009 13" MBP

AdvocateUK
Mar 5, 2012, 07:02 PM
I'm running my ATV2 on the latest (non-beta) build, and have it JB'd to run Plex.

BUT, I'm really eager to try the Airplay mirroring from Mountain Lion to the ATV, the only thing that has stopped me so far is that I have no idea whether Airplay passes 5.1 audio to the ATV.

If it does then I could upgrade to the latest beta software for the ATV without worrying about needing to JB it for Plex (as I could just run Plex on my MBA and Airplay it to the ATV) but if it doesn't then I really don't want to lose my lovely movie collection with 5.1 audio.

Can anyone tell me if 5.1 audio is passed over Airplay?

Thanks in advance.

Of course, all this may be moot if Apple launch an ATV3 in two days time as I'll definitely be ordering one along with my iPad 3 lol

zin
Mar 6, 2012, 11:07 AM
Are there specific system requirements for AirPlay in Mountain Lion?

AdrianK
Mar 6, 2012, 11:20 AM
Didn't realize it was enabled in this build. I've not seen any sign of it on my Mid 2009 13" MBP
That's because it uses some Core-i exclusive feature for h264 encoding (or so I've read).

denaliOnDubs
Mar 8, 2012, 03:17 PM
I just had a question. When using the airplay mirroring with your sandy bridge air were you able to close the laptop and use a mac keyboard/trackpad? This is such an awesome feature I can't wait until Mountain Lion...

BFW122083
Mar 8, 2012, 03:20 PM
I just had a question. When using the airplay mirroring with your sandy bridge air were you able to close the laptop and use a mac keyboard/trackpad? This is such an awesome feature I can't wait until Mountain Lion...

I actually didn't try that, but I would bet that it doesn't work. Airplay doesn't work the same way having an external monitor plugged in does. I only close the lid when its hooked up to my Thunderbolt Display :)

AdvocateUK
Mar 9, 2012, 08:26 AM
When I mirror my MBA to my ATV2 it doesn't completely fill the screen, I have black borders around the whole image. Is this because the MBA screen is 16:10 while my TV is 16:9?

No matter what options I choose I still have the black borders, it's driving me nuts!

upsguy27
Mar 9, 2012, 09:40 AM
When I mirror my MBA to my ATV2 it doesn't completely fill the screen, I have black borders around the whole image. Is this because the MBA screen is 16:10 while my TV is 16:9?

No matter what options I choose I still have the black borders, it's driving me nuts!

I have the black borders too. It must be a bug with this build of 10.8, because I can't imagine that being in the final build.

I wonder if Apple will enable 1080p airplay mirroring with ATV 3?

----------

It's in the latest ATV build. If you go into the settings in OS X, you can see a sign of it under the display settings.

I love mirroring, however, I tried to watch a movie and though it was fine for the first 15 or so minutes, after a while it started freezing and lagging until it was unwatchable. Not sure if it was my internet or the mirroring of a 720p movie.

Takuro
Mar 9, 2012, 12:12 PM
I wonder if Apple will enable 1080p airplay mirroring with ATV 3?

Unfortunately, it's sort of up in the air (no pun intended.) The new iPad that was announced this past Wednesday states in the specs that AirPlay mirroring is limited to 720p, despite the fact that you can use AirPlay *video* streaming at 1080p.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Supports:
- AirPlay Mirroring to Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) at 720p
- AirPlay video streaming to Apple TV (3rd generation) at up to 1080p and Apple TV (2nd generation) at up to 720p

Although this might just indicate that the new iPad doesn't have the processing capacity to simultaneously render its own screen image while transcoding on the fly to an Apple TV. A Mac might perform better. The bottom line is that if the Apple TV allows 1080p streaming, it provides enough overhead that the ultimate bottleneck would be the horsepower of whatever the video originates from.

denaliOnDubs
Mar 10, 2012, 12:36 AM
I have been thinking of purchasing the Thunderbolt Display. I have an external monitor now that I use via hdmi but the experience would be greatly improved.

I actually didn't try that, but I would bet that it doesn't work. Airplay doesn't work the same way having an external monitor plugged in does. I only close the lid when its hooked up to my Thunderbolt Display :)

BFW122083
Mar 10, 2012, 08:26 AM
I have been thinking of purchasing the Thunderbolt Display. I have an external monitor now that I use via hdmi but the experience would be greatly improved.

Go for it! I tried a Samsung monitor for a week but couldn't get the thunderbolt out of my head. You won't regret it, that thing is awesome.

basesloaded190
Mar 11, 2012, 03:01 PM
I think this along with the new Apple TV, Netflix and Hulu Plus = Me finally cutting out cable. You can watch ESPN most of the time online, and other sports there is the HD Antenna. Saving over $700 sounds amazing

denaliOnDubs
Mar 11, 2012, 03:16 PM
The resolution looks awesome. I need to go see one in person. I looked at buying one once online, but I thought the cost was too high. But when looking at monitors with similar resolutions I see it's actually pretty reasonably priced in comparison. I'll definitely check into it.
Go for it! I tried a Samsung monitor for a week but couldn't get the thunderbolt out of my head. You won't regret it, that thing is awesome.

Jamie0003
Mar 14, 2012, 08:23 PM
I would love to know whether airplay mirroring allows you to send video from for example a youtube video, the same way it does in iOS? (not mirroring, directly streaming the video) and can you do extended desktop mode with it?

fattire357
Mar 15, 2012, 09:48 PM
There is about 100ms of latency it seems. Just like AirPlay screen mirroring for iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. The sound and video are perfectly synced on the TV, but the computer displays stuff slighting ahead of time. It probably isn't possible right now to make it zero latency.

This is probably all I care about - that they are synced. Is the framerate good? Can i watch mission impossible (or another action movie)?

Lara F
Mar 16, 2012, 05:16 PM
Question - there must be someone with the ML preview who upgraded their ATV2 to ATV3. Any difference in quality of the mirroring due to the upgraded processor? My TV's 720p only, so this is about the only possible difference for me. Thanks!

RamGuy
Mar 16, 2012, 08:31 PM
Does anyone know whether AirPlay will actually work "both ways"? I for one have no need for any Apple TV under my television as I've already gotten myself a Mac Mini 2011 model acting as both HTPC and media-server as the Apple TV2 was simply to limited in features to do all the things I wanted.

I highly doubt I'm the only one whom have gone by this route, which leads to the simple question of whether Mountain Lion will bring the possibility for people like me to run AirPlay from my iOS devices and other Macs running Mountain Lion to my Mac Mini running Mountain Lion which are hooked up to my home theatre?

Or do we have a case of "you'll have to buy yourself a Apple TV3 if you want AirPlay, even though your Mac Mini should be more than capable of doing so but we won't let you."

GubbyMan
Mar 18, 2012, 07:17 AM
Question - there must be someone with the ML preview who upgraded their ATV2 to ATV3. Any difference in quality of the mirroring due to the upgraded processor? My TV's 720p only, so this is about the only possible difference for me. Thanks!

Anyone there who could tell us? I wonder about this too but no one seems to care to answer... Is 1080p mirroring working on Mountain Lion now? Is it still 720p? Any difference?

tkermit
Mar 18, 2012, 09:35 AM
whether Mountain Lion will bring the possibility for people like me to run AirPlay from my iOS devices and other Macs running Mountain Lion to my Mac Mini running Mountain Lion which are hooked up to my home theatre?

No need to wait for Mountain Lion (and I don't think it will even include that functionality), just get the AirServer (http://www.airserverapp.com/) app. :)

AirServer for Mac transforms your Mac into an Apple TV-like AirPlay/AirTunes receiver. It does not require that you jailbreak your iOS devices.

sanke1
Mar 18, 2012, 01:13 PM
I avoid this Airplay nonsense by using a mini display port to HDMI cable from ebay. The HDMI cable feeds the Onkyo receiver and another HDMI from receiver to 46" TV. I use Movist app found on Mac app store and audio is set to SDPIF/HDMI bitstream for my Onkyo to decode.

There you go. True 5.1 sounds on any files like mkv, m2ts files without worrying about compatibility or wireless bandwidth issues.

shoota
Apr 5, 2012, 06:01 PM
On the Airplay Wiki it says you need a second-gen core iX cpu to run Airplay. Can anyone confirm this as true? It's looking bleaker and bleaker for my 2009 MBP :(

shoota
Apr 9, 2012, 12:54 PM
On the Airplay Wiki it says you need a second-gen core iX cpu to run Airplay. Can anyone confirm this as true? It's looking bleaker and bleaker for my 2009 MBP :(

bump