Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I can't wait for 5.1 to come out for my ATV to give this a try. Everything streaming good? video and audio?

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
I can't wait for 5.1 to come out for my ATV to give this a try. Everything streaming good? video and audio?

Sure is. It's like the last piece of the puzzle for AirPlay. It's been going for an hour with no problems at all. Hopefully that rumored 1080p apple tv comes out soon!

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Sure is. It's like the last piece of the puzzle for AirPlay. It's been going for an hour with no problems at all. Hopefully that rumored 1080p apple tv comes out soon!

What's the quality look like? What kind of mac do you have?

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
What's the quality look like? What kind of mac do you have?

Quality looks and sounds great. I have a 2011 13" Air. Heres some pics, and yes im watching a wrestling ppv lol.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 461
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 529

sea stobble

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
I tried it last night with ATV 5.1b2 and the video streamed fine, however all audio was mucked. 2011 15" 2.2 Ghz i7.

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
Any hope for it working on the 2010 MacBook Air (with Core 2 Duo CPU)?

If not, I have to stick with either

(A) Handbrake and iTunes, or

(B) AirVideo server, and AirPlay Mirroring via iPhone :(

keith4594

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Right now I'm streaming a HD flash ppv from my air to my 60". Sweetness.

hey i just installed the beta just now and i click the airplay button on my mac and it flahsed blue for a second and then back to black any suggestions

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
There is about 100ms of latency it seems. Just like AirPlay screen mirroring for iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. The sound and video are perfectly synced on the TV, but the computer displays stuff slighting ahead of time. It probably isn't possible right now to make it zero latency.

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
hey i just installed the beta just now and i click the airplay button on my mac and it flahsed blue for a second and then back to black any suggestions

Did you install the AppleTV beta too? You have to have that for mirroring to work.

Jerezanito

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Right now I'm streaming a HD flash ppv from my air to my 60". Sweetness.

I have a cuestione in the future when is for all public the new os x if you can airplay all in your screen to your hdtv how about if you have a VLC player with HD video with DTS audio or 5.1 do you think the all audio be ready to pass into apple tv to your home teather without a problems because rigth now apple tv play audio from iTunes but is AC3 audio and no problem with the home teather for 5.1 audio.. but with this new os x with the airplay no need more iTunes thank you...

AdvocateUK

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
Billingham, United Kingdom
I'm running my ATV2 on the latest (non-beta) build, and have it JB'd to run Plex.

BUT, I'm really eager to try the Airplay mirroring from Mountain Lion to the ATV, the only thing that has stopped me so far is that I have no idea whether Airplay passes 5.1 audio to the ATV.

If it does then I could upgrade to the latest beta software for the ATV without worrying about needing to JB it for Plex (as I could just run Plex on my MBA and Airplay it to the ATV) but if it doesn't then I really don't want to lose my lovely movie collection with 5.1 audio.

Can anyone tell me if 5.1 audio is passed over Airplay?

Thanks in advance.

[EDIT] Of course, all this may be moot if Apple launch an ATV3 in two days time as I'll definitely be ordering one along with my iPad 3 lol [/EDIT]

denaliOnDubs

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
CO
I just had a question. When using the airplay mirroring with your sandy bridge air were you able to close the laptop and use a mac keyboard/trackpad? This is such an awesome feature I can't wait until Mountain Lion...

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
I just had a question. When using the airplay mirroring with your sandy bridge air were you able to close the laptop and use a mac keyboard/trackpad? This is such an awesome feature I can't wait until Mountain Lion...

I actually didn't try that, but I would bet that it doesn't work. Airplay doesn't work the same way having an external monitor plugged in does. I only close the lid when its hooked up to my Thunderbolt Display :)

AdvocateUK

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
Billingham, United Kingdom
When I mirror my MBA to my ATV2 it doesn't completely fill the screen, I have black borders around the whole image. Is this because the MBA screen is 16:10 while my TV is 16:9?

No matter what options I choose I still have the black borders, it's driving me nuts!

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
When I mirror my MBA to my ATV2 it doesn't completely fill the screen, I have black borders around the whole image. Is this because the MBA screen is 16:10 while my TV is 16:9?

No matter what options I choose I still have the black borders, it's driving me nuts!

I have the black borders too. It must be a bug with this build of 10.8, because I can't imagine that being in the final build.

I wonder if Apple will enable 1080p airplay mirroring with ATV 3?

----------

Didn't realize it was enabled in this build. I've not seen any sign of it on my Mid 2009 13" MBP

It's in the latest ATV build. If you go into the settings in OS X, you can see a sign of it under the display settings.

I love mirroring, however, I tried to watch a movie and though it was fine for the first 15 or so minutes, after a while it started freezing and lagging until it was unwatchable. Not sure if it was my internet or the mirroring of a 720p movie.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I wonder if Apple will enable 1080p airplay mirroring with ATV 3?

Unfortunately, it's sort of up in the air (no pun intended.) The new iPad that was announced this past Wednesday states in the specs that AirPlay mirroring is limited to 720p, despite the fact that you can use AirPlay *video* streaming at 1080p.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Supports:
- AirPlay Mirroring to Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) at 720p
- AirPlay video streaming to Apple TV (3rd generation) at up to 1080p and Apple TV (2nd generation) at up to 720p

Although this might just indicate that the new iPad doesn't have the processing capacity to simultaneously render its own screen image while transcoding on the fly to an Apple TV. A Mac might perform better. The bottom line is that if the Apple TV allows 1080p streaming, it provides enough overhead that the ultimate bottleneck would be the horsepower of whatever the video originates from.

denaliOnDubs

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
CO
I have been thinking of purchasing the Thunderbolt Display. I have an external monitor now that I use via hdmi but the experience would be greatly improved.

I actually didn't try that, but I would bet that it doesn't work. Airplay doesn't work the same way having an external monitor plugged in does. I only close the lid when its hooked up to my Thunderbolt Display :)

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
I have been thinking of purchasing the Thunderbolt Display. I have an external monitor now that I use via hdmi but the experience would be greatly improved.

Go for it! I tried a Samsung monitor for a week but couldn't get the thunderbolt out of my head. You won't regret it, that thing is awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.