PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys ever get a small "want" for an Android phone?

Pages : [1] 2

Johnny Steps
Feb 19, 2012, 11:27 PM
I know in the end the iPhone for me is the better choice, but at times I see phones from Samsung like the Galaxy SII, and I sort of want one just to mess around with. Also it has LTE so yeah.

What about you guys?

Broph
Feb 19, 2012, 11:34 PM
I want to try the Galaxy Nexus more than any other android phone.

I want to see if bigger is better (expecting following jokes about member size).

Likewise, I know the iPhone is the best choice for me.

SuperSnake2012
Feb 19, 2012, 11:36 PM
I came from 2 Android phones (Hero and Evo 4G) so I can certainly say no. I have 30GB of music in my iTunes, and I absolutely love having all of that music with me in my pocket. I was not about to start managing music manually on an Android, and doubletwist did not work well as a substitute. Plus the music players on those devices left a lot to be desired. The phone also just "works". I was flashing new ROMs onto my Android device every other week, because the stock ROMs were crap, and they always had bugs that crashed my phone. :rolleyes: I didn't really care for the larger size of the phone. I wear XL gloves yet I couldn't comfortably navigate the phone with one hand.

I had 4G on the Evo but I never used it... having it on killed my battery life, and I almost always had WiFi available. 3G sufficed for the few times I didn't. One of my friends has a S2 that has LTE, and the speeds are impressive. He also has to carry his phone charger with him all the time ;)

CrAkD
Feb 19, 2012, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't mind playing with some of the newer ones just to see how they are because im a gadget junkie but I would never under any circumstances buy an android phone. Im way too addicted to apple stuff to do that.

nycfly89
Feb 19, 2012, 11:47 PM
No.

filler

filler

JMies419
Feb 19, 2012, 11:51 PM
No.

Honestly, the only thing I miss about my android phone is the free google navigation. It really is awesome and the turn by turn is great considering you don't have to drop a dime to have it. Other than that, no.

RedburnIV
Feb 19, 2012, 11:52 PM
No but there is a small want for some of my friends to trade in their android and get an iPhone :)

iPhone1
Feb 19, 2012, 11:53 PM
When my wife and I switched from AT&T to Verizon, she got the iPhone 4 and I was going to also but the HTC ThunderBolt caught my eye. The unlimited 4G LTE data plan sucked me in as well. I went 9 months with the ThunderBolt which I had to root in order to get it to do what I want. The stock HTC experience (Sense) is terrible. After many months of trying custom ROM's to get the phone the way I wanted it, I got fed up and got an iPhone 4s. Android is good but the iOS experience is so much better, especially with iOS 5.

yourtoys7
Feb 20, 2012, 12:08 AM
not at all :D

JBazz
Feb 20, 2012, 12:11 AM
I have an android, refuse to pay the high fees associated with iPhones. Plus all the iPhone users crowding me out of the Apple store sorta leave a bad taste in my mouth.

verwon
Feb 20, 2012, 12:26 AM
Had the Evo 4G, it sucked, so no!

Calidude
Feb 20, 2012, 12:38 AM
What I want is for iOS to get more features from OSX, so it can act more like a laptop in your pocket instead of a mp3 player with phone calling capability.

sentinelsx
Feb 20, 2012, 01:36 AM
I wish android was true linux. It just borrows the kernel that's it. I would like a phone with a full day battery life and able to run ubuntu/fedora with mobile scaled version. That would be awesome!

In its current state i didn't get very happy with it.

Edit: that and a lack of instapaper app. I use it a lot on the iPhone and read it later was not able to win me over. It is sad that the creator refuses to port it over to android.

eastercat
Feb 20, 2012, 01:38 AM
I wouldn't mind messing with one, but those bigger screens are too big for my hands. I can't even reach across the larger screens one handed, while I can with the iphone.
Also, I have a mac. Do the fandroids really expect me to believe that an android will work better with my computer than an iphone? Please. :rolleyes:
Messing with the android os wouldn't be such a big deal, since I jb. However, it annoys me that I am forced to do so to have a decent experience and to get timely updates.
Here's my biggest beef with android. All that crappy bloatware that's installed and can't be deleted (not hidden, deleted). One of the reasons I got rid of windows was the damn bloatware.

moldy lunchbox
Feb 20, 2012, 02:00 AM
I'm interested in gadgets so I'll read about new Android phones and news, but I'm pretty content with my iPhones even compared to the newer Android devices.

thesweeps
Feb 20, 2012, 02:12 AM
I have an android, refuse to pay the high fees associated with iPhones. Plus all the iPhone users crowding me out of the Apple store sorta leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Curious what "high fees" did you or do people with iPhones have to pay?

bandofbrothers
Feb 20, 2012, 03:25 AM
I like to have a tinker with the shops working demo models but thats where it ends for me.

i have no impulsion to use one either as a primary or secondary phone.

3bs
Feb 20, 2012, 03:56 AM
Yeah I do from time to time. I love my iPhone but sometimes I get bored. It's not that the iPhone is boring, I just get bored of stuff after a while. I might give the Galaxy S3 a try if I like it. I'll keep my 4S though in case Android doesn't suit me.

barryl85
Feb 20, 2012, 03:56 AM
I know a lot of people think the Samsung Galaxy Note is a rediculous size but I think its cool and thats the one I keep thinking about and wanting to get a shot of it to see what its like.

However I cant see me ever getting one cos i'd rather just wait and see what the next iPhone is like and I also cant see me getting anything else but an iPhone because I know i'd regret it.

If the Samsung Galaxy Note came with a quad processor and the latest ice cream whatever I might have been extremely tempted just to go and get it.

Novaappledude
Feb 20, 2012, 04:22 AM
I do actually. I wanna try out both Android and WP.:D

tkao2025
Feb 20, 2012, 05:12 AM
IMHO the two platforms are very similar, except that android has widgets. Yes there are some other minor differences, but it's all about the apps these days and both offer pretty much the same apps.

I just wish the iPhone had a bigger screen...........brother has the Nexus and playing games, surfing web, etc is much better because of the screen.

pmau
Feb 20, 2012, 05:20 AM
I have a lot of friends buying the latest Android phones.

The new Samsung Galaxies and Nexus phones are really great.
Compared to the iPhone, the hardware has already evolved way beyond what Apple is offering. (Specs)

But I still think that the iPhone 4 is superior in design and quality.
Also, the new Android phones are too large for my taste.

I have seriously considered buying a Samsung Galaxy II, but every time I play with Android, I really miss my iPhone.

I find the User-Interface complicated and hard to learn.
Lots of menus and options.

iOS, at least in my opinion, has the better design but not necessarily more functionality.

throAU
Feb 20, 2012, 05:22 AM
Every android phone i have touched has felt poorly made.

And i include the galaxy S and htc desire in that. so, no...

Cod3rror
Feb 20, 2012, 05:23 AM
I'd like to try Galaxy S II for a month or so, especially interested in ICS keyboard.

Savor
Feb 20, 2012, 05:25 AM
When you collect different cell phones with different OSes like me, you have a small "want" for many, many phones that isn't just exclusive to Android.

So far, my Android wishlist is between the Galaxy Note or Galaxy Nexus. But in a few months, it may not be either of them anymore. Looking forward to what the Galaxy S III will be like.

I think ALL phones are getting boring to me me right now whether the ones that are out now or ones that got recently announced. There is no quantum leap to any of them. No gamechangers right now. Battery life still last a day or two. We will get quad core phones where the other two cores remain idle since the software isn't optimized for that many cores. We will get 12MP cameras when we don't need it to be in that resolution in the first place. Lots of overkill and excess for things we don't really need.

throAU
I just wish the iPhone had a bigger screen...........brother has the Nexus and playing games, surfing web, etc is much better because of the screen.

tis what an iPad is for...

motoleo
I know in the end the iPhone for me is the better choice, but at times I see phones from Samsung like the Galaxy SII, and I sort of want one just to mess around with. Also it has LTE so yeah.

What about you guys?

I often think of the prospect of Android being good phone, like- in theory.

But I know it's not. Windows phone and Blackberry before Android.

But there's so little competition to the iPhone there is only one choice.

MonkeySee....
Feb 20, 2012, 05:26 AM
I'm indulging in all things Apple and have no desire to move. I honestly didn't really care about what phone I had until I got an iPhone.

VulchR
Feb 20, 2012, 05:30 AM
Nope. Not really.

But I keep an eye on Adroid and WP to see what's available, and if they appear better I'll switch when I next upgrade.

ChristianJapan
Feb 20, 2012, 05:39 AM
yeah; sometime I was thinking would be nice to have a little Android toy. My wife use one but of course I can't root it or play with it too much. But then lucky enough I rethink and save my money for the annual i* refresh.

But: in any case it would just be an addition; never a replacement for the iStuff

SandboxGeneral
Feb 20, 2012, 05:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nope. Never had a want, even a tiny one for an Android phone. I am totally pleased with my iPhone and doubt I'll ever own another brand.

ChazUK
Feb 20, 2012, 06:22 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; TITAN X310e))

I think that anyone who loves the fluidity of iOS should give WP7 a try over Android myself.

I absolutely love using the Galaxy Nexus and ICS but it amazes me every time I pick up my Titan how fluid WP7 is.

dirtclod
Feb 20, 2012, 06:23 AM
I had an itch for the Motorola Droid Razr. It's a solid phone but I miss the iPhone. A lot. Enough that I actually consider from time to time just buying one at regular retail since I'm still in my contract period.

I do like the LTE (though I have long since reverted to 3G because it seems to be more reliable and uses less battery life) and I really like the increased screen size of the Razr.

But I miss the integration of the functions with my MacBook. I miss the totally intuitive nature of the iPhone.

My advice - Don't do it. Or if you're computer savvy (I'm not...) go play with one at the store and see if you really like it. I'm betting most loyal iPhone folks won't like it.

windowstomac
Feb 20, 2012, 08:33 AM
I bought a Galaxy before I got my 4S because it was cheaper. Hated it, gave in and paid the money. Main reasons for me:

1. Android app store is a dumping ground for rubbish that's just not fun to plough through.

2. Battery life was terrible.

3. Useless as a phone - far too convoluted just to make a call.

rjohnstone
Feb 20, 2012, 08:42 AM
I bought a Galaxy before I got my 4S because it was cheaper. Hated it, gave in and paid the money. Main reasons for me:

1. Android app store is a dumping ground for rubbish that's just not fun to plough through.

2. Battery life was terrible.

3. Useless as a phone - far too convoluted just to make a call.
Reasons 1 and 3 tell me you never touched an Android phone outside of a store kiosk.
90% (this is an estimate based on my own experience, so you number Nazis can chill) of the same apps found in Apple's App Store can be found in the Android Market.
Making a call on any Android phone is the same as making one on an iPhone. :rolleyes:
Click the phone icon, select contact, select call. ;)
Or just dial direct. Not rocket science.

Reason 2 varies by phone. Some suck, some don't.

motoleo
Feb 20, 2012, 08:49 AM
haha

AlphaVictor87
Feb 20, 2012, 08:51 AM
Only reason i'd say yes is to try out what its like to have a bigger screen. But because i'd have to sacrifice using iOS, there's no way i'd actually do it.

windowstomac
Feb 20, 2012, 08:53 AM
Reasons 1 and 3 tell me you never touched an Android phone outside of a store kiosk.

What a strange thing to say. I would offer to go and take a photo of my Samsung Galaxy for you if could be bothered.

Yes, 90% of iPhone apps are also available for Android. There's also thousands of terrible unregulated apps in the marketplace making these hard to find. Yes, you can search for them, but in terms of an enjoyable "App surfing" experience, what Android delivers doesn't compare to the Apple experience.

Making calls on my Galaxy FELT convoluted. My opinion that I am entitled to. A call ends , my Android screen has always gone onto something else, and I have to pull down the notification window to end the call. Half the time I neglected to do that as it is simply not intuitive - so ended up leaving lots of long silent voicemails for people.

Over the years I have had many phones, some have been good to use (my iPhone), some have not (my Samsung).

I am giving my opinion - that's what a forum is for. Suggesting that I am lying about having possessed an Android device because your opinion happens to differ is rather childish.

ChazUK
Feb 20, 2012, 09:02 AM
A call ends , my Android screen has always gone onto something else, and I have to pull down the notification window to end the call. Half the time I neglected to do that as it is simply not intuitive - so ended up leaving lots of long silent voicemails for people.
That reads like something is wrong with your phone (perhaps the proximity sensor isn't working and you are face touching during a call?)

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee14/apogee91/SC20110812-171607.png

There should be an "end call" button in screen when on a call. Is that the only issue you have with calling on the SCSII or is the dialing process a problem too?

That would annoy me to have to go to the notification bar to end calls.

whoathere
Feb 20, 2012, 09:07 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My girlfriend has the droid X. I don't like it at all

r.j.s
Feb 20, 2012, 09:12 AM
What a strange thing to say. I would offer to go and take a photo of my Samsung Galaxy for you if could be bothered.

Yes, 90% of iPhone apps are also available for Android. There's also thousands of terrible unregulated apps in the marketplace making these hard to find. Yes, you can search for them, but in terms of an enjoyable "App surfing" experience, what Android delivers doesn't compare to the Apple experience.

Making calls on my Galaxy FELT convoluted. My opinion that I am entitled to. A call ends , my Android screen has always gone onto something else, and I have to pull down the notification window to end the call. Half the time I neglected to do that as it is simply not intuitive - so ended up leaving lots of long silent voicemails for people.

Over the years I have had many phones, some have been good to use (my iPhone), some have not (my Samsung).

I am giving my opinion - that's what a forum is for. Suggesting that I am lying about having possessed an Android device because your opinion happens to differ is rather childish.

There is something wrong with your phone. The end call button is always on screen, unless you move on to something else.

As someone else said, it is possible that the proximity sensor is broken or you are touching the home softkey.

Whatever the case, your experience is not normal.

Dweez
Feb 20, 2012, 09:14 AM
I've got both a Droid Incredible and an iPhone 4, and I like them both.

pooleman
Feb 20, 2012, 09:22 AM

What about you guys?

Never. Blasphemy!

Martyimac
Feb 20, 2012, 09:50 AM
As a matter of fact, yes. Recently Motorola released the Razr Maxx. It has a huge battery and is 4G/LTE. My area has 4G and have been wondering how well I would like it. Also, the reviews have been very impressive for the Maxx and it's battery and with the recent OTA update, folks are even more pleased with it's capability to hold a 4G signal and the voice quality of the phone.

If I was a rich man, I would go out and buy one but kind of stuck with the 4 until October of this year. I guess that's not bad because I suspect Apple will release a new phone with LTE capability. Will have to see what the battery life is like.

vikingjunior
Feb 20, 2012, 10:16 AM
As a Android adopter from the beginning I have a "Want" for a iphone. I go into the Apple store once a week and play with it but have yet to walk out with it. I think the iphone is one smooth OS but I always manage to find something on it that Android does better. If I could take everything I like about the iphone and mix it with everything I like about android well then I would have the perfect device for me.

BiggAW
Feb 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
I switched from Android. I don't miss the crappy hardware (although I drool over the VZW LTE RAZR MAXX, but no LTE here yet so it's irrelevant), or the bulky devices, but I do sometimes miss having Handcent SMS, full native GMail, Native GDocs, etc. But overall, no, I don't miss Android, and I like not having to carry around two devices...

However, it's largely network dependent. Hell would freeze over before I got an iPhone in NYC. Here, AT&T is the fastest and most reliable, so it's a logical choice.

takeshi74
Feb 20, 2012, 10:46 AM
Do you guys ever get a small "want" for an Android phone?
Nope. Been there done that. Why does it matter? if you're interested in Android then check it out. You don't need anyone else's approval to do so.

cynics
Feb 20, 2012, 10:50 AM

Good question. He may mean apps, on average I'd say an apple app is about a dollar more then its equivalent android app even if its the same app by the same developer. A lot of 1 dollar apps are free in the android market, so are things like angry birds. Books are more if you get them from apple versus Google.

Tethering is a lot easier to get away with but some would argue that's just stealing. And if you really didn't care you can Google "appname.apk" and download most apps for free from the web directly onto the device. I don't do either of those things but its something someone could argue makes android less expensive to use.

flyguy206
Feb 20, 2012, 11:18 AM
Nope

Mikesus
Feb 20, 2012, 11:24 AM
...all the iPhone users crowding me out of the Apple store sorta leave a bad taste in my mouth.

You shouldn't get that friendly with them then... Just saying...

jpross123
Feb 20, 2012, 11:25 AM
Yes, and thats why I bought one

BornAgainMac
Feb 20, 2012, 11:27 AM
What Android needs is a "Android Touch". Something with no contacts so you can try it out. So far the pure Android tablets are priced too high or they cut too many corners. Also Android seems to work best with the smaller screens for some reason.

nerdpov
Feb 20, 2012, 11:53 AM
After having this "want" twice and having tried out android twice, I no longer have this "want" anymore.

For what it's worth, I'd rather use BlackBerry than Android.

Dessureault
Feb 20, 2012, 11:57 AM
i'm trying to push back the urge to buy the galaxy note, I love everything about this phone! but I can't imagine myself selling my iphone even though i'm starting to find it really boring.

RolandNights
Feb 20, 2012, 12:18 PM
If there were specific phones, I'd say I was interested in the Galaxy Nexus or the Galaxy Note. I never thought of breaking a contract for either. Really though, I'm more interested in Ice Cream Sandwich.

I had an Epic 4G, but I recently used their promotion to reset my eligibility ($65 fee) so I could get an iPhone 4S and I'm completely satisfied with the move. WiFi/4G/3G/GPS were too unstable for me to find using the phone entirely enjoyable. I guess something was just wrong with the two Epics I had, because I didn't find the phone to be as fast as advertised. The apps I used just felt laggy and it made playing games on it unbearable. There were some basic OS features I liked that I think the iPhone could use, though, but I digress. The Epic 4G was my only Android, but it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

In any case, I like how open the OS is, and I think ICS is trying to address the issue of fragmentation. The only "phone envy" I ever had once my Epic 4G started going down the drain was for the iPhone 4S. However, I won't be curious about owning any specific Android phones until ICS devices (or whatever tasty dessert is next) become more prominent in the market.

matttye
Feb 20, 2012, 12:26 PM
No - I have a galaxy s2 and get small wants for an iPhone.

The grass is always greener :p

jesslla
Feb 20, 2012, 02:06 PM
Nope. I have an Android right now and am (im)patiently waiting until I can get an iPhone. The Android phone is fine, even with a stock rom, but there are several little things that piss me off about it.

Like not being able to run all apps off of my SD card, not displaying the artist of a song on the lock screen, crashes with strange error messages, overall crappy apps.

I will miss the widgets though.

I wish I'd bought an iPhone when they first came out, but I think if I hadn't used Android for myself I would always wonder if I'd like Android better/the same.

12 days until I get an iPhone. They can't go fast enough.

ModestMoo
Feb 20, 2012, 02:09 PM
I'm currently on iPhone 4, but I never had an Android and I want to try it. Samsung Galaxy Note or Nexus. I hate big phones like Note, but still, I want to try it.

xAnthony
Feb 20, 2012, 02:13 PM
My buddy picked up a galaxy s2 and I got to play around with it for a few minutes. The screen size blew me away at first. It didn't look as good as the Retina display but it was really nice for when I was browsing. It was also a pretty speedy phone. I don't ever think I'd give up my iPhone for one, but I wouldn't mind using one for a couple of weeks to test it out some more.

rgarjr
Feb 20, 2012, 02:14 PM
i'm trying to push back the urge to buy the galaxy note, I love everything about this phone! but I can't imagine myself selling my iphone even though i'm starting to find it really boring.

I have the International Note and my 4s and still use the iPhone as my main device.

naths
Feb 20, 2012, 02:21 PM
yep...and now use a GS2, will be getting the GS3 when that arrives, my company iPhone 4s gets switched on at 8 and off at 4, thats as far as being with apple anymore goes, great phones yes, rip off for what you get yes, and to tied to what they want you to do...so android for me far more freedom,...dont want to be a clone anymore, far to common iPhones...

lordofthereef
Feb 20, 2012, 03:23 PM

What about you guys?

It sounds like you have never tried these phones? So how do you know that the iPhone is best for you?

xxBURT0Nxx
Feb 20, 2012, 03:28 PM
When they release a NEXUS phone I always get a little excited, but after I try it out I realize that I just personally don't like android as much as iOS. I enjoy the integration of apple products more than using an android phone. Just my .02

cambookpro
Feb 20, 2012, 03:34 PM
I kinda wanted to try one until I saw one crash - I was surprised that the whole phone actually had to restart rather than you being kicked out of an app.

A bit pedantic I know, but I've been with iOS long enough to know apps do crash, and I don't want to restart my phone every time. The devil's in the detail.

newyorksole
Feb 20, 2012, 04:16 PM
honest answer? No.

I really couldn't use another phone. Being in the Apple ecosystem makes things so easy. iPhone/Mac/iPad great content and interfaces, support from Apple Stores, integration with iTunes/iPhoto etc.

I did see a nice interface on a Windows phone recently though.

Rennir
Feb 20, 2012, 04:23 PM
Yup definitely! I've played with a couple at the store but I'd be more interested in testing them in real world environments. After using the same UI for so many years, I'm ready to try some widgets. I've never had an android phone before, so who knows how it'll go? Same is true for WP7/8

iMaconApple
Feb 20, 2012, 04:27 PM
Well my upgrade is up and I can grab a phone from the devil "AT&T" I want to try the note..I hear that galaxy S 3 is coming soon and iPhone 5 is pushed back to fall release..I want to give it a try..

Will I lose my upgrade if I use it twice?

Say I try the note and return it back with in 30 days then next month or so I want to try out another phone and return it will I lose my upgrade? Is there like a limit how many times I can return it?

Thanks guys/girls :)

daneoni
Feb 20, 2012, 04:56 PM
Yes which led me to try Android on 3 separate occasion. Ended up feeling underwhelmed in every case. So i've said goodbye to it indefinitely.

BiggAW
Feb 20, 2012, 05:18 PM
Sure, there are cheaper apps on the Android marketplace, but it still doesn't have quite the breadth and quality of overall apps. If you are willing to make a long-term investment in the iOS platform, there is so much more out there. I say that having beta tested an app on Android that took probably a year to get over, and still looks better on iOS. I also had a lot of perspective, as I used to own a Captivate and an iPod Touch, so I would use them side by side.

Tophersky
Feb 20, 2012, 05:21 PM

I am curious about this as well... I've been with Sprint for almost 15 years now, I had the HTC EVO 4G for maybe a year and ditched it for the iPhone as soon as it was made available to me. I have no high fees, nor do I pay any more money than I did than when I had the EVO. So, I have no idea what the OP is referring to with 'high fees associated with the iPhone". The only thing I am paying for now, that didnt cost as much much with any other phone is the Lifeproof case I just put my phone into.

gatortpk
Feb 20, 2012, 06:50 PM

I'm curious what high fees there are? (I'm not being sarcastic :))

I just met two people who got free iPhone 3GS's. (When they could have gotten an iPhone 4 for $99 or 4S $199.) After paying a minimum of around $600 a year (or ~$1200/contract period), why not pay the additional $199 for a $599 phone, than nothing for a $399 phone?

I just looked around at AT&T and Verizon, and their rates have gone up for everything!

Again, what are the high fees, differentiating the Android based phones and the iPhone? (I know the iPhone requires a Data Plan, I assume most Android phones do too? Is the Data Plan Standard the added expense?)

Lindenhurst
Feb 20, 2012, 06:57 PM
I know a lot of people think the Samsung Galaxy Note is a rediculous size but I think its cool and thats the one I keep thinking about and wanting to get a shot of it to see what its like.

However I cant see me ever getting one cos i'd rather just wait and see what the next iPhone is like and I also cant see me getting anything else but an iPhone because I know i'd regret it.

If the Samsung Galaxy Note came with a quad processor and the latest ice cream whatever I might have been extremely tempted just to go and get it.

I just got one and it is really cool. I'm taking the 30 day "try it out" and if I don't like it, it goes back and my upgrade gets re-established. After 3 days, I doubt I will return it.
I'm waiting for ICS, which is supposed to be out in March, btu I aint holding my breath.
The phone is huge but it fits in my pockets just fine, and I have no problem holding it in my huge hand. my 2 kids each got one, and they don't miss their IP4's. The downside is that the Android Market kind of sucks, and some apps there do crash. Not the same "Apple QC" that goes into apps on Itunes.
Of course I'll be watching for the new IP5, and if the screen is over 4", I would think about it, but the 3.5" screen is just too small, especially for a device that is used for so many things. The OS is "almost" as smooth as IOS, but not quite. Maybe 95% as smooth. The battery life is excellent, and the fit and finish are awesome. It does not feel "Sammy cheap" like so many Sammy plastic phones before it.
I love Apple products but I also liek tinkering with stuff and the Android phone allows a whole lot of tinkering.

cynics
Feb 20, 2012, 07:02 PM
I kinda wanted to try one until I saw one crash - I was surprised that the whole phone actually had to restart rather than you being kicked out of an app.

A bit pedantic I know, but I've been with iOS long enough to know apps do crash, and I don't want to restart my phone every time. The devil's in the detail.

Its actually funny you mention this. I just had to do a simple power + home reset on my iPhone 4s cause the camera app kept crashing on its activation. I've had strange things like that happen to me with Android too. I don't really find one more stable then the other compared to vanilla Android. I can't speak for skinned android.

throAU
Feb 20, 2012, 07:13 PM
I love Apple products but I also liek tinkering with stuff and the Android phone allows a whole lot of tinkering.

I keep hearing this. But.... most android phones need to get rooted to install custom firmware, and is unsupported by the vendor.

If you're going to go down that path, why not just jailbreak your iphone and have nicer hardware?

tryst3
Feb 20, 2012, 07:22 PM
I really do want to see all the great things they have done, but I can't get over the damn OS lag... It's something that 100% of Android users will encounter every time they use their phone, and it just makes the experience (coming from iOS) absolutely intolerable for me =( I get that Android has some great things going for it, and that's what some of my friends who own one say, that they will compromise b/c it does X better than iOS, but I personally cannot stand to use one for more than a few seconds.

cynics
Feb 20, 2012, 07:32 PM
I keep hearing this. But.... most android phones need to get rooted to install custom firmware, and is unsupported by the vendor.

If you're going to go down that path, why not just jailbreak your iphone and have nicer hardware?

What does that have to do with tinkering though? There is a lot to tinker with on stock Android.

gatortpk
Feb 20, 2012, 07:38 PM
Its actually funny you mention this. I just had to do a simple power + home reset on my iPhone 4s cause the camera app kept crashing on its activation. I've had strange things like that happen to me with Android too. I don't really find one more stable then the other compared to vanilla Android. I can't speak for skinned android.

(I thought you were trying to say "I just had to do a simple power and home button reset (force shut down and restart) on my iPhone 4s to stop causing the camera app to crash when activating". I think you meant to say, "I just had to do a simple power and home button reset (force power off and restart) on my iPhone 4s because the camera app kept crashing on its activation.") :) (I need work on reading as if people are talking rather than typing)

Anyhow, did you try to do a regular/proper restart? (Hold the power button down, slide to power off, and then turn on?) If you did that, and it didn't fix the Camera App, then that would be really interesting. It would mean that cutting the power, rather than a proper shut down on iOS devices, causes some more work done on restart to fix any possible corruption?

TheBigKing
Feb 20, 2012, 07:44 PM
just sold my nexus and get back a 4s 32gb damm many prob with the gnex wifi drops all time has extenden battery and never got 5 hours of screen time looking to get a note but i don't know if i will like it

gatortpk
Feb 20, 2012, 07:45 PM
What does that have to do with tinkering though? There is a lot to tinker with on stock Android.

I find new ways to tinker with an iPhone everyday (almost everyday to be more accurate). Mostly from other people's iPhones, and seeing something I didn't know could be done on their phone, then I do the same if I like it on mine. (I don't know anyone with Jailbroken iPhones, but it's pretty easy to do, but I know a few people with rooted Androids, and it really bothers me when I get asked dozens of questions on how to do this. I've spent 40+ hours researching how to root several different Android based Phones, and they're all different!)

SurferMan
Feb 20, 2012, 07:53 PM
I never cared for Android before, but the newer phones changed my opinion. Always had iphones for years, and we still have a 3GS/4/4S ... but I bought my i777 GS2 in Nov and had no inkling to go back to iphone only, I love this phone and the way I have it setup right now and that's w/o flashing a custom Rom yet (keep meaning to lol). No issues, phone is fast, smooth, great battery life, and love the size with the 4.3" screen.

gatortpk
Feb 20, 2012, 07:59 PM
just sold my nexus and get back a 4s 32gb damm many prob with the gnex wifi drops all time has extenden battery and never got 5 hours of screen time looking to get a note but i don't know if i will like it

What?

(I understood that you sold your Nexus, and got another iPhone 4S with 32GB of storage. I think you're saying you had problems with the Nexus and couldn't get 5 hours of operating time (backlight on) with an extended battery. What's a "gnex"? And I'm hopping you were talking about the Wifi dropping on the Nexus. And of course the iPhone doesn't have a extended battery (without an extra case), so I assume you were talking about the Nexus there. Also, are you saying you don't know if you'll like the iPhone 4S or getting a note, or looking at the screen? And on what device, depending on the answer to the last question?)

I figured out what a "gnex" is! You're talking about a Google Nexus, which does have an extended battery option! Though, I have no idea which "Google Nexus" you're talking about.

cynics
Feb 20, 2012, 08:04 PM
(I thought you were trying to say "I just had to do a simple power and home button reset (force shut down and restart) on my iPhone 4s to stop causing the camera app to crash when activating". I think you meant to say, "I just had to do a simple power and home button reset (force power off and restart) on my iPhone 4s because the camera app kept crashing on its activation.") :) (I need work on reading as if people are talking rather than typing)

Anyhow, did you try to do a regular/proper restart? (Hold the power button down, slide to power off, and then turn on?) If you did that, and it didn't fix the Camera App, then that would be really interesting. It would mean that cutting the power, rather than a proper shut down on iOS devices, causes some more work done on restart to fix any possible corruption?

I didn't try that figured it would be just as easy to reset it....

4sFanatic
Feb 20, 2012, 08:06 PM
I know a lot of people think the Samsung Galaxy Note is a rediculous size.

barry, if you can just remember that ridiculous does NOT have an "e" in it, you will never spell it wrong again.
It's not a typo, it's not knowing, and u are not knowing.

And yes, my jb 4s is great, but i want/need a bigger screen, I'll try a sgs3 when it comes out.

LoganT
Feb 20, 2012, 08:07 PM
I do, but only for the nexus ones.

If they put the nexus on AT&T, I might have some trouble deciding.

BiggAW
Feb 20, 2012, 08:40 PM

It's two different things. Its easier and safer to get root level access and customizability on the iPhone, but you can go way farther with Android, like cooking a custom theme in a the mod kitchen and installing highly customized ROMs.

TheBigKing
Feb 20, 2012, 09:05 PM
What?

(I understood that you sold your Nexus, and got another iPhone 4S with 32GB of storage. I think you're saying you had problems with the Nexus and couldn't get 5 hours of operating time (backlight on) with an extended battery. What's a "gnex"? And I'm hopping you were talking about the Wifi dropping on the Nexus. And of course the iPhone doesn't have a extended battery (without an extra case), so I assume you were talking about the Nexus there. Also, are you saying you don't know if you'll like the iPhone 4S or getting a note, or looking at the screen? And on what device, depending on the answer to the last question?)

I figured out what a "gnex" is! You're talking about a Google Nexus, which does have an extended battery option! Though, I have no idea which "Google Nexus" you're talking about.

gnex = galaxy nexus i sold it and get a 4s the galaxy nexus give me problems bad wifi bad battery life i love the screen on the galaxy nexus but not good battery life i buy for it a samsung original battery 2000 mah and never get 5 hours on screen time try many kernels and roms and the same last week sold it and get a iphone 4s now i am looking to get a galaxy note

gatortpk
Feb 20, 2012, 09:42 PM
gnex = galaxy nexus i sold it and get a 4s the galaxy nexus give me problems bad wifi bad battery life i love the screen on the galaxy nexus but not good battery life i buy for it a samsung original battery 2000 mah and never get 5 hours on screen time try many kernels and roms and the same last week sold it and get a iphone 4s now i am looking to get a galaxy note

Thanks for the clarification! I didn't even think of a "Galaxy Note" when you said note, I suppose because I didn't even think of "Galaxy Nexus" either. (2000 mah, that's 2000 mAh (right?), or 2 Ah, or 2000 mili-ampere-hour. "mah", sounded like meh, as in eh, or "don't care", or "whatever".)

It's actually hard to type that stuff because of the AutoCorrect that exists the same on Mac OS X Lion, as it does on smart phones! Though on the iPhone I find it indispensable because every other word I expect to get corrected, so I can type really fast on the screen, but I don't like it on a real keyboard because I type perfectly really fast anyway, and I have to reverse correct the intentional incorrectness of things like "mah" (until the second time, it AutoCorrected to "may" because the "h" and "y" are close together) . So this is why I have trouble reading posts sometimes, I don't expect old fashioned texting style of writing, and I never texted back when it was punching numbers.

You say you never get 5 hours of screen time no matter which kernels and ROMs you tried? I know of people who keep flashing their ROMs, but different kernels? (I know what those are, and their evolution since the 1970's that was used on all computers, electronic devices, etc.)

I guess people use kernels and ROMs interchangeably when it comes to Android based phones? I think all modern Android based phones used a variation of the Linux kernel version 2.6.3x. (Though Android version 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich finally uses Linus kernel version 3.0.1! Wow, Linux finally escaped version 2.6.x?)

cdcrowell
Feb 20, 2012, 09:54 PM
I came from 2 Android phones (Hero and Evo 4G) so I can certainly say no. I have 30GB of music in my iTunes, and I absolutely love having all of that music with me in my pocket. I was not about to start managing music manually on an Android, and doubletwist did not work well as a substitute. Plus the music players on those devices left a lot to be desired. The phone also just "works". I was flashing new ROMs onto my Android device every other week, because the stock ROMs were crap, and they always had bugs that crashed my phone. :rolleyes: I didn't really care for the larger size of the phone. I wear XL gloves yet I couldn't comfortably navigate the phone with one hand.

I had 4G on the Evo but I never used it... having it on killed my battery life, and I almost always had WiFi available. 3G sufficed for the few times I didn't. One of my friends has a S2 that has LTE, and the speeds are impressive. He also has to carry his phone charger with him all the time ;)

this is my response exactly.never left home with out a charger .and i will never go back

Invincibilizer
Feb 20, 2012, 10:18 PM
I have a HUGE want for an Android Phone.

Using my friend's Evo3D the other day showed me just how much iOS was lacking

NZed
Feb 20, 2012, 10:22 PM
Vice versa for me ;)

MonkeyBrainz
Feb 20, 2012, 10:22 PM

Until you start using it on a daily basis...

I'm not going back to the Android OS.

You should take a gander at the Android Marketplace. It's scary in there.

Also what, to you, is lacking from iOS? The only positive thing about Android to me is you can use it far more easily as a storage medium for files than the iPhone.

chrono1081
Feb 20, 2012, 10:25 PM
I'm all too familiar with Android, and it makes me not want an Android phone at all.

They have potential (the base OS is pretty good, although I still prefer iOS), but the fragmentation is atrocious*. Not to mention the horrible reskinning jobs the OEM's do to it.

*Before anyone says "I don't see fragmentation" I want to say that the end user really won't know much about it. Its the developers that see it and have the headaches from it.

Invincibilizer
Feb 20, 2012, 10:26 PM
Until you start using it on a daily basis...

I'm not going back to the Android OS.

You should take a gander at the Android Marketplace. It's scary in there.

Also what, to you, is lacking from iOS? The only positive thing about Android to me is you can use it far more easily as a storage medium for files than the iPhone.

Android Market is lacking but I have an iPod touch to experience iTunes app store apps. The whole interface of the Evo was amazing and the fact that it was on 4.0 makes me drool. iPhone has always had the slide to unlock and 4x4 icons, I just need something new, WP7 is too simple, tiles aren't going to cut it, 4.0 is the perfect OS for me.

FredTheDeadHead
Feb 20, 2012, 10:32 PM
Most of my friends have iPhones, but a few are Fandroids.

Occasionally, I do see a feature or a app that make me want to look more closely at the Android stuff.

But almost always, very soon I hear gripes about short battery life, hangs and slow response times, flaky apps, various security holes, etc... Not all of the flaws apply to all Android phones. There also doesn't seem to be a single Android phone that bests the iPhone, overall. They best it by a feature or two, but then lack something else. I am still very, very happy with my iPhone.

The claim of Androids 'openness' is very subjective. It isn't as open as many Fandroids claim.

It does seem like Google is 'trying to get it together' and improve Android, but many of the phone makers are seriously not playing along.

rjohnstone
Feb 20, 2012, 10:39 PM
*Before anyone says "I don't see fragmentation" I want to say that the end user really won't know much about it. Its the developers that see it and have the headaches from it.
I'll beg to differ on that statement.
There are 3 SDK's devs need to worry about.
2.3.x, 3.x and 4.x. Anything older is really a waste of time as that usr base is disappearing fast.
It's like asking an iOS dev to continue to write apps for 2.x.

Screen size/resolution is moot since Android apps can support multiple resolutions in one app if the dev chooses to do so.
It's the lazy devs that are limiting their own exposure.

Just like iOS, you have devices running or limited to one of the major OS versions.

iOS is just as "fragmented" in the OS sense. You still have 1st gen and 3G iPhones stuck on 3.x and other users who chose to remain on 4.x or are unaware that 5.x even exists.
Yes, they are out there. My father-in-law is but one example of this type of person. He bought an iPhone 3GS and he never updated it since the day he bought it... ever.
He simply used it for the phone, email and maps capabilities.
I've run into many people who are still running 4.x on their iPhone 4.

chrono1081
Feb 20, 2012, 10:54 PM
2.3.x, 3.x and 4.x. Anything older is really a waste of time as that usr base is disappearing fast.

Screen size/resolution is moot since Android apps can support multiple resolutions in one app if the dev chooses to do so.

Just like iOS, you have devices running or limited to one of the major OS versions.

iOS is just as "fragmented" in the OS sense. You still have 1st gen and 3G iPhones stuck on 3.x and other users who chose to remain on 4.x or are unaware that 5.x even exists.
Yes, they are out there. My father-in-law is but one example of this type of person. He bought an iPhone 3GS and he never updated it since the day he bought it... ever.
I've run into many people who are still running 4.x on their iPhone 4.

You must not make games.

Comparing Android to iOS versions doesn't really work. Apples hardware (to a certain extent) guarantees upgrades to the OS. Manufacturers of handsets running Android do not. This is one of the things Google is attempting to fix but hasn't yet.

There is also the enormous amounts of handsets Android runs on. For a standard app, this may not matter but for games, it matters a great deal since frame rate needs to remain above 30fps.

There is no real minimum hardware requirement for an OEM to adhere to for their phone to run Android (again, this is supposed to be addressed in the future according to Google itself) so crap phones can (and do) run Android but a game running on it could potentially run terrible.

Savor
Feb 20, 2012, 10:54 PM

I've run into many people who are still running 4.x on their iPhone 4. That is by choice or simply being unaware. Ignorance is bliss. There is a difference between that and simply NOT being able to update at all.

JMies419
Feb 20, 2012, 10:58 PM

The only thing iOS is lacking is all the force closes that are experienced on Android devices. I had a google nexus and could not get through the day with the keyboard trying to force close when sending a text. THE KEYBOARD. I am not even going to mention the different apps that I had installed, and the amazon app store...yikes.

MonkeyBrainz
Feb 20, 2012, 11:03 PM
The only thing iOS is lacking is all the force closes that are experienced on Android devices. I had a google nexus and could not get through the day with the keyboard trying to force close when sending a text. THE KEYBOARD. I am not even going to mention the different apps that I had installed, and the amazon app store...yikes.

I full-heartedly do not miss my keyboard crashing.

Chechomsky
Feb 20, 2012, 11:32 PM
Hell No

gatortpk
Feb 20, 2012, 11:39 PM

Thanks for the comment. I've used Android based phones before, but they were fresh out of the box every time, and I've never seen the "Force close" before. I now know what two of my Friends get frustrated with sometimes. It also gets annoying when they replace their phone all the time and ask me again how to root it. It's getting harder with all the different handsets now!

I hate it when an iOS app crashes, but I don't remember when that was, but at least it gracefully returns to the home screen. Although, I do remember one time I had to restart my old iPhone just a year ago! (It may have been March though). I have 173 apps on it, and I need to organize them, I just noticed that I can only have 11 "pages" of Apps. And still it seems robust.

So, even though I'm not a daily Android user, I think I can say that I would go back to an iPhone if I bought an Android. I know one person who got a Samsung after having an iPhone 4, and two months later, it just stopped working, I couldn't fix it, and I told her just to get a free replacement. She ended up buying another phone, the iPhone 4S. I didn't even have to suggest it!

akuma13
Feb 21, 2012, 12:17 AM
What always draws me to Android is the high level of customization and full integration of google services. Other than that, nothing else.

Zwhaler
Feb 21, 2012, 12:36 AM
No. The main thing I use my iPhone for is making phone calls, listening to music, Google Maps, and maybe some photos. Android does these things but right now I'm happy with the iPhone 4.

Jason Beck
Feb 21, 2012, 12:38 AM
Android is pretty tight now that it has been around for a minute. It's coming together and ICS isn't the same as Froyo or even Honeycomb. The direction Android is taking is good, and pretty innovative.

I think that when Windows 8 Phones come out that they will be the game changer. I'm looking forward to full MS Office on the go.

Opie
Feb 21, 2012, 01:48 AM
I am ashamed to say YES. The only reason is the 4g capability. I have 4g in my city and have come so close with the Bionic and now the Razr Maxx to switching but literally chickened out while the rep was going to get them from the back. I will admit the main reason I haven't is because I have probably spent $400 in apps (sad I know) that would be useless. I know my music could transfer but the money I have spent on apps alone is keeping me hostage. I have had every iPhone on AT&T and now the 4s on Verizon and I love them. I just want them to get the battery life right and give us 4g on the next iPhone. Without 4g on the next one I will probably switch it up for a year till Apple gives us a 4g iPhone.

Nightarchaon
Feb 21, 2012, 02:23 AM
I want the iPhone to last the 16hrs on a single charge my galaxy SII gets.

Android pros , better size screens , longer battery life.

Android cons, in the words of comic book guy, worst, interface, ever.

Give me the galaxy SII hardware with iOS on it and it would be the perfect phone.

Savor
Feb 21, 2012, 03:53 AM
One thing I realize about iOS even if I do prefer it over Android is iOS is NOT perfect either. My iPhone 4 is my fav phone ever but it "stutters" just a slight from a graphic intensive app or website. There is problems with the home button that we all need to rely on just to go back or exit out of an app. Something webOS did better was how to close apps. And many iOS apps is known to CRASH more than Android apps. Android has its share of faults, but so too does iOS.

Sometimes I just feel iOS covers up its flaws better with a better ecosystem, better made apps, smoother transitions, and "prettier" default icons. But it has its faults too. So the idea of Apple creating a "perfect world" and having sympathizers always coming to its defense even with its faults is just fanboy talk.

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/02/05/study-ios-apps-crash-more-than-android-apps-do/

Beezzy
Feb 21, 2012, 03:58 AM
Not really. I had an Evo and then a Galaxy s2. They were never fully updated to the latest OS, were always buggy and the GPS which IMO is google's golden egg never worked properly. iTunes makes life easy with media and photos. Plus I'm
Not worrying bout my battery 3-4 hours into the day.

barryl85
Feb 21, 2012, 09:48 AM
barry, if you can just remember that ridiculous does NOT have an "e" in it, you will never spell it wrong again.
It's not a typo, it's not knowing, and u are not knowing.

And yes, my jb 4s is great, but i want/need a bigger screen, I'll try a sgs3 when it comes out.

If I actually cared I would try and post something to make you look like a fool but this time I don't actually need to because you showed how sad you really are.

velvetelvis
Feb 21, 2012, 11:38 AM
not since ive had an atrix. that thing was the biggest p.o.s. i ended up going thru 3 of them before trading it on craigs list for a samsung focus. loved my windows phone but the os is just not ready. there are little things that are missing or wrong, at least for me.

that being said, i do like the nexus with i.c.s. very good looking and much smoother than gingerbread ever was. i would love to try one for a month.

also, free gps on android phones. real, good, free gps. i really miss that.

other than that, no, i dont get the itch for android.

TG1
Feb 21, 2012, 02:05 PM
Yeah, but my "want" turned into a "need". My girlfriend is on Verizon, and with my AT&T contract expiring, I needed to head over to Big Red since she travels a lot in her job and phone calls are super important to us. I had the iPhone 4.

My choices were:

1.) Pay $299.99 for a 32 gb iPhone 4S and pay $30/month for 2 gb of data.

2.) Pay $49.99 (via Wirefly) for a 32 gb Droid Razr and pay $30/month for 4 gb of data with LTE.

Throw in the great call quality of Moto phones (waaaay better than my iPhone 4) along with the finances, and this was a relatively easy decision. I do miss the retina display and slightly better camera, but I can do everything I used to do with the Razr.

I'm diggin' the Razr but another big decision will need to be made when iPhone 5 comes out. ;)

-aggie-
Feb 21, 2012, 02:43 PM
Battery life is important to me, so no.

typeadam
Feb 21, 2012, 04:48 PM
Had a strong "want" back in 2009. Since then I've been through a Hero, EVO, EVO Shift, Nexus S 4G. But on Thursday I am getting my first iPhone so that "want" is gone for now.

I LOVED every single one of those phones. Loved them stock and even more so when I rooted/flashed them. Over the years I've heard a lot of complaints about Android phones. After 3 years and 4 devices I've come to the conclusion that the people that are complaining the loudest are the ones that never used them. With the exception of the Hero's slow specs, none ever gave me a problem. Was always happy with my experience.

The 4G speeds, especially on my Nexus S, sometimes even blows my home WiFi out of the water and is just unreal.

But in the end I'm a gadget junkie especially when it comes to phones. I've had 4 Treos, 5 different WM6 phones (including WM6, 6.1, 6.5), and a BlackBerry. And if the WP7 phone that Sprint has wasn't such a POS, I would have gotten that too! :D

All my friends have iPhones so it's nothing new and I had a iPod Touch so I'm used to it in some small way. I hope I'm in love w/ the iPhone as I was w/ all my other devices. But I also hope Sprint gets a WP8 device when the iPhone 5 drops just so I can experience that until an iPhone 6 comes out and switch back... :p

Mochi Hana
Feb 21, 2012, 04:53 PM
I used to, but I don't like Google that much anymore. I'm either going to get a Windows Phone 7 device or maybe wait for the next iPhone.

MonkeyBrainz
Feb 21, 2012, 06:48 PM
Yeah, but my "want" turned into a "need". My girlfriend is on Verizon, and with my AT&T contract expiring, I needed to head over to Big Red since she travels a lot in her job and phone calls are super important to us. I had the iPhone 4.

My choices were:

1.) Pay $299.99 for a 32 gb iPhone 4S and pay $30/month for 2 gb of data.

2.) Pay $49.99 (via Wirefly) for a 32 gb Droid Razr and pay $30/month for 4 gb of data with LTE.

Throw in the great call quality of Moto phones (waaaay better than my iPhone 4) along with the finances, and this was a relatively easy decision. I do miss the retina display and slightly better camera, but I can do everything I used to do with the Razr.

I'm diggin' the Razr but another big decision will need to be made when iPhone 5 comes out. ;)

Motorola has quality phones?

/troll

kas23
Feb 21, 2012, 08:38 PM
I got that small itch before, just last weekend. So, I decided to jailbreak my iPhone. Itch now gone. But, I'll probably be going back to stick soon. I'm not a fan of all the weirdness a jailbreak comes with. I guess I'm more of a fan if stable, but boring.

peasant
Feb 21, 2012, 09:55 PM
had a 3gs, between dropped calls, the pricy plan, very slow or no internet, i'm happier with a Moto Triumph. though it took some rooting and ROMing to get all day battery life. the larger screen is also better for my aging light receptors.

JBazz
Feb 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
I'm curious what high fees there are? (I'm not being sarcastic :))

I just met two people who got free iPhone 3GS's. (When they could have gotten an iPhone 4 for $99 or 4S $199.) After paying a minimum of around $600 a year (or ~$1200/contract period), why not pay the additional $199 for a $599 phone, than nothing for a $399 phone?

I just looked around at AT&T and Verizon, and their rates have gone up for everything!

Again, what are the high fees, differentiating the Android based phones and the iPhone? (I know the iPhone requires a Data Plan, I assume most Android phones do too? Is the Data Plan Standard the added expense?)

I have virgin mobile. My monthly plan is $35, taxes and everything it still comes in under $40. Unlimited data, unlimited texting, and 300 minutes per month. Never had an overage or extra charge.

When I was with Sprint and AT&T, there were always so many extras that by the time my monthly $35 bill came around, it was $75 or more (as phones got more sophisticated). An iPhone would cost me at least, very least, an extra $50 per month and lock me into a yearly contract. Then if I loose it, I have to wait for their insurance to send me a new one. If I loose my little android, I pop into Best Buy pick up a new one, log online to register it and I am back in service with minimal hassle.

I switched to virgin because I had a habit of loosing my phone. So I just bought their $10 phones. Then when the androids came out, I hadn't lost mine in a while so I upgraded. Couldn't be happier. I like the simple, hassle free ease of dealing with them. And once I got use to not paying all those added on fees and extras, they just seem like waisted money where they once were "normal".

RolandNights
Feb 21, 2012, 11:06 PM
I have virgin mobile. My monthly plan is $35, taxes and everything it still comes in under $40. Unlimited data, unlimited texting, and 300 minutes per month. Never had an overage or extra charge.

When I was with Sprint and AT&T, there were always so many extras that by the time my monthly $35 bill came around, it was $75 or more (as phones got more sophisticated). An iPhone would cost me at least, very least, an extra $50 per month and lock me into a yearly contract. Then if I loose it, I have to wait for their insurance to send me a new one. If I loose my little android, I pop into Best Buy pick up a new one, log online to register it and I am back in service with minimal hassle.

I switched to virgin because I had a habit of loosing my phone. So I just bought their $10 phones. Then when the androids came out, I hadn't lost mine in a while so I upgraded. Couldn't be happier. I like the simple, hassle free ease of dealing with them. And once I got use to not paying all those added on fees and extras, they just seem like waisted money where they once were "normal".

I think it might just be the carrier. I switched from an Epic 4G to the iPhone 4S and my bill is exactly the same.

Bobby Corwen
Feb 21, 2012, 11:17 PM
OP no, never. Don't blaspheme.

ToddH
Feb 21, 2012, 11:26 PM
I love the iPhone and I'll never go away from it I just cannot stand android software. I have a really close friend that has the droid X and he got really sick and tired of the slowness of the software and the processor and the graphics he switched over to an iPhone 4S and totally fell in love with the phone. If you stray away from the iPhone, the grass is usually never greener on the other side. Many of the phones out there right now the droid series or the android software look pretty cool but they're not built nearly as well as the iPhone and mostly are all plastic. iPhone / Apple products totally rule!

gatortpk
Feb 22, 2012, 01:19 AM
I got that small itch before, just last weekend. So, I decided to jailbreak my iPhone. Itch now gone. But, I'll probably be going back to stick soon. I'm not a fan of all the weirdness a jailbreak comes with. I guess I'm more of a fan if stable, but boring.

Weirdness that a JailBreak comes with? I just found that the latest JailBreaks are virtually flawless! I'm totally impressed with the latest A5 on iOS 5.01 JailBreak with Absinthe.

I do remember the first iOS 5 jailbreaks had a little problems with iBooks, but that's hardly weirdness. Is it?

I would think that with the hundreds of different handsets and rooting procedures that come with Android based phones, their would be more "weirdness"? A single very well tested JailBreak for a single iPhone has to be better than hundreds of different rootings? (Simply because there are many more of the same exact iPhones than there are the same of any other Android based phone). Developers can focus more on testing just one iPhone device than spreading their resources on hundreds of different Android devices.

cynics
Feb 22, 2012, 07:25 AM
I have a Verizon iPhone 4S and a Verizon OG Xoom LTE.

Since the tablet data plans include tethering when I'm at work I can enjoy Verizon LTE speeds on my iPhone with a wifi hotspot. Plus I get the itch out of my system.

Android apps aren't that expensive. I only have two apps that are more then a buck. Twonky was 2.99 this lets you stream video to a ps3 or xbox360 over wifi (a lot like AirPlay with AppleTV). And splashtop HD which was around 5.99 it is a real good remote desktop that can be used over wifi or 3g/4g. Everything else was about free. Anyway I didn't find it to expensive to go to an android.

kas23
Feb 22, 2012, 08:36 AM
Weirdness that a JailBreak comes with? I just found that the latest JailBreaks are virtually flawless! I'm totally impressed with the latest A5 on iOS 5.01 JailBreak with Absinthe.

I do remember the first iOS 5 jailbreaks had a little problems with iBooks, but that's hardly weirdness. Is it?

I would think that with the hundreds of different handsets and rooting procedures that come with Android based phones, their would be more "weirdness"? A single very well tested JailBreak for a single iPhone has to be better than hundreds of different rootings? (Simply because there are many more of the same exact iPhones than there are the same of any other Android based phone). Developers can focus more on testing just one iPhone device than spreading their resources on hundreds of different Android devices.

Weirdness like having blank (white) icons, the phone being very laggy when entering the passcode on the lock screen, when I swipe from page-to-page it often gets stuck half-way through the swipe, and this one's very subjective, but I feel my battery is going faster (and I even have iControl installed).

This has been my first time JB'ing. I thought I'd try it out. I don't have much installed except for SBSettings, Activator, WiFi Analyzer, 3G Unrestrictor, iControl, iCaughtU, Remove Backgrounder, iWipeCache, and OpenSSH. No themes.

The other thing that I find irksome is that many, many apps are not yet iOS 5 ready. It seems like you need to have the iOS x-specific JB available for a good many months before the apps start becoming either (a) available and/or (b) stable. If I jailbreak an iOS 4 phone today, then this is no problem.

That said, I believe everyone should at least try jail breaking once. I love SBSettings - a truly killer feature. I couldn't care less if we get Siri commands for changing settings. If I'm in my bed at night, with my wife sleeping, and want to dim the screen, I don't want to have to speak out loud to do it.

The Game 161
Feb 22, 2012, 08:58 AM
I do sometimes just to have a bigger screen and see the difference. but would never iphone.

onthecouchagain
Feb 22, 2012, 01:11 PM
I can also say that the iOS experience is not as everyone claims it is. It indeed does lag, there are glitches (disappearing icons, etc.), the keyboard is horrendously outdated, safari is clunky to use (after ICS' browser), and there are other issues.

Granted, ICS has its own problems, but it's come a long way, and in some areas, surpasses iOS. As someone else said, functionality wise, ICS is simply more user friendly and intuitive. To answer the question of this thread: stock Ice Cream Sandwich warrants a chance with anyone curious. Notice i didn't say Android, necessarily!

BiggAW
Feb 22, 2012, 04:43 PM

It doesn't negatively affect anything. My phone is just as stable as it was before, now that is is JB'ed with MiWi and SBSettings.

kas23
Feb 22, 2012, 07:24 PM
It doesn't negatively affect anything. My phone is just as stable as it was before, now that is is JB'ed with MiWi and SBSettings.

Listen, I never said anything about your phone or your user experience. I couldn't care less if everyone on the face of planet decided to jailbreak or not either. I'm just pointing out my experiences with jail breaking. I'm not out to prove anyone right or wrong. The fact of the matter is that my phone never acted like this before, but I guess it doesn't matter since I like the convenience of SBSettings.

BiggAW
Feb 22, 2012, 08:09 PM
Listen, I never said anything about your phone or your user experience. I couldn't care less if everyone on the face of planet decided to jailbreak or not either. I'm just pointing out my experiences with jail breaking. I'm not out to prove anyone right or wrong. The fact of the matter is that my phone never acted like this before, but I guess it doesn't matter since I like the convenience of SBSettings.

But you're fundamentally wrong. Just JB'ing the phone will have zero effect on stability. If you install apps, then who knows, since JB'ed apps can get pretty low-level access to stuff compared to regular App Store Apps.

macbook pro i5
Feb 22, 2012, 09:13 PM
I have a small want for the asus transformer prime but not an android phone.

zombiemom
Feb 22, 2012, 09:16 PM
I didn't read all the posts in this thread because...well, because there are 6 pages...BUT, NO, I do not ever get a small want for an Android phone. Only because I'm coming from Android. At this point, I can say that I am VERY HAPPY with my move to iPhone. I don't miss anything about my Android phone. Nothing.

Hey, I'm an app user, and there was not one app that is done better on Android. Not one app that I miss because it's not available for iOS. Scrolling? I hated any scrolling on my old phone. It was jerky. Nothing felt natural. I really tried to like it. Really.

----------

Also, I'm jailbroken..and my phone works just as well as it did before. :D

4sFanatic
Feb 22, 2012, 09:29 PM
Do you guys ever get a small "want" for an Android phone?

No ................................... I do get a HUGE want for a bigger screen !!!
(other than that, my JBn 4s kicks ass !!!) :D

siliconcowboy
Feb 22, 2012, 09:30 PM
I would absolutely kill for an indicator light. I've been saying for years that they could put an LED under the glass. Much like the Palm Pre had [under plastic in it's case] and how the Nexus Prime has now.

Other than that I'm quite happy in iPhone land.

mrsir2009
Feb 22, 2012, 09:35 PM
From time to time I get a want for features that aren't on the iPhone, but exist on Android. So yes :)

4sFanatic
Feb 22, 2012, 09:36 PM
:confused:I would absolutely kill for an indicator light.
Other than that I'm quite happy in iPhone land.

So u like the 3.5" screen, (or you would rather b a little bigger?) :confused:

cotak
Feb 22, 2012, 10:28 PM
I went for it in the form of a Galaxy Nexus. It's great to play with something new.

The integration between apps and system is pretty neat. I like how apps can be aware of each other and be able to pass data between themselves. E.g being able to select where to post the newest dump photo I took (From sharing via bluetooth to whatever app you have related to photos) should be a feature in all phones.

The screen size just makes my iphone 4 looks sad next to it. Plus it helps with my typing with it's bigger size. That and the keyboard in ICS is a revelation compared to the one in iOS (just because it works doesn't mean you can't improve it Apple...).

And the notification light, is a small thing but you know what? It's one of those why didn't they have it before items.

Nav build in I am sure it's nice but since my car has a good GPS in it I haven't really had the need to use it much.

And WIDGETs. Another thing that iOS should have but that means a re-ramp of the multi-tasking model so I'll hold my breath for it when it finally makes it likely in iOS 6.

People have questioned the camera on the gnex but everyone seems to have overlooked the shutter lag aspect. As it's been said over and over by photographers (was it Chase Jarvis who coined it?) the best camera is the one you have on you. I'd extend it to being able to take that photo when it happens. And shutter lag plays a huge part in that. For better image quality I take a gun to a gun fight and pull out a DSLR.

onthecouchagain
Feb 22, 2012, 11:06 PM
There are so many things ICS does better than iOS. Conversely, the list of things iOS does better than ICS has shrunk significantly.

Shadyriley
Feb 23, 2012, 12:01 AM
Apple had a great head start, but Andriod will one day be better. One day.

Benguitar
Feb 23, 2012, 07:27 AM
Yes and no, My "want" is more or less towards the iPhone again. I've been a user of the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 4, I now use an Android device and in my opinion they are just two different animals.

iPhones are better for personal media, (in my opinion) because Apple has nailed media management with iTunes, there are very few things I'd change about iTunes. (This is why I own an iPad 2)

The downside to iOS in general, is for me I've found no easy way to natively store files on my device/it doesn't work like a flash drive when I plug my device into my Macs, Which is a feature I like when it comes to keeping another backup of my work files stored natively on my phone.

Android is not as user friendly, The interface is not nearly as clean, simple or smooth as iOS, which is something I miss but the Android OS allows me some features that would involve jail breaking my iOS device to do, (Tethering being one of those features)

Personally, It is more of a user's taste and what they need their device to do, For me (and for now), Android works better and made more sense when I was purchasing my device, But needless to say, I may switch back to iOS when my contract expires with this device on Sprint.

patent10021
Feb 23, 2012, 08:10 AM
As in, "I want it nowhere near me"?

Yeah, all the time.

Irish Rose
Feb 26, 2012, 07:41 AM
There are times when I want an Android. Mostly when my iPhone isn't jailbroken, though. However, even when I did leave iOS for an Android I always ended up coming back to iOS shortly after.

ChrisTX
Feb 26, 2012, 08:31 AM
I've never met someone with an iPhone that has switched to Android and been satisfied. However I have met several Android users that have switched to the iPhone and been satisfied. With that being said, unless you get a Nexus device there's too much skinning and crapware that goes on the device. That and it takes AT LEAST a year for most of the newer devices to get the latest Android software. It's practically already March, and only 1 phone runs ICS. That's just ridiculous if you ask me. If google can find a way to insure that all capable* devices get the latest Android update at the same time, and as soon as humanly possible. Then I might consider. Until then, it's iPhone all the way! :D

techkidd4400
Feb 26, 2012, 10:09 AM
From time to time I get a want for features that aren't on the iPhone, but exist on Android. So yes :)

I don't want an Android phone, but, like you, I have been surprised to find features on Android phones that I hadn't thought about and that would be nice additions to iOS.

B777Forevar
Feb 26, 2012, 10:27 AM
Yes.

In fact I'm both a iOS and Android user

BiggAW
Feb 26, 2012, 11:14 AM
I've never met someone with an iPhone that has switched to Android and been satisfied. However I have met several Android users that have switched to the iPhone and been satisfied. With that being said, unless you get a Nexus device there's too much skinning and crapware that goes on the device. That and it takes AT LEAST a year for most of the newer devices to get the latest Android software. It's practically already March, and only 1 phone runs ICS. That's just ridiculous if you ask me. If google can find a way to insure that all capable* devices get the latest Android update at the same time, and as soon as humanly possible. Then I might consider. Until then, it's iPhone all the way! :D

I'll agree that a lot more people are switching Android>>>iPhone than iPhone>>>Android.

However, a lot of phones have ICS for them. Even my Captivate (Galaxy S) has ICS ROMs out for it. When you're on Android, you can't wait around for the manufacturer to update, you have to do it yourself.

ChrisTX
Feb 26, 2012, 01:13 PM
I'll agree that a lot more people are switching Android>>>iPhone than iPhone>>>Android.

However, a lot of phones have ICS for them. Even my Captivate (Galaxy S) has ICS ROMs out for it. When you're on Android, you can't wait around for the manufacturer to update, you have to do it yourself.

I agree but rooting your device is the equivalent of jailbreaking, and the average consumer won't be bothered with that. Would be nicer if Google had a native way of bringing faster software updates to every capable phone without the user having to search for them.

cotak
Feb 26, 2012, 03:29 PM

Hi here I am. Went android and don't want the iPhone back.

You can always get a nexus device. You will get the releases as they happen. It really isn't a problem. It is a choice not a must to buy skinned android devices from Samsung and HTC.

WillFisher
Feb 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
I got an HTC desire around about this time last year to replace my 3G, I've gotta say I was relatively surprised at how it was, it was quick and did everything I needed a phone todo. The only reason I went to Android was to have a choice, I'd never used one before and my contract was up, so I thought why not!
The reason I went back to iOS and the iPhone 3GS so quick was that the hardware was awful! I had to send the phone back twice in 4 months for two different problems, then, I LITERALLY leant on it while taking a nap, and the screen broke! I was so sick of the amount of problems I had that in the end my 2 year old 3G was still in better condition!
And thats why I stay with iOS.
That and Android phones are turning into Tablets. 4 inch would be the largest screen I could cope with.

Lindenhurst
Feb 26, 2012, 05:13 PM

I switched and I'm happy with my android phone. Go to some of the android forums and you will find plenty of ex-iphone users that are happy.
Here there are plenty of happy ex android users that now use iPhone. There is a phone for all tastes.
I was a bit under the impression that Android devices were junk until I tried one out a week ago and put my Iphone4 on Ebay.
Now I have a Samsung Galaxy Note with 4g LTE and a 5.3" screen and a device that allows for unlimited customization and a device that runs very smooth. Don't believe everything you hear from people on this from who have never put their hands on an Android device, yet seem to know everything about why iPhone is better.

The Game 161
Feb 26, 2012, 05:43 PM
I switched and I'm happy with my android phone. Go to some of the android forums and you will find plenty of ex-iphone users that are happy.
Here there are plenty of happy ex android users that now use iPhone. There is a phone for all tastes.
I was a bit under the impression that Android devices were junk until I tried one out a week ago and put my Iphone4 on Ebay.
Now I have a Samsung Galaxy Note with 4g LTE and a 5.3" screen and a device that allows for unlimited customization and a device that runs very smooth. Don't believe everything you hear from people on this from who have never put their hands on an Android device, yet seem to know everything about why iPhone is better.

You have the galaxy note? how do you find it as a PHONE? is it easy to make calls holding it e.t.c? looks great for web browsing got to admit but how is it in your pocket as well? just seems very big for that....

I would never leave iphone but i do like the look of the note.

mrsir2009
Feb 26, 2012, 08:58 PM
:confused:

So u like the 3.5" screen, (or you would rather b a little bigger?) :confused:

What has that got to do with indicator lights? :o

BiggAW
Feb 26, 2012, 09:06 PM
I held a Note in the store the other day. OMFG, that thing is huge. This whole giant phone thing is out of control. I get the engineering need for the 4.3" screen to hide the battery necessary for LTE radios (DROID RAZR MAXX), but anything bigger is just ridiculous. The standard was 3.2" then 3.7", then 4.0", then 4.3", now 4.7"??? This is INSANE.

ugahairydawgs
Feb 26, 2012, 09:19 PM
Not going to lie....the newly announced HTC One X looks intriguing.

ChrisTX
Feb 26, 2012, 09:40 PM

I sent a genuine question to the Dutch guy on YouTube with the first galaxy note unboxing that was an an avid apple user(Mac/iPhone/apple tv) asking how he liked it. Within the course of a week when I finally got a reply. He said the note was already on eBay and he was back with his iPhone. He listed various reasons but regardless I own an iPad 2, iPhone 4, and a MacBook Pro. Not sure that a galaxy note would be very practical for me right now but to each his own. Plus with MWC taking place right now I'm sure the next Android device will out spec it anyway.

tryst3
Feb 26, 2012, 09:43 PM
I was just issued an Android phone from work (running Gingerbread tho) and used it pretty much all weekend, just to play around and customize it. What I really wanted was a different experience from iOS... I love my iPhone and I think it is a brilliant product, probably the best purchase I've ever made. And I also never thought too highly of Android phones, at Best Buy they felt clunky and cheap, and I felt the talk of widgets and customization was just that, talk.

But, after a weekend (and I didn't have really high expectations b/c I was running an older phone w/ an older OS) I definitely will take back all the bad things I've said about Android phones.

I could go on forever ranting about how sweet widgets were. Being able to have apps function just enough on all of my homescreens, and if I really needed to I could launch from the widget, was the most satisfying smartphone experience I've ever had. One thing I want in a smartphone is better app to app transitioning, and widgets are one way of accomplishing that, and Android does it really well.

However, what ultimately trumps the good parts of Android OS is indeed the instability that really drags the user experience down. It was frustrating seeing apps crash over and over, my phone crashing a few times, having to research if certain apps would run using Gingerbread, and having to configure apps a certain way to make them launch properly. Something else that made for an odd experience was simple settings or functions that were embedded deep in a menu. Also there is no uniformity between apps (settings, how it is launched, how to access, where it resides).

I do admit, Android OS is a beast. It has great things about it, widgets was just the thing that really stood out. But when it does come to a user friendly product (not from a tech point of view either) Apple really does dominate. And it really does trump the interesting things I saw so far in Android OS. Down the line if Apple doesn't progress iOS enough (years from now) and Android OS gets more stable, I admit I would start wanting an Android phone... possibly.

dukeblue91
Feb 26, 2012, 09:58 PM
I would love to have something in the size of the Note cause as I'm getting older my eyes strain a little more.

But then I think about my iPhone, iPad and iOS and my Macs and how everything works all together in harmony and is and has been getting better every year.

So I decided I'm staying with Apple and hope that the rumors about the iPhone 5 being bigger are true.

cynics
Feb 26, 2012, 10:12 PM
I held a Note in the store the other day. OMFG, that thing is huge. This whole giant phone thing is out of control. I get the engineering need for the 4.3" screen to hide the battery necessary for LTE radios (DROID RAZR MAXX), but anything bigger is just ridiculous. The standard was 3.2" then 3.7", then 4.0", then 4.3", now 4.7"??? This is INSANE.

Keep in mind the first 4.3 inch screen phones were not LTE. They were introduced for the consumers desire for a larger screen. I can't comment on larger but if that's what some people want then that's what some people want.

jojoba
Feb 27, 2012, 04:56 AM
I'm an Android user with a pretty strong want for an iPhone (especially because I recently got both an iPad and an MBA and I really love both), but the one and only thing that keeps me with Android is the SwiftKey app. The keyboard on iPhone/iPad is really pretty bad compared to what that app can do for an Android phone. Typing is 80% faster and I'm not willing to give up on that.

e˛Studios
Feb 27, 2012, 09:05 AM
I love Android, my Xoom tablet is stable and performs very well. However my HTC Inspire 4G while having the power of Android behind it has been nothing short of frustrating and painful. I get 3-4 system freezes and/or random reboots a day, I have apps that consistently crash or lag the phone to a halt (Handcent being the worst with that).

I won't be replacing my tablet anytime soon, but I grew rather frustrated with my phone. I ended up buying a iPhone 4 off a member here last night. It kinda amuses me that I've went from a iPhone 4, to the HTC, and now back to the iPhone 4. I figure this can hold me over till whenever the new phones come out.

I love the flexibility and freedom that Android offers, but with a phone I just need something that works and I don't have to worry about it freezing or randomly rebooting when I needed to use it. I will however miss being on the HSPA+ network, not sure how much of a difference I will notice.

Doombringer
Feb 27, 2012, 11:01 AM
I'm a current Android user, and I'm looking to go to an iPhone. In fact, each day I have to stop myself from going to the VZW store and swapping out. ;) I keep telling myself, wait for the iPhone 5...

I have a DroidX. It's a fine device, really... I'm not a power user, so I have a handful of apps I rely on and mainly use it for GPS and calls. My main reason for switching is the fact that I have an older iPod Touch and all my music in iTunes, and I really want to consolidate on one device and move to iTunes Match. I also have a Mac Mini and would really like to sync up all my contacts, calendar, email, etc...

If I were a Google fan who lived and breathed Gmail and such, Android would remain an ideal choice. But I'm not.

cotak
Feb 27, 2012, 12:17 PM
I'm a current Android user, and I'm looking to go to an iPhone. In fact, each day I have to stop myself from going to the VZW store and swapping out. ;) I keep telling myself, wait for the iPhone 5...

I have a DroidX. It's a fine device, really... I'm not a power user, so I have a handful of apps I rely on and mainly use it for GPS and calls. My main reason for switching is the fact that I have an older iPod Touch and all my music in iTunes, and I really want to consolidate on one device and move to iTunes Match. I also have a Mac Mini and would really like to sync up all my contacts, calendar, email, etc...

If I were a Google fan who lived and breathed Gmail and such, Android would remain an ideal choice. But I'm not.

You realized you can get your music from itunes to android as long as they are DRM free? Just FYI. As for calender email etc it all works too.

onthecouchagain
Feb 27, 2012, 12:24 PM
I'm an Android user with a pretty strong want for an iPhone (especially because I recently got both an iPad and an MBA and I really love both), but the one and only thing that keeps me with Android is the SwiftKey app. The keyboard on iPhone/iPad is really pretty bad compared to what that app can do for an Android phone. Typing is 80% faster and I'm not willing to give up on that.

This is probably the biggest reason why I gave up the iPhone 4. Its keyboard simply could not keep up. I email and text a lot, and type/thumb pretty fast. It was a nightmare. So many unregistered taps resulting in typos...

And there's no other keyboard option or input method besides dictation, which isn't always practical nor private enough.

BiggAW
Feb 27, 2012, 06:06 PM
Keep in mind the first 4.3 inch screen phones were not LTE. They were introduced for the consumers desire for a larger screen. I can't comment on larger but if that's what some people want then that's what some people want.

But at the time, they weren't being forced on users. They also weren't the primary lines. When the DROID X came out, the DROID 2 was the top Android phone with a 3.7" screen. It wasn't until DROID BIONIC that the top phone on the market was a 4.3", and after that everything was 4.3 or bigger on the high end.

jojoba
Mar 4, 2012, 05:12 AM
This is probably the biggest reason why I gave up the iPhone 4. Its keyboard simply could not keep up. I email and text a lot, and type/thumb pretty fast. It was a nightmare. So many unregistered taps resulting in typos...

And there's no other keyboard option or input method besides dictation, which isn't always practical nor private enough.

It's strange, don't you think? Apple has such high quality products so I'm just puzzled as to why the keyboard isn't better.

iErick
Mar 4, 2012, 10:19 AM
I have no desire to even try android.

jbennardo
Mar 4, 2012, 10:24 AM
From the little bit of testing in stores, I have no desire at all to try Android. I'm very happy with iOS and how all of my iDevices work together.

BiggAW
Mar 4, 2012, 11:02 AM
It's strange, don't you think? Apple has such high quality products so I'm just puzzled as to why the keyboard isn't better.

I've found the keyboard to be as good or better than those on various Android phones... I still like physical keys, but after DROID 2, the end of the physical keys era came upon us, and no flagship phone thereafter has had a physical 'board.

MisterCoque
Mar 4, 2012, 11:20 AM
Have an iPhone 4 and also a samsung galaxy s2.... And i'm very happy about Android

bobTX10
Mar 4, 2012, 12:59 PM
I have an iPad, iPod and EVO 4g as my phone. I don't choose one or the other. Why not have both I say?:D best of both worlds. As a tablet and music player, I think apple made some truly amazing products! I use my iPad everyday and my iPod for all my music listening.

But, for a phone I think that's where I draw the line. Android has just been to good to me. The widgets, the ridiculous customizations that I can do. IOS is just too boring. It's the safe, efficient way to do things. Android is more out of the box and that's how I like it. Yes there are stutters and crashes but I know all phones go through that.

sixteen12
Mar 4, 2012, 01:30 PM
I switched from my 3G to Galaxy S, to Desire HD to Galaxy S 2. The only one I was satisfied with was the GS2, but it wasn't the performance I knew I had even with my 3G. So I went out and sold my GS2 and got a 4S used.

Android has some interesting uses, it has somethings that I prefer over my iPhone, but overall I much prefer my iPhone. I spend time with my phone aiding my hobbies rather than tinkering with a phone being a hobby. Constantly flashing a rom for peak performance became tedious to me and I just like how iOS works for me.

I own a Xoom still, but I think I'll give it to my sisters and buy an iPad 3.

cotak
Mar 4, 2012, 01:40 PM
I find it funny how there are many people who say they don't want to try something different. I am completely opposite I want to try everything. Not the soup or salad kind of person, I want both LOL.

Vegastouch
Mar 4, 2012, 02:08 PM

No, the standard was about 2.5" and the the iPhone came out with their 3.5" and it made everyone think it was great because it was bigger than everything else, and it was great because of that. They just havent made it bigger since and everyone else has but the iPhone was the first that i recall that had a 3.5" screen and why i got one.

Even when the first Android G1 came out , it was a 3.2" screen. They have evolved into what the people want and Apple hasnt.

fullmanfullninj
Mar 4, 2012, 02:15 PM
Gotta admit, around December 2011, some of my friends got the Samsung Galaxy Nexus with ICS...I wanted one kind of :P

I've had an Android phone along with my iPhone and currently have a Touchpad running Android. It's all right. I still do prefer my iPhone though. The one thing about Android I personally don't prefer is all those homescreens. I don't need all these widgets to tell me the weather and what my Facebook friends' statuses are (although I DO have lockinfo on my iPhone, but it's not really a "widget"). I found that I really don't have anything to put on those homescreens other than a few frequently used apps.

To each their own, however!

cynics
Mar 4, 2012, 03:10 PM
I've found the keyboard to be as good or better than those on various Android phones... I still like physical keys, but after DROID 2, the end of the physical keys era came upon us, and no flagship phone thereafter has had a physical 'board.

Droid 4?

lordofthereef
Mar 4, 2012, 03:48 PM
Droid 4?

That's not a flagship phone IMO. I haven't even seen an ad for the thing.

----------

I've had an Android phone along with my iPhone and currently have a Touchpad running Android. It's all right. I still do prefer my iPhone though.

I urge you not to judge your Android experience on alpha releases of CM9 ICS. Granted, they are very good, but there is still a lot left to be desired in terms of getting the kinks worked out of the build. :)

cynics
Mar 4, 2012, 04:17 PM
That's not a flagship phone IMO. I haven't even seen an ad for the thing.

----------

I urge you not to judge your Android experience on alpha releases of CM9 ICS. Granted, they are very good, but there is still a lot left to be desired in terms of getting the kinks worked out of the build. :)

Maybe not flagship in terms of marketing but it's a razr with a physical keyboard. So it has the specs.

PacificBeach
Mar 4, 2012, 04:46 PM
I came from 2 Android phones (Hero and Evo 4G) so I can certainly say no. I have 30GB of music in my iTunes, and I absolutely love having all of that music with me in my pocket. I was not about to start managing music manually on an Android, and doubletwist did not work well as a substitute.

why not Just use Google Music on the Galaxy Nexus, All my music in the cloud at all times, i can even pinn music locally to my device. Works much better than icloud and my iphone 4. As google music backs up all music no matter WHERE I GOT THE MUSIC FROM :)

ugahairydawgs
Mar 4, 2012, 04:49 PM
why not Just use Google Music on the Galaxy Nexus, All my music in the cloud at all times, i can even pinn music locally to my device. Works much better than icloud and my iphone 4. As google music backs up all music no matter WHERE I GOT THE MUSIC FROM :)

So does iTunes Match...in a fraction of the time.

PacificBeach
Mar 4, 2012, 05:21 PM
So does iTunes Match...in a fraction of the time.

Google Music is FREE, itunes match is not! itunes match is 24.99 a year!

flyguy206
Mar 4, 2012, 05:31 PM

25$ is nothing for a faster service

Sdahe
Mar 4, 2012, 05:41 PM
No matter what I've said before about never getting an Android phone... this past week I've been tempted to get a Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket... in white... I went to the ATT store and had it in my arms for a few minutes and wanted to get it home for a while. For some reason I think I'll regret it and come back to my iPhone 4S later on...

ugahairydawgs
Mar 4, 2012, 05:43 PM

A Kia is cheaper than a Mercedes. Doesnt make it a better car.

PacificBeach
Mar 4, 2012, 06:05 PM
A Kia is cheaper than a Mercedes. Doesnt make it a better car.

DUDE STOP u FAIL.
GOOGLE MUSIC IS MUCH BETTER! It just is !
I can play my google music from any machine with internet connection.

iSayuSay
Mar 4, 2012, 06:19 PM
Android is no slouch either. Of course I have a little "want" in me to get an Android. ICS is a nice upgrade to be honest.

But then again, Android today is a complete mess, so many OEMs, so many utter crap UI skins, so many models each month, so little great phone among them. The only way to enjoy REAL Android is get the Nexus line. But then again I don't like the way Galaxy Nexus S looks, even way since the original Nexus. Way too curvy, and I just can't like it. Tried that, and failed. Sorry Google :(

Maybe Samsung deliberately designed it to look awful so it doesn't eat up Samsung's own Galaxy line

yeah
Mar 4, 2012, 06:20 PM
but it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Giggity :D

thenerdal
Mar 4, 2012, 06:27 PM
Android is no slouch either. Of course I have a little "want" in me to get an Android. ICS is a nice upgrade to be honest.

But then again, Android today is a complete mess, so many OEMs, so many utter crap UI skins, so many models each month, so little great phone among them. The only way to enjoy REAL Android is get the Nexus line. But then again I don't like the way Galaxy Nexus S looks, even way since the original Nexus. Way too curvy, and I just can't like it. Tried that, and failed. Sorry Google :(

Maybe Samsung deliberately designed it to look awful so it doesn't eat up Samsung's own Galaxy line

Android is an OS. So it doesn't have anything to do with the OEM's or the UI Skins, or the many models each month.

I personally like the look of the Galaxy Nexus.

Sdahe
Mar 4, 2012, 06:30 PM

I kind of think like you..

----------

The only Android I like it's the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket in white... not black... just the white one. Looks very nice and sexy.. hahaha

Rennir
Mar 4, 2012, 06:32 PM

I think Sense and TouchWiz are pretty good from what I've seen and heard from other Android users. Haven't used either before though. And I agree with your last point. While Samsung may make the best Android phones (IMO), they are lacking in the design component. The phones feel too flimsy because they're excessively light. I'd prefer the design/hardware of a high-end HTC phone combined with the software of a Samsung phone :)

ChubZ
Mar 4, 2012, 06:32 PM
i ended up adding a line to my verizon account and picked up the Galaxy Nexus. Outside of the 5mp camera, it's really a solid phone. If it had an 8mp camera it would be considered as the best phone out there right now

iSayuSay
Mar 4, 2012, 06:36 PM
Android is an OS. So it doesn't have anything to do with the OEM's or the UI Skins, or the many models each month.

I personally like the look of the Galaxy Nexus.

Yes I understand Android is an OS, Google never asks for so many OEM, UI skins and many models.

But Google make it too easy to modify, and it's free to use, no rules, no minimum spec, which in effect so many OEM use them on so many touchscreen junkie phone (and a really really few good ones). And also the updates are usually super slow. ICS has been released for how many months now? And how many Android phone that can OFFICIALLY enjoy it?

Personally I'd like to try a phone that looks like iPhone build quality and look-wise (no MIC cheap @ss clone of course) and have ICS on it, with no UI skins!.

thenerdal
Mar 4, 2012, 06:50 PM
Yes I understand Android is an OS, Google never asks for so many OEM, UI skins and many models.

But Google make it too easy to modify, and it's free to use, no rules, no minimum spec, which in effect so many OEM use them on so many touchscreen junkie phone (and a really really few good ones). And also the updates are usually super slow. ICS has been released for how many months now? And how many Android phone that can OFFICIALLY enjoy it?

Personally I'd like to try a phone that looks like iPhone build quality and look-wise (no MIC cheap @ss clone of course) and have ICS on it, with no UI skins!.

I agree about the updates are super slow. :/

HTC does have great build quality though.

Sdahe
Mar 4, 2012, 08:21 PM
One of the things I really don't like about the Android phones is the screen colors. I find them extremely saturated. I’m a photographer and I usually use my iPhone to show my work to my clients… I think I’ll have a hard time getting the colors right in an Android Phone.

RolandNights
Mar 4, 2012, 08:32 PM
If it ever comes out (or gets updated), i'd try an ICS Samsung Galaxy Player. I'm interested in the phones, specifically the Galaxy Nexus and Note, but not enough to get locked into a contract for.

Vegastouch
Mar 4, 2012, 08:32 PM

Thats not true. You can root your phone in about 10 seconds and then download Titanium Backup in the market and delete all the bloatware you dont want. Then unroot the phone if you want. However, keeping the phone rooted has its advantages.
There are apps that work only on rooted phones like Ad Free..which gets rid of the ads on free versions of like Plume(twitter app) and Album Art Grabber...to name a couple.

Having the phone in root mode doesnt make it run any different. It just gives YOU permission to access your files in your phone and you can use the app Root explorer for something else equivelent. But, if you want to unroot it, it takes another 10 seconds.

Sdahe
Mar 4, 2012, 08:58 PM
I'm really thinking about the Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket....

Nand
Mar 4, 2012, 09:42 PM

Buy one cheap in clasificados and try it for some time.
And keep your 4s ( por ciaca).

ayeying
Mar 4, 2012, 10:25 PM
Not an Android... a Windows Phone... :eek:

rjohnstone
Mar 4, 2012, 11:12 PM

Picked one up 2 weeks ago and love it.
Fast as hell and I have yet to see any lag.
Very responsive.

davidlw
Mar 4, 2012, 11:17 PM
Been there, done that, don't do it. End of story.

moldy lunchbox
Mar 5, 2012, 02:13 AM
My 11 year-old sister has a Samsung Infuse 4G Android phone...i'll just snatch it from her when I want to make a comparison :D

BiggAW
Mar 5, 2012, 10:33 AM
No, the standard was about 2.5" and the the iPhone came out with their 3.5" and it made everyone think it was great because it was bigger than everything else, and it was great because of that. They just havent made it bigger since and everyone else has but the iPhone was the first that i recall that had a 3.5" screen and why i got one.

Even when the first Android G1 came out , it was a 3.2" screen. They have evolved into what the people want and Apple hasnt.

I'm talking about Android. Apple has stuck with what's right, not what looks cool in an ad, but doesn't actually work well in real life. 3.5" is the best size.

----------

Droid 4?

It's not a flagship device. They made a conscious split to more battery life with the DROID RAZR MAXX, and the physical 'board with the DROID 4, and even though the DROID 4 has the world's best physical keyboard on a phone, it doesn't have the battery life of the DROID RAZR MAXX, which is what matters in a 4G LTE world.

Verizon is sending a clear message that the physical 'board is a piece of history. I wish there was a DROID 4 MAXX that combined it all, but at this point, the market has gotten so used to virtual boards that they don't mind the loss.

rjohnstone
Mar 5, 2012, 10:38 AM
I'm talking about Android. Apple has stuck with what's right, not what looks cool in an ad, but doesn't actually work well in real life. 3.5" is the best size.

What you're stating is opinion, not fact.

3.5" is fine for some, not all.

If I have to look at an iPhone screen for more than 5 minutes at a time, I get a headache. It's too small for ME.
The 4.5" screen on my GS2 is perfect for ME.
This is one of the many reasons why I switched from and iPhone to a GS2.

ugahairydawgs
Mar 5, 2012, 10:39 AM

So what happens to your world view if the next gen iPhone comes in at 4.3" - 4.7"?

To say that anything over 3.5" is just marketing fodder is a fairly ridiculous statement.

Sdahe
Mar 5, 2012, 01:08 PM
Buy one cheap in clasificados and try it for some time.
And keep your 4s ( por ciaca).

Esa es buena... Good idea!!!

westbroek
Mar 5, 2012, 01:15 PM
Not at all

BiggAW
Mar 5, 2012, 06:28 PM
So what happens to your world view if the next gen iPhone comes in at 4.3" - 4.7"?

To say that anything over 3.5" is just marketing fodder is a fairly ridiculous statement.

Pray that Apple keeps releasing software updates for the 4S, and that AT&T's HSPA+ network keeps holding up.

After that, I don't know. I love the physical size/feel of the Optimus series, and it will surely have successors, but I need a high-end device and a high-resolution screen.

I'll probably have to deal with a brick of an ugly phone at some point, but at least I'm good for a few years with the 4S. I'm not vehemently against a 4" device, the SGS was OK, but bigger than that is a stretch. 4.3" would be my extreme limit, and only for something completely insanely awesome like the DROID RAZR MAXX with Verizon 4G LTE.

----------

What you're stating is opinion, not fact.

3.5" is fine for some, not all.

If I have to look at an iPhone screen for more than 5 minutes at a time, I get a headache. It's too small for ME.
The 4.5" screen on my GS2 is perfect for ME.
This is one of the many reasons why I switched from and iPhone to a GS2.

3.5-3.7" is the one right size for a phone. The Android phones have put bigger screens on to dazzle people or hide the big batteries for Verizon 4G LTE, but in day to day use, 3.5-3.7" is ideal, relative to a normal-to-large sized adult human hand.

JAT
Mar 5, 2012, 06:30 PM
DUDE STOP u FAIL.
GOOGLE MUSIC IS MUCH BETTER! It just is !
I can play my google music from any machine with internet connection.
Why? You make it sound like you want to go around randomly signing in your account to everybody's phone and computer, maybe bluray player.

cynics
Mar 5, 2012, 06:46 PM

----------

It's not a flagship device. They made a conscious split to more battery life with the DROID RAZR MAXX, and the physical 'board with the DROID 4, and even though the DROID 4 has the world's best physical keyboard on a phone, it doesn't have the battery life of the DROID RAZR MAXX, which is what matters in a 4G LTE world.

Verizon is sending a clear message that the physical 'board is a piece of history. I wish there was a DROID 4 MAXX that combined it all, but at this point, the market has gotten so used to virtual boards that they don't mind the loss.

Meh, it doesn't get the battery life of the Maxx yes but I still got the same battery life out of my Razr then I do with my current 4s. Sure even more would be better but its bigger, half of this thread people talking about phone getting too big as it is.

Lindenhurst
Mar 5, 2012, 07:09 PM
Pray that Apple keeps releasing software updates for the 4S, and that AT&T's HSPA+ network keeps holding up.

After that, I don't know. I love the physical size/feel of the Optimus series, and it will surely have successors, but I need a high-end device and a high-resolution screen.

I'll probably have to deal with a brick of an ugly phone at some point, but at least I'm good for a few years with the 4S. I'm not vehemently against a 4" device, the SGS was OK, but bigger than that is a stretch. 4.3" would be my extreme limit, and only for something completely insanely awesome like the DROID RAZR MAXX with Verizon 4G LTE.

----------

3.5-3.7" is the one right size for a phone. The Android phones have put bigger screens on to dazzle people or hide the big batteries for Verizon 4G LTE, but in day to day use, 3.5-3.7" is ideal, relative to a normal-to-large sized adult human hand.

And dazzle they do. Thats the only reason I switched from IP4 to Galaxy Note..for the large screen. No other reason at all. And the surprising thing is that the Note is an awesome device. Heck...I too was an Apple fan that thought everything else was junk...before I found out for myself.

If Apple comes out with a screen larger than the mini one they have now, I would consider coming back, otherwise I'm history.
And don't call me an Apple hater because my home is filled with all things Apple. After 2 weeks with the Note, I couldn't imagine using an IP4 again, purely because of the screen size. I do miss IOS, but ANdroid works just fine for me.
The only reason Apple won't make a 5" screen is because it would put a dent in their Ipad sales. For me the 5.3" screen on my Note is awesome but it is not an Ipad replacement, but for many it probably is. Samsung had nothing to lose by making the device. No one buys their tablets anyway.

As much as a visionary as Steve was, I think his major downfall was that he truly believed that he knew what was best. Obviously that wasn't the case.

No doubt that 5" is too large for many, but if Apple came out with at least a 4.3" or 4.5" screen, the defection to Android over screen size would probably stop asap. I wouldn't have looked elsewhere, and because we just upgraded to 3 Samsung Galaxy Notes in my home , thats 3 less Iphones sold.
I know that it seems that there are many that have switched to the "other side" and they come back to this forum and talk down Apple Iphone, but there really are many that enjoy their Android phones, but would have preferred to stay with Apple if the darn screen was a bit bigger.

Oh well..maybe Apple will "wow" us this summer! They sure didn't last summer.

nuckinfutz
Mar 5, 2012, 07:14 PM
Yup sometimes I want malware on my phone like Android but sadly that's a wish that will remain unfulfilled.

cynics
Mar 5, 2012, 08:31 PM
Yup sometimes I want malware on my phone like Android but sadly that's a wish that will remain unfulfilled.

Don't let Charlie Miller know there can't be malware in ios. He'd be upset to have been kicked from apple development program and all his apps pulled for showing the exploit that didnt exist.

rjohnstone
Mar 5, 2012, 09:25 PM

Again... your opinion.
Millions of people, myself included, disagree with your opinion.

I'm on AT&T's LTE network all day long and my battery life is no different than my iPhone.
I still have 20-30% left when I go to bed at night.

DroidRules
Mar 5, 2012, 09:34 PM
No.

BiggAW
Mar 5, 2012, 09:47 PM
And dazzle they do. Thats the only reason I switched from IP4 to Galaxy Note..for the large screen. No other reason at all. And the surprising thing is that the Note is an awesome device. Heck...I too was an Apple fan that thought everything else was junk...before I found out for myself.

If Apple comes out with a screen larger than the mini one they have now, I would consider coming back, otherwise I'm history.
And don't call me an Apple hater because my home is filled with all things Apple. After 2 weeks with the Note, I couldn't imagine using an IP4 again, purely because of the screen size. I do miss IOS, but ANdroid works just fine for me.
The only reason Apple won't make a 5" screen is because it would put a dent in their Ipad sales. For me the 5.3" screen on my Note is awesome but it is not an Ipad replacement, but for many it probably is. Samsung had nothing to lose by making the device. No one buys their tablets anyway.

As much as a visionary as Steve was, I think his major downfall was that he truly believed that he knew what was best. Obviously that wasn't the case.

No doubt that 5" is too large for many, but if Apple came out with at least a 4.3" or 4.5" screen, the defection to Android over screen size would probably stop asap. I wouldn't have looked elsewhere, and because we just upgraded to 3 Samsung Galaxy Notes in my home , thats 3 less Iphones sold.
I know that it seems that there are many that have switched to the "other side" and they come back to this forum and talk down Apple Iphone, but there really are many that enjoy their Android phones, but would have preferred to stay with Apple if the darn screen was a bit bigger.

Oh well..maybe Apple will "wow" us this summer! They sure didn't last summer.

The GNote belong in a Circus freak show. The thing is ginormous, and anyone making a call on it looks like a freak. It's also nearly impossible to use due to it's gimongous size. Past 4", it's hard to reach the other side of the screen with one hand, at 5.3", it's completely hopeless. At 3.5", it's downright easy.

There is no mass defection... the mass switchover is Verizon DROID users getting iPhones... I honestly have no clue why given that Verizon has invested billions in their 4G LTE network that's running in that nice juicy 22mhz lower-48-contiguous upper C block, but that is what's happening.

I think Apple realizes that our hands aren't the size of sasquatch's, that's why they wouldn't do a 5.3" device. They also don't make circus freakshow devices, Samsung will make anything. They have like 50 different devices with every possible dimension and form factor. Their build quality is also pretty bad, although I think it has gotten a little better since the original SGS.

Apple doesn't want to, and doesn't need to, compete with the circus freak show. They may be forced to go to 4 or 4.3" to accommodate the LTE antennas, radios, and additional battery capacity, but that's a necessary evil, since no LTE = no Verizon, as well as a lot of lost sales even if Verizon still allowed non-4G smart devices.

----------

Again... your opinion.
Millions of people, myself included, disagree with your opinion.

I'm on AT&T's LTE network all day long and my battery life is no different than my iPhone.
I still have 20-30% left when I go to bed at night.

What phone do you have?

thenerdal
Mar 5, 2012, 10:03 PM
The GNote belong in a Circus freak show. The thing is ginormous, and anyone making a call on it looks like a freak. It's also nearly impossible to use due to it's gimongous size. Past 4", it's hard to reach the other side of the screen with one hand, at 5.3", it's completely hopeless. At 3.5", it's downright easy.

There is no mass defection... the mass switchover is Verizon DROID users getting iPhones... I honestly have no clue why given that Verizon has invested billions in their 4G LTE network that's running in that nice juicy 22mhz lower-48-contiguous upper C block, but that is what's happening.

I think Apple realizes that our hands aren't the size of sasquatch's, that's why they wouldn't do a 5.3" device. They also don't make circus freakshow devices, Samsung will make anything. They have like 50 different devices with every possible dimension and form factor. Their build quality is also pretty bad, although I think it has gotten a little better since the original SGS.

Apple doesn't want to, and doesn't need to, compete with the circus freak show. They may be forced to go to 4 or 4.3" to accommodate the LTE antennas, radios, and additional battery capacity, but that's a necessary evil, since no LTE = no Verizon, as well as a lot of lost sales even if Verizon still allowed non-4G smart devices.[COLOR="#808080"]

There is a reason why the Galaxy Note has a huge screen. Because it's a tablet and a phone.

Reach9
Mar 5, 2012, 10:07 PM
I use Dreamboard on my 4S, so whenever i have that "need" (which isn't there anymore) I would switch to the Android theme.

Vegastouch
Mar 5, 2012, 10:33 PM

Apple doesn't want to, and doesn't need to, compete with the circus freak show. They may be forced to go to 4 or 4.3" to accommodate the LTE antennas, radios, and additional battery capacity, but that's a necessary evil, since no LTE = no Verizon, as well as a lot of lost sales even if Verizon still allowed non-4G smart devices.

----------

What phone do you have?

That would be competing now wouldnt it? :rolleyes:

You keep saying one thing and then turning back to something else. So what if Samsung makes a bunch of different devices. If Apple had more than one, they certainly would sell more of them.
I really dont see why your rambling on about that. Its like you just care that Apple is #1. If your preference isnt a bigger screen, great. More want a bigger screen than not and Samsung gives variety and different things to choose from. Freak show or not, people are buying the Note and seem to really like them.
I dont see anything wrong with that, but then, i dont care if Apple is #1 or not. They make great stuff too, just not enough variety.

rjohnstone
Mar 5, 2012, 11:00 PM
What phone do you have?

I have the Skyrocket.
4.52" screen that fits my hand perfectly.

jojoba
Mar 6, 2012, 03:42 AM

Oh I didn't mean physical keys, just the predictive power of the keyboard. I don't have a physical keyboard on my android. The swiftkey app is what makes the difference.

Shanekarpi251
Mar 6, 2012, 09:33 AM
I'm currently opposite because I already own a Galaxy S1 and I want to play around with iPhones more and possibly buy one sometime in the near future. I do debate a lot on getting the GS2 because it's a really nice phone but I want something new not just eye catching.

h1r0ll3r
Mar 6, 2012, 09:37 AM
iPhone is perfect for me however I've been hankering for one of those Samsung Galaxy Note phones.

Wide opeN
Mar 6, 2012, 10:38 AM
I'm indulging in all things Apple and have no desire to move. I honestly didn't really care about what phone I had until I got an iPhone.

This describes me too!!!

chakraj
Mar 6, 2012, 10:44 AM

----------

You are wrong. 2 inches is the perfect size for a phone screen. You can still read all of your stuff, you can go to any web site, it fits in your pocket and its easy to use with one hand. Anything bigger than 2 inches on a phone screen is just a waste.

DerekRod
Mar 6, 2012, 11:47 AM
Who cares about Android.Droid is sooooo last year I have a hankering to try out WP7 the Lumia phones look beautiful

BiggAW
Mar 6, 2012, 02:55 PM
There is a reason why the Galaxy Note has a huge screen. Because it's a tablet and a phone.

Yeah, but you still have to use it as your phone. Reminds me of those videos of the guy with the 4-foot long brick phone that yells "HAAALLLOOOO" in a British accent and annoys everyone around him. You'd look absurd talking on one in public. An iPhone looks pretty normal.

AT&T decided to go out on a limb because they probably saw the original Notes showing up on the network, and figured they could nab a niche market, and cash in on the tablet over-hype.

That would be competing now wouldnt it? :rolleyes:

You keep saying one thing and then turning back to something else. So what if Samsung makes a bunch of different devices. If Apple had more than one, they certainly would sell more of them.
I really dont see why your rambling on about that. Its like you just care that Apple is #1. If your preference isnt a bigger screen, great. More want a bigger screen than not and Samsung gives variety and different things to choose from. Freak show or not, people are buying the Note and seem to really like them.
I dont see anything wrong with that, but then, i dont care if Apple is #1 or not. They make great stuff too, just not enough variety.

I really don't care if Apple is #1. Frankly, I'd like to see strong competition from Android to keep the market honest, and offer smart devices to people who don't want a big contract or a a big carrier.

You clearly didn't comprehend my post. I said that Apple wouldn't compete with the freak show (5.3"). I said they might be forced to go up to 4 or 4.3" for the LTE and battery, but that's on the large end of things, not anywhere close to freak show category like the Note. Good for Samsung I guess, it doesn't make that device any less of an absurdly freakish device.

I have the Skyrocket.
4.52" screen that fits my hand perfectly.

I'm surprised you can stretch the battery life out all day. You must be a very, very large-boned person. I'm a big guy, and 4.3" is pushing it in my hands.

Oh I didn't mean physical keys, just the predictive power of the keyboard. I don't have a physical keyboard on my android. The swiftkey app is what makes the difference.

Oh gotcha, ability to install 3rd party keyboards. Yeah, that is a big advantage on Android. I honestly found that the stock Android board was the easiest to use, but if you're willing to go through the learning curve/ period for Swiftkey or Swype, they could easily be faster.

Who cares about Android.Droid is sooooo last year I have a hankering to try out WP7 the Lumia phones look beautiful

Have fun with all 5 apps that are on WM7.

rjohnstone
Mar 6, 2012, 03:40 PM
I'm surprised you can stretch the battery life out all day. You must be a very, very large-boned person. I'm a big guy, and 4.3" is pushing it in my hands.

Sorry to burst your excuse bubble again... normal bone structure here.
Perhaps you just have more feminine hands than most. ;)

As for the battery... nothing to stretch. I forgot to plug in the charger on more than one occasion over nite and still had 15-20% battery in the morning.
The phone has fantastic power management capabilities.

AT&T's LTE network is better thought out than Verizon's LTE network.
The phone doesn't spend half the day flipping back and forth between 3G and LTE like Verizon LTE phones do.

I've only seen the phone lose the LTE signal twice since I've purchased it.
One time I was fishing... I was out in the middle of nowhere. Phone calls still worked... no data.
The other was in the basement of our data center. It's RF shielded.
We only have repeaters for voice service in there, no data.

Hunting for a signal kills a cell battery faster than most other activities.

Have fun with all 5 apps that are on WM7.
A quick check shows 50,000 apps and growing daily. ;)

Just embrace you Apple fanboism and admit you are under the influence of the RDF.
It's a lot better than making baseless arguments that are easily dispelled.

EngageWithRage
Mar 6, 2012, 03:43 PM
Nope, never been a fan of the Droid OS...any features that come with Android that I would want on my iPhone are now there due to the Jailbreak.

rjohnstone
Mar 6, 2012, 05:48 PM
Here is my Skyrocket and my 3GS.
Little size comparison if you will.

Not that huge of a difference in ones hand.
The Skyrocket is thinner but marginally wider.
The biggest difference is the height, but even that isn't significant.

Sorry for the picture quality... it was taken with my Samsung Focus. Not the greatest camera, but sufficient.

BiggAW
Mar 6, 2012, 05:58 PM
Sorry to burst your excuse bubble again... normal bone structure here.
Perhaps you just have more feminine hands than most. ;)

As for the battery... nothing to stretch. I forgot to plug in the charger on more than one occasion over nite and still had 15-20% battery in the morning.
The phone has fantastic power management capabilities.

AT&T's LTE network is better thought out than Verizon's LTE network.
The phone doesn't spend half the day flipping back and forth between 3G and LTE like Verizon LTE phones do.

I've only seen the phone lose the LTE signal twice since I've purchased it.
One time I was fishing... I was out in the middle of nowhere. Phone calls still worked... no data.
The other was in the basement of our data center. It's RF shielded.
We only have repeaters for voice service in there, no data.

Hunting for a signal kills a cell battery faster than most other activities.

A quick check shows 50,000 apps and growing daily. ;)

Just embrace you Apple fanboism and admit you are under the influence of the RDF.
It's a lot better than making baseless arguments that are easily dispelled.

Actually, my hands are bigger than average. I've never heard of Verizon LTE phones flipping around. Of course, it's not an issue with AT&T, since their LTE covers almost nowhere yet. :D

You can't only have voice repeaters, if they are 850 or 1900mhz, they would carry HSPA+.

A lot of apps still are only on Android and iOS.

I'm not a rabid fanboy. I am an ex Android user who hardcore trashed the iPhone for years. As the tech geek among my friends, I currently recommend the iPhone to users who are heavily invested in the Mac ecosystem, but I recommend more Android. My current recommendation for Verizon is the DROID RAZR MAXX. I haven't had to do an AT&T Android recommendation lately, I'm honestly not sure what I would recommend, as their Android lineup sucks. Verizon is way ahead. Probably iPhone on AT&T, only for lack of good Android devices. The Atrix 2 is a nice phone, but it's quite dated at this point. If I was on Verizon, I would still be on Android.

rjohnstone
Mar 6, 2012, 06:13 PM
Actually, my hands are bigger than average. I've never heard of Verizon LTE phones flipping around. Of course, it's not an issue with AT&T, since their LTE covers almost nowhere yet.
The Thunderbolt was notorious for doing this. It was always searching for an LTE signal, so many users simply turned LTE off.
As for coverage... AT&T's LTE is everywhere I need it to be, so not an issue. :p

You can't only have voice repeaters, if they are 850 or 1900mhz, they would carry HSPA+.
Yes, you can. It's called a GSM repeater. 850/1900 dual band GSM with no EDGE, UMTS, or (WCDMA)HSPA support. ;)

Every carrier offers them for secure installations.
I'll snap a pic of the repeater tomorrow when I'm at work.
This particular model is not a device you or I could purchase.

My 3GS is used for work (it only does voice and SMS, no MMS). We have secure (heavily filtered and monitored) WiFi in house for any data needs.
You can use an iPhone on an AT&T contract with no data plan when you have as many contract phones as we do.

A lot of apps still are only on Android and iOS.

I'm not a rabid fanboy. I am an ex Android user who hardcore trashed the iPhone for years. As the tech geek among my friends, I currently recommend the iPhone to users who are heavily invested in the Mac ecosystem, but I recommend more Android. My current recommendation for Verizon is the DROID RAZR MAXX. I haven't had to do an AT&T Android recommendation lately, I'm honestly not sure what I would recommend, as their Android lineup sucks. Verizon is way ahead. Probably iPhone on AT&T, only for lack of good Android devices. The Atrix 2 is a nice phone, but it's quite dated at this point. If I was on Verizon, I would still be on Android.
God no... not the Atrix 2. It was a downgrade from the original. It was dated the day it was released.
I sold my Atrix 4G and Lapdock when I got the Skyrocket.

BiggAW
Mar 6, 2012, 10:22 PM
Oh, the repeater is carrier supported. I was thinking like Wilson electronics. What they don't want data going in or out of the datacenter except through their pipes? How did they manage to strip EDGE out of GSM? Or is it actually a small cell tower inside your facility that just doesn't have data channels? What stops someone from bringing in the good old sneaker net? And you can take pictures, but no data connectivity? That's just odd. My work won't allow cameraphones (you have to paint over the camera), but you can stream Pandora all day at your desk (DoD contractor).

I'm not surprised you could get one without data. I'm assuming data block so you don't rack up huge charges?

That's my point. It's a ho-hum device. AT&T's Android lineup is big, but there's still nothing good on it. If I really wanted Android, I'd probably switch for the RAZR MAXX. The i777 has a ridiculous number of ROMs for it, but it's not a particularly exciting device in and of itself. I can't even think of any good NAM unlocked devices to bring onto AT&T that would be that exciting. The Nexus S sort of just for stock ICS and a great form factor, but the hardware is downright elderly. That's how I ended up with an iPhone. I'm very happy with it. If I wasn't open to the iPhone, I'd be rather unhappy with AT&T right now. I am very happy with AT&T with the iPhone.

Verizon's Android lineup also has the allure of 4G LTE in some places, which AT&T doesn't have in any meaningful way.

rjohnstone
Mar 7, 2012, 09:49 AM
Oh, the repeater is carrier supported. I was thinking like Wilson electronics. What they don't want data going in or out of the datacenter except through their pipes? How did they manage to strip EDGE out of GSM? Or is it actually a small cell tower inside your facility that just doesn't have data channels? What stops someone from bringing in the good old sneaker net? And you can take pictures, but no data connectivity? That's just odd. My work won't allow cameraphones (you have to paint over the camera), but you can stream Pandora all day at your desk (DoD contractor).

All data leaving that facility is monitored/filtered. (financial services industry)
There is no WiFi access when you're in the data center itself.
Sensitive areas are monitored via cameras and security staff.
No cameras are allowed in the actual data center either.
If your phone has a camera, security puts it in a locker before you can go inside. Many of us carry cheap paygo type dumb phones when we have to go there. Just swap SIM cards.
The one repeater I can photograph is just outside the doors, so photographing it is not an issue.

Hastings101
Mar 7, 2012, 09:54 AM
Not really lol, it just looks like iOS to me but with more customization options.

Windows Phone is what I get a "want" for, too bad the hardware it's on is under-powered and outdated.

sharpycl
Mar 7, 2012, 10:18 AM

What about you guys?

The only phone I would like to try is the Galaxy Note particularly because of the screen size. However if the next iPhone gets a larger screen than current than the current phones do I won't ever want an Android phone afterwards. Reason why? Future support for devices, and I've never had an iPhone that broke/stopped working/or got glitchy. I don't think I would ever switch from iPhone unless another OS/Manufacturer can achieve the same level of quality in their products that apple has.

ugahairydawgs
Mar 7, 2012, 10:53 AM
The only phone I would like to try is the Galaxy Note particularly because of the screen size. However if the next iPhone gets a larger screen than current than the current phones do I won't ever want an Android phone afterwards. Reason why? Future support for devices, and I've never had an iPhone that broke/stopped working/or got glitchy. I don't think I would ever switch from iPhone unless another OS/Manufacturer can achieve the same level of quality in their products that apple has.

I have been trying out the Galaxy Note. Some of my observations from my first time really taking a hard look at Android. All of what I am saying below is taking into account that I have no interest in rooting the device or loading up custom roms.

1.) Carrier and vendor bloatware is just pathetic. The number of crappy programs on there that you can't get rid of is mind numbing and since it has been a few years since I have had something other than an iPhone it was pretty strange seeing so much bloatware.

2.) More bells and whistles if you are deeply ingrained in the Google ecosystem. The Gmail app is nice (although somewhat offset by the fact that it now exists for iOS as well). The stock Samsung mail app (and I cannot emphasize this enough) sucks scissors. About as un-intuitive as a company could possibly design an app. Oh....and you're stuck with it in the launcher.

3.) The extra screen real estate is great. I never really realized just how cramped the iPhone screen is until I tried something larger for more than just the few minutes I have looked at other devices at various stores. I think 5.3" is pushing it for some people, but something that size with a retina screen running iOS or stock ICS would be pretty great. I still think the mass market sweet spot is somewhere in between 4.3" - 4.5", but if you have bigger mitts the 4.7" and 5.3" devices are really useful. Only downside to the phone is that some of the angles at which you have to hold it make it really easy to inadvertently hit one of the capacitive buttons.

4.) Widgets are cool. Apple needs to figure out a way to integrate them in iOS. Not sure how great they would be on a 3.5" screen, but 4.5" would suit them just fine. Having them on the iPad seems like it would be a no-brainer.

5.) Android (or at least the version of Gingerbread running on the Note) is....quirky. Couple of examples. First, I was coming to this site and logging in with my User ID and password. Started typing in my user name and as soon as I got to ugah and auto-corrected to Uganda. If I kept typing it would eventually let me choose the correct user name from the list, but when it entered it into the field it would leave out the a (i.e., ughairydawgs), so I had to go back and manually enter it. Did it several times in a row...never could figure that out. Second, in the contacts app on the Note it comes with a bunch of generic contact groups pre-loaded (Family, Friends, Co-workers, etc). If you add contacts that are synced with your Google account to those contact groups it does not sync back with your contacts online. If you already have a Family contact group in your Google account it will sync onto the device, but will do so with Unknown as the contact group (since Family is already pre-loaded). You cannot edit or delete those pre-loaded contact groups or merge them with your existing groups.

All in all after a couple of days my experience has been "eh" so far. I had to go back to the AT&T Store last night bto re-activate my iPhone. Need to get the software working right for me before I let it be my daily driver again. Trying to be as open minded with it as possible though. A little tougher than I thought integrating it with all of my other devices, which are all Apple made.

rjohnstone
Mar 7, 2012, 11:02 AM
I have been trying out the Galaxy Note. Some of my observations from my first time really taking a hard look at Android. All of what I am saying below is taking into account that I have no interest in rooting the device or loading up custom roms.

1.) Carrier and vendor bloatware is just pathetic. The number of crappy programs on there that you can't get rid of is mind numbing and since it has been a few years since I have had something other than an iPhone it was pretty strange seeing so much bloatware.

2.) More bells and whistles if you are deeply ingrained in the Google ecosystem. The Gmail app is nice (although somewhat offset by the fact that it now exists for iOS as well). The stock Samsung mail app (and I cannot emphasize this enough) sucks scissors. About as un-intuitive as a company could possibly design an app. Oh....and you're stuck with it in the launcher.

3.) The extra screen real estate is great. I never really realized just how cramped the iPhone screen is until I tried something larger for more than just the few minutes I have looked at other devices at various stores. I think 5.3" is pushing it for some people, but something that size with a retina screen running iOS or stock ICS would be pretty great. I still think the mass market sweet spot is somewhere in between 4.3" - 4.5", but if you have bigger mitts the 4.7" and 5.3" devices are really useful. Only downside to the phone is that some of the angles at which you have to hold it make it really easy to inadvertently hit one of the capacitive buttons.

4.) Widgets are cool. Apple needs to figure out a way to integrate them in iOS. Not sure how great they would be on a 3.5" screen, but 4.5" would suit them just fine. Having them on the iPad seems like it would be a no-brainer.

5.) Android (or at least the version of Gingerbread running on the Note) is....quirky. Couple of examples. First, I was coming to this site and logging in with my User ID and password. Started typing in my user name and as soon as I got to ugah and auto-corrected to Uganda. If I kept typing it would eventually let me choose the correct user name from the list, but when it entered it into the field it would leave out the a (i.e., ughairydawgs), so I had to go back and manually enter it. Did it several times in a row...never could figure that out. Second, in the contacts app on the Note it comes with a bunch of generic contact groups pre-loaded (Family, Friends, Co-workers, etc). If you add contacts that are synced with your Google account to those contact groups it does not sync back with your contacts online. If you already have a Family contact group in your Google account it will sync onto the device, but will do so with Unknown as the contact group (since Family is already pre-loaded). You cannot edit or delete those pre-loaded contact groups or merge them with your existing groups.

All in all after a couple of days my experience has been "eh" so far. I had to go back to the AT&T Store last night bto re-activate my iPhone. Need to get the software working right for me before I let it be my daily driver again. Trying to be as open minded with it as possible though. A little tougher than I thought integrating it with all of my other devices, which are all Apple made.

Yeah.. how will you ever deal with all 5 pieces of AT&T software. :rolleyes:

As for auto-correct... I hate Samsungs keyboard for this very reason... too intrusive.
You can turn it off or switch to the stock keyboard. You have three to choose from right out of the box.

ugahairydawgs
Mar 7, 2012, 11:49 AM
Yeah.. how will you ever deal with all 5 pieces of AT&T software. :rolleyes:

As for auto-correct... I hate Samsungs keyboard for this very reason... too intrusive.
You can turn it off or switch to the stock keyboard. You have three to choose from right out of the box.

Before you roll your eyes too far, here's the list of stuff that is thrown on there..

1 All Share
2. Amazon Kindle (Removable)
3. AT&T Code Scanner (Removable)
4. AT&T Family Map (Removable)
5. AT&T Navigator
6. AT&T Ready2Go
7. Crayon physics
8. Featured Apps
9. Kies air
10. YPmobile
11. Live TV (Removable)
12. Messages (AT&T) (Removable)
13. Mini Diary
14. MyAT&T (Removable)
15. Polaris Office
16. Qik Lite (Removable)
17. Samsung Apps
18. Social Hub

And to me it doesn't matter if it is 5 or 50. I don't want a bunch of add-ons from the carrier or vendor (not factoring in the stuff I don't want that Google puts in there too since Apple makes some apps inherent in iOS as well).

walie
Mar 7, 2012, 11:55 AM
Before you roll your eyes too far, here's the list of stuff that is thrown on there..

1 All Share
5. AT&T Navigator
6. AT&T Ready2Go
7. Crayon physics
8. Featured Apps
9. Kies air
10. YPmobile
11. Live TV (Removable)
13. Mini Diary
14. MyAT&T (Removable)
15. Polaris Office
16. Qik Lite (Removable)
17. Samsung Apps
18. Social Hub

And to me it doesn't matter if it is 5 or 50. I don't want a bunch of add-ons from the carrier or vendor (not factoring in the stuff I don't want that Google puts in there too since Apple makes some apps inherent in iOS as well).

to note, allshare and kies air are amazing apps, not bloatware at all

ugahairydawgs
Mar 7, 2012, 12:36 PM
to note, allshare and kies air are amazing apps, not bloatware at all

Never said they were bad, just don't appreciate AT&T or Samsung loading them on there for me and making it so they can't be taken off.

Rodimus Prime
Mar 7, 2012, 12:53 PM

Just figure I would respond to these 3 points of yours.

Your point 2.) The stock Android Email app is eh at best and honestly the manufacture ones are better than the stock Android email app. There are several 3rd party ones. Also you can remove it from the dock on Touchwize. Just it is not as simple as drag and drop. I did it for my brother on his phone but can not remember exactly how I did it. My phone is the Atrix 4G so I have a different stock launcher. You can always go with one of the many 3rd party launchers out there. I personally use ADW EX for my phone.
Also the iOS gmail app is crap compared to the Gmail app for Android.

5) I am going to point out that is a keyboard issue and honestly the stock gingerbread keyboard sucks and Samsungs stock keyboard while a little better still sucks. Swype which the Note has is pretty good. As for some free keyboards that are good the Go Keyboard is not bad. I personally am a huge Swiftkey fan but that is a paid keyboard but well worth its cost.

Your returning it part it seems you had not gotten over the learning curve of Android yet as it was just to different from what you were used.

ugahairydawgs
Mar 7, 2012, 01:04 PM
Just figure I would respond to these 3 points of yours.

Your point 2.) The stock Android Email app is eh at best and honestly the manufacture ones are better than the stock Android email app. There are several 3rd party ones. Also you can remove it from the dock on Touchwize. Just it is not as simple as drag and drop. I did it for my brother on his phone but can not remember exactly how I did it. My phone is the Atrix 4G so I have a different stock launcher. You can always go with one of the many 3rd party launchers out there. I personally use ADW EX for my phone.
Also the iOS gmail app is crap compared to the Gmail app for Android.

5) I am going to point out that is a keyboard issue and honestly the stock gingerbread keyboard sucks and Samsungs stock keyboard while a little better still sucks. Swype which the Note has is pretty good. As for some free keyboards that are good the Go Keyboard is not bad. I personally am a huge Swiftkey fan but that is a paid keyboard but well worth its cost.

Your returning it part it seems you had not gotten over the learning curve of Android yet as it was just to different from what you were used.

Thanks for the tips....I'll try those out. Still have the Note, just working to get the software like I want it and get comfortable with using it before I have it re-activated. Have about 27 days left to see if I can make it work before my return window runs out.

walie
Mar 7, 2012, 01:16 PM
Never said they were bad, just don't appreciate AT&T or Samsung loading them on there for me and making it so they can't be taken off.

i could say the same for Apple and their Stocks, weather, calculator, and all their other stock apps

Rodimus Prime
Mar 7, 2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the tips....I'll try those out. Still have the Note, just working to get the software like I want it and get comfortable with using it before I have it re-activated. Have about 27 days left to see if I can make it work before my return window runs out.

I know one of the more popular 3rd party email apps is K9. I have played with it but my primary email is gmail so I just went with the Gmail app. I use the stock Motoblur one for my school email as I can tie it into to the schools exchange server pretty easily. I have not tried it with K9 as I removed that off my phone long before I set up my school email address and the school email is pretty limited use. Mostly because a few teachers only send out emails to it.

As for some other launchers to check you there is both the go launcher and ADW as both are free. ADW EX is a paid launcher I can not remember how much it is off the top of my head as I got it during the 10 cent sell from Google.

If you buy the swiftkey keyboard (which I believe is 50 cents right now) there is a good chance you will hate iOS's keyboard afterwards. Big time once it has had time to learn your style of writing and what type of common errors you make. You can speed up its learning your style of writing with having it learn from your email, sms, twitter and facebook but the error learning just takes time.

ugahairydawgs
Mar 7, 2012, 01:25 PM
i could say the same for Apple and their Stocks, weather, calculator, and all their other stock apps

Right...and the same can be said for Google and the apps they load on there, which I said I was leaving off the list since Apple does preload some of their own apps.

The only thing I am talking about here are those put on by either the carrier (AT&T) or the vendor (Samsung).

Rodimus Prime
Mar 7, 2012, 01:36 PM
Right...and the same can be said for Google and the apps they load on there, which I said I was leaving off the list since Apple does preload some of their own apps.

The only thing I am talking about here are those put on by either the carrier (AT&T) or the vendor (Samsung).

to be fair you can uninstall Google's App including the marketplay if you wanted to.
Kies I would not exactly call bloatware in your list as sadly it is kind of needed to connect with a computer (Not that I am a fan of Kies). Air is just another part of it.

Frazzle
Mar 7, 2012, 01:42 PM
The hardware looks really great sometimes. But when you get to hold one, it usually feels plasticky and lo-fi.

Just yesterday my neighbor asked me to do the network setup for a Galaxy. Already a tell-tale sign that the UI isn't simple enough for non-techies.

I played with the device for a while. Sure enough, it's a nice phone. But you can simply tell that it's a generic OS running on generic hardware. Doesn't feel like a wholly great experience. That, and the fact that you get all of the other 'generic' hassles like manufacturers using 'skins' that hinder core OS updates and users therefore having to wait months for bugs to be fixed (if ever).

The whole experience made me realize how important this 'integration' stuff really is. What use is great hardware if the software doesn't know how to use its capabilities? For me, that's the whole Nokia N97 disaster all over again.

Jobs wasn't lying or RDF'ing when he spoke about that. The Mac has always been proof of this and so are the iOS devices.

rjohnstone
Mar 7, 2012, 01:53 PM

1 All Share
5. AT&T Navigator
6. AT&T Ready2Go
7. Crayon physics
8. Featured Apps
9. Kies air
10. YPmobile
11. Live TV (Removable)
13. Mini Diary
14. MyAT&T (Removable)
15. Polaris Office
16. Qik Lite (Removable)
17. Samsung Apps
18. Social Hub

Only 5 of those apps were loaded by AT&T and 3 of the 5 can easily be removed.
The remainder are from Samsung.

All Share is DLNA. Why on earth would you want to remove that?
Kies Air is your sync software. (Think iTunes backup)

The rest can be removed very easily since Samsung doesn't lock their boot loaders.
30 seconds to drop root on the phone and then nuke 'em. Problem solved. ;)

cynics
Mar 7, 2012, 02:04 PM

I have to touch on your point 5. I've never had an issue with androids autocorrect. My normal screen name is CynicX however when I registered to this forum iOS preferred cynics. Now mostly my fault for not checking to make sure all my data is correct. Never had that issue with Samsung android or vanilla android.

The rest of what you mentioned I agree with.

cynics
Mar 7, 2012, 02:15 PM
to be fair you can uninstall Google's App including the marketplay if you wanted to.
Kies I would not exactly call bloatware in your list as sadly it is kind of needed to connect with a computer (Not that I am a fan of Kies). Air is just another part of it.

Sure about that? I have vanilla honeycomb, Motorola gingerbread and vanilla ics and google apps like video and the marketplace cannot be removed. I can with rooting though.

Unless you meant with rooting but we are responding to someone that said w/o root.

walie
Mar 7, 2012, 03:10 PM

in term of the iphone, Apple IS the vendor

----------

All Share is DLNA. Why on earth would you want to remove that?
Kies Air is your sync software. (Think iTunes backup)

You're confusing Kies and Kies Air. Kies is the synching software you install on your computer (which is crap, everything is synched to your google account anyway). Kies Air is an app that lets you access files on the phone, send text messages, view logs through any web broswer over Wifi, no setup or cables required.