Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Just about every phone I have will give a notification of a new text while locked. I know the iphone goes one step further shows a preview and who it's from.

For privacy reasons (work and personal) I might not want people to see who is texting me or what it says. I would like a simple message saying "2 new messages", or "1 missed call" on the lock screen, so I do not have to unlock it every time to check.

How do I do this?

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Just about every phone I have will give a notification of a new text while locked. I know the iphone goes one step further shows a preview and who it's from.

For privacy reasons (work and personal) I might not want people to see who is texting me or what it says. I would like a simple message saying "2 new messages", or "1 missed call" on the lock screen, so I do not have to unlock it every time to check.

How do I do this?

Go into Messages -> "Show Preview" turn that OFF. If you're on iOS 5, go under Notifications -> Messages -> Show Preview -> OFF. Then from now on it'll say something like:

Bob Boberson
(2) Text Message(s)

Instead of:

Bob Boberson
This has a preview! :O
This is a second message! :O

Cheers!

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2011
Even if you turn off show preview, if you have your messages set to be listed in "Notifications", it'll show the details of the message in Notifications. I was messing around with this yesterday and couldn't find a way to make it NOT show the details of the message in Notification Center. The only thing I could think to do was turn Notification Center off. Bummer.

"Show Preview" off just makes the little pop up window say "Text message" or something like that. So it does a good job of keeping the message private. But the actual details of the message will still show in Noritication Center.

Unless I'm totally overlooking a setting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.