Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linkboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
Is there any way to add the sidebar to NTFS windows in Finder.

My NTFS (actually anything not HFS+) look like this

ScreenShot2012-02-20at51032AM.png

when I want them to look like this

ScreenShot2012-02-20at51045AM.png

linkboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
So you're saying if you click on the BOOTCAMP drive on the sidebar, the sidebar disappears?

On my desktop, I have both the drive icons for my Bootcamp partition and my OS X partition.

If I open the Bootcamp drive, I get the above picture without the sidebar. Also, any folders I open will open in a new window as opposed to the same window. It gets annoying if I have to open a bunch of folders to get to a specific file.

If I open my HFS drive partition, everything works fine. I can access my Bootcamp partition via the sidebar and everything stays inside the same window.

I was thinking its because OS X can't write to NTFS drives, but a drive I have formatted for exFAT behaves the same way.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was thinking its because OS X can't write to NTFS drives, but a drive I have formatted for exFAT behaves the same way.
Even though native Mac OS X can't write to NTFS, it should have no problems reading it. I've never seen that behavior in Finder, but I usually launch Finder from the Dock and navigate from there.

linkboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
Got it.

It was due to the fact that OS X doesn't write to NTFS drives. I just installed the trial for Paragon NTFS, rebooted my computer and now its working just fine.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Got it.

It was due to the fact that OS X doesn't write to NTFS drives. I just installed the trial for Paragon NTFS, rebooted my computer and now its working just fine.
That's just weird. I don't see any reason why that should affect the sidebar appearing, but I'm glad you sorted it out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.