Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigglyjon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Hey all,
Starting a couple days ago, I have been having problems with my 800mhz iBook G4. I would start up and be surfing the web or doing some emailing and all of a sudden I would get the dreaded pinwheel and everything would go really really slow. A buzzing would be coming from the left palmrest. I dont know what is located in that area, maybe the hard drive or the cpu? Well, in short, it makes using the iBook super slow and I have to do a hard shutdown and not use it for a couple of hours. The bottom would get really hot, and I am worried the problem could be worse than I originally thought. Anyone experience this before, or can anyone suggest some remedies for this? Thanks all!

Jon

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
That would be the fan activating to cool down your computer. You must be doing something that requires a high amount of processor power. What application do you use? If it is a high demand application, invest in some new ram it says you have 256mb of ram in your signature. Laptops generally get pretty hot. If this a concern go into system prefs and go into energy saver, option pane and there is a button to set the processor speed. If it is not on automatic set it to it.

Really need to know the apps your using to determine problem better.

jigglyjon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Hey thanks for the reply. As of my testing, it only happenes after a while of surfing the web. Nothing too harsh for the system. Safari would be the only app. open and it would just start making a grinding sound about 10 mins after I open the application. Anyone else experience this, or know why this could be happening. Also, is there a way to check what processes/ applicaitons are running similar to windows?

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
jigglyjon said:
Hey thanks for the reply. As of my testing, it only happenes after a while of surfing the web. Nothing too harsh for the system. Safari would be the only app. open and it would just start making a grinding sound about 10 mins after I open the application. Anyone else experience this, or know why this could be happening. Also, is there a way to check what processes/ applicaitons are running similar to windows?

You might want to reset Safari. At least clear out the cache and get rid of any extraneous cookies. I notice occasionally that if the cache is full Safari slows down a wee bit on my 1.5 PB, clearing the cache ususally helps.

It could also be that your fan is clogged with dirt or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.