Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
By releasing Mountain Lion OSx10.8 this year, we should expect a OSX 10.9 next year. Could it be that this 10.9 os will be the last of the macintosh era? Should we expect a new OS brand being launched in 2014?

it is only logical since 2014 marks the 30th anniversary of the original mac os launch, and it is about time we move from OS "X".

What are your thoughts? os11 I'm 2014?

Ps. i am sorry, i meant post this thread under MAC OS X

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Are you asking about the name? :confused:
It could get a refresh. OS 9 > OS X > OS XI, or OS Y, or whatever. I'm not really interested in the name honestly.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
By releasing Mountain Lion OSx10.8 this year, we should expect a OSX 10.9 next year. Could it be that this 10.9 os will be the last of the macintosh era? Should we expect a new OS brand being launched in 2014?

it is only logical since 2014 marks the 30th anniversary of the original mac os launch, and it is about time we move from OS "X".

What are your thoughts? os11 I'm 2014?

I think the version number after 10.9 will be 10.10.

Given that we're getting yearly releases, I expect the version number to be emphasized less and less. It will probably be referred mostly as "OS X", and most mainstream applications will be expected to already be up to date, as the App Store will be the primary distribution channel.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I think that 2014 will be like 1984, but maybe not like, "1984".

The iPad now has all the interface capabilities of a laptop (With a removable screen). You can buy a keyboard, allowing you to do anything that a laptop could do, and the touchscreen pretty much could = the trackpad. Apple will probably see nothing stopping them from creating the iOS for computers. There are things I do not like about the iOS, like how everything is limited to the App Store (Hopefully that will not be a problem in the future) and how they don't have anything like Finder, and it's harder to multitask. Also, it doesn't really have a CLI built in. I guess you can buy an emulator, but it really won't be as good as actually using Terminal. It won't be that bad, as I could always boot Linux. Comparatively, Windows and other OS's will pretty much dominate the market for programmers and developers.

Nov 28, 2010
located
and it is about time we move from OS "X".
SJ once said, that there are two decades of worth in OS X, technology wise, which of course can change with the arrival of new and unforeseen technology.
And the X is (or maybe was) is an important part of the name (alluding to its UNIX heritage) and a well known brand name. Why change that?

They already shortened it to "OS X", as "Mac" seems to be negligible nowadays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.