Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesslla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
I'm getting an iPhone (12 days!!) and I want a case for it. I don't *like* cases on my phones, never have. They add bulk, the lips on the edges drive me crazy for keeping my phone clean and they interfere with typing. I have dropped my phones a total of 5 times in the 12 years I've owned a cell phone.

But I absolutely can not afford to replace this iPhone should something happen to it, which means a case. I can only afford one case, so I better like the one I get.

I can't stand the Otterbox case my brother has. Too much bulk. Covers up most of the screen. What's the point of getting a white phone just to cover it all up?

I had a CaseMate on my iPod Touch a few years ago, and I quite liked it because the edges were flush with the screen edges. It was slim and added some color. I've found two cases for the iPhone that I quite like the looks of. The Uncommon Deflector and the CaseMate Barely There.

I can get both of them customized with my own photo on them (important to me). I like the description of the TATT printing on the Uncommon one. They both cost about the same.

I'm trying to decide which one to get! I've read a lot of reviews on the Uncommon Deflector, but finding reviews of the CaseMate is turning out to be a bit more difficult. Especially the custom printed cases.

If you've used either case, how did you like them?
Did they fit well?
Can you take them off somewhat easily (I know the Deflector is said to be a tight fit)?
Did they scratch your phone?
What about using them with a screen protector?
Do they feel flimsy or should they give somewhat decent protection from minor drops?
Are the edges black/white/depend on the color printed on them?
Is there a better case that meets my criteria?
Do either of them have flash problems (I'm getting a white iPhone)?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What's the point of getting a white phone just to cover it all up?
The point is always highly subjective or else everyone would use the same case or everyone would not use a case at all. A minimal case and maximum protection are generally at odds with each other. You need to decide where you're willing to compromise.

jesslla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
The point is always highly subjective or else everyone would use the same case or everyone would not use a case at all. A minimal case and maximum protection are generally at odds with each other. You need to decide where you're willing to compromise.

That was mostly a rhetorical question actually. I've already decided where I'm willing to compromise, I was looking for opinions on the two cases I've narrowed down my search to. I'm looking for myself scratch protection as I don't drop my phones much, but I also want a good quality case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.