PDA

View Full Version : No Gimmicks. Medical requirements..

tlinford
Feb 20, 2012, 05:56 PM
Contant updates, leaves some people behind.

I am a diabetic person, who uses various electronic devices to help manage my diabetes. The most significant device I use is my Medtronic Insulin Pump.

This in a little computer, which is attached to me 24/7, I have programmed it to deliver my Insulin.. One of the things I can do with this device, is to wirelessly upload data from the pump to my computer. This data is fed into a cloud based system called CareLink, which is strictly controlled. Every-time there is an major release of an OS we have to wait months for people like Medtronic to get there system approved for medical use. I(we) am (are) still waiting for this to happen with OSX Lion. I waited 3 months before upgrading to Lion for this, but game up because my MobileMe syncing would't work across Snow Leopard and iOS5.

It has been hard enough to get medical companies to develop software for Mac. In the past it has been unheard of, only in the last couple of years have we seen some support. I love Lion, I just hate having to fire-up XP..

I know that Apple release developer versions of software, but for people who are not desperate to spend extra money on Mac support, Apple could be more helpful here....

I like the whistles and bells of Apple OSX Lion, I love using AirPlay from my iOS devices to my TV, and also to a more limited extent my Mac.. I think the OSX AirPlay mirroring, is going to be great! As will 'Messages'....

But there is a downside to constant releases... some people needing serious software get left in the cold and I end up having to use the Virtual XP, just to access the CareLink Portal, it's the only thing I use XP for these days!

KnightWRX
Feb 20, 2012, 06:05 PM
Ok... what do you propose Apple do to help if Carelink won't stay up to date with their software ?

miles01110
Feb 21, 2012, 12:03 AM
What is the point of this post? Yes, relying on third parties to deliver a service when there's a software update takes time. Duh?

JohnDoe98
Feb 21, 2012, 12:16 AM
What is the point of this post?

The point is Apple should slow down release cycles because otherwise some people with some very particular medical conditions won't be able to keep updated.

PassiveSmoking
Feb 21, 2012, 02:47 AM
The point is Apple should slow down release cycles because otherwise some people with some very particular medical conditions won't be able to keep updated.

I don't think Apple intended their machines to be medical equipment. No offence intended.

KnightWRX
Feb 21, 2012, 04:15 AM

Release cycles rarely have anything to do with software not working. Pretty much all my software that ran on Snow Leopard ran top notch on Lion without patches. As long as you stick to official APIs and frameworks, make sure to migrate away from stuff when it's marked "deprecated" instead of waiting for it to be removed and don't have deep requirements like kext's, you should be ok.

Sounds to me like to OP's vendor doesn't follow these simple guidelines. Anyway, HP ships 2 releases of HP-UX per year and guess what, our SAP installation doesn't stop working because I upgrade the underlying servers.

JohnDoe98
Feb 21, 2012, 09:25 AM
I don't think Apple intended their machines to be medical equipment. No offence intended.

Why would I be offended? I guess my sarcasm didn't come through well in my post.

pdjudd
Feb 21, 2012, 09:38 AM
Release cycles rarely have anything to do with software not working.
Not to mention software that inherently is subject to external situations like requiring external regulation that Apple has no part of.

Apple slowing down development wouldn't do anything to help the OP out - Nothing Apple does would speed up the approval process out. What would help would be if the software maker would follow better guidelines, but that's the kind of thing that happens with specialty software - they don't tend to be developed for systems that get updated. If anything blame the developer or the approval process (not so much the approval process since it exists for a reason but they are probably the ones who are unrealistic about approval) but Apple cannot accommodate edge cases like the one the OP deals with.

ETA: When you have requirements like the OP, upgrading to a new OS is not something you should be doing - his software isn't approved for Lion - given that SL was released back in '09 he needs to figure on at least a two year waiting period. But it needs to be pointed out that these are limits imposed on him by other entities. His case might be better suited to using XP on a VM - that's nobodies fault but the vendors and the approval entities. He is in a very unusual situation where upgrading is a process that isn't very accommodating.

Gomff
Feb 21, 2012, 10:51 AM
OP: As someone else recommended, I would use XP in a VM, which would save you having to reboot.....It's a very handy way of doing things, kind of turns XP into an application that lets you run legacy stuff.

I do get your concerns about more updates breaking things though and I personally don't like 1 year upgrade cycles.

Best of luck getting it sorted out.

pdjudd
Feb 21, 2012, 11:14 AM
I do get your concerns about more updates breaking things though and I personally don't like 1 year upgrade cycles.

As it has been pointed out - upgrading gets more complicated when you have to go through external processes. Apple has no more control over the approval process of third party software than you or I or the vendor does. They exist external to the process of upgrading.

Of course for such a critical system like the one the OP has, I would put OS upgrades as low as possible - for him, compatibility and operation is going to have to be more important to him than having the latest OS. Such is the problem with mission critical things - having bugs due to an upgrade is not really an option. This is a situation where having a dedicated system that he can ensure works (like a VM) is the best option. He is in a boat where there aren't many options available to him. Unfortunatly there are choices being made for him that just aren't compatible with the way Apple wants to do things and that's not their problem.

Takuro
Feb 21, 2012, 02:16 PM
Contant updates, leaves some people behind...

Do something proactive and voice your complaint to directly to CareLink, citing their slow turnaround time to support new versions of OS X. Otherwise, you always have the option of putting up with it and using a slightly-dated operating system for a few months until they roll out an update. I don't want to say "beggars can't be choosers" because it sounds harsh, but those are the options.

o0samotech0o
Feb 21, 2012, 03:37 PM
The question you should ask yourself is:

Is the program for my insulin medication on my Mac more important

OR

Is the next version of OS X more important?

That way you can decide, and in the meantime complain to Carelink about their lack of updates for their users. Simple

EDIT: Or infact you could run the latest Mac OS X version and VM Snow Leopard or whatever version you need for the Carelink software

cambookpro
Feb 21, 2012, 03:40 PM

U guys. Srsly.

I know you shouldn't read into voting too much, but why is this post on -6? It's obviously sarcastic?

/No sarcasm.
/Crap. Now that tag seems sarcastic.
/SRSLY. No sarcasm.

The General
Feb 21, 2012, 03:50 PM
I used to work at an engineer's office doing drafting and we had to use Windows 98 because the plotter we had and the total station we had wouldn't work on XP. Then vista came out and our printers and scanners wouldn't work on it. Then 7 came out and our software, printers, scanners, total station wouldn't work on it.

So we had to continue to use Windows 98. It worked fine, and continues to work 14 years later. You don't have to upgrade. Upgrade when the things that you need all work with the new version. Sorry it's inconvenient for you, but the vast majority of people do not have problems like this. Innovation should not be stifled because of a very small minority of people who have devices made by unsupportive companies.

Gomff
Feb 21, 2012, 06:51 PM
I sympathize with the OP because I'm in a similar position, albeit far less serious.

I depend upon a plugin in my everyday, bread and butter 3D program which is broken in Lion. The developers of the plugin have no plans to update (it's about 5 years old and I think they've all moved on in their professional lives) so basically I'm stuck in between OS's. I know my life or health don't depend on it but nevertheless, something I need for earning a living is (in my eyes) needlessly broken by Apple deciding not to support certain frameworks and architecture anymore. The same plugin works flawlessly in Windows 7, merely because Microsoft have a better (and proven) track record for legacy support.

It seems somewhat trite to just say "It's not Apple's problem" when loyal customers continue to chose Apple products. I get that Apple want to move on but we're talking about a company that has 100 billion dollars in the bank, because people like me and the OP buy their products....It would be nice if they looked after us like they used to by providing a mechanism to still run legacy applications.

That said, the OP does have the option of running his software in a Windows XP VM which is what I would do.

Partron22
Feb 21, 2012, 07:21 PM
It would be nice if they looked after us like they used to...

Macs have been a battle ever since Jobs put deeply recessed torx fasteners on the first 128K Macintosh.

Every Mac Gets Left Behind (http://lowendmac.com/ed/carson/12cc/every-mac-left-behind.html), sometimes painfully:
When Mac OS 8 launched in July 1997, it dropped support for all machines with a 68030 processor...

When Mac OS 8.5 launched on October 17, 1998. It dropped support for all machines with a 68040 processor.

When the first version of Mac OS X Server launched in March 1999, it dropped support for all pre-G3 based Macs. This included the Power Mac 9600 series

pdjudd
Feb 21, 2012, 07:23 PM
Gmof,
Unfortunately, what you describe is the exact reason why you never base your well-being and total means of support on one program or one system of doing things - especially when development on said system has ended. It’s just asking for trouble doing that. Always have options. What happens when support in Windows ends? Someday Microsoft could depreciate support for that API or framework - it can happen. That’s just the reality of things - they never last forever.

ETA: If you want long term support, Apple isn’t your best choice (and pretty much never has been). MS operates it’s core business model on extreme long term support - but even then they sunset things and discontinue support.

Takuro
Feb 21, 2012, 07:58 PM
...something I need for earning a living is (in my eyes) needlessly broken by Apple deciding not to support certain frameworks and architecture anymore. The same plugin works flawlessly in Windows 7, merely because Microsoft have a better (and proven) track record for legacy support.

...It would be nice if they looked after us like they used to by providing a mechanism to still run legacy applications.

The issue here is that a company's main goal is to make profit. Microsoft makes profit mainly through software sales, so they're more than happy to support legacy machines if it gives them a large install base. Apple's revenue is derived mostly from hardware, and iOS hardware in particular such as iPads and iPhones, so they have no issue dropping support for products > 5 years old to keep up a rapid pace of technology.

KnightWRX
Feb 21, 2012, 08:36 PM
Some APIs and Frameworks have been in OS X since the days of 10.0. Vendors that chose transition technologies (Rosetta, Carbon) were just numbering the days their apps would work. Apple has never been more clear that Cocoa was the way forward. They have deprecated a few methods here or there in Cocoa, but again, that's plenty of time to update your code to newer methods.

Some software developers are just bad. They choose the easy path to get a product out knowing full well that what they are using is going to end up causing problems down the road. Then down the road, they make sure to disappear and leave users stranded without source code or support.

That's one of the pitfalls of proprietary software.

Gomff
Feb 22, 2012, 04:50 AM
Macs have been a battle ever since Jobs put deeply recessed torx fasteners on the first 128K Macintosh.

Every Mac Gets Left Behind (http://lowendmac.com/ed/carson/12cc/every-mac-left-behind.html), sometimes painfully:

I must beg to differ to a degree, based on my experience with my Macs.

My first Macbook pro was a 2006 model running Tiger. At the time I needed a new machine and was enticed by the fact that I could also run windows plus I liked the hardware (it was billed as the best PC laptop). OS X grew on me and I came to use it as my primary OS, booting less and less into Windows. Upgrades from Tiger > Leopard > Snow Leopard were painless and I had no issues with software compatibility. Then Lion came along and well, I've already described what happened next.

So from my perspective, Apple did look after me for 5 years. In my view, removing support for Carbon and Rosetta reduces the functionality of OS X and I don't think it's too much to ask a company with 100 billion dollars in its pockets to cut its users some slack.

----------

Gmof,
Unfortunately, what you describe is the exact reason why you never base your well-being and total means of support on one program or one system of doing things - especially when development on said system has ended.

As I pointed out, I can use the same software and plugin in Windows without issue so I do have options. It's an inconvenience that I have to reboot but I'm currently avoiding that by remaining in Snow Leopard.....At least this way I can stay in the OS X environment which I prefer. Having said that, Windows 7 is actually pretty good for 3D these days and depending on what happens with Windows 8, I may end up switching back merely to avoid the hassle of needing to work in two different OS's.

As for the suggestion that you should never depend on one program or system of doing things....I'm not sure about the wisdom of learning a new application "Just in case" support for the current one I use dies off either...I'm more of a "Cross that bridge when I come to it" kind of guy.

Confuzzzed
Feb 22, 2012, 05:01 AM
The same plugin works flawlessly in Windows 7, merely because Microsoft have a better (and proven) track record for legacy support.

Out with old, in with the new. That's what drives innovation and that's how Apple work. That and keeping their systems and OSs unclattered. Hence why they are so much more innovative than their competition.

That been said, I do have some sympathy with the OP but there are work-arounds.

Gomff
Feb 22, 2012, 05:34 AM
Out with old, in with the new. That's what drives innovation and that's how Apple work. That and keeping their systems and OSs unclattered. Hence why they are so much more innovative than their competition.

That been said, I do have some sympathy with the OP but there are work-arounds.

In my view, Snow Leopard isn't cluttered and is innovative.

But if we're talking clutter....I'm not so sure I want iMessages popping up on my screen whilst I'm working really. But hey, that's not a problem in Mountain Lion because I won't be able to do any work :)

pdjudd
Feb 22, 2012, 08:11 AM
As I pointed out, I can use the same software and plugin in Windows without issue so I do have options.

That's good. I know that you can use Windows.

As for the suggestion that you should never depend on one program or system of doing things....I'm not sure about the wisdom of learning a new application "Just in case" support for the current one I use dies off either...I'm more of a "Cross that bridge when I come to it" kind of guy.
My point was that you shouldn't have to learn a new system now, it was "you shouldn't put all your eggs in basket that might not last forever". In other words, you need to look at your options and make sure you have them. Someday that program is going to stop working in some fashion. Apple and MS are going to move on. Right now you have the option of using Windows, but that option might not always work - what happens when MS changes things and the program breaks?

Gomff
Feb 22, 2012, 08:21 AM
That's good. I know that you can use Windows.

My point was that you shouldn't have to learn a new system now, it was "you shouldn't put all your eggs in basket that might not last forever". In other words, you need to look at your options and make sure you have them. Someday that program is going to stop working in some fashion. Apple and MS are going to move on. Right now you have the option of using Windows, but that option might not always work - what happens when MS changes things and the program breaks?

Sorry, I'm confused. How many options are you suggesting I should ensure I have, and how can I determine which of those will last longer than the current solution I'm using....therefore being worth the investment of my time and money?

chrono1081
Feb 22, 2012, 08:25 AM
Why would I be offended? I guess my sarcasm didn't come through well in my post.

No it didn't, you forgot to use this face :rolleyes:

:p

pdjudd
Feb 22, 2012, 08:30 AM
Sorry, I'm confused. How many options are you suggesting I should ensure I have, and how can I determine which of those will last longer than the current solution I'm using....therefore being worth the investment of my time and money?
That's up to you and how much you want to ensure that you want to make money. Relying on a product that is no longer being developed is foolish at best and is pretty much asking for trouble.

ETA: At least you should be making sure that the vendor that you use is still around and willing to update the product you are using. It's called having a backup in case things change.

ETA2: And I largely don't think it should be treated as a "cross that bridge when we get there" sort of thing either. You should be proactive so that when things like this do happen, you can adapt much faster. It's never a good idea to assume that things will always work the same way tomorrow as they do today.

Confuzzzed
Feb 22, 2012, 10:00 AM
But if we're talking clutter....I'm not so sure I want iMessages popping up on my screen whilst I'm working really.

People said that of email when it was first introduced all those years ago! I am sure you can turn it off

interrobang
Feb 22, 2012, 10:27 AM
U guys. Srsly.

I know you shouldn't read into voting too much, but why is this post on -6? It's obviously sarcastic?

/No sarcasm.
/Crap. Now that tag seems sarcastic.
/SRSLY. No sarcasm.

Nothing is obviously anything on the Internet. That's why we have emoticons, smilies, and now (unfortunately) the word "lol." (Which used to mean "I'm laughing at the funny thing you said!" and now means, "I'm trying to be funny, please laugh at this thing I said.")

Gomff
Feb 22, 2012, 10:41 AM
That's up to you and how much you want to ensure that you want to make money. Relying on a product that is no longer being developed is foolish at best and is pretty much asking for trouble.

But as I already pointed out, there's nothing wrong with the product.....It's Apple's halted support of Rosetta that has resulted in the problems. Perhaps the real issue here is what the OP has already pointed out, which is that Apple's OS is becoming a less reliable and stable platform to develop for, since it is switching to a faster upgrade cycle with little or no regard for users dependent on legacy software, or hardware for that matter.

I'm quite amazed at the number of people on these forums for whom the answer to these issues is just to happily keep handing over money to Apple without question.

ETA: At least you should be making sure that the vendor that you use is still around and willing to update the product you are using. It's called having a backup in case things change.

I don't know what ETA stands for. But in any case, you could argue conversely that I should be looking at whether Apple's OS is a viable platform to work on, given their willingness to abandon some of their customers. We could probably debate this eternally without coming to a conclusion as to whose responsibility it is. All I know is that in these situations, it's the customer who suffers which isn't a good outcome for Apple or third party developers.

ETA2: And I largely don't think it should be treated as a "cross that bridge when we get there" sort of thing either. You should be proactive so that when things like this do happen, you can adapt much faster. It's never a good idea to assume that things will always work the same way tomorrow as they do today.

I'm too busy to worry about what I should be doing. I've found in the past that nothing focuses the mind like necessity, so when the time comes I'm sure I'll be able to cope. Meanwhile my legacy software continues to put food on the table in spite of everything.

pdjudd
Feb 22, 2012, 11:15 AM
I don't know what ETA stands for.
Edited to Add

But in any case, you could argue conversely that I should be looking at whether Apple's OS is a viable platform to work on, given their willingness to abandon some of their customers.

Maybe. But I am curious that it took you this long to find this out? It's SOP for apple to drop support quickly on old stuff. Has been for awhile.

We could probably debate this eternally without coming to a conclusion as to whose responsibility it is. All I know is that in these situations, it's the customer who suffers which isn't a good outcome for Apple or third party developers.

In your case, its the developer who really abandoned you. They are the ones who discontinued the software in the first place.

I'm too busy to worry about what I should be doing.
That's your decision to make, I am pointing out that it is not a wise choice to make. Unless you have the ability to predict the future with 100% certainty you need a contingency plan. Do do otherwise is IMHO, very foolish. But again. That's your choice and not mine. Feel free to do whatever you want. I couldn't care less what happens to you one way or the other.

Gomff
Feb 22, 2012, 11:54 AM
Edited to Add
Maybe. But I am curious that it took you this long to find this out? It's SOP for apple to drop support quickly on old stuff. Has been for awhile.

As I said previously, for 5 years and 3 versions of OS X, I had no problems with either hardware or software. There's no mystery really.

In your case, its the developer who really abandoned you. They are the ones who discontinued the software in the first place.

How so? Their product works as advertised. Apple are the ones who dropped Rosetta support.

That's your decision to make

Indeed it is.

Feel free to do whatever you want.

Thanks, I will!

I couldn't care less what happens to you one way or the other.

Right back at you buddy.

KnightWRX
Feb 22, 2012, 11:55 AM
Edited to Add

I thought it meant Estimated Time of Arrival. ;)

pdjudd
Feb 22, 2012, 12:24 PM
How so? Their product works as advertised. Apple are the ones who dropped Rosetta support..
They never updated your product - that's how they abandoned you. Apple clearly said that Rosetta was transition technology. That meant that it was never going to stay forever. They kept it for 3 versions of their OS! Heck by that point the OS wouldn't run on PPC hardware anyway. Apple clearly told developers to update their Apps. Apple warned people here. It's not their fault that people didn't listen or anticipate things.

Your app was written for a different platform. The fact that it continued working at all should be something in of itself.

miraclehobo
Feb 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
Pathetic. If you need something for your health and windows does it better then switch to windows. No brainer. :rolleyes:

Gomff
Feb 22, 2012, 12:57 PM
They never updated your product - that's how they abandoned you. Apple clearly said that Rosetta was transition technology. That meant that it was never going to stay forever. They kept it for 3 versions of their OS! Heck by that point the OS wouldn't run on PPC hardware anyway. Apple clearly told developers to update their Apps. Apple warned people here. It's not their fault that people didn't listen or anticipate things.

I feel like we're getting into the proverbial eternal debate about who is responsible, with an element of last word-ism thrown in for good measure. You have your opinion, I have mine.....Lets leave it at that.

----------

Pathetic. If you need something for your health and windows does it better then switch to windows. No brainer. :rolleyes:

Wow, really feeling the love in this thread:rolleyes:. The OP has enough to worry about being diabetic....Why the need to pile in?

tlinford
Feb 22, 2012, 01:04 PM

Not slow down, work closer with developers, encourage developers who are doing more that produce little games that sell by the heap-load..

The point is, that to many companies who have not supported Apple developers until the recent increase in popularity, need encouragement not reasons to leave..

----------

If this is the case, why the heavy Apple product placement in TV show's such as House?

Is there an appearance reality distinction going on?

pdjudd
Feb 22, 2012, 01:06 PM
If this is the case, why the heavy Apple product placement in TV show's such as House?
They don't show them running any applications medically related do they? Product placements are meant to look cool. Not be endorsements of anything.

miraclehobo
Feb 22, 2012, 01:45 PM
Wow, really feeling the love in this thread:rolleyes:. The OP has enough to worry about being diabetic....Why the need to pile in?

All the more reason to make life easier and switch to windows which clearly has better support. Is it really that difficult? :rolleyes:

mfuchs88
Feb 22, 2012, 01:49 PM
How come you just don't upgrade? It's not like it a necessary update, just has some cool options coming. Nothing substantial.

InuNacho
Feb 22, 2012, 02:32 PM

When Mac OS 8 launched in July 1997, it dropped support for all machines with a 68030 processor...

When Mac OS 8.5 launched on October 17, 1998. It dropped support for all machines with a 68040 processor.

When the first version of Mac OS X Server launched in March 1999, it dropped support for all pre-G3 based Macs. This included the Power Mac 9600 series

You seem to forget that way back in the ole' pre-locked down days almost everything save for some stuff in the 68k to PPC jump had a backdoor.
If you weren't using a laptop (and hardly anyone was and there were some upgrades for them) there were dozens of processor cards to choose from to get your older machine into the "next generation". My LCII lived most of its life with a 040 card and that was Apple's budget machine, the 9600 could take G4 upgrades, certain Quadras could use 601s, and so on.

tlinford
Feb 24, 2012, 06:29 AM
How come you just don't upgrade? It's not like it a necessary update, just has some cool options coming. Nothing substantial.

The last update was kinnda forced because of Apple's moving away from MobileMe cloud syncing to iCloud, one defiantly does't work with the other. When I updated my iPad and iPhone to iOS 5, it broke my calendar syncing which I just couldt live without, particularly as it is the primary way that my wife lets me know about dates for things... Also, I often put things into my calendar while of the hoof using my iPhone.... that I want to see when I get home on by MacBook, or when I'm at Uni using the iPad! (I know I'm spoilt!)..

With the broken coupling, I HAD to upgrade... which is pants because iCloud syncing is not as good as MobileMe syncing, in only includes a subset of what MobileMe did. Maybe it was part of Apple's 'less is more thing', or maybe it was because it's simpler?

tlinford
Feb 24, 2012, 06:44 AM

I delayed switching to Mac in the first place (4 years ago) for these sorts of reasons. However, Apple OSX offered so much in other ways, that running XP on VMWare was a compromise. Imagine my joy, when CareLink worked on the Mac and I could unload the bloat of 40Gbyte of virualisation onto a firewire external drive (just in case) and then imagine my frustration when a simple OS X update renders access to a web based (cloud) app useless and have to fire-up that old XP pile of *****, just to update data from my insulin Pump onto a remote server and run some simple Java driven reports..

My view of windows (and I have looked at Windows 7) is that it is still a pile of poo, I have had a close look at it and the word that springs to mind in veneer.. Underneath the glossy exterior there lies....... effluence!

It used to be that when there was a new OS my online banking stopped working for a few days, while the bank tested their system with the new OS. This does't happen anymore, presumably because they are doing testing with the developer builds....?

So my reason for blogging this issue, was to spur intelligent conversation, in the hope that someone in the flow might change something?

One thing is for sure, if nobody says anything, nothing changes.

Puevlo
Feb 24, 2012, 09:31 AM

Indeed. It's actually against the EULA.

haravikk
Feb 24, 2012, 09:34 AM
I'm sorry, but while I fully support inclusion, Apple never has (and never should) allow their OS updates to be stalled due to niche users who want to upgrade but can't because their important software won't work on the new version.

To put it quite bluntly; if 10.6, 10.7 or any previous version works just fine for you now, then you don't need to upgrade, just keep using what works! Even then, you can still eventually upgrade, but anyone wanting to do so is always better to wait a while anyway to find out if their software is going to work, or if any major OS issues will surface; don't just rush into an upgrade, as that's only asking for trouble and you'll only have yourself to blame, just wait until you know if your apps will continue to work.

If you absolutely cannot control yourself when it comes to updating your OS then either install it in a separate partition, use emulation under an OS that works, or at the very least separate your core OS from your apps and files using partitions so it's at least easy to switch back if you find that things don't work as expected.

dsjr2006
Feb 24, 2012, 10:28 AM
This thread need to be deleted. We should slow down innovation because some developer can't keep up?? This guy has lost his marbles....

tlinford
Feb 24, 2012, 12:19 PM
This thread need to be deleted. We should slow down innovation because some developer can't keep up?? This guy has lost his marbles....

Thanks, so kind!

----------

I'm sorry, but while I fully support inclusion, Apple never has (and never should) allow their OS updates to be stalled due to niche users who want to upgrade but can't because their important software won't work on the new version.

To put it quite bluntly; if 10.6, 10.7 or any previous version works just fine for you now, then you don't need to upgrade, just keep using what works! Even then, you can still eventually upgrade, but anyone wanting to do so is always better to wait a while anyway to find out if their software is going to work, or if any major OS issues will surface; don't just rush into an upgrade, as that's only asking for trouble and you'll only have yourself to blame, just wait until you know if your apps will continue to work.

If you absolutely cannot control yourself when it comes to updating your OS then either install it in a separate partition, use emulation under an OS that works, or at the very least separate your core OS from your apps and files using partitions so it's at least easy to switch back if you find that things don't work as expected.

Interesting point of view.... niche = minority, what other minorities would you marginalise?

Partron22
Feb 24, 2012, 12:46 PM
Are Smartphones Starting a Boom In DIY Medicine? (http://science.slashdot.org/story/12/02/23/1916245/are-smartphones-starting-a-boom-in-diy-medicine)
"How are you using smartphones and other portable devices to take charge of your medical care? The NY Times has an article about attachments to the iPhone for tracking blood sugar (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/23/technology/personaltech/monitoring-your-health-with-mobile-devices.html) and blood pressure. iPhone / iPod Touch App (http://www.glucosebuddy.com/)

haravikk
Feb 24, 2012, 02:29 PM
what other minorities would you marginalise?
The niché being marginalised is anyone with specialised software that might not run on the latest OS. As I, and several others have stated, no-one actually forces you to upgrade your OS right away, so if you're someone with specialised software (medical related or not is irrelevant) then simply find out if it'll work properly before upgrading, or wait till a new version of your software comes out.

It doesn't matter a bit what the software is for; back in the day when Mac OS X first hit, it was Quark Xpress that stubbornly refused to come out with an updated version and left many of its users struggling with the change. That wasn't Apple's fault.
Likewise with apps that refused to port from PPC; they've had plenty of time.

But to repeat my first point; if you need specific software that won't run on a new OS version, then don't install the new OS version! It really is simple; just make sure the software developers know that you'd like an updated version. There are other options as well, such as emulation, dual-booting and so-on.

Besides which, if the software company are really serious about multi-platform support, then why isn't it a Java app, a web app, or cross-platform C/C++ with thin wrappers to make it a native app on each platform? While I do hope that with Apple switching to yearly releases that they'll be a bit less aggressive with changes that might break apps (changes or removal of older APIs) it's not like Apple go out of their way to break software with each update; the majority of broken apps are ones that are using older, deprecated APIs, or hadn't implemented functionality properly in the first place (i.e - it was lucky it worked at all). Apple can't pander to all such cases without OS X become a bloated monster like Windows with legacy support from decades ago.

KnightWRX
Feb 24, 2012, 07:29 PM
What is the actual problem here ? Looking at Carelink, here are their system requirements :

If anything, they should get a move on and support the 2nd most popular browser, Google Chrome. Seems to me Mac support is quite up to date though...

And it's a Web app! It's not even a native application. I really don't get what you're fretting about OP. Web apps are about the most easily ported things since they're basically more attached to browsers than OSes. And heck, looking at the text, it says I can sill use the system even with my "unsupported configuration". Of course, it's a Web application! Most are just written to standards that just work. I bet their stuff even works on Linux.

Mountain out of a mole hill.

tlinford
Feb 25, 2012, 07:10 AM
What is the actual problem here ? Looking at Carelink, here are their system requirements :

If anything, they should get a move on and support the 2nd most popular browser, Google Chrome. Seems to me Mac support is quite up to date though...

And it's a Web app! It's not even a native application. I really don't get what you're fretting about OP. Web apps are about the most easily ported things since they're basically more attached to browsers than OSes. And heck, looking at the text, it says I can sill use the system even with my "unsupported configuration". Of course, it's a Web application! Most are just written to standards that just work. I bet their stuff even works on Linux.

Mountain out of a mole hill.

Yes, this has only just transitioned (last weekend) and it actually doesn't work with the current Java, which is used to access the CareLink USB wireless interface.... although it has started (last weekend) working under FireFox.... I don't use Crome, I use Safari then backup to FireFox which runs endnotes for my academic work...

My point is having waited for months to get to this stage, looks like we will have to go through it all again when Mountain Lion is released in the summer...

I am wishing I hadn't started this thread, because it seems to have been hijacked (not by you, you have at least has a look at the portal, just missed the context of having been shut-out for months) by some unpleasant folk, never mind!

KnightWRX
Feb 25, 2012, 08:12 AM
Yes, this has only just transitioned (last weekend) and it actually doesn't work with the current Java, which is used to access the CareLink USB wireless interface.... although it has started (last weekend) working under FireFox.... I don't use Crome, I use Safari then backup to FireFox which runs endnotes for my academic work...

So.. you use an even more supported configuration than I do ? Firefox 5 is listed there, so is Safari, so is OS X Lion...

I don't get what your issue is ?

My point is having waited for months to get to this stage, looks like we will have to go through it all again when Mountain Lion is released in the summer...

So... again what do you propose Apple could have done more to help Carelink in this case ?

Anyway, what does Mountain Lion break besides their automated "systems requirements" check exactly ? Have you tried their site on Mountain Lion and seen that it doesn't work ? Have you contacted them about their roadmap for supporting Mountain Lion ?

Go through what again ? Waiting for Carelink to make their stuff work ? What a big burden to go through... waiting.... :rolleyes:

I am wishing I hadn't started this thread, because it seems to have been hijacked (not by you, you have at least has a look at the portal, just missed the context of having been shut-out for months) by some unpleasant folk, never mind!

Shut out for months ? Snow Leopard stopped working when Lion shipped ?

I think you need to re-evaluate the situation and answer my actual first question in this thread which is the first reply you received...

You're not getting sympathy here because frankly your expectations seem to a be a bit on the "self-entitlement" side of the fence.