PDA

View Full Version : How long do you guys think my Mac will stay current?

Mr.Outside
Feb 20, 2012, 09:48 PM
I have a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I saw on a couple of news sites that around Late 2008 models with this processor wont be able to run Mountain Lion. Does that mean theres a good chance that the next big update after Mountain Lion might not be supported on my Pro? :(

Spink10
Feb 20, 2012, 09:50 PM
Depends when that updates comes - Your computer will run the next OS X after ML

pdjudd
Feb 20, 2012, 10:01 PM
I have a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I saw on a couple of news sites that around Late 2008 models with this processor wont be able to run Mountain Lion. Does that mean theres a good chance that the next big update after Mountain Lion might not be supported on my Pro? :(

Its not based solely on year nor is it based solely on processors. Certain models released in Late 2007 are still supported. The things that matter are:

64-Bit Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better required
Ability to boot into OS X 64-bit kernel
Advanced GPU chipset required

Not all Core2Duos have the 64 bit Kernel nor the GPU required. You have a Pro that likely does. The cutoff for pros was back in 2009 models at the latest (for the 13 inch). It goes back 2 years earlier for 15 and 17. TO better state things, if you have a Macbook, it can still run a modern OS for up to 4 years. The Pro even more - up to 6 and a half years (or 4 if you get the low end). The Air gets 4 years... and so on. The support you get is minimum 4 years.

Trouble is, we have no idea how aggressive the updates are going to be down the line. We have nothing to base things on at all. Nothing. I think you will be safe for about 3-4 more updates unless your Pro is the 13 inch model

Mr.Outside
Feb 20, 2012, 11:23 PM
Depends when that updates comes - Your computer will run the next OS X after ML

Its not based solely on year nor is it based solely on processors. Certain models released in Late 2007 are still supported. The things that matter are:

64-Bit Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better required
Ability to boot into OS X 64-bit kernel
Advanced GPU chipset required

Not all Core2Duos have the 64 bit Kernel nor the GPU required. You have a Pro that likely does. The cutoff for pros was back in 2009 models at the latest (for the 13 inch). It goes back 2 years earlier for 15 and 17. TO better state things, if you have a Macbook, it can still run a modern OS for up to 4 years. The Pro even more - up to 6 and a half years (or 4 if you get the low end). The Air gets 4 years... and so on. The support you get is minimum 4 years.

Trouble is, we have no idea how aggressive the updates are going to be down the line. We have nothing to base things on at all. Nothing. I think you will be safe for about 3-4 more updates unless your Pro is the 13 inch model

Thanks for the input! That helped a lot. I do have a 13" model so maybe I dont have as much time as others, but I think when there is an OS update that I cant support it'll be my call to possibly upgrade machines. It'll drive me crazy not having the latest software.