Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Outside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
United States
I have a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I saw on a couple of news sites that around Late 2008 models with this processor wont be able to run Mountain Lion. Does that mean theres a good chance that the next big update after Mountain Lion might not be supported on my Pro? :(

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I have a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I saw on a couple of news sites that around Late 2008 models with this processor wont be able to run Mountain Lion. Does that mean theres a good chance that the next big update after Mountain Lion might not be supported on my Pro? :(

It’s not based solely on year nor is it based solely on processors. Certain models released in Late 2007 are still supported. The things that matter are:

64-Bit Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better required
Ability to boot into OS X 64-bit kernel
Advanced GPU chipset required

Not all Core2Duos have the 64 bit Kernel nor the GPU required. You have a Pro that likely does. The cutoff for pros was back in 2009 models at the latest (for the 13 inch). It goes back 2 years earlier for 15 and 17”. TO better state things, if you have a Macbook, it can still run a modern OS for up to 4 years. The Pro even more - up to 6 and a half years (or 4 if you get the low end). The Air gets 4 years... and so on. The support you get is minimum 4 years.

Trouble is, we have no idea how aggressive the updates are going to be down the line. We have nothing to base things on at all. Nothing. I think you will be safe for about 3-4 more updates unless your Pro is the 13 inch model

Mr.Outside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
United States
Depends when that updates comes - Your computer will run the next OS X after ML

It’s not based solely on year nor is it based solely on processors. Certain models released in Late 2007 are still supported. The things that matter are:

64-Bit Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better required
Ability to boot into OS X 64-bit kernel
Advanced GPU chipset required

Not all Core2Duos have the 64 bit Kernel nor the GPU required. You have a Pro that likely does. The cutoff for pros was back in 2009 models at the latest (for the 13 inch). It goes back 2 years earlier for 15 and 17”. TO better state things, if you have a Macbook, it can still run a modern OS for up to 4 years. The Pro even more - up to 6 and a half years (or 4 if you get the low end). The Air gets 4 years... and so on. The support you get is minimum 4 years.

Trouble is, we have no idea how aggressive the updates are going to be down the line. We have nothing to base things on at all. Nothing. I think you will be safe for about 3-4 more updates unless your Pro is the 13 inch model

Thanks for the input! That helped a lot. I do have a 13" model so maybe I dont have as much time as others, but I think when there is an OS update that I cant support it'll be my call to possibly upgrade machines. It'll drive me crazy not having the latest software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.