Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

15danielp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Tucson, Arizona
I have a 5.5G iPod I would like to refurbish to like new condition. The click wheel button and center button don't press really well. The battery has about 5mins of juice left. There's a crack in the screen. And I would love to add a larger hard drive (I have an 80gb now).

My plan is to do this and have the iPod iModded.

Does anyone know of a company that offers this all-in-one service?

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Buy a new iPod, or the same model that's in better (but still used) condition.

That's not quite the answer to the question they were asking.

Out in LA there is a Specialty chain called Melrose Mac that "may" do it but I doubt it. You could always contact iFixit.com or OWC. They don't advertise a service like that but they could refer you.

Otherwise stuff like this is usually just DIY, grab one of your more techy friends to help you. Worst case scenario is you'll be out a dead iPod and a couple of parts.

Oh and instead of a bigger hdd add an ssd in there. They are a little pricey but the longer battery life and fast load times will make it totally worth it. I put an 8gb cf card in my iPod mini and the thing lasts 28 hours continuously. I think it only lasted about 15 hours before the mod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.