PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice for a simple(?) app

Paandaman
Feb 21, 2012, 04:34 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm back again with my app-project in school(if anyone remember but i guess not). I thought about all the tips i got last time and i've also read the book "BecomeAnXcoder" so i've got a better grip of it know.

I'm thinking of creating an app that works like an instruction manual with tips and trix for features on the iphone. I know that it already exist similar apps but i'm going to do mine in Swedish and most likely it won't even be put up on the appstore. I'm just planning on having a list from like 1-100(each with a different tip) and when you press a number you will get linked to the text document and picture.

My question is: Would this app be easy to execute? It sounds pretty simple to me but it would be nice to hear what a skilled programmer would say!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance:)

robbieduncan
Feb 21, 2012, 05:00 AM
For a skilled programmer: yes it would be very simple! For a beginner it will depend on a number of factors: time, patience, aptitude for programming (some people just never "click" with it).

In general this is pretty simple. I'd have a plist that represents the tips that you load and runtime, a UITableView in a UINavigationController for the main interface and when you touch a cell in the UITableView push a view controller that you populate with the tip (which you loaded from the plist). If you want graphics in your tip I'd use a UIWebView for each tip. Each tip would then be a small web page with appropriate src tags on the image to load from the local app.

Paandaman
Feb 21, 2012, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the reply!

That sounds promising:) Atleast i have the time and patience!

Regarding the images. Do i need a webserver that will host my images and then link each image to it separetely through the UIWebView? Do you think it would be smarter to include the text in the picture and just have an image with both the text and the explanatory image instead of having them separated?

robbieduncan
Feb 21, 2012, 06:40 AM
No you do not need a webserver. The SELOC TechWiki app in my signature uses HTML/UIWebView to display all the articles. The images are stored within the app and simply loaded from there by having appropriate src tags that are relative to the location of the HTML file that is also in the app.

dejo
Feb 21, 2012, 08:26 AM
If you use the Master-Detail application template, you will have an app that already has the basic framework of what you are requesting. And if you make it universal, it will already have a splitViewController for the iPad-side of things.

Plus, if your detail view is fairly simple (an image and plain text), you may not even need a webView.

Paandaman
Feb 22, 2012, 02:51 AM
If you use the Master-Detail application template, you will have an app that already has the basic framework of what you are requesting. And if you make it universal, it will already have a splitViewController for the iPad-side of things.

Oh yeah! That template was just perfect, exactly the layout i wanted! Thanks a lot for the tip:)