Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bessamy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
WV
Hello! Still trying to figure out my Mac. Need assistance. I bought a LaCie external hard drive for my MacBook since I have a model foam 2008 (the one with the removable battery). Need space on my MacBook bad. 3 GB left on drive. Since I am still a newbe I put it off as long as I could because I don't understand what to do.

The guy at best buy was a Mac guy and he said I needed a $30 FireWire 800/400 9 pin to 6 pin cable. But when I opened up the drive to finally do it last night there were 2 cables included one 800 to 800 and one 400 to 400. My MacBook has the 400 slot.

Do I need the 800/400 9 pin to 6 pin cable? Would it increase the speed over the 400 to 400 cable included with the drive?

Thanks for any help. I feel so overwhelmed attempting this by myself.

Nov 28, 2010
located
No, the 6-pin to 6-pin cable will suffice, you don't need a 9-pin to 6-pin cable, as it will not provide more speed, as you are limited by the Firewire 400 6-pin port.

2012_01_02_pA1_Firewire_Ports.png

Bessamy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
WV
Thanks for the quick reply!

Thanks so much!

Crud. I waited till it was too late to take the cable back to even to attempt this. I am a terrible procasternater when it comes to the upkeep of my own stuff. I need to transfer iTunes off my Mac onto the external drive to have space to do anything with it. Since I wasn't confident on how to do it, I keep putting it off.

Thanks so much for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.