PDA

View Full Version : Missing RSS in OS X Mountain Lion (mail)

musio
Feb 21, 2012, 07:44 AM
How can they remove this? I'm just hoping that it will be included in future betas...

I relie heavily on RSS in mail for updates on sites rather than saving tabs for the 15 sites I want updates on (Macrumours being one of them!) It's great to browse mail and get notifications for the latest news item...it would be crazy of Apple to remove this.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a big omission? I thought the notification centre would be great for receiving the latest MR news :(

See http://www.macworld.com/article/165465/2012/02/mountain_lion_hands_on_with_mail.html

No more RSS
One thing you won't find in Mountain Lion's Mail app—at least as it stands today—is the RSS feature. Whereas in Lion you can subscribe to an RSS feed in Mail in order to be alerted to, and to read, newly published articles from your favorite websites, that feature appears to be gone from Mail in Mountain Lion. Mail's preferences window has been stripped of the RSS pane, and there's no longer an Add RSS Feeds command in Mail's File menu.

What makes this omission especially curious is that RSS functionality also seems to be missing from Safari in Mountain Lion. It appears that if you want to read RSS feeds in Mountain Lion, you'll have to turn to a third-party app—at least, if nothing changes between now and the arrival of the final version of this OS X update in late summer.

Bear
Feb 21, 2012, 07:57 AM
What makes this omission especially curious is that RSS functionality also seems to be missing from Safari in Mountain Lion. It appears that if you want to read RSS feeds in Mountain Lion, you'll have to turn to a third-party app—at least, if nothing changes between now and the arrival of the final version of this OS X update in late summer.Why does it fell like that both Lion and Mountain Lion area as many steps backwards as forwards?

A Lion example, while I understand the new Mission Control layout and think it was good to be added, there's no more Expose/All Windows.

We'll have to see what they have in mind for RSS, but if you're a developer, bug report both Safari and Mail for missing RSS. And explain how and why you think it's bad that's missing.

Brenster
Feb 21, 2012, 08:00 AM
How can they remove this? I'm just hoping that it will be included in future betas...

I relie heavily on RSS in mail for updates on sites rather than saving tabs for the 15 sites I want updates on (Macrumours being one of them!) It's great to browse mail and get notifications for the latest news item...it would be crazy of Apple to remove this.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a big omission? I thought the notification centre would be great for receiving the latest MR news :(

See http://www.macworld.com/article/165465/2012/02/mountain_lion_hands_on_with_mail.html

No more RSS
One thing you won't find in Mountain Lion's Mail app—at least as it stands today—is the RSS feature. Whereas in Lion you can subscribe to an RSS feed in Mail in order to be alerted to, and to read, newly published articles from your favorite websites, that feature appears to be gone from Mail in Mountain Lion. Mail's preferences window has been stripped of the RSS pane, and there's no longer an Add RSS Feeds command in Mail's File menu.

What makes this omission especially curious is that RSS functionality also seems to be missing from Safari in Mountain Lion. It appears that if you want to read RSS feeds in Mountain Lion, you'll have to turn to a third-party app—at least, if nothing changes between now and the arrival of the final version of this OS X update in late summer.

Aside from using the RSS functionality in Safari rather than mail.app, I'm right there with you. In lieu of this change that looks to be coming in ML and Safari 5.2 on the web side of things, I spent last night looking at alternate RSS Readers both web and local app wise. They all seemed to be various flavours of awful and none of them support enumerating how many new news items there are since last visit - very useful in Safari both for individual sites and per folder on the Bookmarks menu bar.

Whilst I'm not about to jump ship from Mac/OSX (I switched from XP to an eMac w/Panther back in November 2003 for a reason....), I am starting to question what tools I use from day to day. The versioning and 'open all documents that the app had open last time' when opening a given first party app or document is seriously at odds with my prefered workflow and working behaviours. Having Pages open up previous documents along with the document I've just clicked on, some of which contain confidential information, is rather annoying. I'd prefer not to have to migrate to MS Office:mac to get the behaviour I want, but between the RSS issue and versioning/counter-intuative app behaviours I'm starting to consider alternatives.

Bear
Feb 21, 2012, 08:06 AM
Whilst I'm not about to jump ship from Mac/OSX (I switched from XP to an eMac w/Panther back in November 2003 for a reason....), I am starting to question what tools I use from day to day. The versioning and 'open all documents that the app had open last time' when opening a given first party app or document is seriously at odds with my prefered workflow and working behaviours. Having Pages open up previous documents along with the document I've just clicked on, some of which contain confidential information, is rather annoying. I'd prefer not to have to migrate to MS Office:mac to get the behaviour I want, but between the RSS issue and versioning/counter-intuative app behaviours I'm starting to consider alternatives.
In System Preferences->General there is a checkbox for "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps." deselect this so applications don't open up all the previously open windows. This does work for Pages and such. It may be broken for one or 2 apps.

As for the versions thing, well I want a "Save As" option back. And I need to see a better UI for the revision stuff before I decide how I like it. And more information on how it may do automatic cleanup of old version information or if that's something that will clog the disk if you forget to clean it up manually.

Brenster
Feb 21, 2012, 08:21 AM
In System Preferences->General there is a checkbox for "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps." deselect this so applications don't open up all the previously open windows. This does work for Pages and such. It may be broken for one or 2 apps.

Thanks for this - I'll take a look at my mac when I get back from work. if the behaviour persists then an alternate to iWork may need to be looked at, sadly.

As for the versions thing, well I want a "Save As" option back. And I need to see a better UI for the revision stuff before I decide how I like it. And more information on how it may do automatic cleanup of old version information or if that's something that will clog the disk if you forget to clean it up manually.

Good points. I wasn't aware that "Save as" has been removed. And the potential for ever expanding file sizes for documents is something I've been wondering about. If I creare a Pages document for example and embed a large image file > save > remove the image, is the image still held within the body of the file so it can be reverted to? if so, how do I remove it? If OSX or the app removes it automatically, on what criteria will it be removed (last accessed date, creation date, size threshold)?

tkermit
Feb 21, 2012, 10:51 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this is a big omission?

I actually always thought RSS functionality didn't belong in Safari, and certainly not in Mail, so I can see why they chose to remove it.

And it's not like there's a shortage of 3rd party dedicated RSS readers. I personally like Reeder (http://itunes.apple.com/app/reeder/id439845554?mt=12).

Bear
Feb 21, 2012, 11:55 AM
I actually always thought RSS functionality didn't belong in Safari, and certainly not in Mail, so I can see why they chose to remove it.
...I actually agree with you on mail. However, it seems right for Safari since you wind up in a web browser anyway to read the whole article if you're interested in it.

musio
Feb 21, 2012, 01:11 PM
If you're like me and subscribe to multiple feeds, having them in your email so you can view them at leisure or priority (as they are in mail...) is the best way for me

It's crazy for them to remove this! I get all the latest view via RSS pop up in my mail!
So many pages on apple.com have RSS feeds so for apple to remove the ability to view any feeds in their new operating system must be a product of beta....

As always; http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Takuro
Feb 21, 2012, 02:06 PM
I think Apple is making a push to strip Mail of features irrelevant to mail. Notes has its own dedicated app now, for instance. The RSS reader was a bit out of place in the Mail app too, and if you ask me, the implementation sort of sucked. You're citing that Mail was able to maintain multiple feeds, mark unread items, etc., but these features are standard of any RSS reader app. Most standalone apps do a lot more.

There are plenty of better alternatives out there, and I'd highly recommend Reeder. Just check the Mac App Store, and keep an open mind.

musio
Feb 21, 2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks for suggestion Reeder ...but my frustration is that's another app i have to keep open, Mail is one app that pushes everything, aggregates everything, can have notifications, etc.

Now i have to download another app to hog some RAM and keep open at the same time as all the others

I disagree with mail just being for email only. This isn't the iPhone. Every OSX app is a litter bigger and better. RSS is very relevant to getting mail as the reason you use RSS is to get the latest updates...like mailinglists and subscriptions which are old hat compared to technology such as RSS where you can track changes. Should Apple strip out attachments and just keep mail text only?! ;)

RSS really fitted with mail well. Even for work scenarios keeping updated with technology or news, it's a standard feature of MS outlook and many other mail applications. RSS is synonymous with new information and updates which for me, means the mail application.

EDIT: there are SO many RSS links on the apple sites and others...unless Apple release an integrated RSS app, they should keep up with the tech and include some sort of aggregator.

Peace
Feb 21, 2012, 02:29 PM
RSS is still in mail.

It's done a bit differently though and hasnt been implimented yet

musio
Feb 21, 2012, 03:06 PM
Peace, that's breaking news then! I've been reading differently on all sorts of sites. Have you had any updates with you ML copy?

MattInOz
Feb 22, 2012, 05:02 AM
RSS is still in mail.

I was wondering with the disappearance of RSS if Apple wasnt planning to do something to challenge google reader. Although they'll need to allow developers access it if they do create an iCloud store for RSS.

I never liked having it mail it never felt like a fit.

CodeBreaker
Feb 22, 2012, 12:32 PM
I completely agree with the OP on this. I too am a big fan of RSS, and like to keep my subscriptions in Mail. If they removed it, then it will be yet another senseless move by Apple.

Yes there are tons of RSS readers available on the Mac, but another app = less workspace, which nukes my productivity along with the lame concept of Mission Control. And I like the in-built RSS reader in Mail.

Things are not looking very good for me. I finally adjusted to Lion and was just hoping that future updates will add more stability and fix a few issues. But if Mountain Lion is going to drop Lion's existing features, I may end up reverting to SL. :(

Peace
Feb 22, 2012, 12:34 PM
Peace, that's breaking news then! I've been reading differently on all sorts of sites. Have you had any updates with you ML copy?

I completely agree with the OP on this. I too am a big fan of RSS, and like to keep my subscriptions in Mail. If they removed it, then it will be yet another senseless move by Apple.

Yes there are tons of RSS readers available on the Mac, but another app = less workspace, which nukes my productivity along with the lame concept of Mission Control. And I like the in-built RSS reader in Mail.

Things are not looking very good for me. I finally adjusted to Lion and was just hoping that future updates will add more stability and fix a few issues. But if Mountain Lion is going to drop Lion's existing features, I may end up reverting to SL. :(

Did you not read/see my post ?

In other words since there is RSS buttons for iCloud and smart mailboxes in mail I think RSS is going to be integrated into OSX like Twitter is.

Michaelgtrusa
Feb 22, 2012, 12:42 PM
This will take some weight out of safari.

musio
Feb 22, 2012, 01:00 PM
Peace, I did read your post which is why i referred to it as 'breaking news' - every mac news site on the net is reporting RSS is gone from lion for good! :)

Peace
Feb 22, 2012, 01:02 PM
Peace, I did read your post which is why i referred to it as 'breaking news' - every mac news site on the net is reporting RSS is gone from lion for good! :)

Well what do they know eh ? ;)

CodeBreaker
Feb 23, 2012, 12:07 PM

In other words since there is RSS buttons for iCloud and smart mailboxes in mail I think RSS is going to be integrated into OSX like Twitter is.

I did read your post. But I won't stop my whining until i see a few feeds in that empty window. :D

nuckinfutz
Feb 23, 2012, 12:22 PM
I still doubt it's coming. Clicking on RSS feeds in Safari wants to send you to an external app.

We'll see but I think Apple's ideal is to clean up Mail by removing items that don't necessarily jive in a communications program (i.e notes and RSS to a lesser extent)

ac3320
Feb 23, 2012, 01:51 PM
dude just use Reeder. Seriously. RSS in Mail is retarded man

BaldiMac
Feb 23, 2012, 02:23 PM
RSS is still in mail.

The second screenshot refers to IMAP or Exchange folder subscriptions. It has nothing to do with RSS. It's been in Mail for several versions.

musio
Feb 23, 2012, 02:23 PM

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14362326&postcount=10

Not having RSS in mail is 'retarted' as you put it..

Today i got some nice RSS articles from Macrumours and an apple support article i subscribed to. Nice.

Donza
Feb 23, 2012, 02:27 PM

+1

Big fan of RSS and I never could imagine using something else than dedicated RSS reader app for that.

ac3320
Feb 23, 2012, 08:04 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14362326&postcount=10

Not having RSS in mail is 'retarted' as you put it..

Today i got some nice RSS articles from Macrumours and an apple support article i subscribed to. Nice.

Hey broski I can't knock you for not wanting too many apps open, but if you haven't already tried Reeder, or maybe Pulp for Mac, you should. RSS in Mail was just too cumbersome, and these apps really present the feeds as they should be. Mail really dumbs things down when it comes to RSS.

It's only one more app to have open...

musio
Mar 24, 2012, 05:01 PM
Hell testers, any RSS changes in DP2?

CyBeRino
Mar 24, 2012, 05:55 PM
They probably figured out that no one uses rss anyway, and those that do use a a purpose-built app for it.

Back when I still read rss feeds, I used endo.

2stepbay
Mar 26, 2012, 01:45 PM
I like the RSS feeds in Safari. I can quickly see what I want to read.

I really don't want to jump around to different apps to get RSS Internet content. Hopefully, RSS is part of Safari 5.2.

Helpful to send feedback to Apple's Safari Team
http://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html

musio
Mar 26, 2012, 03:54 PM
As big point of RSS some posters don't see is that it provides updates and information to your mail box as some sites don't have mailing lists or you might not want to subscribe. Why create another app? Sorry to those who are reading this again but people aren't reading. How would I get my macumors feeds to my mail and iPhone pushed otherwise?

Krevnik
Mar 28, 2012, 02:39 PM

I hate to say it, but you are confused on this one Peace. Something I didn't think I'd say on this forum.

The search options may still be there (artifact?), but that listing of "Subscriptions" aren't RSS subscriptions. IMAP has the concept of subscriptions built into the protocol. An IMAP client normally only subscribes to the INBOX folder, and anything under it by default. A lot of servers put all folders under INBOX by default for this reason. So your "Vacation Planning" folder is really "INBOX\Vacation Planning". It gets around oddities of the IMAP subscription model.

http://www.polaine.com/2008/05/apple-mail-folder-subscriptions-and-gmail-imap/

So no, RSS is not in ML's Mail.app… although some vestiges may remain.

Bear
Mar 28, 2012, 04:36 PM
I like the RSS feeds in Safari. I can quickly see what I want to read.

I really don't want to jump around to different apps to get RSS Internet content. Hopefully, RSS is part of Safari 5.2.

Helpful to send feedback to Apple's Safari Team
http://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.htmlAgreed, it makes supreme sense for Safari to continue being an RSS reader, after all, why should you have to switch applications to read the rest of an article?

tkermit
Mar 28, 2012, 04:39 PM
why should you have to switch applications to read the rest of an article?

Most RSS readers, I think, have an integrated webkit view. Reeder certainly does.

Bear
Mar 28, 2012, 04:41 PM
Most RSS readers, I think, have an integrated webkit view. Reeder certainly does.Yes, but Safari has certain extensions I prefer to be in place when I go to a web page of any sort.

BaldiMac
Mar 28, 2012, 04:52 PM
Yes, but Safari has certain extensions I prefer to be in place when I go to a web page of any sort.

Such as?

talisto
Apr 4, 2012, 08:02 PM
I'm pretty bummed to hear about the removal of RSS from Mail as well. RSS in Mail is totally appropriate; look at the layout of Reeder or NetNewsWire, they're nearly identical to Mail! Folders, article/message list, message view pane. That layout works equally well for both email and RSS feeds. I love seeing new RSS articles inline with my email, it's exactly the same as being on an email mailing list. I've given Reeder a try, but I don't really see how it works any better than Mail does.

musio
Apr 6, 2012, 08:00 AM
I'm pretty bummed to hear about the removal of RSS from Mail as well. RSS in Mail is totally appropriate; look at the layout of Reeder or NetNewsWire, they're nearly identical to Mail! Folders, article/message list, message view pane. That layout works equally well for both email and RSS feeds. I love seeing new RSS articles inline with my email, it's exactly the same as being on an email mailing list. I've given Reeder a try, but I don't really see how it works any better than Mail does.

Exactly. It's not much to include RSS in mail. Why would you have to open another app when my mac is on? Why does apple bother having its own site available on RSS and then take it away.

Please send apple feedback if you feel the same

Merlin748
May 8, 2012, 04:46 PM
I have found this in Safari in MT Lion preview 3:

arkmannj
May 8, 2012, 08:29 PM
I have found this in Safari in MT Lion preview 3:

interesting.
I'd be surprised if someone didn't make an RSS Extension for Safari, so the removal of RSS there may not be a big deal. Personally I'm fine with Safari losing some pounds, I don't read RSS in Safari. I do like having them in my email like other messages though.

musio
May 12, 2012, 03:48 PM
That's the sad point, it's not in mail. No safari and no mail.

This all indicates you need a separate ram eating rss reader open

ac3320
May 12, 2012, 04:52 PM
That's the sad point, it's not in mail. No safari and no mail.

This all indicates you need a separate ram eating rss reader open

I am not sure what kind of delusional worldview by which you have based your computing life, but any decent RSS reader uses practically no RAM and/or CPU. Reeder uses a whopping 0.9% of the CPU and I can't imagine Caffeinated using much more...

bogatyr
May 12, 2012, 05:29 PM
What is a good RSS app that doesn't require Google in the backend? I prefer to avoid sharing my reading habits with ad companies.

Cougarcat
May 12, 2012, 05:34 PM
What is a good RSS app that doesn't require Google in the backend? I prefer to avoid sharing my reading habits with ad companies.

I use Pulp (http://www.acrylicapps.com/pulp/mac/), although if you have a ton of feeds it might not work well for you. It syncs with its iPad counterpart.

Newsfire (http://www.newsfirex.com/) is my second favorite. It's free, but the developer has pretty much ceased work on it.

I'm really hoping Pulse (http://www.pulse.me/) will make a Mac client soon.

Weaselboy
May 13, 2012, 12:02 PM

Vienna (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/18789/vienna) is free and pretty nice and does not require Google Reader sync.

jameslmoser
May 13, 2012, 01:01 PM
I wwouldnt be surprised if they made a standalone rss reader so they could make it use notification center and have it configured differently than the mail app.

Cougarcat
May 13, 2012, 01:03 PM
I wwouldnt be surprised if they made a standalone rss reader so they could make it use notification center and have it configured differently than the mail app.

The fact that Safari points to the app store makes me believe they are leaving this one to the third parties, at least for now.

CodeBreaker
May 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
Vienna (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/18789/vienna) is free and pretty nice and does not require Google Reader sync.

I switched to Vienna since I came across this thread. It is wonderful. If you want a more recent version (with full screen support and sharing), get the beta from their Github repo (https://github.com/ViennaRSS/vienna-rss/downloads).

But I still think Mail was the best place for RSS. Maybe someone will write an external plugin (like GrowlMail) for RSS.

Dark Dragoon
May 16, 2012, 06:22 PM
The other option would be to run a server which takes a list of RSS feeds and delivers them via IMAP, so you just add the server as a standard IMAP email account to Mail and have the posts from the feeds come into your mailbox as emails.

It looks like there are a few old projects which do this or similar, though I've yet to see how well they work.

Kariya
May 16, 2012, 07:14 PM
I submitted a bug report to Apple and they basically told me no RSS in ML going forward. Which is a shame. Safari has been my RSS reader since Tiger.

ErikGrim
May 20, 2012, 01:00 AM
Another vote for Reeder.

Merlin748
Jun 5, 2012, 05:12 AM

I'm using NewsBar (http://www.newsbar-app.com), eats only 20-30 MB of RAM, feeding news fast. Can sync feed list with Google Reader is you want, but has own feed reader engine.

CodeBreaker
Jun 5, 2012, 01:04 PM
1. By removing the RSS support totally in Safari, did this effect the RSS feed based Dashboard Widgets ?

2. So, nothing will work than anymore, no feeds, no displaying of news, no RSS of MacRumors, NO WORKING RSS FEED BASED DASHBOARD WIDGETS ???

3. Aeeh, so if this is dead and dusted, why apple promoting it with the Dashcode SDK - RSS Widget Template ???

4. Aeeeeh, i'm confused - WHY Apple doing that ??? This is going backward in to the Dark ages in massive speed - Depressing !

5. Going Google/Android Development a.s.a.p. (Update: Just starting now, install win7(yuk!) then SDK) - advise anyone doing the same - Apple is turning dangerous stupid - no fun anymore - thx and good bye apple ;-(

Dude what? They did not take away your freedom to make an RSS app/widget yourself. They removed the RSS features from Mail/Safari. I'm pretty sure the built-in RSS screen saver and widgets will work as before.

And you don't need to install Windows to develop on the Google/Android platform.

matrix07
Jun 6, 2012, 05:11 AM
1. By removing the RSS support totally in Safari, did this effect the RSS feed based Dashboard Widgets ?

2. So, nothing will work than anymore, no feeds, no displaying of news, no RSS of MacRumors, NO WORKING RSS FEED BASED DASHBOARD WIDGETS ???

3. Aeeh, so if this is dead and dusted, why apple promoting it with the Dashcode SDK - RSS Widget Template ???

4. Aeeeeh, i'm confused - WHY Apple doing that ??? This is going backward in to the Dark ages in massive speed - Depressing !

5. Going Google/Android Development a.s.a.p. (Update: Just starting now, install win7(yuk!) then SDK) - advise anyone doing the same - Apple is turning dangerous stupid - no fun anymore - thx and good bye apple ;-(

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

(There's so many things wrong in one post it's not even funny.)

Jun 17, 2012, 01:02 AM
What is the best RSS feed reader in terms of doing boolean queries (apart from Mail)? I tried Vienna but the searching seemed basic without looking into it in too much depth. I'd also prefer not to have to subscribe to a service like Google Reader; but may have to if there is nothing else.

Antist
Jul 25, 2012, 11:51 AM
I didn't realize Safari would lose the RSS feeds in Mountain Lion, and I have a bunch. Does anyone know of an app that will import all my feeds from Safari? Doing them all manually would be a pain. :(

Beta Particle
Jul 25, 2012, 12:16 PM
Honestly, RSS had no place being in the Mail app in my opinion, and the implementation wasn't very good at all.

I am disappointed to see RSS support being dropped by web browsers though. (not just Safari, Firefox dropped it a while back, and Chrome never supported RSS)

I would recommend spending $5 for Reeder (http://reederapp.com/mac/store), which is a considerably better way to use RSS. If you don't like the idea of Google knowing what you follow, just create a free account that you only use with Reeder. Google Reader sync is generally much quicker than actually fetching RSS from sites directly in my experience, and it means you can easily move between apps/devices.

Now i have to download another app to hog some RAM and keep open at the same time as all the othersActually, it's very likely that Mail bloated up its RAM usage when using RSS feeds.

I disagree with mail just being for email only. This isn't the iPhone. Every OSX app is a litter bigger and better. RSS is very relevant to getting mail as the reason you use RSS is to get the latest updates...like mailinglists and subscriptions which are old hat compared to technology such as RSS where you can track changes. Should Apple strip out attachments and just keep mail text only?! ;)RSS is for news, Mail is for mail.

I wouldn't want all my iMessage conversations merged into Mail either. Use the right tool for the job, an RSS reader such as Reeder (http://reederapp.com/mac/screens) or Newsfire (http://www.newsfirerss.com/) is a much better way of handling it.

I will certainly agree with the sentiment that OS X has been one step forwards, two steps back for a while now. Probably since 10.4 I would say. There are still things 10.4 handled better than Mountain Lion does today. Frankly, I find Mission Control quite useless compared to the old 10.4 Exposé (10.5 started resizing windows and fitting them to a grid) and Spaces compared to fullscreen apps.

I didn't realize Safari would lose the RSS feeds in Mountain Lion, and I have a bunch. Does anyone know of an app that will import all my feeds from Safari? Doing them all manually would be a pain. :(Apparently this (http://www.tempel.org/SafariFeedToOPML) will convert your list to a standard OPML file, which any good RSS app/service should be able to import.

dcorban
Jul 25, 2012, 12:20 PM
Wow. People actually used Mail for RSS? The Safari interface is perfection.

daneoni
Jul 25, 2012, 01:10 PM
I miss the Safari implementation dearly but i've learnt to adapt with Reeder.

musio
Jul 25, 2012, 04:43 PM
RSS is for news, Mail is for mail.

Mail was invented for news. Both are inextricably linked. I get mail or news from friends, subscriptions to sites, offers I've signed up too, news of updates of products, news that mountain lion is out (without rss ;) ) it's all one and the same. I choose rss instead of subscriptions to job sites and band news for example.

RSS is my primary way of getting up to date *news* ie macrumours. I'll miss getting all of this in one convenient place. You can still filter it.

Now I have to have two apps open constantly when I use to have one.

Antist
Jul 25, 2012, 05:52 PM
Apparently this (http://www.tempel.org/SafariFeedToOPML) will convert your list to a standard OPML file, which any good RSS app/service should be able to import.

Thank you! :) I was not able to use this with Safari on my iMac, as I had already upgraded to Mountain Lion and the RSS feeds were all disabled. Luckily I hadn't updated my Macbook Air, so I was able to convert my list to an OPML file from there.

Gads, I had 147 rss feeds in Safari. Was I the only one who used it for that, or are a lot of people really unhappy about this?

2stepbay
Jul 25, 2012, 06:26 PM
[RSS apps] really present the feeds as they should be.

Not so. In Reeder, a feed doesn't show comments. It's a rather sterile approach for rendering web content. Makes so much more sense for RSS to be within a browser. Enough of the multiple screens and having to go back and forth.:mad:

Jul 25, 2012, 08:44 PM
RSS is still in mail.

Peace, how did you get to those dialogue boxes?

musio
Jul 26, 2012, 02:55 AM
Any way to get google reader to email you when a feed is updated?

Hume
Jul 26, 2012, 03:32 AM
Could please someone check if it's possible to install the old version of Safari on ML? http://appldnld.apple.com/Safari5/041-5467.20120509.F6PPX/Safari5.1.7LionManual.dmg

Beta Particle
Jul 26, 2012, 03:59 AM
Mail was invented for news. Both are inextricably linked. I get mail or news from friends, subscriptions to sites, offers I've signed up too, news of updates of products, news that mountain lion is out (without rss ;) ) it's all one and the same. I choose rss instead of subscriptions to job sites and band news for example.I really couldn't disagree more. Email is for communication, and what you call news, I call junk mail, and I don't want anything to do with it.

When I want to read news/articles, I'll use a feed reader, and I really recommend spending the $5 on Reeder.

I don't want site updates showing up in mail and alerting me as if an important message has come in.

Separate tasks belong in separate apps. If I'm concentrating on work, my feed reader is closed, but I definitely want to be receiving emails.

Any way to get google reader to email you when a feed is updated?Most RSS readers can be set on a schedule if you prefer. Personally, I now update manually when I actually have the time for it, rather than checking every 15 minutes (or whatever you set) and having it notify me. Far better to read items in batches than have lots of little distractions breaking your chain of thought throughout the day.

Not so. In Reeder, a feed doesn't show comments. It's a rather sterile approach for rendering web content. Makes so much more sense for RSS to be within a browser. Enough of the multiple screens and having to go back and forth.:mad:Reeder has the option to display the web page rather than the formatted RSS data. I must say, I always wondered who the people were that liked this.

It's far more efficient, and much nicer to read a properly formatted feed than most websites in my opinion. Most page designs push ads and links to other articles on the site, rather than focusing on the content.

Thank you! :) I was not able to use this with Safari on my iMac, as I had already upgraded to Mountain Lion and the RSS feeds were all disabled. Luckily I hadn't updated my Macbook Air, so I was able to convert my list to an OPML file from there.Excellent, I'm glad that worked for you!

Gads, I had 147 rss feeds in Safari. Was I the only one who used it for that, or are a lot of people really unhappy about this?I used to have over 300 feeds being checked daily, but have now cut that down below 70 and I aim to get it down to about 50 or less. I found that I was actually getting a lot of overlap between sites. (Mac sites in particular seem to all overlap heavily with whatever seems to be the popular app of the week etc.)

Safari (or Mail) was far too inefficient to get through that number of feeds on a daily basis. I was spending more time going through them all than actually reading content. This is why I think Reeder is one of the best apps for it. Content is well formatted and you can quickly scan through new items and mark them off or star/send to Instapaper to read later.

tezro
Jul 26, 2012, 04:43 AM
I loved RSS in Mail. Sad to see it's gone now.
Never used Safari for RSS feeds. It's a webbrowser, not a client for something else.

Also, I never did any funky things with my RSS feeds so Mail worked fine for me.
I have now installed Vienna. Looks nice and simple. Just like Mail.
But it's another window of a program I did not want.

Seriously thinking about restoring from Time Machine and stay at Snow Leopard. Not just because of RSS, but the whole tearing apart of Mail and iCal. Really dislike it.

musio
Jul 26, 2012, 07:03 AM
what you call news, I call junk mail, and I don't want anything to do with it.

it seems we both have different views & uses on what 'email' is but i'm happy to agree on our enjoyable discussion of RSS! :)

For me, I lookout for (let's call them 'notifications' instead of 'news' which is my term or 'junk mail' which is yours) Macrumors (how would you know about the Lion upgrade? ;)) and 1 or 2 bands that I'd like to know what is happening here and now and want an email about. Not forgetting very important software update news on specific spa I use for work. This i only look at on my desktop in my mail app when i'm home in my leisure time. Thank god MS outlook at work has RSS as I have to keep up with industry related news on RSS...

I we're defining what email is but even still, 300 feeds down to 70!? That's a hell of a lot and would swap me. I have fewer feeds and only a handful are updated on a regular basis

Nevertheless, now i'm looking for an RSS app that uses the notification centre. Thanks for the recommendation of Reeder which i've just bought into.

Have to come to terms with no more RSS in ML so i've got a thread on this topic of getting notifications here :) http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1411455

Soulflower
Jul 26, 2012, 07:23 AM
I'm sure this is a very dumb question but I used the RSS feeder in Mail which is now gone. Did I lose my list of subscriptions or where are they now?

Weaselboy
Jul 26, 2012, 07:32 AM
Somewhat related (hope this helps some of you a bit), I noticed this Safari extension (http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/2624/subscribe-to-feed-safari-extension) that at least gives you back the RSS button in Safari. Clicking the RSS button this extension provides will open the RSS feed in your default browser app.

Soulflower
Jul 26, 2012, 07:43 AM
Somewhat related (hope this helps some of you a bit), I noticed this Safari extension (http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/2624/subscribe-to-feed-safari-extension) that at least gives you back the RSS button in Safari. Clicking the RSS button this extension provides will open the RSS feed in your default browser app.

I installed it but I have no idea where it is. I don't see the button. :)

Weaselboy
Jul 26, 2012, 07:50 AM
I installed it but I have no idea where it is. I don't see the button. :)

I see it on mine.

https://img.skitch.com/20120726-x9i84w3kdayqqnf9yxatw5kwwc.jpg

Soulflower
Jul 26, 2012, 08:02 AM
duh. Now I do too. Thank you. Now I need a reader I suppose.

My big concern is the list of feeds I had in my email. Did I lose all of them just like losing all my bookmarks?

Also, if I decide to how do I uninstall that button?

vnle
Jul 26, 2012, 09:25 AM
Yep, this is basically the one factor keeping me from switching to ML - I depend heavily on my RSS feeds :mad:

I have been looking at alternatives though but I don't seem to be able to find any suitable ones.

Does anyone know of a RSS reader that pretty much does what mail does? Keeps all the articles since you've subscribed to a particular feed (even after you read them) - not only that, but keep local copies as well. For example, whenever I wipe my system, I can just open up the mail app, replace some files, and all my articles are there from when I first added that feed. A bonus (though mail doesn't do this) is grab articles from even before I subscribed to that feed!

Thanks!

Weaselboy
Jul 26, 2012, 09:52 AM
duh. Now I do too. Thank you. Now I need a reader I suppose.

My big concern is the list of feeds I had in my email. Did I lose all of them just like losing all my bookmarks?

Also, if I decide to how do I uninstall that button?

Hmm... click your desktop to bring focus to Finder, then do shift-command-g and enter ~/Library/Mail/V2/RSS and tell me what is there?

That is where Lion Mail stored the RSS info. I upgraded to Mountain Lion and that folder is still there on my system, although it is empty because I had no RSS feeds in Mail. I wonder if you can find something in that folder in a format like OPML (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opml) that can be converted for import to an RSS reader.

If you want to uninstall that extension, just go to Safari preferences and in the Extensions tab you will see an uninstall button for each extension you have installed.

----------

Yep, this is basically the one factor keeping me from switching to ML - I depend heavily on my RSS feeds :mad:

I have been looking at alternatives though but I don't seem to be able to find any suitable ones.

Does anyone know of a RSS reader that pretty much does what mail does? Keeps all the articles since you've subscribed to a particular feed (even after you read them) - not only that, but keep local copies as well. For example, whenever I wipe my system, I can just open up the mail app, replace some files, and all my articles are there from when I first added that feed. A bonus (though mail doesn't do this) is grab articles from even before I subscribed to that feed!

Thanks!

Most RSS clients have a setting to "never" purge the read articles. I just checked in Reeder, NewsRack, and Caffeinated on my system and all three have this setting in preferences.

Soulflower
Jul 26, 2012, 07:06 PM
Oh, thank you! Yes, they were all there. I've copied them and put them in a folder on my desktop. Can you make a recommendation now about what to do and how to import them?

I also found how to remove the extension. Not that I want to but when I do something it is good to know how to undo it too.

I appreciate your help so much.

Weaselboy
Jul 27, 2012, 11:09 AM
Oh, thank you! Yes, they were all there. I've copied them and put them in a folder on my desktop. Can you make a recommendation now about what to do and how to import them?

I also found how to remove the extension. Not that I want to but when I do something it is good to know how to undo it too.

I appreciate your help so much.

So there was a separate file there for each feed you had? What is the file extension on the files?

Soulflower
Jul 27, 2012, 11:44 AM
Inside the RSS Feeds folder that I copied to my desktop there is an icon for each RSS feed. Inside that there is another folder and a file info.plist. INside the other folder there's a file called Data. Inside the Data folder there are other folders with a number for a name like 5 and 7. More folders inside of that...etc, etc.

Is this any help at all? Would it work to do a search for the type of file extension I need?

Thank you so much.

Weaselboy
Jul 27, 2012, 11:48 AM
Inside the RSS Feeds folder that I copied to my desktop there is an icon for each RSS feed. Inside that there is another folder and a file info.plist. INside the other folder there's a file called Data. Inside the Data folder there are other folders with a number for a name like 5 and 7. More folders inside of that...etc, etc.

Is this any help at all? Would it work to do a search for the type of file extension I need?

Thank you so much.

.plist files are used to store settings for lots of OS X apps, so I am guessing Mail made one plist file for each RSS feed. Right click on one of those plist files and try to open it with Textedit and see if you can decipher the RSS feed from in there.

I don't think we are going to find any automatic way to import these like I had hoped. May be able to do it manually one plist at a time. How many are there?

Edit>> I searched a little and may have a solution.

Look at the very bottom of this hint (http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20080319094830396) and see the below command.

IFS=$'\n';for i in $(find ~/Library/Mail/V2/RSS/ -name "Info.plist");do grep "http://" $i | sed "s/.*\(http[^<]*\).*/\1/" >> ~/Desktop/Mail\ Feeds.txt;done

Make sure the RSS folders you moved are back in their original location, then run this command in terminal. That should give you a text file with all your news feeds.

Then copy/paste the contents of the text file to here (http://reader.feedshow.com/goodies/opml/OPMLBuilder-create-opml-from-rss-list.php) to convert it to an OPML file.

You can import the OPML file into any RSS reader you want including Google Reader.

One other thing I read is to look in you Safari bookmarks to see if the RSS feeds are there also. If they are, that is much easier to export.

Soulflower
Jul 27, 2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks for your help. I wish they were in my Safari bookmarks but sadly they are not.

I can at least see what they were so the easiest way for me is to just find them all and save them again in some reader. I needed to clean them out anyway. Thank you for trying.

Weaselboy
Jul 27, 2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks for your help. I wish they were in my Safari bookmarks but sadly they are not.

I can at least see what they were so the easiest way for me is to just find them all and save them again in some reader. I needed to clean them out anyway. Thank you for trying.

Can you try the Terminal commands I mentioned and see if that works? I am curious now. :D

Soulflower
Jul 27, 2012, 12:35 PM
:D I may be doing something wrong because I'm not accustomed to doing this but when I entered that into the terminal it said "no such file or directory"

The RSS feeds are in their original location because I didn't move them, I just copied them to the desktop.

Weaselboy
Jul 27, 2012, 12:41 PM
:D I may be doing something wrong because I'm not accustomed to doing this but when I entered that into the terminal it said "no such file or directory"

The RSS feeds are in their original location because I didn't move them, I just copied them to the desktop.

Hmm... dunno. Is there an info.plist in folder? I kinda out of ideas. :confused:

Soulflower
Jul 27, 2012, 12:47 PM
Not that I can tell.

Thanks anyway.

v0dka
Jul 27, 2012, 03:58 PM

Thank you for the suggestion as I'm a new Mac user and liked the RSS support in Mail. Vienna crashes often and at the moment I'm using Thunderbird which supports RSS too but it's an additional application. I do not understand why Apple do not support RSS anymore and therefore somebody suggested to fill out http://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html so that Apple is aware that some users want this back.

Ledgem
Jul 27, 2012, 05:42 PM
Those of you who used Mail for RSS feeds and have switched to Reeder, how is it? I've been considering it, and based on what others have written here it can do what I'm looking for (follow feeds and also store selected stories).

As someone else mentioned, this is pretty much the one issue keeping me from upgrading to 10.8. Once I have another RSS reader set up, I'll be good to go.

Soulflower
Jul 27, 2012, 06:26 PM
I'm interested in opinions of Reeder as well.

Ledgem
Jul 27, 2012, 10:12 PM
I recently came across another software suggestion that I hadn't seen before - RSS Owl (http://www.rssowl.org/). Free, multi-platform, supports Google Reader but also functions on its own... Reeder looks nicer (although to be fair, RSSOwl's screenshots are all from the Windows version), and being Mac-centric I'd expect it to feel more polished than a multi-platform application. Can't hurt to give it a try, though.

Update: Installed RSS Owl. I'm sure it's a great program functionally, but the interface reminds me too much of Linux (and the 1990's/early 2000's). If Reeder were $50 I'd probably put the interface issue aside, but since it's fairly cheap I'm back to considering purchasing it.

The next big question is how to export RSS feeds from Mail into a format that can be imported elsewhere. I've found programs that can generate OPML files with a slight tweak to the directory, and while I was able to import them into RSSOwl, the feed itself didn't work. Google Reader couldn't parse it, either. There has to be a way to automate it...

Ledgem
Jul 28, 2012, 08:49 AM
I've gone ahead and purchased Reeder, after deliberating between Reeder and Caffeinated (which is a few dollars more expensive). Caffeinated's interface resembled Mail a bit more, but Reeder's feature set was said to be a bit more full.

Reeder has a nice interface, but it's quite different from Mail. Like Mail, you can group feeds into folders; unlike Mail, you can't select multiple feeds at a time. The inability to select multiple things also extends to the news stories.

This lead me to the first major shock: you can't delete news stories that appear in the feeds. As someone mentioned previously, Reeder's default setting is to remove stories when they are two weeks old (presumably whether or not they are starred?). You can set Reeder to never remove read items and to download local copies, but without a way to manually delete them it seems like you would get a large buildup up unwanted feeds. For those who are interested, Reeder's other settings allow you to remove feeds upon reading them, within a matter of days, or after one month.

If you're like me and you save a small percentage of your feeds, Reeder provides you with a number of options, but they're all external. Reeder has built-in functionality to allow you to save articles to Evernote, Pinboard, Delicious, and Zootool; you can also send the articles to Readability, Instapaper, and Pocket. Admittedly I've only ever heard of Evernote, so I downloaded Evernote (available on their website or in the Mac App Store for free) and created a free account. Reeder affords you a lot of versatility with customizing keyboard shortcuts, so I created a shortcut for sending articles to Evernote.

Unfortunately I was unable to find a way to automatically export my RSS list from Mail to Google Reader. I've been doing it manually, using Google Chrome with the RSS Subscription Extension installed, which detects and adds feeds to Google Reader with just two or three clicks (although some websites still need to be done fully manually, as the extension's RSS detection doesn't seem to be flawless). I have less than 40 feeds, so it shouldn't take too much time.

Is this the best way to go about it? I don't know. I've had to sign up with two services (Google Reader and Evernote) and download two programs (Reeder and Evernote) to replace the functionality that Mail provided. For all the talk of stripping out RSS in order to streamline and de-bloat, if Mail isn't damn fast in 10.8 I'm going to be pretty miffed.

Weaselboy
Jul 28, 2012, 08:59 AM
Those of you who used Mail for RSS feeds and have switched to Reeder, how is it? I've been considering it, and based on what others have written here it can do what I'm looking for (follow feeds and also store selected stories).

As someone else mentioned, this is pretty much the one issue keeping me from upgrading to 10.8. Once I have another RSS reader set up, I'll be good to go.

I have tried about every RSS app there is for OS X going back to the old NetNewsWire days, and honestly as far as functionality, they are all pretty similar. What separates them IMO is appearance/layout.

Just looking at App Store RSS readers, the top ones are probably Reeder, Caffeinated, and NewsRack. NewsRack development seems to have stagnated. Between Reeder and Caffeinated just pick which you think looks best. I have all three I just mentioned and have settled in with Caffeinated mainly because it has "themes" that allow you to customize the look of the articles, and Reeder does not. I just don't like the way the articles look in Reeder. Just a personal preference.

To directly answer your question, Reeder is a nice RSS app and works quite well.

Below are screen caps of the same article in both Caffeinated and Reeder. This is a custom theme modified for Caffeinated.

Caffeinated shot:

https://img.skitch.com/20120728-qqfk3khewh92nbesfpcwc5i2xs.jpg

Reeder shot:

https://img.skitch.com/20120728-edm2jw8n58ybii6nc75kcpy84x.jpg

----------

Is this the best way to go about it? I don't know. I've had to sign up with two services (Google Reader and Evernote) and download two programs (Reeder and Evernote) to replace the functionality that Mail provided. For all the talk of stripping out RSS in order to streamline and de-bloat, if Mail isn't damn fast in 10.8 I'm going to be pretty miffed.

You might find Instapaper (http://www.instapaper.com/) better for saving individual articles to read later. Reeder (and most RSS readers) have Instapaper support built in with a KB shortcut.

As far as deleting individual articles form the feed, I don't think any reader is going to be able to do that because they rely on Google Reader for the feeds. All you can do is show/hide feeds for a given period.

----------

Unfortunately I was unable to find a way to automatically export my RSS list from Mail to Google Reader. I've been doing it manually, using Google Chrome with the RSS Subscription Extension installed, which detects and adds feeds to Google Reader with just two or three clicks (although some websites still need to be done fully manually, as the extension's RSS detection doesn't seem to be flawless). I have less than 40 feeds, so it shouldn't take too much time.

Soulflower and I were tinkering with this earlier (post #77) and I thought we had it figured out with a Terminal script, but he had troubles with it.

Soulflower
Jul 28, 2012, 09:21 AM
Soulflower and I were tinkering with this earlier (post #77) and I thought we had it figured out with a Terminal script, but he had troubles with it.

And he is a SHE. :D

Weaselboy
Jul 28, 2012, 09:32 AM
And he is a SHE. :D

Doh! :o Sorry bout that. :)

Ledgem
Jul 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
You might find Instapaper (http://www.instapaper.com/) better for saving individual articles to read later. Reeder (and most RSS readers) have Instapaper support built in with a KB shortcut.
My interest in saving articles is less about saving to read later and more about archiving. I wouldn't expect a web service would be set up for something like that, so you need something that manages local copies. Or have I misjudged Instapaper's capabilities?

As far as deleting individual articles form the feed, I don't think any reader is going to be able to do that because they rely on Google Reader for the feeds. All you can do is show/hide feeds for a given period.
I suppose that's true. My first RSS feed manager was Opera; when I switched over to using Apple Mail, I also began to use Mail for RSS feeds. Both Opera and Mail handled RSS feeds very similarly, checking for new stories themselves and treating each article as if it were a piece of mail. I suppose that method has fallen out of style.

I did indeed see this. There were a few Mail to OPML scripts and programs floating around, and on your advice I was able to tweak some of them to produce an output (they look for mail/rss, which doesn't exist on 10.7; you suggested that the directory was mail/v2/rss, which worked). The problem is that the OPML file was unusable by Google Reader, and while RSSOwl could import it, the feeds were essentially the file structure of the RSS "boxes" in Mail. While my feeds were there in their correct folder structure and order, they didn't work - I guess RSSOwl couldn't parse what the actual feed URL was supposed to be, either.

Weaselboy
Jul 28, 2012, 10:06 AM
My interest in saving articles is less about saving to read later and more about archiving. I wouldn't expect a web service would be set up for something like that, so you need something that manages local copies. Or have I misjudged Instapaper's capabilities?

No... you are on target. Instapaper is more for "hey here is something I want to save to read later on." It saves the link and allows you to read in in a nice, text only format and can be exported to many formats. It does not however, store the actual article. So if you saved something to read later and the web page went away, you would have no way to see it in Instapaper. If you want to archive the entire text of the article, Evernote might be better for you.

musio
Jul 28, 2012, 11:08 AM
Whilst all RSS readers are similar none have notification features like mail has in 10.8. If anyone finds some, still them in this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1411455

Vienna has a nice bound in dock feature to notify you but why not use new ML features?

Weaselboy
Jul 28, 2012, 11:32 AM
Whilst all RSS readers are similar none have notification features like mail has in 10.8. If anyone finds some, still them in this thread [url]http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1411455[/url.

It is being worked on for Caffeinated (http://twitter.com/caffeinatedapp/status/228574354529714177).

Weaselboy
Jul 30, 2012, 10:37 AM
Noticed a new tip in Mac OS X hints today with a different Terminal command to convert the RSS plist file than the one discussed in post #77. Here (http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120726022004295) is the link with the tip if any of you want to have another go at it.

Beta Particle
Jul 30, 2012, 11:04 AM
unlike Mail, you can't select multiple feeds at a time. The inability to select multiple things also extends to the news stories.Isn't that why you would group feeds in the first place? I select my "Mac" group and all Apple-related news is there for example.

This lead me to the first major shock: you can't delete news stories that appear in the feeds. As someone mentioned previously, Reeder's default setting is to remove stories when they are two weeks old (presumably whether or not they are starred?). You can set Reeder to never remove read items and to download local copies, but without a way to manually delete them it seems like you would get a large buildup up unwanted feeds. For those who are interested, Reeder's other settings allow you to remove feeds upon reading them, within a matter of days, or after one month.Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but when you say "delete" isn't that the same as "mark (all) as read" ?

If you're like me and you save a small percentage of your feeds, Reeder provides you with a number of options, but they're all external.Starred is "saved" as long as you tell Reeder to keep the local cache indefinitely.

Is this the best way to go about it? I don't know. I've had to sign up with two services (Google Reader and Evernote) and download two programs (Reeder and Evernote) to replace the functionality that Mail provided. For all the talk of stripping out RSS in order to streamline and de-bloat, if Mail isn't damn fast in 10.8 I'm going to be pretty miffed.Here's the thing, now that you're on Google Reader, you have a centralized source for all your RSS data. (much faster updating) You can easily export an OPML file if necessary, you can easily switch between apps, you can view your feeds directly on the web, and it's all synced, even if you're using different apps on different devices.

My interest in saving articles is less about saving to read later and more about archiving. I wouldn't expect a web service would be set up for something like that, so you need something that manages local copies. Or have I misjudged Instapaper's capabilities?On the iPad, Instapaper does what you want, when you open the app, it will download and save all your marked articles to read later. I don't think there's an equivalent app for Macs yet? (this is partly why I have moved over to the iPad for the majority of my RSS/Web Article reading)

Ledgem
Jul 30, 2012, 06:20 PM
Isn't that why you would group feeds in the first place? I select my "Mac" group and all Apple-related news is there for example.
When I'm simply creating groups in the "manage" window, I had to drag and drop feeds one by one into groups because I couldn't select multiple at a time. That seems silly.

Selecting multiple feeds at once - say, to star, since deleting isn't even an option - can't be done. It all has to be done one by one. That sort of thing makes sense on the iPad or iPhone, but on a computer?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but when you say "delete" isn't that the same as "mark (all) as read" ?
If you're in the "unread" view mode, then it might as well be. But no, when I said delete, I meant really delete the news article.

But given the way that Reeder and other programs like it work, that doesn't really fit. Programs I used in the past would check the feed themselves, and then download the article (or the RSS snippet). It was essentially a piece of email - it would sit there until you deleted it. Reeder is just checking what's on your Google Reader account. You can't delete articles from there, so why should you be able to delete them from within Reeder?

Starred is "saved" as long as you tell Reeder to keep the local cache indefinitely.
I may be misunderstanding how this works. I see an option for "keep read items" as well as a checkbox for "download read items." If I set "keep read items" to "always," are you saying that it will only keep the things that I star, and it will automatically clear away the rest?

My fear is that it's going to keep everything that I read, which will junk up the program and take up unnecessary space.

Here's the thing, now that you're on Google Reader, you have a centralized source for all your RSS data. (much faster updating) You can easily export an OPML file if necessary, you can easily switch between apps, you can view your feeds directly on the web, and it's all synced, even if you're using different apps on different devices.
It does sound rather impressive, and I'm sure that many people are benefitting from it. My routines around my RSS newsfeeds don't really benefit from it, though... sorry to be a downer.

On the iPad, Instapaper does what you want, when you open the app, it will download and save all your marked articles to read later. I don't think there's an equivalent app for Macs yet? (this is partly why I have moved over to the iPad for the majority of my RSS/Web Article reading)
I got that Instapaper is for "reading later," but I'm talking about archiving things for years. I'm under the impression that Instapaper was not designed for such a thing?

Beta Particle
Jul 31, 2012, 04:14 AM
When I'm simply creating groups in the "manage" window, I had to drag and drop feeds one by one into groups because I couldn't select multiple at a time. That seems silly.Hm, I agree that does seem silly. Initially, I set up all my feeds on the Google Reader site, where you have better options for that if I recall correctly. (actually, it may have just imported them from the OPML file I uploaded, I'm unsure as I made the switch years ago)

Selecting multiple feeds at once - say, to star, since deleting isn't even an option - can't be done. It all has to be done one by one. That sort of thing makes sense on the iPad or iPhone, but on a computer?I think it's just that you have your workflow set up one way, and I'm not sure there's a way to replicate that now. I think you can do more-or-less what you're wanting, but it's just handled in different ways.

I primarily read in the iPad version of the app now (though I started with Reeder on the desktop) but what I'll do is read the articles I want to see now, star the articles I want to read later, and then hit "mark all as read" on that feed.

Or I'll load up a group (e.g. "Apple" or "Tech") and do the same thing, then mark all as read again to clear them off my list. I should point out that I use the view which sorts articles chronologically in a group, rather than grouping by site. (which doesn't make much sense in my opinion)

Well to be more specific, I actually use "starred" and "send to Instapaper" for two separate archived lists. Instapaper gets long-form articles I want to read, Starred is for things I'll want to look at later in the short-term, but don't necessarily treat as an "archive".
If you're in the "unread" view mode, then it might as well be. But no, when I said delete, I meant really delete the news article.Well no, you can't delete an article, I suppose that's because what you're looking at is the feed from the site, and not a locally-managed list of articles. But that's what the "unread" view is for.

In the "unread" view, when an article is marked as read, it disappears off the list and is essentially "deleted" though it will stay visible in the "all" view for another week, or however long you set.

I'm only ever in the unread or starred views really. If I've read something I want to refer to again, I star it, or mark it as unread if it's only something I'll want later in that day and not archived for a long time.

The "all" view is really for when you forgot to archive an article and want to bring it up again. At least that's how I treat it.

I may be misunderstanding how this works. I see an option for "keep read items" as well as a checkbox for "download read items." If I set "keep read items" to "always," are you saying that it will only keep the things that I star, and it will automatically clear away the rest?Looking over the options again, that is very confusing. Because I haven't used the Mac app for a long time, there probably isn't actually anything downloaded for me to test this.

The way I have it set up is to sync "all" starred items, which should keep a local copy of the article text on that machine.
Having the cache images for starred items option should also keep a local copy of any images in the articles.
I have it set to clear read items after one week. This is anything that has been read, but not starred.

With it set up like this, and having WiFi disabled, I'm able to read all of my starred items offline on my iPad. (going back to March 2011, which is the earliest one I have starred, and when I purchased my iPad 2)

I got that Instapaper is for "reading later," but I'm talking about archiving things for years. I'm under the impression that Instapaper was not designed for such a thing?The web service does not cache items. However the iOS app does download and cache items to the device, saving all the text & images locally so you can read them indefinitely. Unfortunately I don't think there's a desktop app for Instapaper that does this.

What I have had happen before though, is that I've marked an article for Instapaper to download, but then didn't actually run the app for a few days, and by the time I loaded the app, the article no longer existed. (up until recently, there was no way for Instapaper to download articles automatically in the background)

If I had loaded the app right away, it would have cached the content and I would have been able to read it any time I wanted.

MacBoobsPro
Jul 31, 2012, 04:34 AM
Even the friggin RSS screensaver is gone!!

I had it set to football transfer news for years and now I just get the crappy 'flurry' screensaver.

ubittibu
Jul 31, 2012, 08:27 AM
Sure it's gone and not just hidden?
After update to ML, today i deleted all rules and reinstalled little snitch, when i opened mail it asked for blocking connection from pubsubagent to each of my previous feeds!
So mail tried to connect to previous feeds.. why?? :/

Gemütlichkeit
Jul 31, 2012, 09:15 AM
bummed about this. I thought they only removed it from safari.

this really doesn't make sense

markpaul0
Jul 31, 2012, 10:05 AM

If you hold down the alt/option button when in an application (pages for example) the "Save as" option comes up. There are different options in both the FILE and WINDOW tabs when you press the Option key, depending on which program you're in.

Hope that solves at least one problem :)

sash
Jul 31, 2012, 12:57 PM
Just tried to subscribed to my blog's system activity log -- to no avail, obviously. No built-in RSS support?! C'mon...

musio
Jul 31, 2012, 04:13 PM
I think it's crazy how some of Apples support pages use RSS and they have removed native features in the OS to get updates!

musio
Jul 31, 2012, 04:17 PM
(or the RSS snippet). It was essentially a piece of email - it would sit there until you deleted it.

Yep, that was what RSS was to me in my mail box - Instant news that belonged in mail. Plenty of us think and use RSS this way. There's a great rss app that will take your google reader feeds and push selected ones to your phone which is my alternative for ios. Reeder for osx

Ledgem
Aug 1, 2012, 09:18 PM
I think it's just that you have your workflow set up one way, and I'm not sure there's a way to replicate that now. I think you can do more-or-less what you're wanting, but it's just handled in different ways.
I think this is really what it comes down to. Now that I've been using Reeder for a few days, I'll admit that it feels faster to go through newsfeeds as compared with how it was in Mail. I don't save articles all that often, so the inability to do so isn't huge; and there's that Evernote tie-in that allows me to do so if I really want to.

Mail is also faster (or at least, it seems that way). Whether that's due to the removal of RSS functionality or not, I can't say, but I can't complain.

I'm still adjusting, but I'm coming to feel that I prefer it this way over how it was in Mail.

keithlamont
Aug 3, 2012, 02:27 PM

Soulflower, you can open the Info.plist files with TextEdit, and in each you will see the address for the RSS Feed. Copy it, and use it to resubscribe to the feed in any news reader.

----------

Using the resources at ifttt.com (http://ifttt.com/) can restore some of the RSS in Mail functionality. Select the Feed Channel, and there are recipes for forwarding new items from an RSS feed to an email account. A bookmarklet to automate the process would be the icing on the cake.

aperantos
Aug 7, 2012, 08:22 AM
Are there any RSS clients available that can import RSS entry data from Mail?

I have several feeds in Mail (on Leopard) where I keep the full post content, and would like to retain access to this in whatever new client I end up having to use.

Thanks.

Ledgem
Aug 8, 2012, 08:40 PM
Are there any RSS clients available that can import RSS entry data from Mail?

I have several feeds in Mail (on Leopard) where I keep the full post content, and would like to retain access to this in whatever new client I end up having to use.

Thanks.
I don't think so... but I believe you should be able to export each RSS entry as a PDF or RTF. It's not ideal, but at least you can save your archived news that way.

Ledgem
Sep 12, 2012, 06:49 PM
Just thought I'd give a quick update about Reeder behavior to those who are interested. If you "star" an article, Reeder keeps it even beyond the time period to purge items that have already been read. I can't say whether or not it keeps them indefinitely, but I can't see an option for discarding those items... my oldest starred item is close to two months old, my purge time is set to two weeks, and articles that have not been starred that are older than two weeks are indeed being cleared out. That bodes well for archiving.

lkgeo
Nov 21, 2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the very helpful info on this thread. I just moved to ML and am transitioning to a true RSS reader (Reeder, for now).

I haven't figured out a way to approximate my previous workflow:
(a) review news in Apple Mail via feeds or (for sources without RSS) news via email.
(b) if I wanted to read the entire article, I'd open it in Firefox.
(c) after reading it, if I wanted to save it I'd use Instapaper folder bookmarks in FF to route it to an appropriate Instapaper folder. Folder contents then go via RSS to an equivalent folder (group) in DevonThink Pro, its end destination, where there's material from a lot of different sources, organized by topic.

I see how to get an article from Reeder to the default Instapaper folder via sharing. Does anyone know if it's possible -- from Reeder or any other Mac-based reader -- to send an article to a specific Instapaper folder, or directly to a DevonThink group? (I don't want unreviewed feeds going directly to DT, just select articles.) Maybe I'm going to end up with a browser-based reader, because I can use the Instapaper folder bookmarks from there...

Any other suggestions for reviewing, reading and selectively storing a range of news articles (everything from NY Times to ACM articles): alternatives to RSS? Alternatives to Instapaper that might work?

Thanks (sometimes I wonder if all of this is really improving productivity! : )