Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Long story short, while attempting to use a Windows system recovery image to restore my Boot Camp partition, I managed to completely delete my Lion Recovery Partition.

Lion Internet Recovery still works, but I want a real recovery partition so I can activate FileVault2. The Lion Recovery Assistant won't work, since requires that a recovery partition be present on the SSD. All the online hacks I have seen so far either do the same, or require the version of Lion downloaded from the App Store.

Will formatting the drive and reinstalling Lion using Lion Internet Recovery rebuild the recovery partition?

On a side note, has anyone had luck using Winclone 2.3.3 (the version fixed to work with Lion) to clone a Windows 7 64-bit Boot Camp partition? I've found that the Windows System Recovery image is a bit useless. If I try to restore it from Windows Setup, it messes up my Mac partitions. If I install Windows manually and attempt to restore within Windows, it won't copy system files over (just data). CCC won't make bootable partitions. I might try Paragon, but $50 seems a bit much.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Formatting (repartitioning) the drive and reinstalling Lion will recreate the recovery partition. I've done that myself. I'm not sure if there is any easier method though.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks. That worked for me. I cloned my existing drive using CCC and then used Migration Assistant to move all the data over. It's encrypting using FileVault2 right now.

Also, Winclone 2.3.3 worked to back up my Windows 7 Boot Camp partition. I just de-selected the option to compress the backup. Winclone seemed to take a bit longer than I remember to restore the drive, but in the end it worked pretty much how I remember it used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.