Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I always wanted an iPod and never bought one since I thought they were so expensive(not really a music person) any way iPods are over and now its iPod touch world.

I want to buy this 5th Generation iPod , the black one that play video. I am just wondering few things:

1)Are these things still supported by Apple? I mean if I connect it to my macbook running Lion and latest iTunes, will it work? I know apple has this thing for abandoning support for things so quickly

2)How long does these things survive? This iPod is released back in 2005 which seems like a century ago. Do they die soon? Do they survive a long time? do they occasionally malfunction ? Do they have replaceable parts? I understand they don't.

3) Any advice on cleaning a used iPod touch?

thanx

TheCaptain1129

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
I have the 5th gen iPod and I use it everyday

To answer your questions...

1) I also have a Macbook Pro and it's running Lion and the latest iTunes and it syncs perfectly fine, as for the iPod OS itself Apple doesn't release any updates to it anymore, it is on 1.3 now

2) I have used mine daily since I bought it new and it still works fine, the battery doesn't last long at all, but it's usually getting used in my truck so I can plug it up, every now and then it will freeze and it lags really bad, but it is still very useable, I have dropped mine a few times with no case on it and it has dents and scratches, but it's not dead. You can get replaceable parts for it from "ifix it"

3) do not know

Hope this helps!!!

DrNoellyG

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
I have a 5th generation iPod. I don't use it as much nowadays because basically my iPhone is my iPod, but I do have it in my car since about last year and does get used.

I've had it since around November of 2006 and still works great, battery life is pretty decent, it lasted and still had battery after a drive from Tucson to Las Vegas.

I am running Lion and it is still supported so I don't see why Mountain Lion would break that. I have used it under Windows and obviously my macs. Has bene formated a couple times, has been about 95% full and almost empty at times.

So to answer 1) yes, and 2)so far 5 years and counting, no repairs done.

As for 3), I used to clean mine the same way I clean my reading glasses, seems to do the trick.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I didn't know iPods freeze and lags. But thanks on the information.

Is there any specific video format that plays on this device?
Can you play the shows/films download from iTunes now days?

TheCaptain1129

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
There is only about 2 GB of space left on mine and since it has been dropped a few times i'm sure that's partly why it lags. It usually does it when I'm skipping songs in a big playlist, it will take about 5 seconds to change the song after I press the button. When it freezes it just reset it by holding down the menu and center buttons together and that fixes it, but that doesn't happen often. This link http://support.apple.com/kb/SP26 will tell you what all video formats it will play and it will play videos downloaded from iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.