PDA

View Full Version : $16,000 Worth of iPhones Stolen from Charlotte Apple Store in Apparent Inside Job

MacRumors
Feb 22, 2012, 12:24 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/22/16000-worth-of-iphones-stolen-from-charlotte-apple-store-in-apparent-inside-job/)

The Charlotte Observer reports (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/02/21/3034025/16k-in-iphones-stolen-at-northlake.html) that a total of 25 iPhones valued at over $16,000 have been reported stolen from Apple's Northlake Mall retail store (http://www.apple.com/retail/northlakemall/) in Charlotte, North Carolina. While smash-and-grab robberies are not terribly unusual at Apple retail stores, this case has an unusual twist in that the suspect appears to have been an employee of the store."The iPhones were stolen from the Genius Room located inside of the store," a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police report says. "The suspect did have access to the Genius Room."

The stolen phones, which are valued at $16,425, include 22 16-gigabyte iPhone 4S models, one 64-GB 4S model, one eight-GB iPhone 4 model and one 32-GB 4S model.Charlotte's WBTV confirms (http://www.wbtv.com/story/16983853/police-in-search-of-apple-store-employee-who-stole-25-iphones) that the suspect was a store employee and that the 25 phones were stolen over a period of time between December 1 and January 11. Police are reportedly searching for the suspect.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/charlotte_northlake_mall_store.jpg

Apple's Northlake Mall retail store is one of two in the Charlotte area, having just opened last August (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/23/apple-retail-stores-opening-this-week-in-paris-charlotte-and-little-rock/).

Article Link: $16,000 Worth of iPhones Stolen from Charlotte Apple Store in Apparent Inside Job (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/22/16000-worth-of-iphones-stolen-from-charlotte-apple-store-in-apparent-inside-job/)

ArchaicRevival
Feb 22, 2012, 12:28 AM
Surprised it took someone this long to pull this off!

wordoflife
Feb 22, 2012, 12:28 AM
They're going to find the employee, and he's going to get in trouble - probably put behind bars.

Not sure why people do these stupid things.

dukebound85
Feb 22, 2012, 12:31 AM
find my iphone(s)?

PatrickFromCA
Feb 22, 2012, 12:43 AM
I'm sorry, Charlotte has really built itself up in the last several years, but this is astonishing, and disappointing.

hobo.hopkins
Feb 22, 2012, 12:43 AM
It's really unfortunate that someone would take advantage of their position in that way, although I'm confident that it won't take long to find and arrest him/her.

It Doesn't Say Much for Charlotte, Does it?

I'm sorry, Charlotte has really built itself up in the last several years, but this is astonishing, and disappointing.

I don't think this says anything about Charlotte; just the lengths to which thieves will go.

SvenSvenson
Feb 22, 2012, 12:55 AM
It Doesn't Say Much for Charlotte, Does it?

Let's go with that logic, shall we?

It doesn't say much for:

Apple Employees
People who want to own iPhones
Residents of Charlotte
Residents of North Carolina
Americans
Shop workers
Men/Women (Delete as applicable)
Whites/Blacks/Asians/Indians/etc (Delete as applicable)
People

Kinda hard to generalise fron one person's actions.

Steve

timbo400
Feb 22, 2012, 12:58 AM
They're going to find the employee, and he's going to get in trouble - probably put behind bars.

Durrrr, for money?

Why else do you think people drug deal, prostitute, steal organs and the list of illegal things carry on.

Whether they're going to find him/her is if they're still in the country and if there's enough evidence to convict the suspect.

I'm sorry but internet posters have really built themselves up over the last several years, but this is astonishing and disappointing to read such a generalisation. /s

PS. No matter where you're or where you're at from you can still commit crime. It's the individual's mindset for greed.

rocknblogger
Feb 22, 2012, 01:09 AM
What's astonishing is that someone actually used "astonishing and disappointing" in reference to a daily occurrence in every state and city on earth!!

Mr Kram
Feb 22, 2012, 01:24 AM
25 phones over 6 weeks? LOL

jayhawk11
Feb 22, 2012, 01:49 AM
Must have been stealing service part units, because the retail box versions are kept in a locked cage. Surprising he was able to pull this off, because the GR is typically pretty busy during business hours. Pretty rare to be in there by yourself.

Ishmumrhmn
Feb 22, 2012, 02:00 AM
Is the store in the picture in Metrotown or does every apple store look the same :O

ProVideo
Feb 22, 2012, 02:29 AM
Those cutouts of the people look creepy in that empty store.

Saladinos
Feb 22, 2012, 02:43 AM
I wouldn't think this says anything about the place. Honestly, this could have happened anywhere.

nickelt
Feb 22, 2012, 03:04 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mmmmm stealing from Apple is like stealing from the mob. He could have balls but i guess hes just stupid.

rmwebs
Feb 22, 2012, 03:18 AM

How do we know its a He and not a She, exactly? ;)

----------

Is the store in the picture in Metrotown or does every apple store look the same :O

They mostly all look the same except the large popular ones such as New York and London.

Our second London shop in Brent Cross looks identical to the one pictured.

MCP-511
Feb 22, 2012, 04:15 AM
Every unit has a unique UDID. I would think Apple knows what batch went where and a few minutes looking threw their records would yield the UDIDs of the stolen devices. My guess is, soon as one is activated or it hits an Apple server for anything, Apple will be able to locate it and eventually it will be traced back to the perpetrator of the crime.

CplBadboy
Feb 22, 2012, 04:31 AM
Apple need to get rid of those cardboard people from the shop windows. They're freaky. Everytime I pass an Apple store I get a bit of a fright and literally on the verge of chinning one through the glass!;)

KingJosh
Feb 22, 2012, 04:40 AM
I hope they sell them at a reasonable price. Is it safe to buy stolen iPhone? Can it be tracked via serial number or something? I wouldn't mind getting a stolen 4S if I can find one that is brand new(not off an innocent person). If they were cheaper I would buy lol

----------

Apple need to get rid of those cardboard people from the shop windows. They're freaky. Everytime I pass an Apple store I get a bit of a fright and literally on the verge of chinning one through the glass!;)

I saw an old woman fall over backwards from a clothing shop mannequin. I couldn't hold back the laughter but I helped her up

----------

How do we know its a He and not a She, exactly? ;)

----------

They mostly all look the same except the large popular ones such as New York and London.

Our second London shop in Brent Cross looks identical to the one pictured.

Must have farted in the room. Girls don't fart

Macman45
Feb 22, 2012, 04:41 AM

Yep, and the phones will be rendered useless...Strange for an Apple employee, he or she must have had a grudge.

KingJosh
Feb 22, 2012, 04:46 AM
Yep, and the phones will be rendered useless...Strange for an Apple employee, he or she must have had a grudge.

grudges are so dangerous. If I owned a company I would treat my staff like angels just to keep the company in good shape

BobbyRond
Feb 22, 2012, 04:47 AM

I used to be astonished and disappointed, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

marcusj0015
Feb 22, 2012, 06:16 AM
Why would you steal already activated, mostly 16GB iPhones?!?!?!?

They literally have box loads of unactivated iPhones of all capacities...

Bearxor
Feb 22, 2012, 06:37 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is where you have to know your limits as a thief. 2 or 3 would have been easy to explain away as miscounted or just lost in the store somewhere. 25 is going to raise a a red flag.

RobMoss
Feb 22, 2012, 06:47 AM
This raises a question for me. As with the looting in London last year, if someone steals an iphone, ipad, etc, surely the serial number would identify it as a stolen unit, and you wouldn't be able to activate it. So (and this is my reason for asking), if you were to inadvertently buy a stolen item off eBay, where do you stand..? I'd like to buy my wife a 2nd hand iPad (to stop her hogging mine! :D), but am really worried that I'd end up having it confiscated when I tried to restore it. And yes, I know that in all probability, most iPads on eBay aren't stolen, but it would be just my luck..

Does anyone have any experience of such a situation..? What did Apple do..?

soco
Feb 22, 2012, 06:55 AM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/charlotte_northlake_mall_store.jpg
Dear God... there's a family stuck inside that store! :eek:

Shoot
Feb 22, 2012, 06:59 AM
Surprised it took someone this long to pull this off!

happens all the time at apple and all retail jobs. didnt mr post on the london one last year that made the papers. the employee even had a promising music career and decided to steal devices etc.

its called shrink.

----------

This raises a question for me. As with the looting in London last year, if someone steals an iphone, ipad, etc, surely the serial number would identify it as a stolen unit, and you wouldn't be able to activate it. So (and this is my reason for asking), if you were to inadvertently buy a stolen item off eBay, where do you stand..? I'd like to buy my wife a 2nd hand iPad (to stop her hogging mine! :D), but am really worried that I'd end up having it confiscated when I tried to restore it. And yes, I know that in all probability, most iPads on eBay aren't stolen, but it would be just my luck..

apple work with positive intent in mind. they won't block any of the devices, however the cell networks might if they were carrier locked devices.

---------

my big q is why do so many devices in such a short period. dumb thief. either way he got what was coming to him, stealing is real low.

parish
Feb 22, 2012, 07:04 AM
Dear God... there's a family stuck inside that store! :eek:

I can think of worse places :p

Maybe they are the theives?

Hmm, since this site is MacRumors I presume that the theft of 25 iPhones from the Charlotte NC store is merely a rumour?

soco
Feb 22, 2012, 07:05 AM
I can think of worse places :p

Maybe they are the theives?
I think we need a full investigation of the little girl. She looks like the one from Men In Black... PHYSICS BOOKS!?

Chupa Chupa
Feb 22, 2012, 07:16 AM

Said the guy from "FromCA" where, of course, only law and order types live...

Occupy Oakland Breaks The Bank:

http://asianconservatives.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Occupy-Oakland-Anarchists-ay-Wells-Fargo.jpg

Fainer
Feb 22, 2012, 07:20 AM
"Some men just want to watch the world burn". - Alfred

marcusj0015
Feb 22, 2012, 07:20 AM

There are many ways to activate it, some involve changing the Device ID, others involve having a job at an Apple store and simply making those Devices IDS disappear, or better yet, mark them as stolen, others involve the black market, others yet involve going to AT&T and telling them you bought the iPhone overseas or whatever, and having them activate it. there is ALWAYS a way around anything.

chrono1081
Feb 22, 2012, 07:33 AM
Every unit has a unique UDID. I would think Apple knows what batch went where and a few minutes looking threw their records would yield the UDIDs of the stolen devices. My guess is, soon as one is activated or it hits an Apple server for anything, Apple will be able to locate it and eventually it will be traced back to the perpetrator of the crime.

This. Not sure if anything has changed since back when I sold cell phones, but the UDID's were tracked and they had to be registered on the carriers system to work. (Back then you had to call in but today I assume its done via computer).

Rocketman
Feb 22, 2012, 07:56 AM
Over/under?

Does Apple ID every purchaser and brick the phones remotely or recover them as stolen property, or do they let it roll and maximize revenue from the buyers?

Rocketman

Bearxor
Feb 22, 2012, 08:00 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apple won't hold end users whom bought a phone from this guy responsible.

motoleo
Feb 22, 2012, 08:10 AM
How do they doing it???

I'm still trying to figure out how these people robbed an entire Apple store in 30 seconds flat!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTZl_ng_8T8

Miraculous.

qtx43
Feb 22, 2012, 08:12 AM
If that is so, then why won't the carriers do that for individuals who have their phones stolen? Is it going to take lawsuits or criminal proceedings against them to make this happen? It's not like it would cost the carriers huge sums of money to keep a list of banned UDIDs.

Hustler1337
Feb 22, 2012, 08:15 AM
Am I the only person who was initially shocked at the figure of $16,000 for only 25 iPhones?

Then I realised my maths wasn't too great lol

CodexMonkey
Feb 22, 2012, 08:17 AM
Don't worry, mate, you'll get your one phone call.

Now, I know you're angry at getting caught, but try not to grip the phone too tight, won't you...?

Mad-B-One
Feb 22, 2012, 08:21 AM
Stealing them is easy. My guess is that he was "selling" them to his friends just faking the transaction. They were probably in on it and kicked back some money... Once, I had a neighbor who was a "real" '68 and he told me stories of his wild days where friends of his were working in stores as cashers and they loaded up the whole cart and walked out paying for 10% until the casher was fired - and then the next applied for the job. Back then, it was rather called freeloading... there were no cameras around at that time and it was hard to prove. Nowadays, stealing electronics comes with the downfall that - theoretically - they are traceable. Now, if Apple can find their 25 phones, I just have one stupid question: Why the heck can they not find customers' stolen phones for free then? Oh, right, because replacing that with new iPhones means business... :cool:

garbeth
Feb 22, 2012, 08:21 AM
grudges are so dangerous. If I owned a company I would treat my staff like angels just to keep the company in good shape

Not enough companies realise this...

needfx
Feb 22, 2012, 08:26 AM
Am I the only person who was initially shocked at the figure of $16,000 for only 25 iPhones?

that makes two of us...!

CodexMonkey
Feb 22, 2012, 08:47 AM
If that is so, then why won't the carriers do that for individuals who have their phones stolen? Is it going to take lawsuits or criminal proceedings against them to make this happen? It's not like it would cost the carriers huge sums of money to keep a list of banned UDIDs.

Too true. I had four Macs stolen and they had two copies of Adobe CS3 on them (it was a while ago). CS3 allowed two machines to use the same code but in order to use a third machine, you had to "de-commission" one of the other two over the internet. Each time you launched CS3 it checked over the internet to see if your licence was valid and that there were only two in play.

When I reported the loss to Adobe, in order to get new Licence Codes (given that, after re-installing CS3, it still showed my stolen machines as commissioned), I asked if they would be keeping an eye out for an IP address that had booted up and checked the old Licence Code over the internet.

I forget what they said, but it sounded suspiciously like "Nah."

The thieves also stole my car keys - and car - and a week later that car was used in a stabbing, yet Adobe could have said to the police well in advance... "Hey, check out this IP, they're using stolen computers."

And... it still takes three days for a cheque to clear. Just goes to show you that technology is capable of a whole lot more than those in charge of it allow it to deliver.

convergent
Feb 22, 2012, 09:01 AM

What the heck does this have to do with Charlotte? One moron does something and you are suggesting it says something about the whole city? Seriously?

cvaldes
Feb 22, 2012, 09:20 AM
Said the guy from "FromCA" where, of course, only law and order types live...

Occupy Oakland Breaks The Bank:
(photo omitted)

Please, don't judge Californians by one person's inanely retarded and utterly self-righteous comment.

:) ;) :p

Doc750
Feb 22, 2012, 09:24 AM
What the heck does this have to do with Charlotte? One moron does something and you are suggesting it says something about the whole city? Seriously?

Ur right, the whole state sucks :D

SBlue1
Feb 22, 2012, 09:30 AM
*shaggy sings "it wasn't me"*.... :D

gr8gatzby
Feb 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
I live 1 mile from this store.....checking the craigslist iphone activity right now.

charlituna
Feb 22, 2012, 11:16 AM
find my iphone(s)?

These were service replacement phones and were not active at the time they left the store so that wouldn't work.

It wouldn't be that hard to do. One or two slipped in pockets in baggy jeans or getting friends to come in for "appointments" and then not ringing up the replacement etc.

Employee games like this are the most common form of theft in retail. Another version is discounts that someone really shouldn't get like ringing up someone as a student when you know they are not.

Or the kid I fired when I worked for Godiva for giving away dipped strawberries to cute girls and then claiming they didn't sell and he trashed them. He also gave out tons of chocolates from the piece case etc. Or would claim that whole new boxes of pieces were actually expired and take them home and not trash them. He didn't consider that we had cameras all over the store and saw what he was doing.

marcusj0015
Feb 22, 2012, 11:20 AM

No, I was too. then I realized they meant full retail non subsidized iPhones.

terraphantm
Feb 22, 2012, 11:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

There's no way I would risk my job and jail time for only $16k... What was this guy thinking?

nylonsteel
Feb 22, 2012, 11:31 AM
re original article

2 things

too bad aapl is so successful that money will have to be spent on added security measures

it would have added insult to injury if the robbers left blackberry and windows phones in place of the iphones

go aapl

KrankyGuy
Feb 22, 2012, 11:47 AM
This perp will try to hide himself for a while

charlituna
Feb 22, 2012, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't think this says anything about the place. Honestly, this could have happened anywhere.

Yep. And this is likely not the only Apple Store that has had such goings on. Just the only one that got out into the media.

Back when they could make exceptions on water damage etc, I have been told that employees that came in for bar appointments had to be handled by managers not the techs to make sure that someone wasn't 'one time' helping out a buddy when it was really beyond the guidelines (or wasn't the first time).

----------

don't have to go that far. There won't be a purchase record in the system to put them under warranty. So whomever gets it will be screwed when it comes to repairs and such. That's a pretty good punishment for someone that buys in such a way.

As for the employee. Fired, flagged as not eligible for rehire for certain. Charges for theft very possible.

----------

Apple won't hold end users whom bought a phone from this guy responsible.

yes and no. They aren't going to call the cops etc on the user. But they also won't warranty an item that comes up in the system as never sold. So the end user would get screwed in that way.

and if these were replacements from the service bar they wouldn't be in the system until they were applied to a repair. Someone that would steal that many in such a short time might not be smart enough to find a way to rig a repair to have them report correctly.

----------

they are basing that on the full retail price of the phones.

Gasu E.
Feb 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
How do they doing it???

I'm still trying to figure out how these people robbed an entire Apple store in 30 seconds flat!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTZl_ng_8T8

Miraculous.

Flash rob. :D

ThinkDifferentX
Feb 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
@gr8gatzby Good work. Let catch this loser!

----------

On the subject of grudges

I think many people would love to work for Apple. I applied. I'm sure they treat their employees as good or better than most.

That in no way justifies theft. It's not Apple's fault that someone stole, it's the perpetrator's fault.

If you work for Apple, and you don't like it, either quit and join the unemployed or ****. In no way do you have carte blanche to steal.

marksman
Feb 22, 2012, 01:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

THIS is why google does not have stores.

It is potentially a crime to receive/buy/possess stolen goods. Most likely you would just have go return them and be out the money you spent. Unless it was too good to be true where it was clear the item was stolen.

Dylatron2000
Feb 22, 2012, 01:38 PM

The sad part is that store usually is that empty....

Bearxor
Feb 22, 2012, 01:39 PM
I live 1 mile from this store.....checking the craigslist iphone activity right now.

I thought I had noticed an uptick of cheap < $300 4S's in January, but attributed it to Christmas. Haven't seen a lot go that cheap recently.

----------

Really? I have to quit going to South Park then. Place is always PACKED.

Moof1904
Feb 22, 2012, 01:44 PM

I think the thief was one of the cutouts.

"Make me stand here all day, trapped like a veal with this stupid grin on my face, will you? I'll steal some iPhones and fund my way outta this place..."

CodexMonkey
Feb 22, 2012, 02:32 PM

THIS is why google does not have stores.

If they did, but you didn't know where they were, which store would you go to in order to help you find them?

Dylatron2000
Feb 22, 2012, 02:41 PM
Really? I have to quit going to South Park then. Place is always PACKED.[/QUOTE]

yeah South Park is a nightmare!! Probably better customer service there, though, and less scandal ;) but the quietness of North Lake is nice.

Most times I go its about a 3:1 sales associate to customer ratio.

Keebler
Feb 22, 2012, 02:42 PM
It always amazes me at how stupid criminals are.

Go ahead, steal the iphone. At some point, people will connect to the internet and I'm sure Apple has ways of communicating with their devices.

morons

:)

andyx3x
Feb 22, 2012, 03:11 PM

Depends on his/her criminal record. If they have no prior offenses, they will definitely get no jail time, just have to pay it back and probation. Probably even one or two prior offenses will get no jail time.

You have to do an awful lot in this country to go to jail. People embezzle hundreds of thousands of dollars from their employers and many never go to jail. It just depends on the individual and what they've done in the past.

Carlanga
Feb 22, 2012, 03:14 PM
$16,000 MRSP worth is in actual China Manufacturing cost = $160 lol
I don't think Apple will lose too much sleep over this.

fruitpunch.ben
Feb 22, 2012, 03:25 PM
Must have farted in the room. Girls don't fart

www.loopinsight.com/2012/02/22/dells-the-computer-to-use-if-taking-photos-of-fat-guys-farting-is-your-thing/

-aggie-
Feb 22, 2012, 03:29 PM
Some thieves are just idiots.

kylebshr
Feb 22, 2012, 03:39 PM
find my iphone(s)?

they wouldn't have been set up if they were new in the packaging. If not, I'm sure he would have had the sense of restoring them.

HyperX13
Feb 22, 2012, 03:47 PM
I bet the thief is an Obama voter. Just saying...

kbfr08
Feb 22, 2012, 03:57 PM
25 phones over 6 weeks? LOL

Geez, I know... what took him so long? The only crime here is that he stole the amount of time it took him to steal these phones

firewood
Feb 22, 2012, 05:03 PM
If that is so, then why won't the carriers do that for individuals who have their phones stolen?

Because they don't want to be liable for false, mistaken, and forged stolen iPhone reports, and false arrests due to paperwork errors as well as joe jobs. Would you want a swat team at your door because 2 bar code labels got swapped?

thegreati
Feb 22, 2012, 05:09 PM
SO they lost roughly 23 iPhones.. (Average retail pricing) I don't see why Apple would be upset about those numbers. NBD

Feb 22, 2012, 05:10 PM

Really? I have to quit going to South Park then. Place is always PACKED.

The North Lake location has always been packed whenever I visit. I haven't been to the South Park location in almost five years.

nsfw
Feb 22, 2012, 05:54 PM
No one mentioned that its possible these end up on ebay viet nam and get sold to someone in russia. How exactly is the UDID/UUID, MAC address, ICC-ID or anything unique going to help Apple track down the thieves?

yeah
Feb 22, 2012, 06:28 PM
They need to install iGuns in thier stores.

SPECS:

10,000 7.62 x 63mm bullets
In-fared/Thermal censors
Built from high-grade titanium
Automatically shuts doors when robber detected

Mr. Retrofire
Feb 22, 2012, 07:06 PM
Apple is such a clean company. ;-)

Prodo123
Feb 22, 2012, 07:09 PM
This thief is stupid.
Stealing a cart full of MacBook Pros would have netted him much, much more...
I hope he gets arrested not only for stealing but also for being stupid as heck.

MrThomas8110
Feb 22, 2012, 07:47 PM
"25 phones were stolen over a period of time..." What is their inventory system like? With high priced, highly coveted items like such how does it not get noticed until that many is missing? At the end of each shift there should be a site survey of the in-store stock. Keep them in stacks of 20s and every 5 stacks will give you 100. Its not like they have thousands upon thousands of devices in the back.

ownamac
Feb 22, 2012, 09:28 PM
Anyone dumb enough to do this likely motivated by expensive drug habit.

qtx43
Feb 22, 2012, 11:23 PM
Because they don't want to be liable for false, mistaken, and forged stolen iPhone reports, and false arrests due to paperwork errors as well as joe jobs. Would you want a swat team at your door because 2 bar code labels got swapped?
I think you're being overly dramatic and swat teams would be overkill. Also, filing a false police report is no laughing matter. How about, when you buy a phone off, for example, craigslist, you get a signed bill of sale. That way, you canprove you actually paid money for it, and aren't the thief. Then they can easily find the real thief, and put them in jail. I know, police don't usually track down small time thieves like this, but at the very least, they should ban the device ids of stolen phones unless and until you straighten it out.

nostresshere
Feb 23, 2012, 07:12 AM

I have seen some illogical,irrational and pointless posts here in the past. This one takes the cake.

And this post probably violates some board rules, but come on?

Meanwhile, why hasn't somebody asked when the Iphone 5 is coming out and what the price of it will be and what features it will have and what the upgrade policy will be and .....

mrxak
Feb 23, 2012, 07:13 AM
Guy would have been better off stealing fifteen 11" MacBook Airs. They don't have GPS and don't require activation to use. He's lying low right now trying to get rid of them, but he's definitely going to be caught eventually.

Steve121178
Feb 23, 2012, 07:55 AM

For money.

adamfilip
Feb 23, 2012, 08:20 AM
so they stole.. what.. 25 iPhones??

doesn't seem so bad..

Macman45
Feb 23, 2012, 08:22 AM
Anyone dumb enough to do this likely motivated by expensive drug habit.

Difficult to retain a job and support such a thing, but they obviously know the person concerned...You may well be correct.

RobMoss
Feb 23, 2012, 10:03 AM
so they stole.. what.. 25 iPhones??

doesn't seem so bad..

You're kidding, right..?

So how many constitutes "bad" in your book..? Maybe I'm old-fashioned here, but I'd say stealing one iPhone counts as "bad".

What would I have to steal from you for you to consider me "bad"..? Because, frankly, if you're cool with someone even stealing one iPhone, then I'd be happy to come to your house any day..!

----------

Guy would have been better off stealing fifteen 11" MacBook Airs. They don't have GPS and don't require activation to use. He's lying low right now trying to get rid of them, but he's definitely going to be caught eventually.

They also don't easily fit in your jeans pocket.

Adamantoise
Feb 23, 2012, 10:19 AM
They also don't easily fit in your jeans pocket.

Duffle bag?

Seriously, this guy/gal didn't think this through. Unless he plans to sell them outside of the United States, he is going to get caught.

Stealing a computer is much easier than stealing a phone.

tcphoto
Feb 23, 2012, 11:43 AM
Apple will do nothing to help you recoup a stolen phone even if the thief brings it in for service. What are the odds that they track these phone down?

stukick
Feb 23, 2012, 12:28 PM
Northlake Mall has become a huge crime scene as of late. Car jackings, shootings, robbery. It's supposed to be in a nicer part of North Charlotte. Oh well...I'll stick with South Park Mall for my Apple Store needs.

str8bucs
Feb 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
I just bought one for $130 2 weeks ago.... hope it wasn't stolen...lol

----------

Duffle bag?

Seriously, this guy/gal didn't think this through. Unless he plans to sell them outside of the United States, he is going to get caught.

Stealing a computer is much easier than stealing a phone.

I'm pretty sure they check employee bags when they leave.

danedane5
Feb 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
16,000 is a drop in the ocean for Apple, Craigslist ahoy.

kokako
Feb 24, 2012, 05:41 AM
oh well

haplain
Feb 27, 2012, 03:29 PM
Apple specifically does not have a policy like bag check. They don't want their customers to feel like they are all thieves, which is why they frown on these kind of policies. More importantly, there is a protocol for theft in the store, being referred to as "water on the floor" as a possible theft in action. Apple accounts for a 5% theft rate of their retail revenue and just write that off. Lost prevention is something Apple takes seriously but takes their loyal customers as their user base, not the bad Apples like many retails store who treat everyone as a culprit. str8bucs is correct. At the end of each night all the last employees are required to show their bag to the active manager. Even women's purses are not taboo so this guy must have thrown them in the trash, "take out" the garbage and then grabbed them at a later point...