Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Anyone having issues with this app? It's suddenly stopped working :(

If your device is jailbroken, you may have your answer :p

I noticed this morning that the app doesn't work on my iPad anymore. Needless to say, I'm a little pissed. LoveFilm tried this crap before and I cut my service before my trial even finished (Netflix all the way!). At least they were honest, their error message actually mentioned jailbreaking.

jimmy83

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
If your device is jailbroken, you may have your answer :p

I noticed this morning that the app doesn't work on my iPad anymore. Needless to say, I'm a little pissed. LoveFilm tried this crap before and I cut my service before my trial even finished (Netflix all the way!). At least they were honest, their error message actually mentioned jailbreaking.

Yup iPhone is JB. Well that's really annoyed me...why would they do this? It worked great before :(

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I'm guessing either pressure from Apple (this might be the tip of the iceberg, perhaps we are going to see more of this type of security in apps), or because of the nature of the app.

Sky etc host a lot of licensed material, and with the competition between the various streaming services in the UK the worst thing possible would be to loose the support of a paranoid studio who fear that they might be getting ripped off. This kind of falls in line with how the content is streamed to PCs. You can usually only watch content through a browser or a dedicated, closed down application.

Of course if it's the second thing, then seriously wtf. If I was a pirate why bother signing up for these paid services to begin with :confused:?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.