Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Sick and tired of the lack of signal in the 4 block radius right around my house, but I've got great wifi at home...

So... why can't I make voice calls from one iOS device to another over wifi like I can with FaceTime? Seems crazier that it's easier for me to have a video conference on my phone than it is to have a voice call.

This cannot be an original idea... if Apple is doing this with FaceTime and iMessages, then why not with voice? Surely they can't be afraid of upsetting the cell carriers, and they would have the chance to make the call quality indefinitely better than the lackluster quality we have over cell towers.

Thoughts? It would be great to see this in iOS 6.

Cheers,

DCBass

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
I suppose I could try Skype, never have. Kind of a pain to set up a whole new account. I really should give it a go.

It would just be nice to have this built-in exactly like facetime and imessage are... i.e., something seamless with the existing Phone app.

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
Viber, Mobyler, Nimbuzz, Skype, gTalk, jaxtr, iCall, Fring, Truphone, Vopium and other thousands of apps xD

And why you don't get any signal? That's weird!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I suppose I could try Skype, never have. Kind of a pain to set up a whole new account. I really should give it a go.

It would just be nice to have this built-in exactly like facetime and imessage are... i.e., something seamless with the existing Phone app.

Your gripe makes total sense, but you should totally look into Skype for other reasons, because it works cross platform, and can be used to contact friends who aren't on iOS as well.

Skype is super easy to setup, and can just be an other wrench you can place into your communication's toolbox.

This was not an ad for Skype™, I just appreciate the software. ;)

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Sick and tired of the lack of signal in the 4 block radius right around my house, but I've got great wifi at home...

So... why can't I make voice calls from one iOS device to another over wifi like I can with FaceTime? Seems crazier that it's easier for me to have a video conference on my phone than it is to have a voice call.

This cannot be an original idea... if Apple is doing this with FaceTime and iMessages, then why not with voice? Surely they can't be afraid of upsetting the cell carriers, and they would have the chance to make the call quality indefinitely better than the lackluster quality we have over cell towers.

Thoughts? It would be great to see this in iOS 6.

Cheers,

DCBass
do you have AT&T? if so, get a microcell for your house

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Kind of a pain to set up a whole new account. I really should give it a go.

It's pretty easy to set up man, you should do it :)

The desktop application is pretty good, and the iOS App is great.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2011
I'd like to see 'Voicetime' as well.

Skype (or one of the other services) would be ok but you've then got to get all of your contacts to install it and set up an account etc which would be easier said than done.

An in-built solution is what's needed.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I actually never thought about 'VoiceTime'. I admit, it would be pretty useful to have, and means that basically, as long as your contact is strictly iOS -> iOS, all you need from your carrier is data.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Will certainly try Skype. Unfortunately, that does not have the all of the advantages that I think VoiceTime could have, especially in regards to having my other contacts (say, those that have iOS devices) not necessarily having skype accounts of their own.

Seamlessness is key.

Also, not knowing the exact details of the microphone hardware, I believe that I've read that the iPhone is technically capable of much higher quality audio than takes place over voice calls over cell towers.

Regarding the signal in my home, it's a relatively new home... I was already under contract with AT&T. It's not as bad as I make it out to be, just annoying dropped calls every now and then... not all the time.

Finally, wrt to the microcell, I have zero desire to give AT&T more money for signal ample signal they should be providing in a major metropolitan area. Similarly (but not related), I refuse to pay them money for a messaging plan when I already pay them for a data package. Absolute nonsense that I do not condone, especially with my own money. </soapbox>

Anyhow, I didn't want this to be about my situation. I was more curious what others thought about VoiceTime in general and how it might be implemented, why it isn't already, and what are some other non-obvious advantages.

Thanks for all the replies.

Cheers,

DCBass

Voxone

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
Sounds good to me......no pun intended.

I'm also in an area where I get little if any cell reception. Voicetime would be great; I could get rid of my land line and tell AT&T to take a flying leap. My cell phone works in a few locations but many residents in my condo complex have to stand out in the parking lot or in the street to make and receive calls! Since I don't expect cell coverage to improve anytime soon, this would be great!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
to the microcell, I have zero desire to give AT&T more money for signal ample signal they should be providing in a major metropolitan area.

i've heard rumors of people being given one if they complain enough.

dickdaney

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
Try talkatone. It uses google voice to make VoIP call from your phone over 3G and wifi. It has the advantage of having a real phone number , so your friends don't have to have Skype or fring installed on their phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.