Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cam493

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
I have a default mid-2011 Mac Mini. 2.3GHZ Intel Core i5 with 2GB. If I upgrade to 8GB, will I notice a change in...snappiness?

Cam493

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
I'm just a bit nervous, though. The PC I've been using is a powerhouse, so naturally this feels a bit slower. Will I be fine leaving the CPU alone?

Also, will the jump to 8GB be a night-and-day difference?

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
yes night and day

I did it earlier this week, I can't believe how my mac mini is fast now

incredible, best $40 I spent since long time

Cam493

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
I already bought some RAM off of Amazon. Thanks for the link, though. I still think that the CPU is a bit...lacking, though.

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
Yeah... that Mac mini you have should be pretty great... you know... assuming you're not trying to use it like a Mac pro or something. But anyway... with 8 GB of RAM you should have a very nice machine.

Cam493

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Yeah... that Mac mini you have should be pretty great... you know... assuming you're not trying to use it like a Mac pro or something. But anyway... with 8 GB of RAM you should have a very nice machine.

I'm using this for graphic design (2D Only) and audio production. Nothing really hardcore, but still, I could use the power. Will I be fine?

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
I'm using this for graphic design (2D Only) and audio production. Nothing really hardcore, but still, I could use the power. Will I be fine?

I'm doing some photoshop, lightroom, imovie and final cut

it's working well

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a default mid-2011 Mac Mini. 2.3GHZ Intel Core i5 with 2GB. If I upgrade to 8GB, will I notice a change in...snappiness?
To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I'm doing some photoshop, lightroom, imovie and final cut

it's working well
I have Photoshop cs5, Illustrator and Final cut Pro open with no issues. Quite amazing really. :) It's a damn good machine. Photo editing is a dream on this Mac.

Cam493

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

I took a look, and my page outs are reaching 1.70 GB's.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

you need ram. I mod and upgrade mac minis done more then 200 since 2006. RAM IS CHEAP BUY 8GB FOR 40 BUCKS

This is a complete no brainer and what will happen is some one will pop up and say I use 2gb just fine and if you buy 8gb and don't use the 8 you are wasting money.

By the same token of "truth" If my grandmother had testicles she would be my grandfather.

my point is you don't worry about your grandmother being your grandfather so don't worry about the ram. Just buy it. newegg has some for

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342 40 bucks.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is that after a restart and under your usual workload? While some say RAM is cheap, so just buy more, it will be even cheaper in the future. If your needs don't require additional RAM now and you wait until they do to buy it, there's a good chance you'll pay a lower price than you would if you bought it today.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Page Out's of 1.7GB does indicate a problem. Upgrade the RAM. 8GB RAM is pretty cheap. Upgrade to that now then in a few years 16GB will be a good upgrade.

I'm using 4GB in all my machine at the moment and I could do with more RAM. My 07 MB is maxed out. My 2009 Minis are hard to upgrade RAM in so I'll wait till the warranty runs out. As for my 2011 Mini I suppose I should upgrade but I'm planning to go all the way and get 16GB RAM (waiting for the prices to fall a bit more).

Cam493

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
I've actually begun to notice that every time I use my Mac Mini, it seems to get slower and slower. The 8GB DOES seem like it would help.

gburl3

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
Huge difference in price

May I suggest this: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_Mac_mini/DDR3_1333

OWC has great RAM and a Lifetime Advanced Replacement Warranty (if it breaks... give them a call and they'll send you new RAM before you have to send the old RAM back)

I checked the prices at the Apple store for 8 GB of RAM, WOW!!! what a difference, Apple wants $400 for 8 GB and the link you posted is only $45.00.
I am a new Mac user. This is my first machine. It seems to be considerable slower than my old PC. I want to be a believer in Mac, Hopefully after installing the 8 GB I'll like my new mac better. Thanks for the link.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Apple doesn't change their prices as memory prices fall. Even when Apple releases a product its memory is expensive compared to 3rd party memory.

One would expect next update to the Mini Apple will offer up to 16GB RAM as prices have fallen sufficiently for 8GB modules.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I checked the prices at the Apple store for 8 GB of RAM, WOW!!! what a difference, Apple wants $400 for 8 GB and the link you posted is only $45.00.
I am a new Mac user. This is my first machine. It seems to be considerable slower than my old PC. I want to be a believer in Mac, Hopefully after installing the 8 GB I'll like my new mac better. Thanks for the link.

As have been mentioned, more ram helps with more open programs/applications. It does not make your system faster. The more powerful cpu will make things speed along better. Your hard drive speed also helps or hurts depending if you have the new SSD's or slower 5400 rpm hard drive.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Are the new Mac Minis kind of picky on RAM? Or will any DDR3 be fine? Frys had a good deal on some Kingston and Im hoping I'm OK with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.