Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wait for the Galaxy S3?

• Yes wait. You won't regret it.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No. The Nexus is a great phone! Get it now

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I am seriously considering switching to an Android phone. I was going to get the Galaxy S2 since I kept hearing so many good things about it and I think a lot of MR members also have it. Now that the Galaxy Nexus is out I am thinking I either get that or wait for the Galaxy S3. I barely know anything about android phones or rumors of when the S3 will be released or what will be new. Should I wait for it? I'm not a very patient guy. I know a lot of you will say why wait but I want your opinion on whether waiting is the best idea or whether it won't make that much of a difference. Will the S3 be significantly better than the Nexus? I heard the Nexus will be getting Jelly Bean?
I basically buy a new phone every year or so. No contracts so I don't have to worry about waiting for them to finish until I can upgrade but if I do get the Nexus I definitely won't be getting the S3.

Last edited:

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
the gs3 will be a beast i have the nexus but after a month i sold it the gs2 it's better than the nexus the only pretty thing of the nexus it's the design and pure ICS

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You are in the Europe, so you'll have to wait much less for the GS3 than us stateside. I would wait, if that's what you want, which it sounds like it is.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
When you say Galaxy S2 you have to remember there's a couple different models, I have the AT&T I777 version which is a 4.3" screen and has the Exynos processor which is better then the snapdragon both in performance and efficiency. I've always had iPhones, but love this phone, even over our 4S which I just jailbroke for the gf.

But I don't know when the GS3 will be available and in how many different versions (like the GS2 is). Rumor is March will have more facts released about it, but as far as U.S. carriers getting it no idea. The Galaxy S2 was released in May but different countries got it at different times, AT&T didn't release their version here till November 11'.

S3 will definitely kick ass so I'd say wait to see what happens with that, but then it depends on how long you want to wait, and for which carrier etc. I played with the Nexus, and it was fine, but preferred the i777 S2. Not worried about OS's as it's too easy to root and flash custom Rom's for these phones, and the Galaxy line has the best support.

I'm hoping AT&T does the same thing and keeps a 4.3" screen as the phone is a great size, not big nor small. S3 is supposed to have a 4.6" screen, but I'd rather stay at 4.3" with the form factor of the S2. Rumor has it launching sometime between May-July, so you being in Europe will pry get it around that time... we in the state's will have to wait longer.

edit - btw, with you being in Ireland, my family is friends with the Guinness fam (beer, last time we were there we hung out at Desmonds castle lol)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
First off, here we go again lol!

Secondly, do yourself a favor an join androidcentral and follow the threads of the phones you are interested in. People will post issue they have and solutions. And it will give you a good idea of apps you'll want. Or you may decide you don't want an android and save yourself some money.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010

Secondly, do yourself a favor an join androidcentral and follow the threads of the phones you are interested in. People will post issue they have and solutions. And it will give you a good idea of apps you'll want. Or you may decide you don't want an android and save yourself some money.

Please follow this advice. You are on an Apple rumors website and you post a poll which doesn't even mention Apple? I think you completely missed the point of this entire website.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL

I agree, or visit the XDA board. If your not used to Android, you may not like it. Took me a day or so to go through and start setting it up how I wanted. There's so much you can do with it stock, not even rooted/rom'd.

Best bet is to go to a store and try it out and see what you like, you may end up deciding the iPhone is still better for you.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I' sorry if this seems similar to other threads. I just thought it would be different since I added some personal details. Anyway, thanks for the input and I am aware this is a Apple forum and I still have other Apple products but I just wanted input from the MR community :p

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.2; en-gb; Galaxy Nexus Build/ICL53F) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Wait for the S3. If it is announced close to the next gen iPhone, you can also add that to your options.

With Mobile World Congress starting this weekend, there may be something that catches your eye there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.