PDA

View Full Version : Samsung "Street Challenge" Pits iPhone Against Galaxy Note

Pages : 1 [2]

wikus
Feb 27, 2012, 01:28 PM
Seeing how defensive so many macrumors members get about a phone from another company, its very clear whos in denial about not being an apple zealot.

A quick question for some of you:

What does it matter if Samsung or anyone else releases a phone that may or may not be better or different? Does the existence of other phones somehow take away the existence or value of your iPhone?????

lordofthereef
Feb 27, 2012, 02:01 PM
Hah ? They said from day #1 it is still in beta ...

If you are looking for the info about Siri being in beta, sure. But it's not something you will learn from a single one of their ads showcasing Siri, nor on their website, again, unless you actually look for it. The average consumer is going to assume that a feature you advertising, and with the 4S the Siri feature is about the only thing they advertise, is not a beta product.

I would be willing to bet that nearly everyone that knows Siri is in beta knows so because of sites like this reporting it, and not because Apple properly informed them about it.

KingJosh
Feb 27, 2012, 02:48 PM
Seeing how defensive so many macrumors members get about a phone from another company, its very clear whos in denial about not being an apple zealot.

What does it matter if Samsung or anyone else releases a phone that may or may not be better or different? Does the existence of other phones somehow take away the existence or value of your iPhone?????

quick tip before you get hated on. Samsung is not just targeting the iPhone. it is targeting iPhone users and calling them fanboys and making out that they are not intelligent.

Source - the ad at the beginning of this thread

*LTD*
Feb 27, 2012, 02:49 PM

Then there's no point in discussing tech, marketing strategies, and debate.

You sure you're on the right site?

striker33
Feb 27, 2012, 03:29 PM
What I have taken form this thread.

- The women is an idiot and its clearly staged

and

- People are still going on about the Mac vs PC ad which isn't the same as this at all.

----------

You think Samsungs over saturated screens are better that Apples Retina Display?

Serious question.

You can adjust the settings of the display on Samsung phones to match your needs. Everyone I know has theirs toned down to look natural, and it destroys anything the retina display produces. Doesnt look over saturated at all unless you switch it to dynamic mode, which does the same things as it does to TV's etc.

Outstanding response times and colour reproduction > Washed out LCD with terrible ghosting issues.

I still havent figured out why huge companies feel the need to skimp out on response times. Even the most basic monitors generally hang at around 5ms, which still means theres a noticeable difference when moving to an iPhone or iPad. iDevice screens are just horrible to look at when it involves anything moving quickly.

Yogomi
Feb 27, 2012, 04:31 PM

Because of what I do for a living, I have access to just about every new device Samsung comes out with months before it hits the market. In my possession now, I have about five or six, some are prototypes that will never see the light of day. I can honestly say that nothing has come out that has made me want to discard my iPhone and trade "up". As I mentioned before, I had the Note for several weeks last month and I liked it. A lot. That being said, I would have kept it for a work/alternative phone/device; not a replacement.

I consider myself pretty much a power user since I use my iPhone 75% for apps, utilities, and other functions while the rest of the 25% it's used as an actual phone.What I can do with my iPhone with my job, many hobbies, and other activities is pretty astounding. So in a way, for me it's "if it's not broken, don't fix it". I mean, come on...we live in a time where pretty much EVERYTHING is cool no matter WHAT phone you have.

I have yet to see a feature come out that I REALLY just couldn't live without and had to switch from an iPhone, but I think that really lies on Android.

Again, I am not saying the Note is crap or Android sucks.

What's really interesting is, some of their lower tiered phones I find are more interesting and better built.

I know I don't speak for all of us, but I'm one of the rare MR followers that LIKES Apple products(meaning no cynicism at all) without any hatred towards other brands. But, if I haven't used another brand, I don't talk bad about it. Just going by printed stats and listed specifications is not enough to review a device. People who review things without using or experiencing them are the worst kind of people anyway. But since I do have access to many of Samsung's new and upcoming devices, I can tell you there are some cool things coming down the pipe; none of which entice me to switch. But Samsung does makes some REALLY good phones.

Again, this is just my personal opinion as someone who owns and uses Samsung mobile devices on a daily basis.

-Y.

wikus
Feb 27, 2012, 05:57 PM
Then there's no point in discussing tech, marketing strategies, and debate.

Why? Because you accept other manufacturers? Or do you prefer ZERO competition, just the way apple would like it to be?

You sure you're on the right site?

Yes. I don't have mindless devotion to a single brand. I don't need to be narrow minded just to be on this forum.

*LTD*
Feb 27, 2012, 06:03 PM
Why? Because you accept other manufacturers? Or do you prefer ZERO competition, just the way apple would like it to be?

I wouldn't mind some worthy competition for once, instead of lame pretenders.

wikus
Feb 27, 2012, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't mind some worthy competition for once, instead of lame pretenders.

Yeah, as if Apple was never guilty of being a pretender. Though that doesn't excuse your narrow minded view at all, much less giving people the impression that one must only be an apple fanboy to be on macrumors. Though the reality is, no matter how much logic I could show you, youre in serious denial of the this truth, and I'm only of many dozens (at least) of people to point this out to you.

But you prove my point; you don't want competition. You want apple to have *zero* competition. And you dance around the question of what difference does it make if HTC, Samsung, or others exist. Your iPhone isnt going to be taken away from you, nor will it stop Apple from making other phones. And furthermore, why the hell do you care so much?!

warboat
Feb 27, 2012, 06:43 PM
I have yet to see a feature come out that I REALLY just couldn't live without and had to switch from an iPhone, but I think that really lies on Android

I can name 3:

1. Swype keyboard. Don't think iPhone will ever get swype keyboard unless they want to fight or buy patents.

2. USB drive mode. I can use Android phone like a USB drive on Photo Printers, PS3, PVR, DVD, TV, Car Radio.... I even transfered a photo from Android phone to a fridge with a screen using just USB, no drivers, no cloud, no internet, and definitely NO ITUNES! It just works!

3. Wifi hotspot. Android has been doing wifi sharing to multiple devices since Froyo 2.2 and doing it with ease and reliability. iPhone is limited to sharing with only one device, and that's if it decides to work. Outside of the USA, tethering thru phones is freely done, the carriers do not discourage it. Therefore, to have a phone that cannot take full advanatge of this is a handicap.

wikus
Feb 27, 2012, 06:48 PM
I have yet to see a feature come out that I REALLY just couldn't live without and had to switch from an iPhone, but I think that really lies on Android.

1) The fact that I'm *not* tied down to proprietary software just to connect it to a computer. My android phone connects to any computer, on any platform. I won't settle being locked down to iTunes.

2) Removable battery.

3) Notifications (theyre awful on iOS, and a cheap clone from Android).

4) Widgets (though I keep my to a minimum, a lot of them are useful)

Yogomi
Feb 27, 2012, 08:06 PM
1) The fact that I'm *not* tied down to proprietary software just to connect it to a computer. My android phone connects to any computer, on any platform. I won't settle being locked down to iTunes.

2) Removable battery.

3) Notifications (theyre awful on iOS, and a cheap clone from Android).

4) Widgets (though I keep my to a minimum, a lot of them are useful)

So..what you're telling me is these are extremely important NEW features that you just can't live without?

I'm still not clear on what the issue about the removable battery is. Can you explain to me why this is so important?

Not being facetious. I'm genuinely want to know why this is a deal breaker for some.

-Y.

wikus
Feb 27, 2012, 08:25 PM
So..what you're telling me is these are extremely important NEW features that you just can't live without?

I'm still not clear on what the issue about the removable battery is. Can you explain to me why this is so important?

Not being facetious. I'm genuinely want to know why this is a deal breaker for some.

-Y.

Because I can change/replace or have a spare battery to use at will whenever I like without ever voiding the warranty (apple's known to be particularly stupid about batteries, going all the way back to the first ipod). Most batteries only last about 400 charges before their maximum capacity starts to drastically show a sign of poor life. And since iPhones cant last more than a day without recharging, your looking at 365 charges. 400 would last just longer than apple's warranty, at which point your out of luck, and screwed. Very clever by apple.

But thats not really the deal breaker. Its the first point I made.

I will NOT tolerate being forced to use iTunes or any other ridiculous bloatware just to use my phone and transfer media. You cant even retrieve data unless you get 3rd party software, and not every computer will allow it (work and school computers are typically locked down). Like warboat said, USB drive mode is essential, ultimately giving users an immense amount of choice with open standards. Though choice or open standards have never been a part of apple's philosophy. If this werent true, youd have the CHOICE of running flash on iOS, picking a variety of video cards for mac pros, divx or xvid playback on iPods during the DAP days, or being able to take back your own files from your own ipod.

Apple's solution is great for the computer illiterate, but for power users, it fails miserably.

JForestZ34
Feb 27, 2012, 08:25 PM

-Y.

Well I for one would like a removable battery because then I could just switch batteries and keep going without having to wait for the phone to charge

James

warboat
Feb 27, 2012, 08:58 PM

-Y.

Maybe not a dealbreaker, but it seems like iphone owners are the only ones who tend to ask me if they can use my phone because their phone is low on battery and they want to save whatever power left for receiving SMS. Or they don't answer my calls or receive my SMS till its too late because their phone battery was flat.
The first accessory I usually order with a new phone is a spare battery and if I know there may be a chance I won't be able to charge it up for a couple of days, I take a spare battery (or two!) with me.
This is not even an option for iphones and it is sad to see more and more manufacturers follow Apple's way and make phones and portable devices without removeable batteries.

Consultant
Feb 27, 2012, 08:58 PM
Well I for one would like a removable battery because then I could just switch batteries and keep going without having to wait for the phone to charge

James

With an iPhone, you can use it and charge the battery at the same time.

Something that doesn't quite work for many Android phones:
http://obamapacman.com/2012/01/samsung-galaxy-nexus-navigation-feature-drains-battery-even-while-charging-samsunged/

wikus
Feb 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
With an iPhone, you can use it and charge the battery at the same time.

Something that doesn't quite work for many Android phones:
http://obamapacman.com/2012/01/samsung-galaxy-nexus-navigation-feature-drains-battery-even-while-charging-samsunged/

Did you even read that article? Or at least read the title?

This is exclusive to ONE phone, under ONE circumstance; when the power needed to run the software exceeds what the battery charger can deliver to keep it even.

GaresTaylan
Feb 27, 2012, 09:31 PM
Makes me wonder... how would Samsung feel if they had someone post ad's about "Samsung fanboys." I'm sure they would have some excuse.

At this rate, if they keep it up making themselves look foolish, they won't have any regardless.

wikus
Feb 27, 2012, 09:36 PM
Makes me wonder... how would Samsung feel if they had someone post ad's about "Samsung fanboys." I'm sure they would have some excuse.

At this rate, if they keep it up making themselves look foolish, they won't have any regardless.

Samsung doesnt employ brand evangelist/cult promoters like Guy Kawasaki. Nor do they have a religious following. I very much doubt they'd care. Consumers with a twisted apple-like obsession would be another story.. if they were to exist.

Doesn't matter, apple has had a religious cult for a long time. Its ridiculous and needs to stop. Apple is a BRAND, theres no reason for mindless devotion to a brand.

kaizenmx
Feb 27, 2012, 10:01 PM
Samsung doesnt employ brand evangelist/cult promoters like Guy Kawasaki. Nor do they have a religious following. I very much doubt they'd care. Consumers with a twisted apple-like obsession would be another story.. if they were to exist.

Doesn't matter, apple has had a religious cult for a long time. Its ridiculous and needs to stop. Apple is a BRAND, theres no reason for mindless devotion to a brand.

Nothing will go through apple defense force's thick skull

They think steve jobs is God. They created their own hurr durr religion.

Yogomi
Feb 27, 2012, 11:28 PM
Because I can change/replace or have a spare battery to use at will whenever I like without ever voiding the warranty (apple's known to be particularly stupid about batteries, going all the way back to the first ipod). Most batteries only last about 400 charges before their maximum capacity starts to drastically show a sign of poor life. And since iPhones cant last more than a day without recharging, your looking at 365 charges. 400 would last just longer than apple's warranty, at which point your out of luck, and screwed. Very clever by apple.

But thats not really the deal breaker. Its the first point I made.

I will NOT tolerate being forced to use iTunes or any other ridiculous bloatware just to use my phone and transfer media. You cant even retrieve data unless you get 3rd party software, and not every computer will allow it (work and school computers are typically locked down). Like warboat said, USB drive mode is essential, ultimately giving users an immense amount of choice with open standards. Though choice or open standards have never been a part of apple's philosophy. If this werent true, youd have the CHOICE of running flash on iOS, picking a variety of video cards for mac pros, divx or xvid playback on iPods during the DAP days, or being able to take back your own files from your own ipod.

Apple's solution is great for the computer illiterate, but for power users, it fails miserably.

For power users it fails? How you do figure that? Please explain this to me.

What is a "power user" to you?

-Y

----------

I can tell you right now that you are completely wrong about what Samsung wants.

I can say this because I work closely with them just about every day.

It would be nice to think they aren't like Apple, but they want the same attention, love, and followers that Apple has.

It's quite interesting that you have this view because you are posting in a thread about a commercial that Samsung posted about how they are actually BETTER than Apple. Why would they do that?

-Y.

MonkeySee....
Feb 28, 2012, 04:06 AM
You can adjust the settings of the display on Samsung phones to match your needs. Everyone I know has theirs toned down to look natural, and it destroys anything the retina display produces. Doesnt look over saturated at all unless you switch it to dynamic mode, which does the same things as it does to TV's etc.

Outstanding response times and colour reproduction > Washed out LCD with terrible ghosting issues.

I still havent figured out why huge companies feel the need to skimp out on response times. Even the most basic monitors generally hang at around 5ms, which still means theres a noticeable difference when moving to an iPhone or iPad. iDevice screens are just horrible to look at when it involves anything moving quickly.

Guy at work has the new Galaxy nexus and it by no means destroys the Retina screen. IMHO i'd say the iPhone screen is better. Each to their own though.

GaresTaylan
Feb 28, 2012, 06:19 AM

You completely missed my point.

omgitsdan
Feb 28, 2012, 10:24 AM
iPhone response (from someone who isn't retarded)

Challenge One: Cards App - design and personalise a card that will then be printed to exceptional quality and delivered to the person.

Challenge Two: Maps App - search directions, choose car/public transport/walking routes, screen shot and send (add some instructions if you really want to, people can read...)

Challenge Three: Keynote App - edit, wirelessly stream and control slideshow based presentations in Powerpoint or Keynote formats.

MonkeySee....
Feb 28, 2012, 10:49 AM
My phone buffered as the bus went past in the background. Quite appropriate I thought.... :D

http://i.imgur.com/kfa12.png

ARandomFellow
Feb 28, 2012, 10:58 AM
black people and women should be in an uproar over this commercial. All of those things are possible on an iPhone, easily. So this is basically a smart white guy showing up the less intelligent black lady. Wow. Terrible terrible thing to see.

Lordskelic
Feb 28, 2012, 11:01 AM
Does a phone really need to do that? It's a stupid gimmick that people aren't even going to use after the 1st week they have the phone. It's not practical.

Sweetcheetah
Feb 28, 2012, 11:02 AM
First off, there are A LOT of evidence that iPad and iPhone, be it 4 or 4S, is the most utilized and most fun device there is. Both Private and Public Schools are adapting to it, quite a few companies are utilizing iPads. Beta testing certain restaurants are adapting to waiting diners with iPads on each table for consumers to play around with... film makers are using iPhone 4S with adaptable attachments and like wise photographers. I have bookmarks of websites that sell nothing but iPhone 4/4S attachments like enhancing the digital camera world. Inspirations of short films on youtube that was filmed with iPhone 4S. Quite a few web sites out there just use the iPhone 4 and iPads (granted unbranded but clearly a distinct looking apple product) to show examples of pages or apps on the device. I hardly see any other device, nor this supposedly Samsung or HTC products.

I see MORE commercials on TV indirectly about Apple device products showcasing iPhone or iPad to show that they have adapted mobile content apps. Even a lot of movies, chick flicks, action, drama, etc use some form of Apple product computers for props. And little do I see any other mobile devices. Hell, sit-coms are using Apple products to make the show. What about that one episode of The Big Bang Theory when one of the character fell in love with SIRI when iPhone 4S came out. Yeah a spoof of SIRI... What does that tell us about Apple mobile devices? Apple is getting free advertisement EVERYWHERE. It's no wonder Apple doesn't need to make a lot of fuss about comparing anything else. Nor spend Millions on some 30 second Superbowl Ad. It was clearly shown that most foot ball players and other people brought out their iPhone of some sort to capture the trophy being brought out for more than 1.5 minutes and Apple didn't spend a dime. It was natural, true to the tone, and well, as real and nature as it can get.

Yes, they used to do that "Hi I'm a Mac... Hi I'm a PC" routine a while back, but they stopped that and what do most apple commercials do? Just show the experience.

And honestly, my high school best friend / business partner has an HTC android and swears by it. Sure he seems to have some few quarks with it, but he has VERY specific use that iPhone naturally doesn't have but he uses it and I'm glad for him that he does when it comes to programming etc. He's a programmer and very technical and I'm sure there are iPhone apps out there to do what he does. Where as I have an iPhone, but I don't do what he does because I'm not a programmer, I'm more of a visual digital multimedia design specialist. But he doesn't do a lot of filming nor photography as I do with my iPhone. I've got a lot of attachments I use when I go see a client to do a filmed interview. I use lenses, audio hook up etc to really enhance a lot of what I do. So I have very specific uses that are less technical inclined.

So, that man with the over sized phone is probably got a lot of practice and is quite technically inclined. That woman if indeed a real person probably doesn't do that a lot, but likes the ease and less complicated use for everyday phone. Hook me up against that guy, I will show him what I'm capable of and I'll get myself a stylus to make it an even match. Have all the apps ready for anything. Did you see that Guy scrolling what appears to be 100's of apps (not that much but still) he probably had soo many apps prepared for this commercial. It was certainly an unfair situation. It almost was a sexist situation. So the man is a lot smarter than a woman using mobile divides? Samsung why don't you go up against some one in your own same sex and has a guy with just as many apps and capabilities?

It's all about who needs to do what? I mean there are SOOO many different people using iPhone for different reasons. Not all will do what Samsung has pitted to compare. I never thought to crop my head, send a card. If anything I know of a web site I can go to on my iPhone that I can upload a photo from my iPhone that I may have used an app to make it more cool or fun and send a REAL physical card printed and mailed to someone. That's more meaningful isn't not?

I just see that there are many more apple mobile company fans out there than any other mobile for which they designed equipments and attachments. Go google it. Besides there are WAAAAY too many android phone types that it's hard for any company to build a suitable attachments because it's hard to tell who is more market share. Apple iPhone 4 and 4S and iPad, it's simple. So most company focus their design for them. Look how many types of phone cases there are dedicated to iPhone. It's simple. Market share is huge now for it. So I wouldn't worry about these samsung phones or tablets. They're just all over the place in sizes. There are more buyers for extra stuff for the iPhone/iPad than anything else out there and so where do you think most companies going to focus on products and make tons of money off of? Supply and demand baby.

buddybd
Feb 28, 2012, 11:05 AM
That woman wouldn't know how to do those on the Note either, so this doesn't mean much.

gatortpk
Feb 28, 2012, 11:15 AM
My phone buffered as the bus went past in the background. Quite appropriate I thought.... :D

Image (http://i.imgur.com/kfa12.png)

Wow, (and you still got an internet connection before you went to "No Service"), though, I see now actually you're on Wifi then, that makes more sense. Anything can cut your Wifi connection, and trust me, I don't think any other phone would hold on to a distant Wifi connection either.

If that wasn't the problem, the servers at YouTube for some reason still won't always keep a video stream going. I would think by now, Google would have fixed this! It's 2012, and I never get interruptions on any other video (Even with FaceTime)! Just YouTube.

gatortpk
Feb 28, 2012, 11:31 AM
black people and women should be in an uproar over this commercial. All of those things are possible on an iPhone, easily. So this is basically a smart white guy showing up the less intelligent black lady. Wow. Terrible terrible thing to see.

I agree, and well Android Users won't even back this commercial up, they're embarrassed!
Check out this link: (for those who didn't see it yet)

Cult of Android (http://www.cultofandroid.com/4699/not-even-android-fans-will-defend-samsungs-latest-galaxy-note-spot-video/)

ARandomFellow
Feb 28, 2012, 11:33 AM

I don't ever want to be a power user of my phone. I want it to do things it does easily and simply. I am not however, computer illiterate, nor even phone illiterate. I just don't care to have another device that complicates my life.

All the other things that you talk about are not as important as you think. Take your battery issue, for instance. First, I can't remember the last time my iPhone didn't last the whole day. Even when I was in the UK sightseeing all day and taking pictures and video with it, I still came back to the hotel with 20% battery or more remaining. Most days my battery doesn't need a recharge. I'd say on average I can go two to three days if I really want to get close to the edge of its life. But let's say the battery IS terrible and I can't go more than a day.... even in that case, how often are most people who are "power users" away from some sort of electrical energy that they can tap into? In your car, you probably have something that can charge a phone. In an office, surely you do. Most places of business have electricity. Most public places have electricity somewhere. I guess a wildlife photographer in darkest Africa might need for more juice (assuming they didn't get to their shoot in a car). I can honestly say I've NEVER thought "damn, I wish I had another battery for my phone".

Second, by 'bloatware', I assume you mean iTunes. A) You don't need it to use your phone. B) It's actually pretty nice if you spend the time to figure it out. I know some of you "power users" think that dragging files from one folder to another is high tech... but I think it's much cooler that I can create a custom filtered playlist and have that synch to my phone whenever I plug it in without me having to fiddle with individual files. Or I can choose which ones I want to transfer. It's a lot like dragging a file. Except I don't have to even have my phone in the general vicinity to manage it. I can just mark the ones I want and it'll move them the next time I want it to. And then there's iCloud... so you know. I'm not actually TIED to anything. Some might even call that smart.

USB drive mode? Seriously? This is the year 2012. You're aware of the concept of the internet, right? Why on Earth would you want to turn your phone into a USB drive? Even USB drives suck at being USB drives. For a "power user", you're not very savvy about this whole technology thing. Technology is supposed to make life easier, not more tedious.

I think based on the items that you have outlined, what you mean when you say "power user" is really "control freak". You can't accept a phone that is able to do things without your specific input. It's okay to let some of that go you know and just enjoy that you can tell your iPhone to do something and it will, even when you're not looking at it. But hey, at least you can play a Flash game. That's power usage.

kdarling
Feb 28, 2012, 12:09 PM
That woman wouldn't know how to do those on the Note either, so this doesn't mean much.

Exactly. Nothing against the lady. Heck, my wife's the same way.

I'd like to see a comparison between two sets of savvy folk instead.

Has SNL or the Big Bang Theory done a take-off on the ad yet?

dweisen1
Feb 28, 2012, 12:53 PM
Sssshhh... Here on Mac Rumors, Apple can buy anything, even things that aren't for sale, and to hell with monopoly laws. ;)

1) Having choice is a great thing. The Galaxy Note isn't for everyone, but for some its perfect who don't want to carry 2 devices being a tablet and phone.

2) How is Android 2nd rate? The basics of phone, contacts, and calendar it does just as well if not better. With ICS 4.0 it is a superior user experience over iOS 5.

3) That is fine if you like the look of the iPhone.

4) The iPhone is fair game for Samsung and others to go after as it has the most market share in the US. MS will do it soon to.

The problem with most iOS users is that the whole thing has become a religion as opposed to using what technologies will work the best for them. None of the manufacturers have a lock on this.

If android were 1st rate they would not have a need to piggy back on true innovation. Google is too busy being everything to everyone, something that can't be done, they need to find they're niche and stick with it. I have a droid through my employer and a Iphone for my personal, and the droid was deprecated the day it hit the market.

pixelcoder
Feb 28, 2012, 01:22 PM
Why does Samsung thinks this could promote their phone? A paid woman who says "What... My phone can't do that!" isn't really authentic. These guys from Samsung don't have ideas for their phones or their promotion - so the have to do crap like this! :mad:

Lordskelic
Feb 28, 2012, 03:30 PM
WTF?!?

That dumb commercial has no point.

And why is that guy holding a tv in his hand... Oh wait... It's supposed to be a PHONE. IT HAS THE HUGEST SCREEN IN THE WORLD.

What are you talking about? It's a tablet. A crappy tablet with a stylus.

kaizenmx
Feb 28, 2012, 06:45 PM
What are you talking about? It's a tablet. A crappy tablet with a stylus.
Not as crappy as ipad

:D

warboat
Feb 28, 2012, 07:13 PM
I don't ever want to be a power user of my phone. I want it to do things it does easily and simply. I am not however, computer illiterate, nor even phone illiterate. I just don't care to have another device that complicates my life.

All the other things that you talk about are not as important as you think. Take your battery issue, for instance. First, I can't remember the last time my iPhone didn't last the whole day. Even when I was in the UK sightseeing all day and taking pictures and video with it, I still came back to the hotel with 20% battery or more remaining. Most days my battery doesn't need a recharge. I'd say on average I can go two to three days if I really want to get close to the edge of its life. But let's say the battery IS terrible and I can't go more than a day.... even in that case, how often are most people who are "power users" away from some sort of electrical energy that they can tap into? In your car, you probably have something that can charge a phone. In an office, surely you do. Most places of business have electricity. Most public places have electricity somewhere. I guess a wildlife photographer in darkest Africa might need for more juice (assuming they didn't get to their shoot in a car). I can honestly say I've NEVER thought "damn, I wish I had another battery for my phone".

Second, by 'bloatware', I assume you mean iTunes. A) You don't need it to use your phone. B) It's actually pretty nice if you spend the time to figure it out. I know some of you "power users" think that dragging files from one folder to another is high tech... but I think it's much cooler that I can create a custom filtered playlist and have that synch to my phone whenever I plug it in without me having to fiddle with individual files. Or I can choose which ones I want to transfer. It's a lot like dragging a file. Except I don't have to even have my phone in the general vicinity to manage it. I can just mark the ones I want and it'll move them the next time I want it to. And then there's iCloud... so you know. I'm not actually TIED to anything. Some might even call that smart.

USB drive mode? Seriously? This is the year 2012. You're aware of the concept of the internet, right? Why on Earth would you want to turn your phone into a USB drive? Even USB drives suck at being USB drives. For a "power user", you're not very savvy about this whole technology thing. Technology is supposed to make life easier, not more tedious.

I think based on the items that you have outlined, what you mean when you say "power user" is really "control freak". You can't accept a phone that is able to do things without your specific input. It's okay to let some of that go you know and just enjoy that you can tell your iPhone to do something and it will, even when you're not looking at it. But hey, at least you can play a Flash game. That's power usage.

Removable battery:
It is not about how long the battery lasts, it is about not requiring to plug your phone in to charge it up. You can charge up the spare battery in a seperate charger, and simply swap an go. You go back to the hotel, you swap batteries and GO! no waiting around for a bit to give it a bit more charge. I go camping every year and I often see iphone users every evening standing around the only power points in the camp kitchen, not eating or cooking, but charging up their phones. I plug my battery charger in at night after all the iphone users are done charging and then wake up and swap battery over or just take the spare with me and swap over whenever the current battery runs low. I can do exactly what iphone users do, but the removable battery gives me additional options.

itunes:
er, sorry but I have struggled with ipods for years and detested itunes and everything it represents. Itunes will occasionally screw up your music files and playlists. Don't tell me this doesn't happen, I've been there many times. Apple lost me with itunes.
I use media files on the phone, not on the computer. I want to manage the files on the phone, not on my computer. All I want to do is transfer/backup media files, I do not want to spend time on my computer managing it. Requiring itunes for file transfer is just retarded. iCloud is not a feasible option when you have to sometimes transfer many large files. Don't defend itunes.

USB drive mode:
This is 2012, how does your device not have USB mode? Have you not heard of USB drive mode?
I can transfer files to/from my PVR to my phone using the USB cable.
I can transfer files to/from my PS3 to my phone using the USB cable.
I can transfer files to/from a corporate PC (which has restricted access to internet) to my phone using USB cable.
I was in a hotel and the room had a TV that had record to USB capability. I plugged the phone in with a USB cable and recorded a show on a spare micro SD card which I was able to hotswap into the phone.
Open standard plug and play in 2012. It just works.

I don't consider myself a power user. I am just a practical user.

chagla
Feb 28, 2012, 07:23 PM

-Y.

phone/file management - without proprietary software. this is the single most important reason for choosing Android. i can manage my files of every extension, on any computer, with or without wires. i can use my phone storage for all kinds of files, not just music, video and pictures.

removable battery is useful if your battery goes bad, or if you want to install one of those extended batteries.

widgets on android are highly useful. to give you an example, you can have one touch control of many things on your phone. you can do things like - turn on/off wifi, BT, call someone, lock screen and many more things. all with a single touch without opening an app. you can have an overview of all calls/messages/weather on your screen. just by looking at the screen you have all these info available to you without opening app for every single thing.

hope this helps. i'm no IOS hater. it just doesn't suit my needs. another big reason for choosing Android was that i can customize nearly every aspect of the phone. basically I am in charge of my phone.

iSee
Feb 28, 2012, 07:40 PM
This is a weak ad. It's not persuasive because they had to make the iPhone owner a total idiot to make the premise work.

I can see the car ad equivalent in my head how:
[woman in BMW 3 series sedan, guy in a PT Cruiser]
Announcer: Here's the challenge: pull out of your parking spot!
Guy: [puts car in reverse and backs up]
Woman: What?!? How can he do that and I can't?!? No!

gatortpk
Feb 29, 2012, 01:04 AM
Hah ? They said from day #1 it is still in beta ...

Apple RARELY releases anything Beta to the Public. But since they did with Siri, it's likely because it's the only way to really test it and get out the bugs. This large scale testing (Millions) is one sure way to perfect it.

I have noticed that the Siri server will go down every now and then, but for a Beta Product, It's a lot better than many things that aren't Beta when released. And it took a year before it got a little better (MS Vista).

Actually, a lot of people wouldn't even know it was beta because it does usually work so astonishly well! Even critics had to admit their surprise for it to understand was they said correctly even when some humans would ask "What?". Now, Siri just needs to learn to interpret what is said and do 100 times more things with the request. Even though there has been 40 years of development into this (DARPA, etc.), Siri is like a toddler, still learning, (actual AI in there too!).

warboat
Feb 29, 2012, 07:05 AM
Apple RARELY releases anything Beta to the Public. But since they did with Siri, it's likely because it's the only way to really test it and get out the bugs. This large scale testing (Millions) is one sure way to perfect it.

If Apple's objective was to test Siri, why not let ALL customers use it instead of limiting it to the 4S?
Siri was running fine on iphone 4 before the 4S was released. And hacked Siri will even run on an iPod Touch so CPU speed is not an issue.
Obviously, Siri was disabled on iphone 4 and used as a selling point for the 4S.
Thanks Apple, we know where your priorities lie.

kdarling
Feb 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
Actually, a lot of people wouldn't even know it was beta because it does usually work so astonishly well! Even critics had to admit their surprise for it to understand was they said correctly even when some humans would ask "What?".

Voice recognition is pretty darned good these days on many platforms. No doubt a result, as you said, of collecting information from millions of users.

Sidenote: when I went to check my Google account dashboard (https://www.google.com/dashboard/)to see what info they held on me (everyone should do so), I was interested to see that it contained a lot of voice samples from previous searches to help it better understand me. I could delete those and tell it not to save any more, but that would make it less useful to me:

Now, Siri just needs to learn to interpret what is said and do 100 times more things with the request. Even though there has been 40 years of development into this (DARPA, etc.), Siri is like a toddler, still learning, (actual AI in there too!).

In this case, the DARPA PAL (Personalized Assistant that Learns) project only dates from 2003. They gave it to Stanford Research Institute. Siri was spun off into a for-profit company in 2007.

donniedarko
Feb 29, 2012, 01:39 PM
Looks like an interesting phone:tablet.

As for the comparo... how can they pick some women who sounds like a retard, talks like one, to go against a 'guy' off the street who has an newly or unreleased pice of hardware, knows how to use it like that, and then makes her look extra dumb?

Ads trying to diminish the Apple stuff is stupid. If they focus on what they are doing, and do it well it will attract plenty of interest.

Yogomi
Mar 1, 2012, 01:07 AM
phone/file management - without proprietary software. this is the single most important reason for choosing Android. i can manage my files of every extension, on any computer, with or without wires. i can use my phone storage for all kinds of files, not just music, video and pictures.

removable battery is useful if your battery goes bad, or if you want to install one of those extended batteries.

widgets on android are highly useful. to give you an example, you can have one touch control of many things on your phone. you can do things like - turn on/off wifi, BT, call someone, lock screen and many more things. all with a single touch without opening an app. you can have an overview of all calls/messages/weather on your screen. just by looking at the screen you have all these info available to you without opening app for every single thing.

hope this helps. i'm no IOS hater. it just doesn't suit my needs. another big reason for choosing Android was that i can customize nearly every aspect of the phone. basically I am in charge of my phone.

I think as far as phone users, you and I completely different. The points you make here really have nothing to do with why I use an iPhone. But that's why we have many phones. Everyone is different. Everyone has different needs.

One thing I've always loved about Apple is they make it easy for me to work on my computer without having to "work on" my computer. Since my first Mac back 1991. Same with the iPhone. They provided me with some basic apps and left it up to me. There are over 500,000 apps in the app store. I don't see how I wouldn't be in charge of my phone if I can put any of those apps on it for my own personal use.

There are just some things I just DO NOT care about.

One of them is proprietary software. I'm one of the few "power users" who actually welcomes it. I know that might make me seem like the lowest common denominator, but I can assure you, at nearly 20 years in my career, I'm hardly in that demo.

Also, I don't care about iTunes. I use it to play/organize/purchase my music, movies, apps, and TV shows. I don't feel "enslaved" by it as others seem to be describing it. It's a freakin' application on your computer. To me it's the digital version of my CD and DVD/BluRay stands. People are making way too much about nothing when it comes to iTunes. It's quite silly.

Removable battery? I have NEVER had an iPhone run out of battery and die on me. And I don't mean to be rude, but I am calling BS on the poster earlier who said all his iPhone using friends are always asking to use his phone because their batteries are always dead.(Zombies?) That's a ridiculous fabrication and that person knows it.

Just the facts, please?

I can leave my iPhone off the charger for 24 hours, Bluetooth on, screen brightness at the highest setting, and still have 50% of my battery left while my girlfriend has had to charge her Samsung at least three times. I know that might seem like an exaggeration, but I like to have discussions and debates that deal solely in truth and experience. Not hateful and baseless opinions. It did take some getting used to, but I have never once wished I had a removable battery.

As for USB, why? For saving files? I use a cloud service so I stopped carrying around any kind of USB or portable drive ages ago. I can't even find my 16GB Flash drive because I just quit using it. I can access all my files on my iPhone, iPad, all three Macs at home, and both of my Macs at work. I can also access it on my Samsung phone, the new Note 10.1 and my Tab 7.0 and 10.1. Best thing about it? No matter what happens to any of your devices, the files are always available...somewhere.

As you can see, I have several Samsung devices so this is from actual experience. I don't hate Samsung devices. I think they're pretty great, except the fact that some of them feel cheaply made, in my opinion. I still would like to hold on to a Note, but not one of their devices has made me feel inadequate about having an iPhone.

As mentioned before, this "commercial" was really not a fair comparison. If they were to come up to me on the street and ask me what I can do with my iPhone compared to the Note(since I had it for three weeks, remember), I can promise you I'd send them home with their tail between their legs. There are so many settings missing. What about how it's used in a home? Or in a workplace setting? In your car? (Don't text and drive.) At a concert or during your own live performance?

At the end the day, and as this video shows, it's really not the device, it's the person using it and how they use it. Some of the worst things about this thread(and most of the others) is the sense of superiority because you use a certain brand or hate a certain brand.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the iPhone changed the game. Every phone that people say is better than the iPhone, whether it is or not, would not even exist if Apple hadn't done it first. The form factor, the functionality, the whole concept; basically carbon copied with extras tacked on to pull head. All competing phones are based on what Apple did with the iPhone, even if someone else IS doing it better now.

-Y

donniedarko
Mar 1, 2012, 01:16 AM
I think as far as phone users, you and I completely different. The points you make here really have nothing to do with why I use an iPhone. But that's why we have many phones. Everyone is different. Everyone has different needs.

One thing I've always loved about Apple is they make it easy for me to work on my computer without having to "work on" my computer. Since my first Mac back 1991. Same with the iPhone. They provided me with some basic apps and left it up to me. There are over 500,000 apps in the app store. I don't see how I wouldn't be in charge of my phone if I can put any of those apps on it for my own personal use.

There are just some things I just DO NOT care about.

One of them is proprietary software. I'm one of the few "power users" who actually welcomes it. I know that might make me seem like the lowest common denominator, but I can assure you, at nearly 20 years in my career, I'm hardly in that demo.

Also, I don't care about iTunes. I use it to play/organize/purchase my music, movies, apps, and TV shows. I don't feel "enslaved" by it as others seem to be describing it. It's a freakin' application on your computer. To me it's the digital version of my CD and DVD/BluRay stands. People are making way too much about nothing when it comes to iTunes. It's quite silly.

Removable battery? I have NEVER had an iPhone run out of battery and die on me. And I don't mean to be rude, but I am calling BS on the poster earlier who said all his iPhone using friends are always asking to use his phone because their batteries are always dead.(Zombies?) That's a ridiculous fabrication and that person knows it.

Just the facts, please?

I can leave my iPhone off the charger for 24 hours, Bluetooth on, screen brightness at the highest setting, and still have 50% of my battery left while my girlfriend has had to charge her Samsung at least three times. I know that might seem like an exaggeration, but I like to have discussions and debates that deal solely in truth and experience. Not hateful and baseless opinions. It did take some getting used to, but I have never once wished I had a removable battery.

As for USB, why? For saving files? I use a cloud service so I stopped carrying around any kind of USB or portable drive ages ago. I can't even find my 16GB Flash drive because I just quit using it. I can access all my files on my iPhone, iPad, all three Macs at home, and both of my Macs at work. I can also access it on my Samsung phone, the new Note 10.1 and my Tab 7.0 and 10.1. Best thing about it? No matter what happens to any of your devices, the files are always available...somewhere.

As you can see, I have several Samsung devices so this is from actual experience. I don't hate Samsung devices. I think they're pretty great, except the fact that some of them feel cheaply made, in my opinion. I still would like to hold on to a Note, but not one of their devices has made me feel inadequate about having an iPhone.

As mentioned before, this "commercial" was really not a fair comparison. If they were to come up to me on the street and ask me what I can do with my iPhone compared to the Note(since I had it for three weeks, remember), I can promise you I'd send them home with their tail between their legs. There are so many settings missing. What about how it's used in a home? Or in a workplace setting? In your car? (Don't text and drive.) At a concert or during your own live performance?

At the end the day, and as this video shows, it's really not the device, it's the person using it and how they use it. Some of the worst things about this thread(and most of the others) is the sense of superiority because you use a certain brand or hate a certain brand.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the iPhone changed the game. Every phone that people say is better than the iPhone, whether it is or not, would not even exist if Apple hadn't done it first. The form factor, the functionality, the whole concept; basically carbon copied with extras tacked on to pull head. All competing phones are based on what Apple did with the iPhone, even if someone else IS doing it better now.

-Y

You must have a special battery in your iPhone because Ive had 3 and never an experience like that at battery wise

coconutxyz
Mar 1, 2012, 04:05 AM
i am depressed because she cant do that

Yogomi
Mar 1, 2012, 08:00 AM
You must have a special battery in your iPhone because Ive had 3 and never an experience like that at battery wise

Well, then I guess Apple likes me more than everyone else because they gave me a special battery.

-Y.

barredfreak
Mar 1, 2012, 08:22 AM
Instead of pitting themselves against Apple, which they are not doing very successfully, Samsung should focus on delivering products and not spend so much time on the marketing of it.

People are going to want to see if the iPhone really can't do what the ad says, and hey presto, they buy an iPhone.

You lose, Samsung.

speedylomeli
Mar 1, 2012, 09:45 AM
I just did that the other day on my phone and it only took me 2 minutes an app i downloaded. The name of the app is Juxtaposer. I got it when it was free ad now its 2.99. This commercial has FAIL! all over it.

dksram
Mar 1, 2012, 11:34 AM
Having that in my pocket would make me feel inadequate. lmao
My gf would be excited to see me...haha

james948
Mar 2, 2012, 05:10 AM
I just did that the other day on my phone and it only took me 2 minutes an app i downloaded. The name of the app is Juxtaposer. I got it when it was free ad now its 2.99. This commercial has FAIL! all over it.

Exactly. I actually did this challenge; hysterical. They had signs up with 'iPhone 4/4S challenge $$$$$$' so I thought what the hell.

Very quickly realised it was a samsung commercial. They asked me to make a card for my cousin; so I went into cards app and created a beautiful one. Etc etc. Utterly pathetic that this is their marketing strategy.

blackNBUK
Mar 2, 2012, 09:36 AM
Don't know whether this has been mentioned already but the small-print at the end of the ad is very revealing. The Note user had been pre-briefed on the exercises that they would be performing. It's no wonder they could do them easily!

MonkeySee....
Mar 2, 2012, 09:59 AM
Don't know whether this has been mentioned already but the small-print at the end of the ad is very revealing. The Note user had been pre-briefed on the exercises that they would be performing. It's no wonder they could do them easily!

Yeah some said that a few pages back but I don't blame you for not seeing it.

Its pretty bad. I'm a stickler for small print though :D

rockstar898
Mar 2, 2012, 01:38 PM
Apple = $545 (U.S.) per share x 932 million shares = $507.94 Billion
Samsung = $1056 (U.S.) per share x 170 million shares = $179.52 Billion

Nuff said :apple:

Jibbajabba
Mar 4, 2012, 03:05 PM

I have noticed that the Siri server will go down every now and then, but for a Beta Product, It's a lot better than many things that aren't Beta when released. And it took a year before it got a little better (MS Vista).

Actually, a lot of people wouldn't even know it was beta because it does usually work so astonishly well! Even critics had to admit their surprise for it to understand was they said correctly even when some humans would ask "What?". Now, Siri just needs to learn to interpret what is said and do 100 times more things with the request. Even though there has been 40 years of development into this (DARPA, etc.), Siri is like a toddler, still learning, (actual AI in there too!).

His exact words were though that Siri is in beta for LANGUAGES only ;)

MythicFrost
Mar 4, 2012, 05:12 PM
His exact words were though that Siri is in beta for LANGUAGES only ;)
Whose words? Tim Cooks'?

I remember one of the Apple team, I believe it was him, saying: ~"Siri is in Beta, what that means is that we'll be adding more languages and services over time".

iSayuSay
Mar 4, 2012, 06:53 PM
Whose words? Tim Cooks'?

I remember one of the Apple team, I believe it was him, saying: ~"Siri is in Beta, what that means is that we'll be adding more languages and services over time".

I know, right. Google will add more languages support, and of course more services over time.

So, Google is also in BETA, like .. forever :D

warboat
Mar 4, 2012, 07:40 PM
Apple = $545 (U.S.) per share x 932 million shares = $507.94 Billion
Samsung = $1056 (U.S.) per share x 170 million shares = $179.52 Billion

Nuff said :apple:

Sorry to rain on your parade but Apple is trading like a commodity. They are a very profitabe company yet they return ZERO in dividends to shareholders!
Shares in Apple are WAAAAY overvalued and the parabolic price rise is going into blow off territory and reversal looms. They don't have the assets to back up the inflated price so all this VALUE is the IT equivalent of speculative vapourware.
Samsung on the other hand has always paid dividends quarterly and they actually have higher overall revenues than Apple. Samsung is also diversified. Apple is banking on iOS devices.
Apple's huge cash reserves means NOTHING to shareholders if they are not paid dividends. All they can hope for is capital gains and maybe new board change of heart to pay out dividends. Steve Jobs thought he was gold (not god) and all the investors money is treated as interest free loans.
Yep, most valuable company on paper, but for how long?

MythicFrost
Mar 4, 2012, 07:46 PM
I know, right. Google will add more languages support, and of course more services over time.

Hahahahaha lol!

Noodlefarmer
Mar 5, 2012, 11:12 AM
The sad fact is that 90% of the people with smartphones have no idea what they can do. They text, watch youtube videos, check facebook, etc. Not everyone is like the people on this board by a long shot. They get a smartphone because they think they need one. In most cases people don't really need them. And in many cases, they're too dumb to figure out how to operate them. I have a relative with an iPhone and she doesn't understand how to do much of anything on it. And doesn't really care. As long as she can watch some talking dog, she's happy. And the iPhone is probably the most intuitive of the smartphones. But you can't cure dumb. It's really pretty sad.

warboat
Mar 5, 2012, 07:43 PM

I agree with you that the iphone has great battery life, but because of this, some iphone users have too much faith in its battery life and skip charging and gamble that they can get thru another day. One of my friends is a light phone user and he almost never charges it until it's warning him of low battery. He brags about only needing to charge his phone twice a week! Invariably he is the one that makes me wait a bit so his phone can get a bit more charge before we go. I have smacked him around the head about it but he thanks Apple for the iphone battery life but the benefits of the iphone's battery has been totally misappropriated by his lazy habit. He used to have a phone that he HAD to charge every night, if he didn't it would die by noon on day 2. Since the iphone he's gone back to his old ways where he never charges it until it beeps low battery. So I end up being the dude with the spare battery that he can always rely on to have a phone that's never low on battery.
He is extreme case of charging lazyness but I'm sure lots of iphone users tend to skip charging occassionally because they think they can get away with it for another day. Would removeable battery and external charger help his case? well, we have discussed it and he would love it. He even threatened to buy the same phone as me so he can use my spare battery!

gatortpk
Mar 6, 2012, 08:19 PM

I suppose there is truth to that. I remember a few years ago that Google was about 5% done with their goal as a search engine (and related services). They want to be able to simply answer any question with near perfect accuracy (sometimes before the person asking finished formulating the question).

So yes, in that context, Google is always in BETA until it no longer exists. But Google has specifically stated what products are in Beta and what aren't, more or less from a software standpoint.

I imagine that Siri will eventually come out of Beta sometime this year. But it will always be learning and expanding like any AI.

gatortpk
Mar 6, 2012, 08:32 PM
If Apple's objective was to test Siri, why not let ALL customers use it instead of limiting it to the 4S?
Siri was running fine on iphone 4 before the 4S was released. And hacked Siri will even run on an iPod Touch so CPU speed is not an issue.
Obviously, Siri was disabled on iphone 4 and used as a selling point for the 4S.
Thanks Apple, we know where your priorities lie.

Siri has worked on other devices, and it's not the CPU speed at all. Siri voice recognition doesn't even occur on the iPhone 4S at all, it happens at the servers. The difference between the iPhone 4S and the other devices is the noise canceling technology. The iPhone 4 had it first (with dual microphones), but the iPhone 4S has the second generation.

I haven't tested this, but I bet that Siri works better on an iPhone 4S in noisy environments than any other device simply because of the noise canceling technology. That's the only reason.

(And we all know that Apple likes things to work well, so why add it to an existing device that it won't work as well on, or at least until Siri is out of Beta?)

lyricthejoe
May 3, 2012, 12:37 PM
Well apple will be a follower if they release a phone with a larger screen. Other companies came out with bigger screens first, so in this area apple will be following suit..

I'm sure before the iphone came out good old SJ ( the man that is god to everyone) used a palm phone with a stylus. I'm sure he used a device with one at some point in his life.

Just because he says if you use one you blew it, doesn't mean squat. He not the final say in what customers WANT or NEED.

I don't think there is. I haven't found a way to do it yet.

James

There is a way to share any address or location. Android users are able to receive contact cards and location information sent from iOS devices. If the user is unable to find a way to get directions to or from that point on the map, he/she should revert back to a flip-phone model. Taking the past 3 years of mobile phone designs into account, which is a HUGE amount of time for change and development, use or need for a stylus is out-dated, inconvenient, and without being chained to the device itself it's certainly doomed to be lost. So yes, Stylus = blew it.

PaddleBoard
Aug 31, 2012, 10:25 AM
The Galaxy Note is now widely available across Canada and the United States. Samsung has follow-up with their massive Super Bowl ad by hitting the streets in NYC and going head-to-head with Apple’s iPhone in a Street Challenge. The video highlights the S Pen and its various features, in this case to make a birthday card, accessing maps and editing a PowerPoint doc.