Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Now2407

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2012
hey guys!

I was wondering what I should when I camp out for the iPad 3.

I am planning to use my friends dads wifi hotspot (i think it has 5 GB of 3G on vrigin mobile)

and I am going to string a 50 foot cord to the lamp post then get a power snake and use that for power.

I am bringing the following Items

>iPod touch 4G

>money

>moms iPad 1

>food

>sleeping bag

>sleeping mat

>flash light

>flip cam (my other friend that is coming is going to bring his camera)

me and my "mentor" are going to the apple store on friday to "steak out the scene" and figure out all the details!

please comment if there is any thing else I should bring or be prepared for!

and if you have ever camped out for a apple product launch please comment your experience and post YOUR VIDEOS HERE!!!!!!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Interesting idea for a thread! :)

Be aware that tapping into city (or even Mall) power for unofficial use is considered trespassing in some areas. Also, if you are going to an Apple Store, check to see if they have wifi enabled at night. You may not need the hotspot, as many Apple Store locations have their WIFI enabled overnight, especially on dates leading up to a launch.

Though, you may be out of range depending on how long the line is leading up to the event. :eek:

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
You forgot to add your large "please mug me" sign to the list of items. Ideally, you'll want to hang this on the outside of the entrance to your tent for maximum effect.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
I suggest you bring some refreshments with laxatives to give to the other people in line.

Oh, and an umbrella.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
I love how everyone's getting really excited for the iPad 3 launch.

People will moan about it, and grumble about people queueing, but it's nice really. It's good to see people get excited over a shared interest!

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
and also drug the coffee with arby's horsey sauce then offer it to the people also for an even better effect. :D:D:D

I'd go with laxatives and sleeping pills. First they'd all have to run to the bathroom then they'd all fall asleep while on the toilet. Guaranteed #1 spot in line

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
hey guys!

I was wondering what I should when I camp out for the iPad 3.

I am planning to use my friends dads wifi hotspot (i think it has 5 GB of 3G on vrigin mobile)

and I am going to string a 50 foot cord to the lamp post then get a power snake and use that for power.

I am bringing the following Items

>iPod touch 4G

>money

>moms iPad 1

>food

>sleeping bag

>sleeping mat

>flash light

>flip cam (my other friend that is coming is going to bring his camera)

me and my "mentor" are going to the apple store on friday to "steak out the scene" and figure out all the details!

please comment if there is any thing else I should bring or be prepared for!

and if you have ever camped out for a apple product launch please comment your experience and post YOUR VIDEOS HERE!!!!!!
drink.
And why do you need a flashlight. the streets are well lit?

i never camped to get a new product. did stay about 10 hours one day in line.
If the stock is going to get low again i might still go to the local reseller. If there's a REALLY low stock like 10 per store, then im going to the only real apple store and camp out.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I don't imagine that there will be low stock. It isn't exactly a risky product to release. They know they will sell however many they make.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
drink.
And why do you need a flashlight. the streets are well lit?

i never camped to get a new product. did stay about 10 hours one day in line.
If the stock is going to get low again i might still go to the local reseller. If there's a REALLY low stock like 10 per store, then im going to the only real apple store and camp out.

If it its a mag-light, it also works well for beating off intruders that enter your tent. Due to the sign of course.

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
I don't imagine that there will be low stock. It isn't exactly a risky product to release. They know they will sell however many they make.

Apple must purposely make less than they know they need to create a greater demand and get free publicity. If you are unable to get an iPad 3, you will stop at nothing to get it, and along the way want it more, and everyone around you will know about it. And then Apple is able to claim that "they are selling every one that they make."

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
This is what I am bringing

1. MacBook Pro
2. iPad 2 64GB+3G that I am selling to someone I know the next day
3. iPhone 4S 64GB
4. Chairs
5. Snacks
6. Bose QC 15 Headphones

Planning on getting there around 12AM if my predictions about the time are correct.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Hmm...if I do this (I'm debating ordering online, the whole ATT iPhone 4S debacle was awful)

But I'm planning on....

3DS w/Ocarina of Time
iPhone 4S
Samsung Galaxy S
Steve Jobs Biography
Homework.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I'm surprised it's not being mentioned more often, but chairs!

My god have I regretted any year I forgot or overlooked a good chair. I'm usually the type to be in the first 5 on line and I wind up sitting on the cold ground, indian-style. So uncomfortable.

If I remember correctly, last iPad I did a Best Buy and forgot a chair AND forgot blankets and an umbrella. Complete failure.

By 6am we had a freezing rain and I was miserable lol

Let's also remember to bring this: The wherewithall to find a good parking spot. There's nothing like having a car charger right in front of you, not to mention (if the crowd is polite to each other enough) a place to sit and get a cat-nap in the heat of the car. Then there's the close proximity for the quick don't-mug-me-bro walk to the car. lol

iohass

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2012
Canada
Hmm...if I do this (I'm debating ordering online, the whole ATT iPhone 4S debacle was awful)

But I'm planning on....

3DS w/Ocarina of Time
iPhone 4S
Samsung Galaxy S
Steve Jobs Biography
Homework.

you are bringing TWO phones?

jb12345

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Conceal and carry. Protect yourself And others in line. Someone always gets mugged at one of these electronics launch events.

nienie

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
I will be taking:
A sleeping bag (for warmth).
Water.
Candy and cereal bars.
Warm clothes.
My iphone and ipod touch.
A good book just incase my electronics die.
Money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.