PDA

View Full Version : To the Forum Admins: Tapatalk and Search

rocknblogger
Feb 24, 2012, 06:32 AM
From what I understand it's on the webmaster of any vBullitin forum to add a search plugin so that the Tapatalk app can utilize the search feature.

It is extremely frustrating to not be able to search for content that I'm sure exists. Then when creating a thread to ask a question that's already been asked A LOT, we have to put up with a number of replies telling us to search to forums for the answer. Usually in a pretty arrogant and condescending tone.

I cant imagine that it would be so cost prohibitive to not be able to get this done.

On behalf of all Tapatalk users can we please get search to work for us?

Thanks in advance!!

BW

arn
Feb 24, 2012, 02:02 PM
From what I understand it's on the webmaster of any vBullitin forum to add a search plugin so that the Tapatalk app can utilize the search feature.

We disabled Tapatalk search specifically. There reason is that our database is too large and Tapatalk's search can slow down the entire forum with a single search.

I don't see a quick solution unless Tapatalk modifies their app to handle search differently.

arn

MonkeyBrainz
Feb 24, 2012, 02:16 PM
We disabled Tapatalk search specifically. There reason is that our database is too large and Tapatalk's search can slow down the entire forum with a single search.

I don't see a quick solution unless Tapatalk modifies their app to handle search differently.

arn

How long ago did you disable it? I use it at several other forums with the latest integration and there's no noticeable slowdown that I can see.

But you're the one behind the scenes so you know a lot more regarding the matter.

Thanks for the heads up, though... was wondering why search wasn't working.

moonman239
Feb 24, 2012, 06:10 PM

It is extremely frustrating to not be able to search for content that I'm sure exists. Then when creating a thread to ask a question that's already been asked A LOT, we have to put up with a number of replies telling us to search to forums for the answer. Usually in a pretty arrogant and condescending tone.

I cant imagine that it would be so cost prohibitive to not be able to get this done.

On behalf of all Tapatalk users can we please get search to work for us?

Thanks in advance!!

BW

I wonder why Tapatalk doesn't fully work without action on a forum admin's part. How hard is it to make an app that uses the site's PHP pages like a browser does? I know it would use more data, but some of us have enough cellular data. A lot of us are using WiFi most of the time.

arn
Feb 24, 2012, 07:20 PM
How long ago did you disable it? I use it at several other forums with the latest integration and there's no noticeable slowdown that I can see.

But you're the one behind the scenes so you know a lot more regarding the matter.

Thanks for the heads up, though... was wondering why search wasn't working.

How big are those forums? The search inefficiency goes up considerably as the number of posts get larger.

If you see a large one with search enabled, I can take a closer look.

arn

rocknblogger
Feb 24, 2012, 09:54 PM
How big are those forums? The search inefficiency goes up considerably as the number of posts get larger.

If you see a large one with search enabled, I can take a closer look.

arn

XDA developers forum is quite large and search works flawlessly. I just did a search for EVO 4G and I got results almost instantaneously.

arn
Feb 24, 2012, 10:04 PM
XDA developers forum is quite large and search works flawlessly. I just did a search for EVO 4G and I got results almost instantaneously.

Interesting. They seem to be using the same system we are. I'll drop them a line.

arn

arn
Feb 24, 2012, 10:18 PM

Strange, I just did a search for EVO 4G and got no results.

arn

rocknblogger
Feb 24, 2012, 10:37 PM
Strange, I just did a search for EVO 4G and got no results.

arn

I have no reason to play games or lie.

arn
Feb 24, 2012, 10:41 PM
I have no reason to play games or lie.

Not suggesting that, just doesn't work for me.

I emailed the admins to see how they are handling Taptalk search.

rocknblogger
Feb 24, 2012, 11:24 PM
Not suggesting that, just doesn't work for me.

I emailed the admins to see how they are handling Taptalk search.

I just didn't want you to think I was giving you hard time just for fun.

FYI I tried searching on iPad 2 Tapatalk also and it also worked.

I have the iPhone 4S and in both cases I have the most updated Tapatalk version which was updated just yesterday I think.

Bobby.e
Mar 31, 2012, 09:59 PM
I would love to see search enabled as well. I can see if you disabled though due to slowing the forum down. We wouldn't want that.

arn
Mar 31, 2012, 10:03 PM
I would love to see search enabled as well. I can see if you disabled though due to slowing the forum down. We wouldn't want that.

I just didn't want you to think I was giving you hard time just for fun.

FYI I tried searching on iPad 2 Tapatalk also and it also worked.

I have the iPhone 4S and in both cases I have the most updated Tapatalk version which was updated just yesterday I think.

Here's another forum with the same problem.

http://tapatalk.com/forum/threads/cant-use-search-feature-on-reefcentral-forum-anymore.9516/

I emailed XDA Dev Forums to see how they got it working, but they never got back to me.

arn

Bobby.e
Mar 31, 2012, 10:09 PM
Interesting. There's got to be a way.