PDA

View Full Version : Why i had a buyer but decided not to sell ipad2

Nychot
Feb 24, 2012, 07:52 AM
I advertised mine 16gb white wifi in craigslist and had a buyer for $450 with case. The other morning when i was supposed to meet him i got sellers remorse and decided not to sell. Why? I have some 200 apps plus pages etc. all neatly in folders that actually took weeks to do in spare time. When you go to the cloud or backup to itunes you LOSE all folders, all apps are scattered and you have to start over again making folders and moving all apps etc. i had my Ipad SO customized that i couldnt give it up and face the folder project again. I also couldnt do without my ipad. So i'll wait until the ipad3 gets released and either sell then or keep both. Its crazy that folders cant be kept in place during a backup. Anyone else agree? Anyone else change mind about selling and why?

ugahairydawgs
Feb 24, 2012, 09:05 AM
I restored my iPhone last night from an iTunes Backup and it put everything back like it was before. I can't imagine that is different for iPad.

DesertSilver
Feb 24, 2012, 09:11 AM
I advertised mine 16gb white wifi in craigslist and had a buyer for $450 with case. The other morning when i was supposed to meet him i got sellers remorse and decided not to sell. Why? I have some 200 apps plus pages etc. all neatly in folders that actually took weeks to do in spare time. When you go to the cloud or backup to itunes you LOSE all folders, all apps are scattered and you have to start over again making folders and moving all apps etc. i had my Ipad SO customized that i couldnt give it up and face the folder project again. I also couldnt do without my ipad. So i'll wait until the ipad3 gets released and either sell then or keep both. Its crazy that folders cant be kept in place during a backup. Anyone else agree? Anyone else change mind about selling and why?

Are you sure that a manual backup to iTunes will not retain your folders? Like the previous reply said it should at least do it for the iPhone, although I haven't done a restore in a long time, I can't see a restore to an iPad being any different.

urkel
Feb 24, 2012, 09:12 AM
I have some 200 apps plus pages etc. all neatly in folders that actually took weeks to do in spare time. When you go to the cloud or backup to itunes you LOSE all folders, all apps are scattered and you have to start over again making folders and moving all apps etc. i had my Ipad SO customized that i couldnt give it up and face the folder project again.
App location DOES get saved. Ive done restores numerous times both through cloud and local backups. The problem comes when people touch the iPad before the entire process finishes restoring so even though all the apps were downloaded back, its not done until its done.

I have a cloud backup for our iPads but I also did a local backup just because restoration is slow enough without introducing factors like "the cloud" into it.

blue43fan
Feb 24, 2012, 09:37 AM
When you go to the cloud or backup to itunes you LOSE all folders, all apps are scattered and you have to start over again making folders and moving all apps etc. i had my Ipad SO customized that i couldnt give it up and face the folder project again.

That is absolutely not true. When you restore from backup, folders and app location are retained.

ThatsMeRight
Feb 24, 2012, 09:50 AM
I think it's a stupid reason to not buy the iPad 3 solely because you have to re-arrange your apps.

I'm quite certain there are enough apps you actually never use so doing it all over again isn't so bad. And, as pointed out, you can just do a restore from back-up and everything is back in place.

G77
Feb 24, 2012, 09:59 AM
As was already mentioned - when you have backup in iCloud - you need put in your itunes credentials and wait. EVERYTHING is back. Its the same iPad with all your data.

anirudh
Feb 24, 2012, 10:20 AM
Now the OP has a 'WHY DIDNT I SELL' remorse ;)

Your folder structure is saved when you backup AND restore from a backup. So go ahead and sell it ASAP OP

kalex
Feb 24, 2012, 10:22 AM
Sell it before buyer realizes the price he is paying and gets buyer's remorse :)

Zcott
Feb 24, 2012, 11:26 AM
When you go to the cloud or backup to itunes you LOSE all folders, all apps are scattered and you have to start over again making folders and moving all apps etc.

Worth quoting this again and down voting because it's incorrect information.

urkel
Feb 24, 2012, 11:37 AM
I think it's a stupid reason to not buy the iPad 3 solely because you have to re-arrange your apps.

I'm quite certain there are enough apps you actually never use so doing it all over again isn't so bad. And, as pointed out, you can just do a restore from back-up and everything is back in place.
While I don't think re-arranging folders is enough reason to keep a product you will replace soon, I do sympathize with anyone who's lost their folder work because Ive wasted hours organizing only to have a sync suddenly break my work.

Im hoping that part of the iTunes overhaul is a function to automatically categorize apps because thats a task I never want to do again.

bigjnyc
Feb 24, 2012, 12:25 PM
Uh how many times are you going to post this?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1328107

I'm starting to think you're making this up for attention on the forums. I doubt anyone offered $450 for last years iPad unless they live under a rock.

palpatine
Feb 24, 2012, 12:34 PM
seller's remorse here because i have to read on my computer. i could not care less about my folders. it is such a non-issue to me, especially if several hundred dollars is on the line.

i'll want to totally redo everything in the ipad3 anyhow :)

falcora
Feb 24, 2012, 12:59 PM

That used to be the case, but ever since iCloud and iOS 5.0, backups save all settings and folder organization.

Nychot
Feb 24, 2012, 01:18 PM
Are you sure that a manual backup to iTunes will not retain your folders? Like the previous reply said it should at least do it for the iPhone, although I haven't done a restore in a long time, I can't see a restore to an iPad being any different.

I had to do a restire once before and the folders fisappeared. Apple tech support says folders disapoear, sorry.

----------

App location DOES get saved. Ive done restores numerous times both through cloud and local backups. The problem comes when people touch the iPad before the entire process finishes restoring so even though all the apps were downloaded back, its not done until its done.

I have a cloud backup for our iPads but I also did a local backup just because restoration is slow enough without introducing factors like "the cloud" into it.

But i doubt everything can back in folders. Even apple tech support says it cant happen.

----------

It restores apps in alphabetical order not location and not in folders.

----------

I didnt say i wasnt buying one. I said i was going to wait and not sell before release

zackkmac
Feb 24, 2012, 01:19 PM
If you don't really need an iPad 3 then the iPad 2 is a fantastic device for the moment, and you definitely have gotten yours highly customized to your likings. So I think you made a good choice. :)

Although, I wonder how the potential buyer might be feeling now. :p

Nychot
Feb 24, 2012, 01:20 PM
That is absolutely not true. When you restore from backup, folders and app location are retained.

My folders were NOT restored and apps came back in alpha order. Either you were lucky of i wasnt. Even apple tech support says folders are lost.

ugahairydawgs
Feb 24, 2012, 01:21 PM
I had to do a restire once before and the folders fisappeared. Apple tech support says folders disapoear, sorry.

----------

But i doubt everything can back in folders. Even apple tech support says it cant happen.

----------

It restores apps in alphabetical order not location and not in folders.

----------

I didnt say i wasnt buying one. I said i was going to wait and not sell before release

You, and the person you spoke to at Apple, are wrong.

ThatsMeRight
Feb 24, 2012, 01:23 PM
(...)
Ah, I thought you were saying you were not going to buy an iPad 3 only because you would have to re-arrange your folders.

deeddawg
Feb 24, 2012, 01:23 PM
[I] decided not to sell. Why? I have some 200 apps plus pages etc. all neatly in folders that actually took weeks to do in spare time. [...] i had my Ipad SO customized that i couldnt give it up and face the folder project again.

So you're going to keep your ipad2 forever and never upgrade? :confused:

It doesn't take that long to screencap the folder arrangements for future reference, nor does it take that long to reorganize apps into folders. I can see it taking a couple weeks to work out the arrangement you want, but recording/recreating should take little time.

Nychot
Feb 24, 2012, 01:24 PM
While I don't think re-arranging folders is enough reason to keep a product you will replace soon, I do sympathize with anyone who's lost their folder work because Ive wasted hours organizing only to have a sync suddenly break my work.

Im hoping that part of the iTunes overhaul is a function to automatically categorize apps because thats a task I never want to do again.

AGREED but everyone here is saying i am wrong, that folders remain. Not in my case.

ugahairydawgs
Feb 24, 2012, 01:27 PM
AGREED but everyone here is saying i am wrong, that folders remain. Not in my case.

If you have app syncing turned on in iTunes and do a backup, when you go to do a restore and select the backup that you did before the restore as what you want to use to setup the iPad it will put everything back how you had it. Apps, folders, locations, and app data....all of it will be there.

I get that you don't want to test it out and be wrong, but if you do the backup and restore right.....its like you never missed a beat.

Nychot
Feb 24, 2012, 01:30 PM
Uh how many times are you going to post this?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1328107

I'm starting to think you're making this up for attention on the forums. I doubt anyone offered $450 for last years iPad unless they live under a rock.

Wrong. $450 and it comes with applecare and a case. Check cl and ebay that what they go for or do you live under a rock:D

Eves apple
Feb 24, 2012, 01:46 PM
Top tip.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/9/7/128968069463932973.jpg
:D

Nychot
Feb 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
I lost all my folders and all my apps came back in alohabetical order on my ipad2. However, and maybe this is the difference, i was then using the ios prior to ios5. Someone here said it doesnt happen in 5.01. To avoid the same horrific problem i called tech support and was told folders wont be backed up. Thats when i decided not to sell to the buyer and decided to wait for ipad3, which im sure i will buy. When i was still planning to sell and had the buyer i did do a backup to the cloud and moved my photos to iphoto on my mbp. Will i be able to download all my stuff from the cloud to the new ipad3 when i get it, or is everything restricted to the original ipad that uploaded it all?

Eves apple
Feb 24, 2012, 01:56 PM
I think as long as you use your same iTunes account and deauthorise (not sure if you do this with iDevices or just Macs) it should all go over, for folders, if it's worying you, take a screen shot of each folder and page so it's easy to put things where you had them :)

Nychot
Feb 24, 2012, 02:33 PM
I think as long as you use your same iTunes account and deauthorise (not sure if you do this with iDevices or just Macs) it should all go over, for folders, if it's worying you, take a screen shot of each folder and page so it's easy to put things where you had them :)

Thats what i thought too or make a list. Tnx

Nychot
Feb 24, 2012, 02:46 PM
HavingFun2
Re: How do I sync my apps without losing the app data?
Oct 10, 2010 4:09 PM (in response to CubicalPerspective)
I have worked in the IT field for almost 30 years. I find the iphone OS 4.1 "synching" process an abysmally horrendous experience. More often than not after spending hours reorganizing apps into meaningful folders, the synching process loses all my efforts. Often there are no folders remaining and I have to start all over again.

After calling Apple support on numerous occasions, they admit they are unclear as to when precisely backups / synching occur and in which direction they occur. They provide conflicting answers as to the proper procedure to follow when attempting to make changes to folder changes and synching them back onto your device.

Apple needs to make the process of synching folders / apps etc far less buggy and easier for the end user to understand and control. On numerous occasions I've lost hours of work due to a buggy and seriously flawed 'synching' process.
iOS 4
Like (2)

Steelgrave
Feb 24, 2012, 03:02 PM
Worth quoting this again and down voting because it's incorrect information.

Then why has it happened to several folks? (myself included) It may have been a bug in iOS thats been fixed (I haven't had to restore since ~June of last year), but it happened to me.

Your comment should be down voted for existing honestly.

Dr Kevorkian94
Feb 24, 2012, 04:36 PM
I just told a buyer no about a min ago. The lady wanted me to ship the thing to west africa! I told her if we can't do this locally then id rather not. Her ploy sounded equally legit as it was a scam but ill just hold out a bit longer.

deeddawg
Feb 24, 2012, 07:00 PM
I just told a buyer no about a min ago. The lady wanted me to ship the thing to west africa!

That would be a scammer, not a buyer. With a buyer, you end up with money in exchange for your ipad. :)

adnbek
Feb 24, 2012, 07:09 PM
HavingFun2
Re: How do I sync my apps without losing the app data?
Oct 10, 2010 4:09 PM (in response to CubicalPerspective)
I have worked in the IT field for almost 30 years. I find the iphone OS 4.1 "synching" process an abysmally horrendous experience. More often than not after spending hours reorganizing apps into meaningful folders, the synching process loses all my efforts. Often there are no folders remaining and I have to start all over again.

After calling Apple support on numerous occasions, they admit they are unclear as to when precisely backups / synching occur and in which direction they occur. They provide conflicting answers as to the proper procedure to follow when attempting to make changes to folder changes and synching them back onto your device.

Apple needs to make the process of synching folders / apps etc far less buggy and easier for the end user to understand and control. On numerous occasions I've lost hours of work due to a buggy and seriously flawed 'synching' process.
iOS 4
Like (2)

With iOS 4 you had to jump through hurdles to get it to work correctly. I had many moments of anguish re-arranging the apps again, but with the latest iTunes/iOS, the one restore will bring back the iPad to the exact same layout as before, folders and all. Trust me, it works.

Dr Kevorkian94
Feb 25, 2012, 10:25 AM
That would be a scammer, not a buyer. With a buyer, you end up with money in exchange for your ipad. :)

Yea lmao, I had another guy today with the same story. At this rate I'll never sell it :(

racer1441
Feb 25, 2012, 11:47 AM
I reset my iPad and loaded it back with no problem just to say how stupid this concept is.

SpaceKitty
Feb 25, 2012, 12:02 PM

I had this happen once as well on my iPhone. Restoring lost all my folders so I had to redo all of them.

I have not had that problem since and restoring restores folders and apps within.