Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
From the start Apple have lead in hardware, software and sales with the iPad. The hardware capabilities blew away all its competitors last year and its only now that we have any real competition with Tegra 3.

Samsungs Exynos 5250 is a major step up from anything we have seen so far. They're expected to show their Galaxy Tab 11.6 next week with their dual Arm A15 plus dual Arm A7 CPU SOC. This device has the potential to have major processing muscle and incredibly long battery life. No Arm A9 variant has the potential to compete with this part.

Normally I'd say the evidence points to Apple's A5x being a dual or quad cored A9 but it would be so unlike them to be left in the dust with the Exynos 5250 so early in the game. It's not a case of wishful thinking but based on how the iPad 1 & 2 were pitched in the market, it makes no sense for he iPad 3 to be left behind this time.

If Samsung are close to releasing an Arm A15 part I see no reason why Apple could not do the same. I'd like to see the A5x being a dual Arm15 and the A6/7 being a quad A15.

What does everyone else think?

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
what are you talking about?

Galaxy Tab 10.1 had double the RAM of the iPad, has a 1ghz Dual Core Tegra2, and a higher res screen than the iPad 2.

Apple has never been about specs, never will be. They don't even announce things like clock speed of their processors, amount of RAM in the devices, etc.

If you think the iPad 3 is going to be the best spec'd tablet this year, you're wrong.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
From the start Apple have lead in hardware, software and sales with the iPad. The hardware capabilities blew away all its competitors last year and its only now that we have any real competition with Tegra 3.

Samsungs Exynos 5250 is a major step up from anything we have seen so far. They're expected to show their Galaxy Tab 11.6 next week with their dual Arm A15 plus dual Arm A7 CPU SOC. This device has the potential to have major processing muscle and incredibly long battery life. No Arm A9 variant has the potential to compete with this part.

Normally I'd say the evidence points to Apple's A5x being a dual or quad cored A9 but it would be so unlike them to be left in the dust with the Exynos 5250 so early in the game. It's not a case of wishful thinking but based on how the iPad 1 & 2 were pitched in the market, it makes no sense for he iPad 3 to be left behind this time.

If Samsung are close to releasing an Arm A15 part I see no reason why Apple could not do the same. I'd like to see the A5x being a dual Arm15 and the A6/7 being a quad A15.

What does everyone else think?
I think it's completely irrelevant.

A5X went into mass production 2-3 months ago to deploy many millions for a 1Q12 launch.

Samsung 5250 doesn't even start mass production til 2Q12. Probably no hardware in hands of consumers until 3Q.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5467/samsung-exynos-5250-begins-sampling-mass-production-in-q2-2012

We're talking a 5-6 month difference here. Android hardware has always leapfrogged Apple's hardware, it has not mattered in years past, there is no reason to even have an itch of suspicion it will be any different this time.

Edit: I think A5X is dual-A9 with beefed up GPU. To wish for any more is only being delusion and having a significantly elevated risk of disappointment.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
More comments.

With this new news. A5X is definitely going to be A9 based. Hopefully it's a dual with beefed up GPU.

But I think it's going to be a quad-A9 like Tegra. Remember this pictures of the metal top on the SOC? Heat-spreader, for directly coupling it to the alloy rear chassis of iPad to dissipate heat. We're talking a real heater, hand-burner about to come out of Cupertino, a la some Macbooks.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
More comments.

With this new news. A5X is definitely going to be A9 based. Hopefully it's a dual with beefed up GPU.

But I think it's going to be a quad-A9 like Tegra. Remember this pictures of the metal top on the SOC? Heat-spreader, for directly coupling it to the alloy rear chassis of iPad to dissipate heat. We're talking a real heater, hand-burner about to come out of Cupertino, a la some Macbooks.
how do you know this a5x is even what's going to be in the new iPad? just because there was a picture of it doesn't mean that's what's going to be used. Could have been just a prototype, could just be an a5 with a better gpu, could be what we see in the iPad 3, could not be....:D

and there is an "edit" button so you don't have to double post ;)

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Menel said:
More comments.

The A5X was never confirmed to be a dual core A9...

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
We don't know if the A5X will be the logic board of the next iPad, that's only a rumor.
Your argument may make sense if that's the case. Battery life is a crucial factor for many users, among with, of course, power (to play demanding games and to multitask, for example).

I think that's normal. Apple is doing really well, but it's not the only player in the game.
Other companies will emerge and, probably, will overcome Apple in the near future. That's to be expected in my opinion.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
We don't know if the A5X will be the logic board of the next iPad, that's only a rumor.
Your argument may make sense if that's the case. Battery life is a crucial factor for many users, among with, of course, power (to play demanding games and to multitask, for example).

I think that's normal. Apple is doing really well, but it's not the only player in the game.
Other companies will emerge and, probably, will overcome Apple in the near future. That's to be expected in my opinion.

if apple keeps this up, then no one will throw apple from its crown.
They are always like a year ahead.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
what are you talking about?

Galaxy Tab 10.1 had double the RAM of the iPad, has a 1ghz Dual Core Tegra2, and a higher res screen than the iPad 2.

Apple has never been about specs, never will be. They don't even announce things like clock speed of their processors, amount of RAM in the devices, etc.

If you think the iPad 3 is going to be the best spec'd tablet this year, you're wrong.

On the contrary, they're starting to become about specs as well as software which they already do incredibly well. The iPad 2 is a good example of that, it's still got the most powerful graphics in a slate nearly a year later and the 4S has the most powerful graphics in any smartphone, for now at least.

The iPad 3 will be a significant upgrade. I'm hoping for a 1.5GHz dual-core Cortex A15 and powerful enough graphics to handle the retina display -- preferably graphics that'll give us twice the frame rate at 2048x1536 as the iPad 2 does at 1024x768, for even more amazing games :D

juicytuna

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011

I remember when the A4 was announced along with iPad 1 they had slides boasting of its 1 gigahertz speed. This was of course dropped from iPhone 4 marketing and after much probing by the community it was found to be running at 'only' 800 mhz.

Apple have used and will use specs as a marketing tool when it shows them in a positive light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.