Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoToneshuzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
It seems to me that the buying adivice "don't buy now product is reaching end of cycle" or something is way off-- The previous updates for the mini are often at least one year. This compounded with the recent announcement of the postponement of the release of IVY bridge makes "don't buy now" seem like an unfortunatel case of misinformation..

If you know what I mean?

Regards

TwoToneshuzz

Last edited:

ea9

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
It seems to me that the buying adivice "don't buy now product is reaching end of cycle" or something is way off-- The previous updates for the mini are often at least one year. This compounded with the recent announcement of the postponement of the release of IVY bridge makes "don't buy now" seem like an unfortunatel case of misinformation..

If you know what I mean?

Regards

TwoToneshuzz

To each his own. If you need it now buy it now it's that simple. Until there's a confirmed date it's all speculation anyways.

What I do recommend to friends, if you're not buying a product at the beginning then you should opt for a certified apple refurb, at least you save 15% easy. This is something you can't get with a brand new product.

TwoToneshuzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
I don't no if it's so much as to each his own. I just feel that to say that it's reaching end of cycle is not an accurate assesment.

For me wait to buy adivce is relevant within say a 2 or 3 months time frame from the next release of a product. If someone can wait longer then it's info that can't be addressed to a person who is currently in the market, shopping for a needed upgrade for tools of his/her trade. I and most others can perhaps always wait for toys, but tools that you need to get on with productive creative process or something business related are something you need to benefit from as soon as reasonably possible.

Therefore advice to wait for something more than a month or two is malplaced gives the wrong impression as the mac mini is clearly several months away from an upgrade. It's all just speculation I know but it seems pretty clearly stated that it is buying advice, not the more informal format of suggestions dropped in a larger article..

Credibility is important for sites like MacRumours I presume.

Regards

TwoToneshuzz

Last edited:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
It seems to me that the buying adivice "don't buy now product is reaching end of cycle" or something is way off... seem like an unfortunatel case of misinformation..

If you know what I mean?

"Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle" is the precise recommendation. If you want to be a critic, be exact. The buyer's guide isn't science, it isn't precise, but it works on predicted probability based on the frequency of past events. The warning is prudent, and means "think about it".

The chances of a mini update in June/July is still a good probability since most of the updating will be a new processor. The major redesign of the architecture was done before last year's launch. If you don't NEED a new computer now, waiting five months will provide a person with a computer which will probably last them 5 years or more, depending. If you need one now, then get one now.

TwoToneshuzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Fair enough I was too lazy to check back to get the exact wording. But I wonder if waiting 5 months for a possible upgrade that could just as easily be extended into late summer is approaching end of cycle when the mini was updated in July? That would put it in that gray middle zone in my books. The end of cycle to me for a yearly refresh is kind of 3 months to new release territory.

Now all this thread is about is, determing what is reasonable advice for somone who is in need of a computer for getting more work done now, missing out on a productivty boost over a 5 or 6 month period seems like a huge loss. A July release doesn't make sense for most users as that is the peak summer holiday season.. Buy a new computer and go to the beach? Nope so I and likely most others would be waiting 6 months to upgrade if I follow the advice here. It just rubs me... the wrong way.. Again if it's a toy, no problem if it's a needed tool...

I like the MacRumors concept and service provided but sorry I think you are wrong on this one.

Regards

Last edited:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I like the MacRumors concept and service provided but sorry I think you are wrong on this one.

Regards

That's why you need to use your own consideration.

I, for one, am waiting for the next update to buy a mini. I do consider it coming close to the end of the cycle. Most likely it updates in 5 months, but it could update in 2 or 3 or 4 months. It could update in 6 or 7 or 8 months. It could update in 2 years or never. However, I don't NEED it at this time. If it doesn't release by August, I'll buy a current one, assuming the rumors don't point to a coming update.

So it works as a buying guide for me. It obviously doesn't for you, but it made you consider, so it actually does work for you.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Ivy Bridge wasn't postponed, Intel clarified that the day after the newswires went to town on nothing more than a rumor. Intel constrained availability on only the dual core desktop Ivy Bridge processor to allow more time to clear existing Sandy Bridge stock out of the supply chain.

TwoToneshuzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
The supply chain is kind of limited with only one producer of chips for the Mac at present.

I wasn't aware of the fact that it was only the dual processor version that was delayed.

I''m not that worried about upgrading early now, and losing out on a perhaps 10-20% increase in speed. I've actually waited 5 years since my last upgrade so it will not feel like I've been cheated in any way. Also the next mini is not likely to have any improvemnts to the actual architecture, just speed bumps. Dual Thunderbolt would be the only thing that would be a drag to miss if that was implemented.

I'm going for a multi computer setup for audio so the strategy now is to get ONE computer now so I can get an immeadate productivty boost, and ONE computer when the new version comes out instead of the preferred modus which would be two now so I could get used to working in multi computer setups.

So I reluctantly take MacRumours advice at least halfway.

Regards

Wade

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
The supply chain is kind of limited with only one producer of chips for the Mac at present.

I wasn't aware of the fact that it was only the dual processor version that was delayed.

I''m not that worried about upgrading early now, and losing out on a perhaps 10-20% increase in speed. I've actually waited 5 years since my last upgrade so it will not feel like I've been cheated in any way. Also the next mini is not likely to have any improvemnts to the actual architecture, just speed bumps. Dual Thunderbolt would be the only thing that would be a drag to miss if that was implemented.

I'm going for a multi computer setup for audio so the strategy now is to get ONE computer now so I can get an immeadate productivty boost, and ONE computer when the new version comes out instead of the preferred modus which would be two now so I could get used to working in multi computer setups.

So I reluctantly take MacRumours advice at least halfway.

Regards

Wade

Wow, you do not understand the concept of MacRumors at all.

Confused that you think there is some sort of expectation of "service" off of MacRumors? Do you think that anyone here gets paid or that they work for Apple?
Mac mini buying advice wrong?

I'm unsure how buying advice on Mac Rumors can be "wrong" It's ADVICE. Please grow up and take the free advice off a Mac website for what it's worth -- and stop the longwinded whining.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
From my experience they've done right by me. Saved me from jumping into an older model of the iBook a few years ago.

Basically the way it's working is that it determines the average time Apple tends to upgrade its product lines, so if the average is 365 days, and you're already at 275 days into the product line, I think it's a worthwhile suggestion saying to just wait another 90 days for the new product.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
The last Mac Mini was released around the time Lion was released, so it's not unreasonable to expect another release around the time of Mountain Lion. Still, I just purchased a base Mac Mini a couple weeks back and I'm glad I did. The best thing is to provide people with good advice on balance, noting where things are in the cycle, and helping people get what they need when they need it. Waiting for the next great thing can be maddening, particularly since rumors can be just plain wrong, or features aren't quite what one was expecting. Rarely are new features released that one simply can't do without, but one can usually gauge the risk ahead of time, ie. we think there might release of larger retina displays on one or more products, and your line of work could utilize that, hence wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.