PDA

View Full Version : Instagram like tab bar

ljg93
Feb 25, 2012, 06:05 PM
Hey everyone,

I followed this tutorial on how to make a tab bar like the one on instagram (http://idevrecipes.com/2010/12/16/raised-center-tab-bar-button/#comment-985)

I have it functioning inside my app but, I am having trouble getting the tabs to go to certain view controllers and the tab bar to actually work like a tab bar.
Right now, the tab bar just appears on the screen with a black background. (Attached is a screenshot)

if you download the project and go into the baseviewcontroller.m you will see the following code

-(UIViewController*) viewControllerWithTabTitle:(NSString*) title image:(UIImage*)image
{
UIViewController* viewController = [[[UIViewController alloc] init] autorelease];
viewController.tabBarItem = [[[UITabBarItem alloc] initWithTitle:title image:image tag:0] autorelease];
return viewController;
}

Which I believe sets the tab bar up for the code in the instagramViewController.m

self.viewControllers = [NSArray arrayWithObjects:
[self viewControllerWithTabTitle:@"Feed" image:[UIImage imageNamed:@"112-group.png"]],
[self viewControllerWithTabTitle:@"Popular" image:[UIImage imageNamed:@"29-heart.png"]],
[self viewControllerWithTabTitle:@"Share" image:nil],
[self viewControllerWithTabTitle:@"News" image:[UIImage imageNamed:@"news.png"]],
[self viewControllerWithTabTitle:@"@user" image:[UIImage imageNamed:@"123-id-card.png"]], nil];

I am pretty sure I need to replace it with code like this

self.window = [[[UIWindow alloc] initWithFrame:[[UIScreen mainScreen] bounds]] autorelease];
// Override point for customization after application launch.
UIViewController *viewController1, *viewController2;
if ([[UIDevice currentDevice] userInterfaceIdiom] == UIUserInterfaceIdiomPhone) {
viewController1 = [[[FirstViewController alloc] initWithNibName:@"FirstViewController_iPhone" bundle:nil] autorelease];
viewController2 = [[[SecondViewController alloc] initWithNibName:@"SecondViewController_iPhone" bundle:nil] autorelease];
}
self.tabBarController = [[[UITabBarController alloc] init] autorelease];
self.tabBarController.viewControllers = [NSArray arrayWithObjects:viewController1, viewController2, nil];
self.window.rootViewController = self.tabBarController;
[self.window makeKeyAndVisible];
return YES;

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions?