Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
I am looking for a bag for my MBA 13".

I really want the Incase 13" bag. (They call it a sleeve?)
http://www.amazon.com/Incase-CL57482-weather-resistant-Macbook/dp/B0043NTOKC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1330220440&sr=8-11 .

There are 2 front pockets, you can put your charger in one of them, and put an adapter or external hard drive in the other, very convenient.

$60 for this is way overpriced. Where I can get this for cheaper, or something very similar?

Note: I have seen the bag/sleeve thread, no match for what I want.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If you decide you're willing to spend $60 dollars, I'd highly recommend this bag: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H0762LL/A/LEVEL8_13_Single_Slim_Case

It's superior, in my opinion. A dedicated laptop sleeve within the bag, the extra pockets are also within, a slot for paper inside, and sewn on straps for extra quality/security. Not to mention it's airport check friendly. All you have to do is open it and lay it out flat. No need to take out the laptop. Very handy when traveling. It also looks far more professional, if that's important to you.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
If you decide you're willing to spend $60 dollars, I'd highly recommend this bag: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H0762LL/A/LEVEL8_13_Single_Slim_Case

It's superior, in my opinion. A dedicated laptop sleeve within the bag, the extra pockets are also within, a slot for paper inside, and sewn on straps for extra quality/security. Not to mention it's airport check friendly. All you have to do is open it and lay it out flat. No need to take out the laptop. Very handy when traveling. It also looks far more professional, if that's important to you.

It looks really awesome & professional, though I've been shopping in the $30 price range.

How's the thickness in real life? The website claims it's for Macbook Pro? Is it manageable if I put it in my bagpack?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It looks really awesome & professional, though I've been shopping in the $30 price range.

How's the thickness in real life? The website claims it's for Macbook Pro? Is it manageable if I put it in my bagpack?

I think the bag is thin, even after putting in the charger (which gives it the slightest bulge). However, depending on how large of a backpack your'e talking about, it'd be weird to put the Level8 bag within a bag. If you plan to carry a backpack around, perhaps you're looking more for a sleeve, than a dedicated laptop bag. What I'm saying is, it'd be more comfortable carrying the Level8 bag on its own. That's how it's meant to be.

Having said that, you could use it as a sleeve if you wanted to. The straps might be cumbersome though since they are sewn onto the bag and can't detach.

Hope that helps some...

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
I think the bag is thin, even after putting in the charger (which gives it the slightest bulge). However, depending on how large of a backpack your'e talking about, it'd be weird to put the Level8 bag within a bag. If you plan to carry a backpack around, perhaps you're looking more for a sleeve, than a dedicated laptop bag. What I'm saying is, it'd be more comfortable carrying the Level8 bag on its own. That's how it's meant to be.

Having said that, you could use it as a sleeve if you wanted to. The straps might be cumbersome though since they are sewn onto the bag and can't detach.

Hope that helps some...

I agree with your point about sleeve is for bagpack and bag is just a bag, not in another bag.

maybe I am going for a hybrid? I put all my stuff in the bagpack when I leave in the morning, once I'm on campus, say library, I really just want my MBA with me everywhere I go (for security purpose also), I care less about my bagpack.

I have a camping bagpack, so the incase is small enough to fit. As for sleeves, I've had them for my old laptop, not a fan of it. That incase looks more professional for a grad student.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
To the original post:

I notice right now on Amazon someone is selling the black version for brand new for $30. You might want to snag that.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
I had the colcasac zagora sleeve for my 11" air (g/f also has one for her 13") and they're both nice sleeves. I also used a speck shell so it fit with that nicely, but the feet from the shell have started to catch on the sheepskin lining, so I've bought the incase Terra, It's fairly pricey but very good quality and well padded.

My g/f also has the incase carry case that you linked in your first post. I managed to get it for £6.50 on ebay, it was used but v.good condition. Also good quality, inner fleece lining is nice, and the pockets are useful too.

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
The best bag in the world is the STM small alley shoulder bag, google it, I am picking one up from the Apple Store this weekend for my 11" macbook air (although the small alley is made for 13" notebooks), it can also fit your iPad, book, charger, etc.

I highly recommend it since it is only $40

Last edited:

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
To the original post:

I notice right now on Amazon someone is selling the black version for brand new for $30. You might want to snag that.

I just saw your post. argh, I wish I got it. MacRumors doesn't notify you unless you are being quoted, ugh, why?

Sometimes quoting is just not necessary, but OP definitely wants to know if someone replied.

Honestly, facebook did a better job on this one.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
The best bag in the world is the STM small alley shoulder bag, google it, I am picking one up from the Apple Store this weekend for my 11" macbook air (although the small alley is made for 13" notebooks), it can also fit your iPad, book, charger, etc.

I highly recommend it since it is only $40

https://www.google.com/search?q=STM...ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CCQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=690
The first 2 is what you are talking about? I think that's a little large for MBA, but not enough for a backpack. What do I mean?

I say large backpack because:
1. I put a textbooks or two in there besides the regular, especially on rainy days, saves you lots from water damage.

2. I stuff everything to the bag when I'm in a hurry, from cloth to mug.

Small Macbook bag,
As I mentioned, I take my MBA with me everywhere I go. A bag with pocket for charger will be the best.

----------

I had the colcasac zagora sleeve for my 11" air (g/f also has one for her 13") and they're both nice sleeves. I also used a speck shell so it fit with that nicely, but the feet from the shell have started to catch on the sheepskin lining, so I've bought the incase Terra, It's fairly pricey but very good quality and well padded.

My g/f also has the incase carry case that you linked in your first post. I managed to get it for £6.50 on ebay, it was used but v.good condition. Also good quality, inner fleece lining is nice, and the pockets are useful too.

yeah, I might head over to ebay, I am not an experienced ebay user. Deals like you mentioned probably don't last long. Thanks for the heads up!

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
https://www.google.com/search?q=STM...ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CCQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=690
The first 2 is what you are talking about? I think that's a little large for MBA, but not enough for a backpack. What do I mean?

I say large backpack because:
1. I put a textbooks or two in there besides the regular, especially on rainy days, saves you lots from water damage.

2. I stuff everything to the bag when I'm in a hurry, from cloth to mug.

Small Macbook bag,
As I mentioned, I take my MBA with me everywhere I go. A bag with pocket for charger will be the best.

----------

yeah, I might head over to ebay, I am not an experienced ebay user. Deals like you mentioned probably don't last long. Thanks for the heads up!

It should fit fine with a MBA 13", and it has other pockets for your iPad or notebooks/textbooks as well. I am probably buying it this weekend if my Apple Store has any in stock and I'll tell you about it if I get.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
It should fit fine with a MBA 13", and it has other pockets for your iPad or notebooks/textbooks as well. I am probably buying it this weekend if my Apple Store has any in stock and I'll tell you about it if I get.

yes, let me know what you think. Maybe you can post a pic after you get it?

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
yes, let me know what you think. Maybe you can post a pic after you get it?

Well I didn't get it today, probably getting it tomorrow although I was just browsing some old post your Mac Setups threads and I found someone with the STM Small Alley Bag I was talking about, click the link here to view it, the picture is the one on the right.

Here is what he has in the bag:
MBA 11", iPad, Wacom Intuos Tablet, some pens and a notebook.
you could use the space where the is Wacom for a textbook or two and their is space for the charger in the smaller pocket and a few notebooks in the front pocket. Let me know what you think of this picture, will this bag suit you?
P.S. Even though he has an 11" MBA, this bag is made for 13" and works fine with either

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I got crystal cases for my MBAs, best thing to do I think, makes it robust and keeps it slim still.

I can drop it in pretty much any bag and not worry about it.

The CNC'd case of the MBA is very strong, and the crystal case protects against scratches and knocks.

Plus, you barely notice it!

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
I got crystal cases for my MBAs, best thing to do I think, makes it robust and keeps it slim still.

I can drop it in pretty much any bag and not worry about it.

The CNC'd case of the MBA is very strong, and the crystal case protects against scratches and knocks.

Plus, you barely notice it!

what is a crystal case?

----------

Well I didn't get it today, probably getting it tomorrow although I was just browsing some old post your Mac Setups threads and I found someone with the STM Small Alley Bag I was talking about, click the link here to view it, the picture is the one on the right.

Here is what he has in the bag:
MBA 11", iPad, Wacom Intuos Tablet, some pens and a notebook.
you could use the space where the is Wacom for a textbook or two and their is space for the charger in the smaller pocket and a few notebooks in the front pocket. Let me know what you think of this picture, will this bag suit you?
P.S. Even though he has an 11" MBA, this bag is made for 13" and works fine with either

Yes, I see the bag.

Seems like I am either getting a big backpack or I am getting a skinny sleeve. Can I get a compromise? It's not that hard, someone design and make money NOW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.