Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Can someone please confirm this for me.

As I understand it - come June 2012, mobile me will shut down.

In order to keep your email address ( .me / .mac ) you will have to upgrade to Lion - and sign up for iCloud.

In order to do this you will have to upgrade the a Mac capable of running Lion - i.e. one with the right Intel processor ( Intel Core Duo? ).

Is this right?

It seems a bit unfair that my girlfriend will have to upgrade her entire kit just to retain her email address - something she can ill-afford to do?:mad:

heliocentric

Nov 26, 2008
I'm pretty sure you can check your emails on any system. You just wont be able to use the iCloud sync features.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
You are right that you have to upgrade to iCloud, but you don't have to upgrade to Lion to do it. You will still be able to use the web portal and sync across iOS devices, but you won't be able to sync directly with the Mac unless you upgrade to Lion.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
You can actually transition your MobileMe addresses to iCloud and still use your email under Snow Leopard (and earlier) versions of OS X.

See this Apple knowledge base document. It tells you what you need to know including how to transition your @mac.com and @me.com addresses to iCloud. Neither Lion nor iOS 5 is needed for this.

sandimacd

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
FL
You can actually transition your MobileMe addresses to iCloud and still use your email under Snow Leopard (and earlier) versions of OS X.

See this Apple knowledge base document. It tells you what you need to know including how to transition your @mac.com and @me.com addresses to iCloud. Neither Lion nor iOS 5 is needed for this.

I just wet to that link on from my Touch and it said I needed to do so from a Mac. I then tried from my Mac under 10.6 and it wants me to get Lion. Very confusing.
Will I keep getting and sending @me.com email using just my Touch after July 1st? I need to sync anything because I only use my Touch to access the @me.com account. I am not planning to use iCloud at all.

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
10.6 still has a very large user base (bigger than 10.7), why does Apple choose to ignore these users?

I hope 10.6.9 has some iCloud relief for Snow Leopard users.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I just wet to that link on from my Touch and it said I needed to do so from a Mac. I then tried from my Mac under 10.6 and it wants me to get Lion. Very confusing.
Will I keep getting and sending @me.com email using just my Touch after July 1st? I need to sync anything because I only use my Touch to access the @me.com account. I am not planning to use iCloud at all.
I guess the parts I was thinking about don't stand out.

First you need to transition your MobileMe address to iCloud.

And then you can access your mail using this information to help add the account back in to Mail.

I did this all under 10.6.8 with no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.