Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colasau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Hi! I'm new to the forum, so a hello to you all!! :)

I wanna get a new mac, this is my first mac. But am having some trouble in getting a conclusion on which should I buy; so here I am.

There are two options in my mind:

Mac Mini 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 with 4MB on-chip shared L3 cache
4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory (RAM)
AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 memory
1x 500GB (5400-rpm) hard drive

OR

Mac Mini 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache
4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory (RAM)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
2x 500GB (7200-rpm) hard drives

I'm going to use the Mac Mini for:
- Basic Stuff (Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Chrome...)
- Full HD Video Editing (iMovie/Finalcut; Exclude special effects)
- Full HD video playback without lag
- Playing Games (Things like New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Galaxy 2...) via Dolphin (See http://goo.gl/vvPoV and http://goo.gl/j7apu for details)

Please assist me in deciding my new Mac Mini. Any replies will be appreciated.

PS: I'll be connecting to a DVI (1680*1050) display usually, sometimes HDMI (1920*1080) display, but never Thunderbolt (2560*1400) Displays

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
The server model (Mac Mini 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7) appears to be more appropriate to you in consideration of what you will do with it.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Either will do the job, but i'd go for the server spec personally to get the quad core.

The things you're planning on doing will not stress the 3d subsystem at all, but you will see a benefit from more cores in productivity type apps.

colasau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Will the difference between 5400-rpm and 7200-rpm be a huge one?

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Will the difference between 5400-rpm and 7200-rpm be a huge one?

WELL the 7200 rpm drive is faster but you also get 2 of them vs 1 so 1tb of storage vs 500gb.

Also if you have diy skills adding 8gb ram and pulling one of the 500gb hdds and putting in a ssd is not that hard.

the ram is really easy to do. putting in an ssd is a bit harder. here is a link for the server at a good price.

http://www.jr.com/apple/pe/APP_MC936LL_SL_A/

you can get 5% off that if you use a discover card

colasau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
First of all, thanks for all the prompt replies! :D

The things you're planning on doing will not stress the 3d subsystem at all, but you will see a benefit from more cores in productivity type apps.

Actually may I ask what type of tasks will stress the 3d subsystem? :confused:

WELL the 7200 rpm drive is faster

May I ask by how much? Is there significant difference when I'm doing tasks mentioned previously?

Here is a link for the server at a good price.

http://www.jr.com/apple/pe/APP_MC936LL_SL_A/

you can get 5% off that if you use a discover card

Thanks for the link, but do you think they'll ship it to Hong Kong? I live in HK...

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
First of all, thanks for all the prompt replies! :D

Actually may I ask what type of tasks will stress the 3d subsystem? :confused:

May I ask by how much? Is there significant difference when I'm doing tasks mentioned previously?

Thanks for the link, but do you think they'll ship it to Hong Kong? I live in HK...

Searched Google quick and found that for typical everyday performance it's a matter of a few seconds in terms of load and processing times. However, for high-disk-using apps like for Audio and Video editing, it'll create a bottleneck on the system. You may want to strongly consider the 7200 RPM drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.